• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caerith

Frankly, Game of the Year discussions should wait until said year is over. So like starting discussion in January (or pref. Feb) at the latest. Anything before then is either hype-train or "what did I play this year" from most people. Not a good "critical" view of "Oh, I enjoyed this and I enjoyed it because xyz."

At least that's how it generally is for me.

Not saying Cook, Serve, Delicious would make my list by the way. I have it but I still haven't gotten around to downloading it and trying it.
The "games from 2013 you played in 2013" rule meant I only voted for three games myself. Most of what I played this year wasn't from 2013, or, if it was, I didn't get around to playing it until after voting closed.

ZeroCoin

Very cool to see those results. I will say that CSD definitely would have made my personal top 5 had I played it before voting closed.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Why is Shadow Warrior twice in the list?
Other than that the top 10 is solid, minus Infinite.

Original and remake I would imagine.

Can't say I wanted to vote in that one despite my love and support for those on the independent level. Restricting it to just PC is a shame as far as I'm concerned because the last thing threads celebrating independent titles needs is fan-made barriers blocking things.
I would say differently if it was the "PC indie thread" of course. Just as I say nothing here about not including Desura for our little vote.

Rogue Legacy?

Rogue Legacy over Spelunky?

tumblr_mysk5veP3J1qzp9weo2_r1_250.gif

Oh well, after Skyrim and Metal Gear Solid 4 I shouldn't be surprised.

Copons

Oh hey I'm on TV! Hi ma!!

I like Copon's quote. Copons if you are here you are now in my Cool-Book-of-Quotes. May your adventures in Dark Souls return soon.

You better upgrade your book to Cool-Book-of-Quotes-from-Cool-People!

YsVVFxB.png

I'd like to thank everyone who voted for making this possible. 2014 will be the year that my next game will get to #67, or even #65.

Since the developer of Rogue Legacy couldn't be here today I am also accepting his first place award on his behalf.

This guy!

CSD best sleeper hit ever, if only it had a sale earlier it would have surely been in the top 10!
I've probably thanked you dozens of times already here and there, but anyway, thank you again for a great
fucking time consuming holy mother of god need to get some work done every now and then
game!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Congrats Turfster for winning Continue?. Tell us how it is, I'm in the curious boat on it too but don't have the funds for it this month after sales.

kulapik

So I have not one,but TWO Skulls of the Shogun copies to give away, good luck! Gunman Clive might join tomorrow.

ModBot said:
Instructions for kulapik:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Skulls of the Shogun #1 -- MB-3D9A7C68AE7C1CB3 - Taken by Dusk Golem. 71 entrants total.
Skulls of the Shogun #2 -- MB-04DA484ED3DA3085

t1388964583z1.png

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
And with our results in, let us return to DerrickCam. He's just discovered that our winner was an indie game, indies edged out over higher budget titles by a matter of one game, and Bioshock Infinite almost took first. Michelle, if you'd be so kind.

*click*

i2TGWlCL3dHFp.gif

Spelunky: can't play it because of spidahs. I imagine I would've liked this game
Sonic & All-Star Racing Transformed: never liked mario kart so much, won't prolly like this one
For what it's worth, you could probably contact some sprite artist to draw up some... fluffier / cuter spiders to replace the ones in Spelunky via modding.

There are a lot of differences between Mario Kart and Sonic Racing: Transformed, so the comparison doesn't really hold up. If you like challenging games where skill matters most, you'd probably like Transformed with even the slightest of interest in racing games.

Arthea

Bioshock Infinite is "[...]one of the best shooters, if not the best out there on pc[...]' now?

I can see why people like it so much and I don't think they like because it is a shooter, I think it would have made much better adventure game, but everything has to be shooter to sell, at least that's what industry people think.

Dr Dogg

Frankly, Game of the Year discussions should wait until said year is over. So like starting discussion in January (or pref. Feb) at the latest. Anything before then is either hype-train or "what did I play this year" from most people. Not a good "critical" view of "Oh, I enjoyed this and I enjoyed it because xyz."

At least that's how it generally is for me.

Not saying Cook, Serve, Delicious would make my list by the way. I have it but I still haven't gotten around to downloading it and trying it.

Yeah I know what you mean. MRORANGE did say in his summary post ideas for 2014 that the Poll to run between late December/January instead of early December.

Though I think most of the problem with Steam purchasing habits of quite a few of us is that we gather up quiet a few titles at once and some times can be a year or 2 before installing them. There's quiet a lot of stuff from 2013 that I've either bought earlier in the year or the sale just finished that I have no idea when I'm going to get round to trying let alone finishing to give an honest reflection.

denx

And with our results in, let us return to DerrickCam. He's just discovered that our winner was an indie game, indies edged out over higher budget titles by a matter of one game, and Bioshock Infinite almost took first. Michelle, if you'd be so kind.

*click*

i2TGWlCL3dHFp.gif

hahahahah

RIP Derrick never forget

Dec

I don't remember, was there a thread for voting?

Seems like the guys in the Dota thread didn't even know the award thing was happening.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The "games from 2013 you played in 2013" rule meant I only voted for three games myself. Most of what I played this year wasn't from 2013, or, if it was, I didn't get around to playing it until after voting closed.

Right. The way I see if, GotY discussions should have a minimum of six months to a full year from the previous year to let the games sit and stew for critical opinions. The way I see it, I can't really take too many lists seriously.

Then again, you have that "MGS4 GotY 2008" fiasco that did a recount and HEY WHAT DO YOU KNOW: MGS4 REALLY WAS A GOOD GAME IN 2008! from like two years back, so...

Tizoc

1 | Rogue Legacy ( 137 Points / 3.512820513 APS )
2 | Bioshock Infinite ( 137 Points / 3.341463415 APS )
3 | Spelunky ( 111 Points / 3.171428571 APS )
4 | Sonic & All-Star Racing Transformed ( 95 Points / 2.878787879 APS )
5 | Papers, Please ( 81 Points / 3.115384615 APS )
6 | DOTA 2 ( 78 Points / 4.333333333 APS )
7 | Fez ( 73 Points / 3.65 APS )
8 | Saints Row IV ( 61 Points / 3.388888889 APS )
9 | Gone Home ( 57 Points / 2.85 APS )
10 | Starbound  ( 51 Points / 3.642857143 APS )
11 | Dust: An Elysian Tail 2 ( 51 Points / 2.684210526 APS )
12 | Tomb Raider ( 51 Points / 2.428571429 APS )
13 | Path of Exile ( 50 Points / 3.125 APS )
14 | The Swapper ( 49 Points / 3.266666667 APS )
15 | The Stanley Parable ( 48 Points / 2.666666667 APS )
16 | Skullgirls ( 41 Points / 2.411764706 APS )
17 | System Shock 2 ( 40 Points / 3.636363636 APS )
18 | Gunpoint ( 40 Points / 2.666666667 APS )
19 | Euro Truck Simulator 2 ( 39 Points / 3.25 APS )
20 | Volgarr the Viking ( 36 Points / 3.6 APS )

Thanks, glad to see my fellow SteamGAFfers have such good appreciative taste in gaming
...more so than the fact that they actually played their games.

rather funny seeing Bioshock Infinite up there what with it having some naysayers on GAF.

rtcn63

I can see why people like it so much and I don't think they like because it is a shooter, I think it would have made much better adventure game, but everything has to be shooter to sell, at least that's what industry people think.

I don't think the story is strong enough to sell the game without the shooting elements. I actually quite liked Infinite, even if it was a quantifiable disappointment compared to the previous two games. But it's technically the third in a series, and sequels, whether direct or not, rarely meet/surpass the original. (Okay this may not be true but I'm going with it) I personally never expected the game of the year or generation, and I did have more fun than not.

I'd play Infinite over Fez any day, having tried it for an hour or two. (I'd play any game on the list over Fez) I see nothing engaging other than the collect-a-thon for the OCD, at least not for me. I even preferred Infinite far over Rogue Legacy, which was still a decent game in itself.

You also cannot vote for Long Live the Queen there.

Wasn't in any of the previous threads, wasn't played by anyone who isn't writing this sentence.

Yes you can:

[
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Which games can we vote on? |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

... or any other PC Indie game that released in 2013 up until December 1st, in case we missed including a particular favourite game of yours.

FloatOn

I'm honored to have been quoted.

iicGrkt4jwhxc.png

If it makes you mario kart fans feel any better I think mario kart 8 looks really great.

A quote from realityexists but it's not from Castlevania? I'm lost!

But yes, decent game, need to play it more, own it twice.

Sorry Monk. I played Castlevania after I cast my vote.

Curious_George

Neo Member
my opinions

Rogue Legacy: haven't bought it because people keep telling me it's grindy. I'm not a big fan of metroidvanias or roguelikes and I appreciate some of what's it doing but it really didn't excite me too much
Bioshock Infinite: loved it, as much as I think the combat is pretty crap. deserved a high spot imo
Spelunky: can't play it because of spidahs. I imagine I would've liked this game

Rogue Legacy is not a metroidvania. Also, Spelunky is more roguelike than Rogue Legacy. One of the reasons I don't enjoy Spelunky that much is its roguelike aspect. There's a lot of luck involved in each run and I find myself too frustrated when I die because of it and have nothing to carry over from that run. If Spelunky were a regular platformer with multiple lives or had a system like Rogue Legacy to work toward unlocks I'd actually enjoy it more (I understand why it doesnt, but it also means it's not really a game for me).

The grindy aspect of Rogue Legacy is also debatable. I liked playing the game so I rarely saw most runs as a grind, even if they usually ended with enough money for a few more upgrades and that's all. You can definitely play your first run of the game without grinding much at all (ng+ and forward is a bit of a different story though).

Copons

Agh! A fellow arachnophobic!

I remember back in the WoW days, when I ditched exploring every place with spider mobs roaming around, and all my friends laughed at me. :(
But then I don't know what happened, and shortly I started of not having fear anymore of gaming spiders (while I still have for movies, comics etc.). It seems like my mind subconsciously doesn't register them as spiders but just as stuff jumping around.

Anyway, spiders in Spelunky should be pretty much fine for you (well, I don't know the degree of your fear, but still), as they're so cartoony and unrealistic (at least, I never saw a jumping spider where I live :D ) that they're hardly "spiders" in a "phobic" way.
And this applies to all three spiders I got to see, so maybe later you get to see huge scary ones, but I guess not. :D

I have to ask, how come the Global Offensive player count has finally taken off? Good pricing in sales plus word of mouth following some sort of extensive patching process (which last I checked it apparently needed to be 'taken seriously')?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Oh man, I was the only one that voted for Bionic Dues. You are all HORRIBLE people.

Arcen games' output isn't very popular, the sheer complexity of their systems, art style and immense learning curves offset a lot of folks. I really wish they got better artists - as much as I love the concepts behind A Valley Without Wind 1, my eyes fucking pour out blood after maybe 10 minutes.

denx

I have to ask, how come the Global Offensive player count has finally taken off? Good pricing in sales plus word of mouth following some sort of extensive patching process (which last I checked it apparently needed to be 'taken seriously')?

Weapons camos mostly (I think). A lot of people are idiling playing the game to get stuff to sell on the market.

Faabulous

Arcen games' output isn't very popular, the sheer complexity of their systems, art style and immense learning curves offset a lot of folks. I really wish they got better artists - as much as I love the concepts behind A Valley Without Wind 1, my eyes fucking pour out blood after maybe 10 minutes.

I must be their niche then, because I enjoyed all of their games until now (some more then others). Really wished people would give them a chance, they can be REALLY fun if you let them.

Jørdan

Pretty much, plus there has been some fairly prominent tournaments and there is an in game item market - price point is the largest factor I think.

zkylon

zkylewd
For what it's worth, you could probably contact some sprite artist to draw up some... fluffier / cuter spiders to replace the ones in Spelunky via modding.
ah didn't know that it had mod support

that's interesting

might investigate a bit

There are a lot of differences between Mario Kart and Sonic Racing: Transformed, so the comparison doesn't really hold up. If you like challenging games where skill matters most, you'd probably like Transformed with even the slightest of interest in racing games.
yea I think it's more of it being from a genre I don't really care too much for

Rogue Legacy is not a metroidvania. Also, Spelunky is more roguelike than Rogue Legacy. One of the reasons I don't enjoy Spelunky that much is its roguelike aspect. There's a lot of luck involved in each run and I find myself too frustrated when I die because of it and have nothing to carry over from that run. If Spelunky were a regular platformer with multiple lives or had a system like Rogue Legacy to work toward unlocks I'd actually enjoy it more (I understand why it doesnt, but it also means it's not really a game for me).

The grindy aspect of Rogue Legacy is also debatable. I liked playing the game so I rarely saw most runs as a grind, even if they usually ended with enough money for a few more upgrades and that's all. You can definitely play your first run of the game without grinding much at all (ng+ and forward is a bit of a different story though).
I guess

truth be told the game itself didn't interest me as much either and it was just a matter of hearing a couple negative things about it to shy me away from even trying it.

Agh! A fellow arachnophobic!

I remember back in the WoW days, when I ditched exploring every place with spider mobs roaming around, and all my friends laughed at me. :(
But then I don't know what happened, and shortly I started of not having fear anymore of gaming spiders (while I still have for movies, comics etc.). It seems like my mind subconsciously doesn't register them as spiders but just as stuff jumping around.

Anyway, spiders in Spelunky should be pretty much fine for you (well, I don't know the degree of your fear, but still), as they're so cartoony and unrealistic (at least, I never saw a jumping spider where I live :D ) that they're hardly "spiders" in a "phobic" way.
And this applies to all three spiders I got to see, so maybe later you get to see huge scary ones, but I guess not. :D
I don't like how they fall on top of you, it freaks me out. also spelunky being a relatively tense game to play (being a roguelike and me being awful at platformers and all) it's just not ideal for handling that stuff

also for me it's the opposite thing, it gets worse every year. I did alright with the ones in the hobbit 2 but those were dumb

Knurek

YsVVFxB.png

I'd like to thank everyone who voted for making this possible. 2014 will be the year that my next game will get to #67, or even #65.

Since the developer of Rogue Legacy couldn't be here today I am also accepting his first place award on his behalf.

Chubby, if I hadn't bought CSD already during the Seal, I'd be on it due to your post.
CSD2 when?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom