• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December II 2014 - A thread for people who don't like sale side posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
2014-12-25_07-01-33.jpg

wh ... wh ... what?!? O_O

guys ... I'm scared!! O_O

zkylon

zkylewd
i'm back. finally got to see my baby brother after three weeks and the little guy is freaking huge. he can like sit now and try to slam his head against every pointy table corner he can find. he also makes sounds like that baby dinousar from jursassic park 1

anyways didn't get too many gifts cos argies dont' do that but i got a bottle of rum from my cousin so that's cool.

you should probably set it to DL now so it's at least halfway done when you return
lol apparently something went wrong cos i set it to download and it never even started

lol

Should have noticed earlier.
:<

I'm glad you are happy, bad days come and go, just like anything else in life. Just remember to keep focusing on the good stuff. I still remember when you first started posting in here, just keep being yourself, that is what matters the most.
how can you remember that -__-

i only remebmer taking me like 4 months to post because i was embarrassed

Drive-by "Outland is Guacamelee done right" post. Guacamelee's only strengths are it having a pretty visual style with character (disregarding the memes here) and the combat feeling smooth once you roll cancel everything in order to abuse the ridiculous amount of invincibility frames, whereas everything else is either far too easy or lacks depth to remain engaging all the way through... for what's an already short experience. I wasn't very impressed by it either and funnily enough the Super Arcade Turbo Whatever Edition makes it even less difficult than before, so at best it's a polished yet ultimately subpar game.

Outland on the other hand is a lot more interesting on a conceptual level. There's actual challenge to speak of so you can't just auto-pilot through it, the platforming requires more precision, is more varied and overall feels smoother, the bosses are memorable and put up a fight (spider alert for zkylon however), polarity swapping is taken further than how Guacamelee handles it et cetera. Also no tacky sense of humor or prolonged exposition that harms the game's pacing. Its only shortcoming (comparatively speaking) is the combat not feeling as tight, but it's still serviceable. Definitely a gameplay component that's due for re-iteration in a hypothetical sequel, which I hope Housemarque is taking into consideration after they wrapped up all their other announced titles, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it deterred my enjoyment.

In other words, take a gander at Outland if you haven't already.
yea that sounds about rite

i might look into that outland game, i watched a video of th e spider thing and it wasnt any big deal

i have this game , coop doesnt work , it takes less than 15 minutes to beat the game but i guess that can be a good thing for some people , i play it from time to time and enjoy it
hmmm i kinda like how dat sounds specially if its pretty different every time you play wit with like new characters and shit

its on my wishlist cos the silly name is funny

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
WTF is that?

Seems like it uses free system RAM to make a temporary RAM-based drive for a game to fully install to. Useless for most people, I'd wager. I recall a few companies trying their hand at "RAMDisk" products about 8 or so years ago but, unsurprisingly, the idea never took off, and while you get more memory for your buck these days, SSDs are at affordable prices.

WTF is that?

Sounds expensive, and I want it.

Edit: JaseC is right

What exactly IS Dimmdrive?
Dimmdrive is the first ram drive built exclusively for gamers. According to Wikipedia:

A RAM drive (also called a RAM disk) is a block of RAM (primary storage or volatile memory) that a computer's software is treating as if the memory were a disk drive (secondary storage). It is sometimes referred to as a "virtual RAM drive".
&#8211;--HTTPS://EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG/WIKI/RAM_DRIVE

notsureifwant.jpg

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like it uses free system RAM to make a temporary RAM-based drive for a game to fully install to. Useless for most people, I'd wager.

I know two people who could potentially benefit from it:

Installing Windows to an SSD is one of the best upgrades you can do regardless of how your system fares elsewhere. I've been using a 2.5" 5400rpm drive since my 60GB Vertex 2 died and... it sucks.

Welcome to my life.

JaseC

I know two people who could potentially benefit from it:

Haha, I'd rather pick up a 240GB SSD. ;) 100GB for Windows and the remainder for games AssCreed is the plan. When I bought my Vertex 2 I figured 60GB would be plenty seeing as I was moving up from a 20GB partition, however a while after reinstalling Windows I'd be fighting to stay above a free space percentage of 10%.

iosefe

welp it's Christmas.

Tonight's drink of choice:
66.67% Orange Juice
-2 parts orange juice
-1 part Cava

Happy Merryment to all, and to all a warm nap!

*edit* in Hindsight, that is technically a Mimosa, except I use more OJ

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Haha, I'd rather pick up a 240GB SSD. ;) 100GB for Windows and the remainder for games AssCreed is the plan. When I bought my Vertex 2 I figured 60GB would be plenty seeing as I was moving up from a 20GB partition, however a while after reinstalling Windows I'd be fighting to stay above a free space percentage of 10%.

I'm pretty sure there are Memory Slot-bound SSD Drives now.

Yes there are. Supposedly, CPU has faster access to them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ULLtraDIMM
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8396/fms-2014-sandisk-ulltradimm-to-ship-in-supermicro-servers

i don't know why, but that sounds dumb.

bigzgod

How to know?

Nuuvem usually will state it outright if it's region locked but I usually check steamdb first anyway just to be sure. I wouldn't advise using a VPN to activate personally, though you should definitely stay away from any game that has an "onlyallowrun" tag, which would require a VPN to play the game itself.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
-
KjAOaDf.gif
Happy Holidays to all! Hope you got cool games, and if not, hope you win cool games in a giveaway!
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (e36wheelman, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Batman Arkham Origins: Cold Cold Heart DLC -- MB-A27B15497C5AA239 - Taken by electroflame
Just the DLC. So don't enter unless you have Batman AO.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
j3HJ4BZ.jpg

Happy holidays everyone!

I think I'm up to the next to last chapter of The Evil Within. It's definitely one of my favorite games this year, despite some of the occasionally awful checkpoints. Oh, and the option to remove the letterboxing and FOV fix make it so much better. I completely forgot to install the fix the first time I played the game, so having experienced the game with and without the fix, I can safely say that the fix is definitely needed.

Also KOTOR II is finally cheap again, so that's good.

Here is the list of everyone I don't hate:

iI7c83e5A7Tuc.gif

JaseC

How to know?

If you're concerned, ask and someone will check for you (Nuuvem's own region-lock notices generally do not reflect reality). Regarding VPN usage, though, while the SSA technically forbids using one at all, in practice Valve hasn't taken action against those who use one to just activate a key or unlock a game early -- you'll find no shortage of people here who've used a VPN for one or both of the aforementioned reasons. It's even a requirement for game collectors as some region-specific stuff is exclusive to retail and tied to an activation-restricted sub.

Wait, I'm going to buy the Season Pass if the game comes back on sale/the next time it goes on sale.

I thought it didn't have this DLC pack in it, but it does.

I've made a grave mistake.

You can get it on sale at Green Man right now, less than $4 with the discount code.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

You just missed the clearance of Samsung 840 stock as Samsung has started shipping the 850 evo/pro. (Don't get the 850 Evo)

I'm pretty sure there are Memory Slot-bound SSD Drives now.

Yes there are. Supposedly, CPU has faster access to them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ULLtraDIMM
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8396/fms-2014-sandisk-ulltradimm-to-ship-in-supermicro-servers

i don't know why, but that sounds dumb.

Hmm, interesting. I wonder if wider adoption will occur.

wilflare

this is really going to turn out to be my first Steam sale of not buying anything since I started in 2010 :O

still gonna craft a Holiday badge though :O that meta-game

JaseC

You just missed the clearance of Samsung 840 stock as Samsung has started shipping the 850 evo/pro. (Don't get the 850 Evo)

I was aware of it, but decided against picking up a drive as doing so would have eaten into my Winter Sale budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom