• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Lol I spontaneously made one (2 actually) for TPP a while back. Didn't know you had to volunteer or anything

You don't have to but it'd be best to at least ensure nobody else has claimed the OT you're about to create.

Deques

Looks like my Swedish translation of Enhanced Steam has kicked in to the latest version. I see a lot of errors, that's because I didn't know where the text are being used and the translation seems weird now that they are being used.

Looks like my Swedish translation of Enhanced Steam has kicked in to the latest version. I see a lot of errors, that's because I didn't know where the text are being used and the translation seems weird now that they are being used.
I'm checking mine as well, Steam is slow!

All you guys sitting at your thousands of games. Meanwhile I'm at 122. What should be my 123rd?
If you haven't bought it already, Gunman Clive is probably a good choice.
It's made by a fellow Gaffer I believe, so it'd be cool to support them.

It's a very small simple game that plays a lot like Megaman 1 and 2, it's also pretty short like 110m~ so it's a nice little fun game to play for an afternoon.

JaseC

That seems to be the site of a key reseller, so you run the risk of either purchasing a used key or having your game revoked later down the track as proof of purchase resides on the reseller's end, not yours (i.e. you have no recourse if the reseller decides to raise a duplicate CD key support ticket with Valve).

aku:jiki

I really don't see what I'm missing with Gunman Clive... People in this thread seem to love it and it has all positive reviews on Steam, but I hated the drab graphics, the dull music, the floaty controls and the severe lack of action in the first two levels.

_hekk05

Banned
Lol I just had the most one-sided dota 2 game ever.

Earthshaker with 13 min blink and arcanes, in lane with mirana, got first blood, total 2 kills, 7 assists. Enemy tidehunter raged quit after we won all lanes

Match id 578394601

edit: wrong thread lol

JaseC

I'd forgotten that the original Carmageddon has a credit/money cap of $999,999. I'm still one rank away from being able to upgrade my car again. On a related note, it'd be smart of Stainless to bring over Carma and Carma 2 from GOG to drum up interest in Reincarnation but who knows when or even if that'll happen (I asked months ago but was ignored).

When gaming, is it better to use your monitors native resolution or is it okay to go higher?

If you want to go higher, downsample.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm fairly certain I gave someone this Steam key, but in case I haven't (which is a slim chance, honestly) here is a key for Cryostasis, which is no longer available on Steam (horror game kind of like BioShock): BR9X4-Q66XY-AQQAZ Used

Tell me if it works or not whoever ends up using it first, so I can remove it (so people can keep trying), and out of curiosity for my own sake.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
That seems to be the site of a key reseller, so you run the risk of either purchasing a used key or having your game revoked later down the track as proof of purchase resides on the reseller's end, not yours (i.e. you have no recourse if the reseller decides to raise a duplicate CD key support ticket with Valve).

I remembered Amazon had it for 9.99 dollars.

Guess I'll wait for next amazon or steam sale then.

Thanks for the feedback guys

I really don't see what I'm missing with Gunman Clive... People in this thread seem to love it and it has all positive reviews on Steam, but I hated the drab graphics, the dull music, the floaty controls and the severe lack of action in the first two levels.
That's understandable, it is a very, very simplistic game.
But that's what I like about it, it's simple to pick up and play, there's really not that much to it.

It can get difficult at times(especially on hard mode, or in duck mode) but it's just a pretty relaxing game to play.

Arthea

Apparently Falcom recently released Trails trilogy for win8 in Japan, and we still wait for our first game on steam. Talk about unfair!

oipic

It's been $9.99 a few times. So tempting, but I need to get back into CK2 first... I keep buying DLC for it.

$7.50-ish might not be too far away for EU4 - Paradox are pretty aggressive with their sale pricing when they have new DLC to push (as you would know all too well, Firebrand!).

I'm fairly certain I gave someone this Steam key, but in case I haven't (which is a slim chance, honestly) here is a key for Cryostasis, which is no longer available on Steam (horror game kind of like BioShock): BR9X4-Q66XY-AQQAZ

Tell me if it works or not whoever ends up using it first, so I can remove it (so people can keep trying), and out of curiosity for my own sake.

It appears that it has indeed been used, Dusk.

Copons

I said much of a distinction, not a distinction. Valve saying it's working on fixing things may instil a warm, fuzzy feeling within those who are worried that Steam is going to collapse and Valve is going to go out of business and people will be left with many-thousand-dollar accounts that are now worthless and Gabe Newell will flee the US to live in secrecy in the Caribbean, but it doesn't actually begin to resolve anything. It should go without saying that Valve is aware of the downtime issues.

No, see, it's not about being fuzzy (even though I always appreciate some fuzzyness every now and then), but just, like, common courtesy?

Valve right now is in a position where it shouldn't screw up. Between Steam Machines and the somewhat rising PC faction in the once called console war (and before that PC vs console war, or whatever, because we live in the BSG universe where everything has happened and will happen again), they have to show their service rocks, and the better way is literally making their service rock solid.

I'm trying to bring some of my console-lover/singleplayer-lover friends into TF2, it being free, fun and kinda easy to learn, but fuck it's hard when you create a party and 9 out of 10 times you get kicked out because game coordinator (aka server) feels bitchy.

Or because the voice chat doesn't work flawlessly like Xbox Live one. I mean, on XBL you just plug the mic, invite some guys, and that's it.
On a Valve games you have to bring up the overlay browser searching for a solution just to find out that there are people who can't solve their issues since 2011 (true story happened to me yesterday with L4D2). Does Valve acknowledges that their voice chat sucks? I don't know because they're secretive. Or better: they probably acknowledge, but are they gonna fix it anytime soon or... like... ever?

Of course voice chat isn't in the same order of importance of servers outages, but I think it's a great example of how these things often work with them.

Point is: yesterday I had to spend good hours trying to set up a goddamn party, ending with playing at 2 to 3 AM, with no voice enabled (except for an aussie kid who thought we were Spanish speaking Koreans and started to talk about the Crimea crisis accusing me of the fact that Putin is kinda bad), and now I'm too tired to get some work done, so heck if I'm grumpy with their behaviour right now.
Good job Valve! :'(

JaseC

Valve right now is in a position where it shouldn't screw up.

Yeah, it's not as though Valve lacks the resources to handle issues pertaining to server capacity/reliability and I don't think anybody would disagree that the current downtime troubles have gone on long enough.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
A second Steam key, this one I actually do not think I've given to anyone, for Huntsman: The Orphanage. This one I am going to put in an email box, so you can only see it if quote the message. If it is used, I apologize though. Whoever decides to use it, please notify if you have, and if it did or did not work. I'll write in an underlined message 'used' at the bottom of this post once it has been/confirmed it has been used.

Arthea

Yeah, it's not as though Valve lacks the resources to handle issues pertaining to server capacity/reliability and I don't think anybody would disagree that the current downtime issues have gone on long enough.

If even we were to forget downtime issue (which isn't forgettable), the instability of client as of late is exasperating: something isn't working as it supposed to half of the time, if store is loading, community is down, if community is working, store doesn't load, it both work, there is no way to access badges or inventory, or search don't work, etc. Really, we are tied by our libraries, but I don't see why would new people stick with service like that.
Only hope we have is that Valve knows about it and is trying to do something. It would be nice to hear from them that they are trying, though.

Copons

Yeah, it's not as though Valve lacks the resources to handle issues pertaining to server capacity/reliability and I don't think anybody would disagree that the current downtime issues have gone on long enough.

Not sure if serious, but in case of irony, pardon me!

Ok, I can understand they're undermanned, but even without entering in the magic realm of hiring more people, there are services that shouldn't go down.
Like they switched to Akamai, how is it even possible that Steam is the only one Akamai powered site that goes down ten times a day?
And Akamai shouldn't work like a TF2 sentries with Valve engineers hitting the servers with their wrenches until they run out of metal, but it should be Akamai people doing that.

Anyway, what I meant with the sentence you quoted is that even if you're undermanned, underpowered, underskilled or whatever, customers are dumb people: you just have to write on Twitter: "I'm sorry we're fixing!" and everyone will love you forever because you're showing so much dedication to your userbase.

At this point the only explanation I can think of is that in all that desks rolling around the office, they lost the post-it where they wrote down their Twitter password and they just cannot release new statements. :(

If even we were to forget downtime issue (which isn't forgettable), the instability of client as of late is exasperating: something isn't working as it supposed to half of the time, if store is loading, community is down, if community is working, store doesn't load, it both work, there is no way to access badges or inventory, or search don't work, etc. Really, we are tied by our libraries, but I don't see why would new people stick with service like that.
Only hope we have is that Valve knows about it and is trying to do something. It would be nice to hear from them that they are trying, though.

Speaking of bugs, I've had this problem for about a month now.
EkurHVv.png
My average game completion rate is set to 0%, I've contacted steam support and they told me to "flush config"(or something like that) and to make sure that my network is optimized for steam.

Neither of those things worked, and so I'm stuck with a 0% completion rate.
Am I just going to have to wait until Steam fixes it randomly or is there a way to fix this?
'cause it is REALLY annoying.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if serious, but in case of irony, pardon me!

Ok, I can understand they're undermanned, but even without entering in the magic realm of hiring more people, there are services that shouldn't go down.
Like they switched to Akamai, how is it even possible that Steam is the only one Akamai powered site that goes down ten times a day?
And Akamai shouldn't work like a TF2 sentries with Valve engineers hitting the servers with their wrenches until they run out of metal, but it should be Akamai people doing that.

Anyway, what I meant with the sentence you quoted is that even if you're undermanned, underpowered, underskilled or whatever, customers are dumb people: you just have to write on Twitter: "I'm sorry we're fixing!" and everyone will love you forever because you're showing so much dedication to your userbase.

At this point the only explanation I can think of is that in all that desks rolling around the office, they lost the post-it where they wrote down their Twitter password and they just cannot release new statements. :(
I don't think Jase was disagreeing with you.

My average game completion rate is set to 0%, I've contacted steam support and they told me to "flush config"(or something like that) and to make sure that my network is optimized for steam.

Am I just going to have to wait until Steam fixes it randomly or is there a way to fix this?
How many games do you have? 10 out of 2500 would be pretty close to 0%.

JaseC

I think the backbone of the store is still very much Valve's own servers rather than Akamai's. The change is very recent so I suspect things are still ongoing in that regard.

Valve's never been one to talk, though. ;)

Edit: Oh, and yeah, I wasn't disagreeing.

aku:jiki

I don't know exactly how the Steam client works but that just sounds silly to me. What would your network setup have to do with how their server calculates your completion percentage? Sounds like you hit a shitty support tech IMO, might be worth giving it another shot.

(It helps if you can confirm that it shows 0% on multiple machines and say that in your first message to them.)

Arthea

aww, that sounds bad, and it is annoying, even if that percentage is totally wrong (><)
I don't see how it can be problem on your end, though. But Valve knows best, no?

JaseC

Vis-a-vis the client, two things still annoy me greatly:

- The first CD key registering instance in the the current instance of the client freezing up the client for a good 10 or so seconds, and
- Verifying a game's cache completely locking you out of the rest of the client (although you can cancel the process, of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom