• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV - For me it was Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
Opinions on The Secret World? I might just bite.

Also, R.I.P.D The Game..... not sure if I should stock up on that or not. Cant think that Atlus will hold the license for long, but not sure if it will be 75% before that.

okay

1. Source 2 reveal this year? y/n

2. Which event?

1. y
2. I wanna be optimistic and say before E3. PAX. Because there's always a likelihood L4D3 will be on a console stage and they probably want to debut it beforehand.

Lunaniem

okay

2. Which event?

1. y
2. I wanna be optimistic and say before E3. PAX. Because there's always a likelihood L4D3 will be on a console stage and they probably want to debut it beforehand.

If not at PAX, I feel a good chance of L4D3 on Source 2, appearing on the Sony stage E3. :p

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Opinions on The Secret World? I might just bite.

I liked it during the time I played it during a free weekend or open beta or whatever it was I played.

I'm curious about what the difference between Massive Edition and vanilla is. Anybody know how much content is actually in "Issues 5, 6, and 7?"

Yeah, I can see it on Sony stage too, since that would be another "steal" for them, like, say Bungie. Sony would want that.

But I doubt they're going to debut Source 2 there. Well it would be a trailer made with SFM2, but still.... They're a PC company first.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
[SPOILER]Come on, don't be proud.[/SPOILER][/QUOTE]

[SPOILER]I'm not.[/SPOILER] Thanks for Sparkle 2 Evo, it looks fLow and I'm bound to be disappointed it's not, but at least I might have fun.

[quote="Grief.exe, post: 106447016"]Shelter 2 just announced. Release date set for Fall 2014 on Steam/GOG.

[url]http://mightanddelight.com/index.php?page=shelter2#main[/url][/QUOTE]

Wonderful news, loved the first one and a sequel has so much to make it even better.

[quote="Accent, post: 106397336"]I was wondering, after reading a post on the previous page... what's your philosophy about acquiring new games on Steam? I mean, obviously everyone buys games they want to play, when they reach a price that they deem low enough in relation to their impatience. But what about games that you [I]don't really[/I] want to play, or wouldn't mind playing but can wait indefinitely for?

At what price do you think it's fine to get these games?
And do you get them primarily to have them in your collection (at which point you're playing the [I]Steam [/I]game, which is fine by me), or because you want to support the devs by a tiny amount (better than nothing) - or maybe because you want to have them [I]in case[/I] you find yourself wanting to play them in the future?
Or do you simply try not impulse-buying anything at all, and only get what you're at least somewhat interested in? (That's what I do, but even then I know that I'll only ever play 10-20% of my Steam games...)[/QUOTE]

I try to avoid just having games in a collection, digital or not, that I'm never going to play because I know I don't like them or will never play them due to pure dislike. At worst I'll get a title from a low price point, a bundle, a gift, or a Monkey Paw wish that ends up unplayable (Order of War: Challenge for example) or simple just no fun for me to play and they will sit there.
Due to that avoidance, I don't get games primarily just to have in a collection, that need and issue is already taken care of my physical collection of every Sonic The Hedgehog game released that I've never falling down the White Rabbit hole of digital collecting.

Now titles I can wait to play, aye of that I have plenty. Due to the fact I'll replay games eventually, I have no problem purchasing a titles such as Dark Souls or Arkham Asylum or Super Hexagon that I already own on another device because I will most likely want to play it to competition again on different hardware with a fresh set of unlocked goals/achievements to strive for. Also mods of course.
There are plenty of titles I have never played yet, be it The Wonderful End Of The World or Eldritch or Constant C on Steam that I purchased because I'm either rather sure or at least rather hopeful I can enjoy, but at a low enough price/bundle that it's not a great loss if it turns out to be a title I just won't enjoy (e.g. Critical Mass, I couldn't get into it).

The issue of price has never been a set thing for me, between using different currencies and never having a core rule of value (number of hours doesn't equal a price value for example), so it's a matter of how I feel at any given time and judging what else I could have bought for the price I spend at that specific time. For example Arkham Origins for $10 USD was perfectly worth it to me because I know I'll get full enjoyment out of it, but $5 USD for Star Trek The Video Game I couldn't justify because I'm not certain I would enjoy the entire run and for the amount of money I would have spent, I bought LEGO Marvel Super Heroes instead. However I have also bought Shadow Warrior Classic Redux and Duke Nukem 3D together at roughly $5 USD converted as it was a good deal for two classic titles in my mind and there was nothing else I wanted to purchase at the time even though a few weeks later plenty a bundle I could have bought instead for the same price.

Now I will support a company because I like their products even though I might not get around to them for a while. I want more titles from Platinum Studios and Konami on Steam, so Metal Gear Rising pre-ordered was of no concern for me at the same price I would have paid had I gotten it new on home console. I'll add in something extra to bundles for their "tips" if given the option, as being in the game industry myself I know how much it can be appreciated for smaller companies and especially indie titles. I think generally fun, interesting, and unique/special games like Shelter or Super House Of Dead Ninjas or Really Big Sky or AntiChamber or Walking Mars or Just Cause 2 (due to multiplayer mod) deserve support so I'll pay a decent price for them rather than wait for "so low no one really sees a profit off of it" level.
In the end it simply has to feel "worth it" to me, and I'm okay with that not being full price unless I want to play it instantly due to spoilers, see Dark Souls II and Wolf Among Us or it's simply too much fun and how could I not want to play it right away like Goat Simulator or They Typing Of The Dead Overkill.

No matter what I get however, it does have to be something I will play eventually. A nice big collection is nice to look at and I fully understand the sense of pride behind it, but it's not for and I will play every game I own at least once.

Why this long response back? I'm on a train and needed something to respond back to pass the time with, so thanks for that.

Knurek

And you reminded me that I need to get the Deus Ex soundtrack in .mp3 format. And play Invisible War and Human Revolution.

Why would you need that? The game (as loads of UE1 games) uses standard demoscene modules, playable by just about any good music player (maybe even by Winamp).
Just load the UMX files from MUSIC folder, and you're good to go (or wavewrite them to MP3s if you want them on a portable device).
If you don't have any mod player, I highly suggest XMPlay, which has best MOD replayer quality and natively supports subsongs.

Salsa

Shelter 2 just announced. Release date set for Fall 2014 on Steam/GOG.

http://mightanddelight.com/index.php?page=shelter2#main

shelter2_1.jpg

aw yeah

whoa I wasnt going to bother with Strife, but it has a Mac client. That is crazy. League didnt have a working Mac client for years (and its still pretty buggy)

Nzyme32

okay

2. Which event?

1. y

1. This year, probably with left 4 dead 3
2. I'm assuming they will want to promote steam machines/steamOS releasing with a bunch of other games, so I'd guess they would want to try something a bit unique. Maybe their own consumer focused event

Is there anything in the Indiegala that's worth a look? Kind of interested for Lyne.

Yes I am at the point where I'm being cautious about even spending $1.89 on games.

Do you get two giftable copies of a game if you buy a two pack bundle ? I would like to store them in my inventory for birthday gifts later. Not really familiar with how bundle items work on Steam.

If you guys were to choose an MMO, Guild Wars 2 or The Secret World?

Guild Wars 2. It's one of the few MMOs that I thought were really good and I've been playing it since release. I have 2 max level characters (which is pretty much something that I never do in an MMO.)

I am not sure about The Secret World. I uninstalled it after I tried jumping with my character and seeing one of the worst jumping animations in a game yet.

Is there anything in the Indiegala that's worth a look? Kind of interested for Lyne.

Yes I am at the point where I'm being cautious about even spending $1.89 on games.

That's okay. That's all I want from that bundle too so I'm in the same boat. Aerena and Sparkle 2 Evo are worth checking out as well
but I already own them :p
if you are interested in that kind of thing.

HoosTrax

BkEayyICAAAMS5A.png:large

free update comin
Is Kingdom Rush actually a good game, by PC standards? I've been having a run of bad luck lately, with iOS ports (mainly acquired via bundles). Either they'll keep the IAP, or they'll remove the IAP and neglect to rebalance the game, so it's still 100 levels of the same thing, with the same grind and no way to mitigate it.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
What are those, pumas?
Lynxs pehaps?
Either way I am looking forward to this.

Aye, they be lynxes.

In the link they mention that as well as some improvements to the game, such as stamina and hunting other animals. Only one image for the later, but reindeer should be fun.

oh wait a minute Battleblock beta starts today, right?

Aye, we are just waiting for them to send out the game now.

Kiru

Do you get two giftable copies of a game if you buy a two pack bundle ? I would like to store them in my inventory for birthday gifts later. Not really familiar with how bundle items work on Steam.

Don't think so. Someone else here might enlighten you.

Salsa

Is Kingdom Rush actually a good game, by PC standards? I've been having a run of bad luck lately, with iOS ports (mainly acquired via bundles). Either they'll keep the IAP, or they'll remove the IAP and neglect to rebalance the game, so it's still 100 levels of the same thing, with the same grind and no way to mitigate it.

im biased cause the game is made by friends, but I think in terms of mobile-to-PC ports it ticks all the boxes you should need

as it being a good game; it's largely considered to be one of the best Tower Defense games out there regardless of platform, so if you dig that kinda thing then you'll probably have a good time with it.

fernandes

Those Shelter 2 screenies are looking gorgeous, love the art style. I'll have to grab the first one the next time it's on some bundle.

Volotaire

Thanks, I'll look into it after I have been to the laundry.

How is Shelter 1? I might buy that one. Concept seems interesting.

There's a Shelter 2? Otherwise, as with the above gaffer, I agree. An aesthetically pleasing world to view as well.

EDIT: oh wow those screens!

I'm sure almost everyone already owns these, but, for those who don't, enjoy. :)
Never made a giveaway with stuff from my steam inventory, apologies if I screwed up somewhere.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Left 4 Dead -- MB-A6330AF1277BA347 - Taken by Kirosia
Gun Monkeys -- MB-81CC3A3704A190E9 - Taken by Sammichu

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I would say that of all the mobile-to-PC ports I've played, this is one of the best.

No IAPs - my only gripe is that the difficulty spikes pretty high about half way through the campaign. This kind of falls in the realm of "neglect to rebalance the game", since in the original mobile version you could purchase upgrades using "crystals" that either dropped in-game or that you could buy. They took out the crystals completely as well as the shop to buy upgrades.

It's a pretty minor thing though, and you can reset your "skill tree" at any time to match a particular level to compensate for the lack of "cheats". This itself adds a good bit of strategy to the game so it's not a total loss.

8/10 would play again, especially after the update

Grief.exe

IAP remind me of the arcade design of games during the 90's, where there would be frequent difficulty checks to insure the player continued to put in quarters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom