• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I found a pretty good curator for Japanese games. It's still missing a few though, e.g. Sega's older games like Shining Force I and II.

Good evening Steamgaf! (or morning/afternoon, wherever you are)
I'm trying to post a giveaway on every night of Hanukkah to wish everyone on Steamgaf happy holiday's. There's a small twist and an extra rule to whoever wins, though.
Please send me the name of your favorite game available for under ten bucks on Steam. Or whatever you want to see given away on the next day. If it stay's under ten bucks, that is. Something that might get especially interesting during the coming Winterseal. Turfster won yesterday's giveaway and chose Thief II. So here it is.
This is a really neat idea.
Quick, someone tell him to get Hatoful Boyfriend

Hanzou

He means that he can't get it even cheaper from Putin-land now.
thats what I was thinking he meant. If the game was purchased prior to this change but traded today. Can you still activate it?

In short, I don't think you should buy it. CoH 1 is fine as it is. Do you guys want the WW2 setting? If not I would recommend you to get Dawn of War. Which looks a bit old by now, but is still an amazing game.
Back when it first came out we played together. He is finally getting a gaming pc so he mentioned playing it again. I actually do own both dawn of war 1 and 2. Not sure if he would like those as much but good suggestion.

zkylon

zkylewd
Oh yeah, the game definitely bombed everywhere. Literally no one talked about it on release for any of the platforms.

i liked costume quest 1 but it felt too grindy and too samey and the sequel doesn't seem like it addressed that whatsoever

like, you don't have to do something completely different for a sequel but the gameplay in costume quest is so simple and it's not like it's got a deep lore or complex quest system that would make an iterative sequel too outstanding

Lomax

Pretty sure this specific one was a bug. I could be remembering incorrectly, but I think it was as soon as someone hit 150 turns things just slowed to a crawl. Normally I don't run into that on Civ until 300+ turns in and it just slows a bit instead of crawling a long.

I should just re-install it and check.

I really need to play it more, I was just starting to get into it when I picked up Endless Legend and that sucked up my strategy time.

C4rter

I wouldn't pay $1 for it. It's like a terrible version of Alan Wake Indiana Jones. Janky as hell, and frustrating. I guess some people liked it though, so to each their own.

The combat was cool, the puzzles not so much. Thankfully you can adjust Combat and Puzzle difficulty. IMHO definitely worth the 4€.

So the winner of today's chooses their favourite game for tomorrow's giveaway (which they will probably not win). Oh Maxwood, you are truly evil.

I think the idea is that you choose a game you like and have played and want others to play that's less than $10. Not "choose a game you want to win so you can enter again tomorrow".

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I think the idea is that you choose a game you like and have played and want others to play that's less than $10. Not "choose a game you want to win so you can enter again tomorrow".
That was what I meant, yes. Looking back, the explanation is written a bit poorly, so I understand the confusion.
I don't mind if someone pm's what they would like to win either, though.

ExoSoul

Banned
Honest question:
Is Steam streaming in some kind of region locked beta trial?
When I go online to see "my stream" it says I need to update my client yet on the day the future released I checked for updates and still do from time to time and the result is always "your client is up to date".
Not only date but other people on my friends also suffer from the same "symptoms".

Hanzou

I honestly don't know but that's a chronic problem with all 4x games, hard to say if it was actually a bug. I know it's gotten a ton of support including another recent small free expansion, so if it was actually a bug, I'd think it would have been fixed.
There was a Small expansion besides disharmony?

Chariot

Honest question:
Is Steam streaming in some kind of region locked beta trial?
When I go online to see "my stream" it says I need to update my client yet on the day the future released I checked for updates and still do from time to time and the result is always "your client is up to date".
Not only date but other people on my friends also suffer from the same "symptoms".
It's generally still in beta.

Toki767

Bored at work. Here's a random giveaway before the Winter Sale starts.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Toki767, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris -- MB-3B60F060AD8236B9 - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 51 entrants total.

t1418855250z1.png

Lomax

There was a Small expansion besides disharmony?

There were like five "minor" content expansions that were free in the course of development, including one released not long ago alongside a similar content package for Endless Legend. I'm sure if they were sold they would be called minor DLC, but the devs refer to them as expansions.

Knurek

header.jpg

Okay, roughly 1/3rd done with Memoria (sequel to Chains of Satinav, which I pimped earlier).
Backgrounds aren't as breathtaking as in the first game, the game was done by a different designer and it kind of shows - characters are a bit less focused than previously and puzzle design isn't as strong, with focus shifted from single screen affairs to a more classic PnC affair, with a bloody maze included for god's sake...
But I'll be damned if it still isn't a great game.

Just don't think of starting it before Chains of Satinav. It's a direct continuation and requires explicit knowledge of the first game.

I can see that only Parsnip and Galdere out of my friendlist actually played the game. Rest of the guys who farmed the cards - you really should give this series a try, especially if you like PnC games...

Up to chapter 10 on Wolf: TNO and it's just... excellent. The distractions it gives outside the regular shootbang are great, but you can also play it as just a setpiece shootbang too (which might be why some don't seem to like it...).

In the last hour and a half I have
found cool out of the way secrets, played a Wolfenstein 3D remake, shot nazis with a robot, sneaked around, shot nazis in the head with double shotgun, done optional missions, missed optional missions...

MUnited83

For you.
ModBot said:
Instructions for BernardoOne:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (BernardoOne, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Ship Two Pack -- MB-3934881A0BA9E3E1 - Taken by tioslash. 3 entrants total.

t1418845770z1.png
Shamelessly going for dat Lara Croft.

Chariot

zPFsXKN.png

A giveaway in the spirit of the recent hot topic.
Took me seven damn tries to finally get that game again in the auction. Be grateful! >:O

ModBot 2 said:

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Chariot, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

WORLD END ECONOMiCA episode.01 -- MB-4E6D9C69CA197620 - Taken by trailmix16. 22 entrants total.

t1418855671z1.png

Jawmuncher

ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Jawmuncher, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

The Lord of the Rings Online: Steely Dawn Starter Pack -- MB-065F70276754072D

Going for Worlds End

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Did they ever say what's going on with the next episodes?

This was in the last backer e-mail update I got from them:
Hi backers,

We want to post a update on the status of WEE ep2 and the Unity port.

We're making good progress on translating and editing ep2 right now. It is roughly 70% complete and we're hoping to have it done by the end of the year. Additionally we have a prototype of WEE ep1 running in Unity! We're hoping to have it ready in time for ep2 and utilize the 1080p assets.

We also want to do a little shoutout to our other campaign, WAS -The Hourglass of Lepidoptera- which is currently running. We have a demo that you can play so try it out!

Jawmuncher

While were talking VNs Dysfunctional Systems first day of school or whatever the hell it was supposed to be called Demo is now a full game on par with the first episodes.
Choices and everything. Slated for early 2015

Chariot

Did they ever say what's going on with the next episodes?
According to the Kickstarter May 2015, but we know how true those dates are.

Haha, looks amazing.
Why is it not backed better?

While were talking VNs Dysfunctional Systems first day of school or whatever the hell it was supposed to be called Demo is now a full game on par with the first episodes.
Choices and everything. Slated for early 2015
I hope the art looks ok. The first pitches in the Kickstarter weren't that good (we're talking about that, right?)
It's happening :(

Jawmuncher

According to the Kickstarter May 2015, but we know how true those dates are.

Haha, looks amazing. Why is it not backed better?

I hope the art looks ok. The first pitches in the Kickstarter weren't that good (we're talking about that, right?)

The newly shown stuff was way better than that.

First of all, we’ve decided on a proper name for the prequel. It will be called Episode 0: Orientation. Another important decision we made is that we will be selling it.

Originally we were going to give it away for free as a sort of demo for the Dysfunctional Systems series, but we ended up spending way too much time on it. It actually contains more content and intractability than episode 1. We haven’t decided what we’ll charge for it for yet, but we will be releasing it on Steam. Of course, everyone who backed the Kickstarter will still be receiving it for free.

Kyougar

currently trying to buy some crads for my games to make badges tomorrow. Man, Z has serious card supply issues. Only 30 to 40 people are selling Z cards and I'm not buying these for 20 cent apiece :/

zkylon

zkylewd
also on the costume quest thing

isn't that the custom for doublefine that all their games tank?

The newly shown stuff was way better than that.

First of all, we’ve decided on a proper name for the prequel. It will be called Episode 0: Orientation. Another important decision we made is that we will be selling it.

Originally we were going to give it away for free as a sort of demo for the Dysfunctional Systems series, but we ended up spending way too much time on it. It actually contains more content and intractability than episode 1. We haven’t decided what we’ll charge for it for yet, but we will be releasing it on Steam. Of course, everyone who backed the Kickstarter will still be receiving it for free.
fairly cool designs

pahamrick

Kinda silly how much better performance has been in FFXIII since I started playing it in borderless windowed mode. Not 60fps sustained or anything, but feels much smoother overall.

New patch for DreadOut released and screens of Act 2.

ZBpaZKz.jpg

Hello everyone,

We're happy to announce that DreadOut version 1.9.0 is available now. This new version brings major updates to DreadOut, with some of the biggest highlights being:

DreadOut engine is updated to prepare for our upcoming Act 2 release.
DreadOut Act 0 Prologue (which is also available separately as DreadOut Demo) is now integrated with the main game.

DreadOut Act 0 Prologue / Demo can be seen as an integral part of DreadOut story, so if you guys have not played the Demo yet, you can now revisit Linda's nightmare as a prologue for the Act 1 directly from the main menu.

Release Notes:

DreadOut 1.9.0 is a new build with a completely new framework.
Be aware that this new release will be breaking your save game. So, if you're in the middle of playing Act 1, you may prefer to defer the update up until you've finished the game.
This new version discarded multi-language support for the time being, it will be incorporated again later.
This new version is asset-optimized for 32-bit system. Many 64-bit users might notice some textures' downgrade, we will resolve this issue with hi-res texture pack for 64-bit system later.
Updates to our Steam Cloud integration so users will not be required to have a file system friendly name anymore. This eliminates cases where some users were forced to rename their Steam's display name for the sake of playing DreadOut.
Some minor tweaks to DreadOut shaders and input system.
a new addition of experience setting, for turning on or off clue and ghost vignette, limbo distance, Limbo message etc. so that you guys can play it at your own preferences.

For you guys who wondering about DreadOut Act 2, there are some of ​the WIP shots[dreadout.com]. You can see more screenshots on ​DreadOut website[dreadout.com].

Thank you again for all of your supports, we couldn't done this far without all of your supports.

All the best!

Digital Happiness

Top Bottom