• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
no but everyone that said this was the greatest game of all time said how different it was from 5 and it keeps being the same shit, now 10 hours in o_O

where are the nope.gif guys anyway?

No, that's RE5 aping RE4 and doing a terrible job at it. It's different in that it's much better. RE5's still good (Not as good as 6).

Forgot to add: If you are planning to play through Witcher 2, you might want to pick up the re-balance mod. It changes the combat mechanics of Geralt and enemies; and modifies stats on items including the ones carried over from the Witcher 1. The modder who made it is now employed at CDPR, so some of his ideas will probably make it into W3.

Link.

I thought he was always at CDPR???

oipic

Rock Paper Shotgun ‏@rockpapershot 27m

Sacred 3 takes the ARPG, eats it, waits a while, then squats down to offer it to you. Here's wot John thinks: http://wp.me/pkbbD-Wkj

ouch lol

Ouch indeed - I can't recall RPS posting a Wot I Think as scathing and unrelenting in its criticism as this previously.

While I know one swallow (or review) does not make a summer, Sacred 3 appears to be irreparably poorly executed, and some of the design decisions are mind-bogglingly stupid. Based on some gameplay I just spent far too long watching, I've gone from mild interest to doubting I'll ever fire it up at all - even after inevitably picking it up very cheaply in a bundle (soon?). Disappointing.

Knurek

Ouch indeed - I can't recall RPS posting a Wot I Think as scathing and unrelenting in its criticism as this previously.

Moebius. Deponia games. Broken Sword 5. Just about every adventure game review by John Walker, come to think of it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Holy shit, I just noticed Eidolon thanks to the OP. It looks FANTASTIC. And it releases today? Anyone know what the price is going to be?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
well this room with a tiny cage and another wolverine in it and a bunch of cultists just destroyed all my inventory, great o_O

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Over hyped for sure, what is REALLY rubbing me the wrong way (as a RE5 fan) is how people say how this is so much better than RE5, how RE5 was a disgrace after this...and all im seeing is the same action shooting with horror elements, the same cheesiness, if not more (that Salazar is going to be a boss isnt he...and its going to be hilarious isnt it? :/), the same awful writting as usual, the same awful tank controls, with the added bonus of some horrible sections with ashley where I killed her by mistake like 3 times (thank god she was kidnapped again), although that one is on me.

I bet that in the end ill end up liking the game (hell I am liking it or I would have dropped it) as much as I like RE5, probably less tbh, and will forever think "really? that?" whenever I see people proclaim it as the best game ever

Also, aparently Ada is Superman because Leon didnt recognize her until she took off her tiny glasses o_O

I don't think it's marginally worse, but I think in the reverse position... Like, let me explain a personal gripe I have with RE5.

I think RE5 followed RE4 too closely. It's the same basic set-up. Village fight at the start, chainsaw enemy, three locations, three different types of Plagas that attack, three different types of Majini. Similar kinds of bosses in a few places, and so on. I felt it played it too safe.

And co-op I think both helped and hurt it, my opinion there. I wouldn't want RE5 without co-op, the co-op is great fun to me and I honestly think RE5 is up there as one of the best co-op campaigns out there. But on the flip-side, the co-op focus I think made the design a bit more... Dedicated? Like, a lot of sections to throw someone up, open a door, etc. The inventory is changed to a more basic system, etc.

And then just a few minor things, like I think RE4 has better bosses than RE5 (more of RE4's bosses will be a bit later than you are in the game), and personally I like how it develops as it goes. And minor things, like RE4 has really nice death animations in places and RE5's feel like they lack a lot lot RE4's. An example of a death scene I like a lot you might of just missed is here, but don't watch much further than the invisible insect death scene as video obviously contains major spoilers (goes through death scenes in the game chronologically): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHsHjrC6BXY#t=217

If you just met Ada, you're getting close to half-way through the game. I hope you're not playing on easy mode though as some sections are cut on easy difficulty (you didn't bring up the hedge maze, which is why I ask).

I also feel RE4 has more creativity with its design. You mentioned a gun turret enemy before, but there is a way to kill that guy before the turret and get the key. There's several secrets if you backtrack, and a treasure hunting element it doesn't sound you've delved too much into. It's not bad to not find these things, I didn't on my first playthrough either, but there's more design of optional things, to tackle situations more than one way, etc.

RE4 is incredibly corny though, but on purpose. Anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves. But it's based off of B-Horror movies, like Dagon, and its fun humor for me (so is RE5 though).

For Ada, one note is that they avoided showing Ada in pre-release material of the game I should mention, and keep in mind this is only the second game she appeared in, and the first appearance she had made in 7-8 years in the RE games. These days Ada being alive is obvious, but back when RE4 came out, they avoided spoiling her and this was literally her first appearance in 8 years, and most thought she had died.

