• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

tumblr_mysk5veP3J1qzp9weo2_r1_250.gif

What's that Mario gif from?
Also if the top 20 Steamgaf games are already posted, could someone type them please? At work and the images don't open up =/

sprinkles

It seems weird to me that old games are making it on the list just because of them being released on Steam in 2013.
That was kinda the point of this GOTY.

But I admit I had trouble at first finding five deserving games that I played actually released in 2013. Most of my gaming time went into the backlog, my "real" first choices I played last year would have been Dark Souls and Mark of the Ninja.

zkylon

zkylewd
Its going to be $3 for those of us with coupons. Can't wait.

oh yeah for 3 bucks you should totally get it

it's also really short, you can go through it in one sitting (took me 3 tho :p). I know people like their games long but I kinda like that

kulapik

So, votes are closed. With a whopping 27 votes, and three dequalified (ಠ_ಠ), the winner(s) were...

Skulls of the Shogun 4
Gunman Clive 3
Stanley 1
Super House of Dead Ninjas 1
Captain Morgane 1
Jet Set Radio 1
Star Wars Jedi Knight Dark Forces II 1
Cart Life 1
Risk of Rain 1
30 Flights Loving 1
Long Live the Queen 1
1000 Amps 1
CSD 1
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth 1
Fallout 3 1
Ballpoint Universe 1

Makin' the giveaway in a few minutes.

cicero

It seems weird to me that old games are making it on the list just because of them being released on Steam in 2013... Where's my King's Quest guys??

This entire vote was Steam specific to begin with. Why wouldn't any game released during the past year on Steam not qualify for a Top Steam Game for 2013 list?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Holy hell, you guys are posting They Live In A Castle GIFs. I didn't realize it was getting popular. Several of the people working on it are long-time friends I've known for ages. So happy for them. <3

oipic

System Shock 2 at #17

Not bad all things considered.

Happy with this.

I wonder how many of those who voted for it had played it for the first time, as opposed to those, like me, who may have had nostalgia-tinted glasses on?

Freezard

Happy with this.

I wonder how many of those who voted for it had played it for the first time, as opposed to those, like me, who may have had nostalgia-tinted glasses on?

Having played it for the first time, a lot of it has to be nostalgia.

idB5Wz5EkXagY.png

IxsjeTZ.png

eGIrTjA.png

dABnPWq.png

Amazing! Must be one hell of a game!

fZYJTRT.png

x0YGTah.png

Soon, if not already, there will be more people playing Dota 2 than every other game on Steam combined. I thought gaf was better then this. Turns out Steamgaf's vote wasnt much different from every other game website. For shame.

Some day we will have to answer to our children for this!

Smash88

Banned
Even with its lack of AAA high production values? ;)

I voted based on what I played in 2013. If I had the time to play and try every other game I might have gone with something else, such as Bioshock Infinite. I just never had the time to try Bioshock Infinite, so it never made my list.

If I had played it, it would be #1 now. As Rogue Legacy was in my #1 spot.

ArjanN

iUTO0KdVVybJM.png

This quote makes it seem like like BI is a great shooter, but the actual gunplay is just OK. It's only really the story and art direction that lift it above the crowd.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Thanks to this list I see that Neo Scavenger is the difficult, complicated, you will die, story driven turn based game that I've been looking for on Steam for a while.

Early access so I will give it a while before I buy it, but I do believe that the demo should provide me plenty to do on this plane ride in a bit.

So, votes are closed. With a whopping 27 votes, and three dequalified (&#3232;_&#3232;), the winner(s) were...

Skulls of the Shogun 4
Gunman Clive 3
Stanley 1
Super House of Dead Ninjas 1
Captain Morgane 1
Jet Set Radio 1
Star Wars Jedi Knight Dark Forces II 1
Cart Life 1
Risk of Rain 1
30 Flights Loving 1
Long Live the Queen 1
1000 Amps 1
CSD 1
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth 1
Fallout 3 1
Ballpoint Universe 1

Makin' the giveaway in a few minutes.

Thank you for doing so, quite kind of you.

If the voting took place after/during the Steam sale I'm sure the results would have been different. I didn't vote for LLTQ or CSD because I hadn't played them at the time but now that I have, I would have had them in my top 5.

Curse the uninformed voter.
ntYMYbC.png

iUTO0KdVVybJM.png

This quote makes it seem like like BI is a great shooter, but the actual gunplay is just OK. It's only really the story and art direction that lift it above the crowd.

Nah, it's a great shooter. Whole package is indeed incredible though. Glad to see that it really is only a vocal minority on GAF who dislike it.

Gamerloid

Also if the top 20 Steamgaf games are already posted, could someone type them please? At work and the images don't open up =/

1 | Rogue Legacy ( 137 Points / 3.512820513 APS )
2 | Bioshock Infinite ( 137 Points / 3.341463415 APS )
3 | Spelunky ( 111 Points / 3.171428571 APS )
4 | Sonic & All-Star Racing Transformed ( 95 Points / 2.878787879 APS )
5 | Papers, Please ( 81 Points / 3.115384615 APS )
6 | DOTA 2 ( 78 Points / 4.333333333 APS )
7 | Fez ( 73 Points / 3.65 APS )
8 | Saints Row IV ( 61 Points / 3.388888889 APS )
9 | Gone Home ( 57 Points / 2.85 APS )
10 | Starbound  ( 51 Points / 3.642857143 APS )
11 | Dust: An Elysian Tail 2 ( 51 Points / 2.684210526 APS )
12 | Tomb Raider ( 51 Points / 2.428571429 APS )
13 | Path of Exile ( 50 Points / 3.125 APS )
14 | The Swapper ( 49 Points / 3.266666667 APS )
15 | The Stanley Parable ( 48 Points / 2.666666667 APS )
16 | Skullgirls ( 41 Points / 2.411764706 APS )
17 | System Shock 2 ( 40 Points / 3.636363636 APS )
18 | Gunpoint ( 40 Points / 2.666666667 APS )
19 | Euro Truck Simulator 2 ( 39 Points / 3.25 APS )
20 | Volgarr the Viking ( 36 Points / 3.6 APS )

Khronico

Eh........ Pretty dissapointed guys. No Teleglitch? No Euro Truck? No Ys Chronicles??? NO TELEGLITCH?????

Edit: If you take the top 20 as an unordered list of good games this year it's pretty good except for a few outliers.

Nzyme32

It seems weird to me that old games are making it on the list just because of them being released on Steam in 2013... Where's my King's Quest guys??

This is a GOTY entirely steam related. It doesn't matter how old they originally were, it only matters that they were released in 2013. To some, those games are new, and to others the games are old. You could claim that people might vote for older games just because of nostalgia, but I'd argue that others don't vote for those games specifically because they are older and not as fresh for those people. I am one of the latter.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
YsVVFxB.png

I'd like to thank everyone who voted for making this possible. 2014 will be the year that my next game will get to #67, or even #65.

Since the developer of Rogue Legacy couldn't be here today I am also accepting his first place award on his behalf.

cicero

Thanks to this list I see that Neo Scavenger is the difficult, complicated, you will die, story driven turn based game that I've been looking for on Steam for a while.

Early access so I will give it a while before I buy it, but I do believe that the demo should provide me plenty to do on this plane ride in a bit.
I am looking forward to this one in its finished state.

Arthea

Mr Orange, good work!

Quennie would be higher (a lot) if vote took place after the sale.

The reason why I find DOTA2 not being in top 5 funny: it is one of most played games on steam, if not most, considering playing hours and amount of people, but I guess it's true that DOTA players not only have no time for other games, but for steam thread and voting too! :)

edited: just noticed how high Path of Exile is! Is it really that good?

I voted based on what I played in 2013. If I had the time to play and try every other game I might have gone with something else, such as Bioshock Infinite. I just never had the time to try Bioshock Infinite, so it never made my list.

If I had played it, it would be #1 now. As Rogue Legacy was in my #1 spot.
Just teasin'.

zkylon

zkylewd
YsVVFxB.png

I'd like to thank everyone who voted for making this possible. 2014 will be the year that my next game will get to #67, or even #65.

Since the developer of Rogue Legacy couldn't be here today I am also accepting his first place award on his behalf.

lol mustache man as unamused as ever

cicero

YsVVFxB.png

haha. I hope you made a bundle during the Steam flash sale!

sprinkles

iUTO0KdVVybJM.png

I must one of the few that really loved the combination of Vigors and Guns and the Sky Rails. Mixing it up every time, never stopping, always moving.
Shadow Warrior is very similar in the way you combine guns, magic-like Karma powers and of course your Sword Abilities.

Must be why both games are #2 and #1 on my list. Liked the story in both, loved the gunplay and graphics.

Jørdan

Some day we will have to answer to our children for this!

Jshackles gets laid though, that's what he did with the other 2053 hrs.

Thanks for the all the work you put into the awards Mr Orange, much appreciated.

My votes:

5. Papers, Please
4. Gone Home
3. System Shock 2
2. Final Fantasy VIII
1. Final Fantasy VII

Turfster

If the vote had been after the sales, you'd have shot to number 1, or at least the top 3 with a bullet. Your game is amazing and you should feel damn proud of it.

Shouldn't there be a separate thread for the SteamGAF awards. It's pretty notable if you ask me.

Mods asked to keep it in the thread so as not to muddy the waters with the overall GAF GOTY (and have people clamoring for extra GOTY threads per system)

Slyjss

Great job with the SteamGAF GOTYs, MrOrange. Those graphs were specially nice. I managed to get 4 of my votes into the top 10, only Proteus was left behind. Like, position 102 behind.

Eh........ Pretty dissapointed guys. No Teleglitch? No Euro Truck? No Ys Chronicles??? NO TELEGLITCH?????

Edit: If you take the top 20 as an unordered list of good games this year it's pretty good except for a few outliers.

More importantly, no risk of rain?! Seriously, so good and addicting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom