• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Indie Dumpster Diving: Have you ever found gold?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If you like card/board games for dirt cheap (should be on sale for less than $10 each.... maybe even less than $5). Make note I just play SP. No point doing MP anyway since most of these games have probably zero gamers playing CCU.

- Roll Player
- Talisman Origins SP game (not the MP version)
- Sagrada
- Twilight Struggle
- Stockpile
- One Deck Dungeon
- Armageddon Empires (strategy game)

Fahdis

After 2 hours in the toilet. Absolutely, I find gold. I made it. It's just an arms reach after.

... in all seriousness, play Skye. Its free. Reminds me of Sky Odyssey.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I recently bought this because these guys are making the new HoMM game, and it’s really good.

This game I bought sight unseen from my discovery tab after reading reviews and it’s outstanding. May actually be my GOTY or close to it.

Last edited:
Honestly, I'm not sure where you want to draw the line on "sleepers and lesser unknowns" so I'll just scan through my games list and post what pops out as something I enjoyed a lot. Sorry if they aren't proper "indies" or "unknown".

These are all good suggestions. Basically, I didn't want to get like Hades or like Hollow Knight for the 100th time. Just ones that aren't the obvious favorites. Should have worded it another way. And the more obscure, the better. If these games are that good and it clicks with me, I'll give them some support.

Last edited:
Just two games I know of fit this criteria:

Steel Sword Story - It is Castlevania-lite in gameplay and has some Final Fantasy-esque character designs.

Shaolin vs. Wutang - A 2D fighter with 3D action and themes lifted from old kung-fu films. It also has a sequel.

*There is one I discovered during an Xbox demo event that also released on Steam:

Pocket Bravery - An original 2D fighter emulating NeoGeo Pocket Color fighters.

Last edited:

Holammer

Spelunky clone which improves on the concept IMO. The developer has a penchant for doing super strange rogue-likes with his own unusual style & humour. I buy everything Caiys puts out.

Simple 3D platformer/metroidvania originally made for a game jam with heavy focus on movement mechanics.

Chinese developed Megaman clone. I quite like it.
...oh shit, the devs are working on a sequel (wishlist!).

Shmup taking a lot of cues from Aero Fighters/Sonic Wings. Not a fan of the use of colour, but it's good. There are nods and similarities to other similar game like Gunbird.

This is an amazing pinball/metroidvania with a lot of soul. I never pass up an opportunity to talk about it. The use of parallax in the east-most side beach of the island brought tears to my eyes.

Branded

My Steam brothers and sisters.

Have you ever taken a chance on a lesser known Indie title and hit a great game?

Post them. I want to check them out.

No obvious Indie hits. Let's go for sleepers and relative unknowns.
All the fuckin' time? Rack and Slay is a recent example.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
A few very niche immersive sims. I guess those who love the genre know more about it, but these are under 1k reviews

We have system shock in Russia

Considered one of the best immersive sim out there with its mechanics

More popular but looks absolutely bonkers

Last edited:
Top Bottom