I think people are huge hypocrites on the RE series though, I don't think RE4 is leagues better and RE5 is terrible, even if I personally prefer RE4. It's overblown.

well this room with a tiny cage and another wolverine in it and a bunch of cultists just destroyed all my inventory, great o_O

I'm excited as you're around my favorite part long section of the game. Most people seem to prefer the village part of RE4, but I like the Castle area and next area more personally.

Vuze

So I put five hours into Murdered Soul Suspect and... I kinda like it. Didn't expect that after seeing the neagtive reviews. The low quality 30fps cutscenes are sorta annoying (as is the Vsync = 30fps regardless if your PC can push over 60 constantly) but apart from that I like collecting tons of stuff and solving a mystery murder by the way :>

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I don't think it's marginally worse, but I think in the reverse position... Like, let me explain a personal gripe I have with RE5.

I think RE5 followed RE4 too closely. It's the same basic set-up. Village fight at the start, chainsaw enemy, three locations, three different types of Plagas that attack, three different types of Majini. Similar kinds of bosses in a few places, and so on. I felt it played it too safe.

And co-op I think both helped and hurt it, my opinion there. I wouldn't want RE5 without co-op, the co-op is great fun to me and I honestly think RE5 is up there as one of the best co-op campaigns out there. But on the flip-side, the co-op focus I think made the design a bit more... Dedicated? Like, a lot of sections to throw someone up, open a door, etc. The inventory is changed to a more basic system, etc.

And then just a few minor things, like I think RE4 has better bosses than RE5 (more of RE4's bosses will be a bit later than you are in the game), and personally I like how it develops as it goes. And minor things, like RE4 has really nice death animations in places and RE5's feel like they lack a lot lot RE4's. An example of a death scene I like a lot you might of just missed is here, but don't watch much further than the invisible insect death scene as video obviously contains major spoilers (goes through death scenes in the game chronologically): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHsHjrC6BXY#t=217

If you just met Ada, you're getting close to half-way through the game. I hope you're not playing on easy mode though as some sections are cut on easy difficulty (you didn't bring up the hedge maze, which is why I ask).

I also feel RE4 has more creativity with its design. You mentioned a gun turret enemy before, but there is a way to kill that guy before the turret and get the key. There's several secrets if you backtrack, and a treasure hunting element it doesn't sound you've delved too much into. It's not bad to not find these things, I didn't on my first playthrough either, but there's more design of optional things, to tackle situations more than one way, etc.

RE4 is incredibly corny though, but on purpose. Anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves. But it's based off of B-Horror movies, like Dagon, and its fun humor for me (so is RE5 though).

For Ada, one note is that they avoided showing Ada in pre-release material of the game I should mention, and keep in mind this is only the second game she appeared in, and the first appearance she had made in 7-8 years in the RE games. These days Ada being alive is obvious, but back when RE4 came out, they avoided spoiling her and this was literally her first appearance in 8 years, and most thought she had died.

I think people are huge hypocrites on the RE series though, I don't think RE4 is leagues better and RE5 is terrible, even if I personally prefer RE4. It's overblown.

I'm excited as you're around my favorite part long section of the game. Most people seem to prefer the village part of RE4, but I like the Castle area and next area more personally.

normal, I dont play games on easy, or hard for that matter. Well, unless its extreme cases, like Darksiders 1 I played on hard because everyone said it was basically normal, and I intend to play Red Faction Guerrilla and...err...something else on easy, which everyone agrees makes them actually fun

Ill have to reload that small cage room again, I wasted basically all my shit in there, Im sure I can do better. and I passed the maze yes, and Ada is the second time she shows up, she saved me from the big bearded fucker early in the game (which makes it hilarious that leon doesnt remember her lol)

also, still havent seen these guys

1f8a008292a36964eba14b617cbbdfed.gif

I love that gif :p

Dusk Golem

normal, I dont play games on easy, or hard for that matter. Well, unless its extreme cases, like Darksiders 1 I played on hard because everyone said it was basically normal, and I intend to play Red Faction Guerrilla and...err...something else on easy, which everyone agrees makes them actually fun

Ill have to reload that small cage room again, I wasted basically all my shit in there, Im sure I can do better. and I passed the maze yes, and Ada is the second time she shows up, she saved me from the big bearded fucker early in the game (which makes it hilarious that leon doesnt remember her lol)

First time she directly I mean appears, you're a bit past 1/3, nearing half-way through the game.

(I like the hedge maze, but you don't go through it on Easy difficulty and was cut from some European versions of the game for animal cruelty or something).

I would suggest so, let me just say the game is not getting easier anytime soon. But as it goes, there will be ups and downs.

Edit: to the edit.

Later, of course~ RE4 isn't a very short game, but you are close to the half-way point through the game.

Dr Dogg

Every pc version was a complete version. They never sold the dlc separate like they did on the consoles.

It's a bit of a weird one as initially the only version you could by on Steam or redeemable through retail was The Complete Edition. Though about sometime in early 2012 you could also buy the standalone version on Steam, various resellers and get the DLC pack as a separate purchase but retail still only carried the complete edition. Even checking a few places now all the retail copies they stock are indeed The Complete Edition (though they're not Steamworks as far as I remember). But hey this is Rockstar/Take Two were talking about.

So I put five hours into Murdered Soul Suspect and... I kinda like it? The low quality 30fps cutscenes are sorta annoying (as is the Vsync = 30fps regardless if your PC can push over 60 constantly) but apart from that I like collecting tons of stuff and solving a mystery murder by the way :>

Yeah it was a bit jarring going from a higher resolution and framerate to ugly compressed 1280x720 prerendered cutscenes at 30fps. Really stick out like a sore thumb during the scene changes to mask loading. The ones that pop up whilst talking to characters are better quality and no where near as aliased when captured but still a bit of a jolt even now and then as they're quite frequent. Most people who has posted in the Steam thread about it have liked it for various reasons liked the game as it kind of reminded me of older adventure games (even with the forced stealth/combat segments really rubbing me up the wrong way)

Rhaknar

First time she directly I mean appears, you're a bit past 1/3, nearing half-way through the game.

(I like the hedge maze, but you don't go through it on Easy difficulty and was cut from some European versions of the game for animal cruelty or something).

wait just after the maze is only 1/3 of the game? o_O I thought I was almost done >_>

Lain

If you have to give it a percentage score. What would you give it?

As someone that wanted another type of Sacred 3, a 4-5. Dismissing the name and only considering the fun I've been having with it, a 7.5-8.
Still, not a game to buy at full price when the price is what it is.

Dusk Golem

wait just after the maze is only 1/3 of the game? o_O I thought I was almost done >_>

You're not even close to being done with the Castle, and there's a whole other area to go after that that's even longer than the Castle.

For sub-chapters, you're on chapter 3-3 I believe right now, the last chapter in the game is 6-1, but Chapter 5 is the longest chapter in the game by a long-shot, about the length of two of the previous chapters in one

Hugstable

Banned

OH you will :D They are all saved for a bit later. What chapter/level are you on?

Kiru

nope.gif guys aka regeneradores appear in the last part of the game. They are the scariest guys. The noises they made... ugh...

Dr Dogg

nope.gif guys aka regeneradores appear in the last part of the game. They are the scariest guys. The noises they made... ugh...

They're not so bad. Now the Iron Maidens are nasty pieces of work. Though both can be a bit freaky when you
blow all their appendages off and they start jumping up at you with no attached limbs.

derExperte

Do I want to buy a Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD for 299€ just for Steam? Only 7 more minutes to decide, I hate this kind of stress.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
No, that's RE5 aping RE4 and doing a terrible job at it. It's different in that it's much better. RE5's still good (Not as good as 6).

I thought he was always at CDPR???

He was picked up for for his Witcher 1 modding around the release of Witcher 2.

Dusk Golem

They're not so bad. Now the Iron Maidens are nasty pieces of work. Though both can be a bit freaky when you
blow all their appendages off and they start jumping up at you with no attached limbs.

Regenerators can do that too, but Iron Maidens are much worse definitely when they do that. There's a cheap strategy with some patience and a knife you can do against them in that state that will not work on Iron Maidens.

Edit: Reading comprehension for the lose. You mentioned the both thing, but will leave as is.

kudoboi

well looks like ill need to use idlem@ster now. im out of $$ to complete my badge :/

i'll probably only use it when i need to craft badges though

Dr Dogg

Do I want to buy a Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD for 299€ just for Steam? Only 7 more minutes to decide, I hate this kind of stress.

Ohhhhh where is that from?

I was debating it when Amazon.de had them on offer of around £300/€380 so personally I'd be tempted to. I've got a 256gb 840 PRO as my main Steam drive at the moment and not only is it a bit small on storage it's a bit of a waste as just a media and not an OS drive so temped to have and SSD overhaul.

Regenerators can do that too, but Iron Maidens are much worse definitely when they do that. There's a cheap strategy with some patience and a knife you can do against them in that state that will not work on Iron Maidens.

Edit: Reading comprehension for the lose. You mentioned the both thing, but will leave as is.

