• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Yup.

i've been scouting the cSGO badge, i've done it twice and i hope to flood the market with holiday cards if i can manage it one more time.

And buying games.

thanks! is there any reason to not just buy holiday cards now and sell them tomorrow? It costs more to buy cards to complete a badge than it would to just pay $.20 and get 5-10 cards and flip them tomorrow

thanks! is there any reason to not just buy holiday cards now and sell them tomorrow? It costs more to buy cards to complete a badge than it would to just pay $.20 and get 5-10 cards and flip them tomorrow

If you like living on the edge, then no. They should go up, but they could stay the same or lose value.

Lomax

Well, it's possible there's no event and everyone will get massive amounts of free cards right at the beginning of the sale... but otherwise I'd say you're almost guaranteed to make some profit. The margins may not be worth the effort, if you pay 25 cents per card and they top out at 35 cents each, you'd only be making 7 cents each. In the summer they hit around 42-45 cents each that first day, though they held over 30 cents each for several days thanks to the event.

Personally, I'm holding my cards and have them listed at a higher price than I expect them to spike to (in case market errors cause a price spike) but plan to sell within a couple hours of the sale beginning. But I'm not buying any additional ones to sell, I'm happy with the 20 or so I have from badge crafting.

AHA-Lambda

Hmm, I booted up Dark Souls 1 for the first time on my new PC and I'm having trouble connecting to GFWL, I select LIVE from the main menu and nothing happens =/

If I select GFWL from the start menu I just get a connection error.

Pachimari

Thanks to Nabs and the GAF community, I finally got Dark Souls 1 to look GREAT! And I am so happy, because now I can play the game for the first time ever. :)

_hekk05

Banned

Sell now before the sale. Once the sale begins the prices will drop since people buying games will increase supply of cards into the market.

Prices may rise near the end of the sale, but there are too many variables to predict that accurately

Is there an amount you have to spend to get a card? I bought a $10 game the other day and got a card for it, then bought a $35 game and got nothing.

well the sale hasn't started yet. Check back tomorrow.

Oh I thought he meant right now. It's still weird that I got a card last week for buying a game though.

Hm. That's strange then. That it would only be active during the sale.

Nzyme32

Okay, looks like the retroactive inventory game lock was just a display bug.

Someone posted what is apparently in the Steam Developer group thing. Basically, they don't intend to do any retroactive changes, just for new purchases, and mainly because of the fluctuations in the ruble - but I think there is more to it than just that

As most of you know, our developer tools suggest pricing based on market research and purchasing power parity. In the case of territories such as Russia, Brazil, and SE Asia, we suggested pricing that is lower than the direct USD conversion. This is based on our assessment of actual pricing of comparable products in that market. Recently Rubles have hit an all-time low which has been a concern of many game developers. We are still assessing the market to see if suggesting new prices in Russia is right for customers who live in that market. We do not think that pricing based on currency conversion only is the right way to approach the Russian market necessarily.

What we are doing immediately in response to the Ruble drop is limiting trading and gifting from Russia to prevent people from taking advantage of the situation. We have been applying a gifting and trading lock of this type on all newly created packages on Steam since mid-2014. Today we have propped a change that will affect all packages on Steam which will not allow them to be unpacked to an account, if gifted or traded from a lower priced region to a higher priced region. This change is not retroactive and only affects new purchases. It also will not affect customers in that region from gifting a copy to other people in that same region. All customers will have proper warning when they are purchasing a gift prior to checkout in those regions as well. We will continue to assess the situation and make changes if necessary in the future. If you have any questions please feel free to write us via the contact form via the Steamworks Development site - Documentation & Help -> Contact Steam Publishing.

Jawmuncher

Every big sale since forever has started at the same time and you can look at the timers for the daily deals.

I meant to say 1pm but instead thought it was 12pm because I'm looking at a amiibo page and mixed it up.

I just didn't fix it before I got quoted.

I'm sure you're glad you won't have to be in the sales thread this year.

Aren't games region-locked yet?

I took a peek at steamdb for a game and there weren't any tags?

Does that mean some games will remain region-free during sale?

plz say yes

Knurek

Okay, first Dark Souls Achievements get.
Looks weird to have Enkindle with 17 hours of playtime, but alas, I used offline GFWL profile, so don't have anything from my previous run (aborted when Sen's Fortress raped me furiously).
Oh well, at least now I can play with smooth 60fps - 750TI is a monster, not breaking 50% GPU usage, whereas my previous ATI GPU struggled to hit 30 fps in some areas...

tjohn86

looksee.jpg

sort by lowest bid. And it's an auction, so it's kind of hard to tell.

Thanks... I meant $ / gem ratio not lowest price though.

Speevy

Banned
I'm slowly building a giveaway. It's gonna be all indie from the last four months. I may have to break that stipulation for a few, but so far I've got Mind Path to Thalamus, Banner Saga, Chromaia, Fract OSC, Gnomoria, Dungeon of the Endless and Styx Master of Shadows. I'm mostly sticking to smaller games so I can get more in there, but I should have a good bit before the raffle actually starts.

iosefe

I'm slowly building a giveaway. It's gonna be all indie from the last four months. I may have to break that stipulation for a few, but so far I've got Mind Path to Thalamus, Banner Saga, Chromaia, Fract OSC, Gnomoria, Dungeon of the Endless and Styx Master of Shadows. I'm mostly sticking to smaller games so I can get more in there, but I should have a good bit before the raffle actually starts.

any restrictions that we should brace ourselves for?

KiDdYoNe

Uh, so while it's still dirt cheap for me and i have a lot of games i'm interested in, maybe you guys can add something to that list so i could buy it now and not later.

I'm looking for good indie games that are not really mad about system reqs. I have 520MX card so yeah, pretty fucked but still playable.

I don't mind any advices - old and new games, everything's fine.

I have: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, Dust: An Elysian Tale, Gone Home, Gunpoint, Antichamber, Hotline Miami The Banner Saga, Bastion, Isaac, Don't Starve, FEZ, Foul Play, FTL, Giana Sisters, Hammerwatch, How to Survive, Jazzpunk, La-Mulana, LIMBO, Mark of the Ninja, Monaco, Papers, Please, PixelJunk games, Proteus, Receiver, Reus, Risk of Rain, Rogue Legacy, Shadowrun, Shelter, Spelunky, SteamWorld Dig, Surgeon Simulator, To The Moon, Torchlight 2, Unepic, Valiant Hearts, Volgarr the Viking, Double Fine games, Hotline Miami
Plus i have Transistor and Shovel Knight in my inventory so count those off.

Maybe i'm missing something really good and you guys can help me get it while it's cheap!

Just got Dungeon of the Endless, what else i should get?

Miguel81

Okay, first Dark Souls Achievements get.
Looks weird to have Enkindle with 17 hours of playtime, but alas, I used offline GFWL profile, so don't have anything from my previous run (aborted when Sen's Fortress raped me furiously).
Oh well, at least now I can play with smooth 60fps - 750TI is a monster, not breaking 50% GPU usage, whereas my previous ATI GPU struggled to hit 30 fps in some areas...

Most bosses give ya an old-school feeling of accomplishment after defeating them. What was your previous GPU?

Edit: Hot Pursuit(2010) still looks damn fabulous O.O

MGSV launching December 18th at 10 AM Pacific with a base price of $20
http://www.konami.jp/mgs5/gz/en/products/steam.php5
Expected price. But the 4gb ram for a 650? That looks not normal. Are there even 650s with that much ram?
Seriously doubt that much is needed at minimum.

Probably gonna get a little discount as well, so about 10% off that's 18$ and in € about 15
but we know EU gets shafted :(

Kinda bummed I can't rub this under frost's nose though :(
;)
But I feel it's still cheaper than he thought?
-
If you have Enhanced Steam installed and want to see the lowest-bid auction items while also having the ability to hide games you own and have continuous scrolling, you can do so with this link:
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?auction=1&bidsort=ASC
Selecting "items owned/ on wishlist" doesn't change anything for me.
-
I still remember voting against Ikaruga last summer sale and it not winning in the end.

No ragrets.

Top Bottom