Hehehehe oh yeah I know that hence why I said both but I don't like getting close to Iron Maidens for obvious reasons (we not so obvious if you have never faced one).

derExperte

Ohhhhh where is that from?

I was debating it when Amazon.de had them on offer of around £300/€380 so personally I'd be tempted to. I've got a 256gb 840 PRO as my main Steam drive at the moment and not only is it a bit small on storage it's a bit of a waste as just a media and not an OS drive so temped to have and SSD overhaul.

http://www.amazon.de/Angebote/b/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27?ie=UTF8&node=872398

You may still be able to get one, I got put on the waiting list first but usually many jump ship. Though in this case the price is a new low. edit: Says 79% reserved.

And I ordered with 30secs to go. Thinking about it I'll probably sell my trusty 830 and use the EVO for Windows and some Steam games.

So I put five hours into Murdered Soul Suspect and... I kinda like it. Didn't expect that after seeing the neagtive reviews. The low quality 30fps cutscenes are sorta annoying (as is the Vsync = 30fps regardless if your PC can push over 60 constantly) but apart from that I like collecting tons of stuff and solving a mystery murder by the way :>

Same, gameplay is almost non-existant but I liked the atmosphere and all the small, albeit not very original stories you stumble upon. Very inoffensive.

Grief.exe

Stab in the dark here, but there is a good chance the cutscenes are prerendered and compressed rather than real-time. Benefits the consoles.

Maybe I remember wrong but wasn't the Legacy Deluxe Edition available on Steam once? Can't find it, so if they removed it this could be the only way to still get that.

You can still get it directly through steam as part of the massive M&M bundle. Odd that there's no option to get it by itself anymore.

Dusk Golem

Happy most of SteamGAF who has played it seems to like it. I liked it too. It's not amazing, but I enjoyed my time with it and actually ended up liking the atmosphere, characters, environments, and sort of down-toned gameplay. As I like to say, it seems to make the optional content in other games (collectibles, TVs, NPC talking) the main part of the game.

Stab in the dark here, but there is a good chance the cutscenes are prerendered and compressed rather than real-time. Benefits the consoles.

That's exactly what it is. a lot of the cutscenes in the game are actually pre-rendered, like fancy CG graphics, while the in-game looking cutscenes still contain elements that seem pre-rendered. It lowers frame rate to 30fps, but is better for consoles, and they do a good job at making some of them visually impressive at least.

Dr Dogg

http://www.amazon.de/Angebote/b/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27?ie=UTF8&node=872398

You may still be able to get one, I got put on the waiting list first but usually many jump ship. Though in this case the price is a new low. edit: Says 79% reserved.

And I ordered with 30secs to go. Thinking about it I'll probably sell my trusty 830 and use the EVO for Windows and some Steam games.

Ah brilliant, cheers.

Yeah I'm umming and ahhing but looks like I better make my mind up quick. Though the price is insane as they're a lot more expensive over here.

This is fucking great.

thanks for quoting the gif :D

Well anyone would have to go out of their way to sully the thread with spam so quotes ahoy!

I'm never trying to make a gif again! That was 3 hours worth of banging my head against a wall

That second shot looks a bit too clean for me. It's the only issue i've had with the project: some of the HD textures need to be a bit grimier so that they match the overall sense of dirt and rawness that a lot of RE4's environments are known for.

Speaking of dirt and grime: Arkham City finally clicked for me. I guess there's been enough time apart from having played AA for me to respect the changes made in AC and appreciate this game on its own. they've made fighting groups of thugs even more enjoyable, with abilities that affect the multiplier and dynamics that make you consider your approach. I had to do my best to not counter a knife thug because I unlocked the counter-knife-thugs-and-then-auto-KO-them ability and this particular thug had the deets on some riddler trophies.

And that's another good sign for the game: even though i'm not actively pursuing them like i did with AA, if a trophy comes my way (or if i unlock the trophies for an area via thug punishment) i just get completely derailed until i have exhausted all of my search efforts for them in an area. Part of this is due to the Riddler's side quest, which brings up a question: does the game automatically inform me once i have enough trophies to continue with this side quest? Seems that i hit a ceiling and now the game wants me to keep getting trophies but im curious if it'll ever outright tell me "hey, you can continue that quest line now."

So yeah, coming back to this game after not feeling it some years ago really has paid off. Looking forward to finishing this and playing Oranges before AK comes out.

Rhaknar

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

not enough cash for another iventory upgrade, son of a BITCH. and I just found the rocket launcher too, which destroyed what little space I had left :(

edit: hmm should I sell my upgraded shotgun, sells for a ton and I could buy the new case and the riot gun, its only 1.0 less dmg un-upgraded, a lot less capacity tho, but Im always reloading anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom