• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

def sim

Back to Mass Effect after my fling with dark souls 2. Still loving it, but derexperte says 2&3 are piles o shit :( wouldn't have minded things to look forward too.

What is it that you like about Mass Effect? They really aren't that much different if you just want more space story. ME2's ending is hilarious in a good way and ME3's is a train wreck worth checking out. Even after all that, I like my cheesy Shepard and friends.

septicore

Bundlestars Fully Loaded bundle
Price: 5.25€
  • Wrack
  • DARK
  • Blaze Rush
  • Onikira
  • Super Toy Cars
  • Magnetic By Nature
  • Silence of the Sleep
  • The Joylancer
  • The Detail
  • Z

They're doing a bundle fest, 5 Days, 10 bundles.

WOW this bundle is amazing because It has 4 or 5 games on my wishlist and I was tempted to grab them during the winter steam sales. Also I own none of the games in the bundle.

Jawmuncher

If it makes you feel better, most people actually seemed to enjoy Mass Effect 2.

It was GAF's GOTY. Which is ridiculous but ME2 isn't a total clusterfuck so give it a try.

ME1 had the better ideas. But ME2 had the better execution. Yeah it would have been nice to see ME1 fully realized, but what ME2 became was hardly anything bad.

ME1 vs ME2&3 reminds me of the Resident Evil community split. One style over another and the only ones who truly win are those who like both.

At least ME4 seems to be going back to a ME1 approach. But we'll see if they pull it off. I swear exploring with the mako better not be a time waste this time.

Oreoleo

What is it that you like about Mass Effect? They really aren't that much different if you just want more space story.

Idk, I found Mass Effect 1 and 2 to be light years apart in terms of intent and design. It's like the difference between old school Star Trek and the JJ Abrams flicks.

yuraya

Back to Mass Effect after my fling with dark souls 2. Still loving it, but derexperte says 2&3 are piles o shit :( wouldn't have minded things to look forward too.

Don't listen to the haters. ME2 is a very good game. I am currently playing ME3. About 20 hours in and its not that bad either.

WOW this bundle is amazing

oprah.gif

Sorry I just wanted to use this gif someday

Jawmuncher

Don't listen to the haters. ME2 is a very good game. I am currently playing ME3. About 20 hours in and its not that bad either.

If you ask me not even the ending was that bad. Im still ok with it and I never even watched the extended endings yet.

Though the way they're set up and the effort is pretty bad though. But when I played it and chose one and didn't know about the others I was fine with it.

Mass Effect 1 & 2 are two of the most enoyable and memorable times I ever had in gaming.

So. Much. Fun.

Both do differ from each other enough to have different things I especially enjoy. But both are great.

I enjoyed the third one as well a lot but ultimately it wasn't as enjoyable as the prequels. And no, the ending has nothing to do with that.

Such a shame I played all games across three different machines so savegames didn't cross over :(
But I am of the impression they are one-playthrough kinda games. So I am not really planning to get the games. Only if all three are available on steam with all DLC included for crazy cheap... which is highly unlikely.

I wish for you to have a mighty fun time! Happy for you!

derExperte

If you ask me not even the ending was that bad. Im still ok with it and I never even watched the extended endings yet.

The endings of the extended cut were bad imo, then I read up on what they changed and couldn't believe how much worse it was before. But the game had much bigger problems, everything kinda felt like Bioware didn't give a crap. Which probably explains why the Citadel DLC (and arguably the multiplayer) was the best thing in there.

Nabs

Yeah. But even then I just dont get why such a big company now can not employ more people for the support team.

I mean even Origin has a Livechat support feature.

Well, they outsource that stuff. I'd love to see how amazing (/s) Steam support would be if they outsourced their stuff.

I'd also like to see how people would respond to Origin support if they had to do anything more than refund purchases and give free games/coupons.

Jawmuncher

The endings of the extended cut were bad, then I read up on what they changed and couldn't believe how much worse it was before. But the game had much worse problems, everything kinda felt like Bioware didn't give a crap. Which probably explains why the Citadel DLC was the best thing in there.

Yeah I won't argue there. While ME3 is competent in quality (No bugs, glitches, etc). You can tell something was going on during development of it.

def sim

Idk, I found Mass Effect 1 and 2 to be light years apart in terms of intent and design. It's like the difference between old school Star Trek and the JJ Abrams flicks.

Sure, though I don't know if that kind of nuance is what anustart is looking for. I find that most people just want more Shepard and friends stories and, though the quality goes down in three, it still serves its purpose.

I have not played any of the DLC for 3 so maybe those are great. Maybe one day EA will discount Bioware points.

Anustart

Oh, one thing. People talked about problems with character transferring from 2 to 3 if it came from 1. Do I get mangled later or did I somehow miss creation of Skippy Shepard.

Well, they outsource that stuff. I'd love to see how amazing (/s) Steam support would be if they outsourced their stuff.

I'd also like to see how people would respond to Origin support if they had to do anything more than refund purchases and give free games/coupons.

Never used Origin support sadly.

I would just want Steam Support to be a bit faster. I remember during the Summer Sale last year for some reason I could not buy anything, because during checkout there was some error "could not be processed". If it takes 1-2 days, okay...
It took like more than one week till it worked again and then you lose a lot of good sales (If I would have bought directly from Steam without using any traders).

Right now I want my wallet changed for GTA5 and use my Trading card money for waifupop.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
The way I always thought of it was that Mass Effect 2 was a better game than 1, but it managed it by excising everything that was ambitious but broken about 1. Which was a shit ton. Or maybe 'stream lined' would be the more polite word for the process.

Still haven't tried 3. Foolishly holding out for a trilogy pack that includes DLC.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Is the first games story self contained? Or does it end with tbc...

Entirely self-contained. It's story is like a lot of sci-fi movies that never get a sequel, open for one, but on it's own it has a full beginning, middle, and end. In fact, due to how Mass Effect 3 ended and the various issues I had with where the series went plot wise, I now pretend Mass Effect was the only game and pretend just a slightly different ending.

So go ahead and play it and enjoy it for it's story, even if you never touch any of the other games in the franchise. It's no Soul Reaver 1 situation.

For those that have beat the game and care about my delusions.
I beat Mass Effect 1 and just imagine that Sovereign was the last of it's kind, making it's whole purpose worthless even if it had succeeded

I always thought ME3 kinda felt like "half of a game".

I mean in ME2 you have lots of sidequests and each crew member has a really story-intense and good sidequest you can miss if you do not care.
ME3 on the other hand felt far more linear, the sidequests were a joke (I mean even the DLC one where you get this alien guy took like 5 minutes if you play well).
Fans somehow defend that by saying "But you did not need to find crew members anymore so that is why there are no such quests" and I always wonder why not just add other interesting sidequests then?

I can finally play Dark.
But why would you do that?
For those not following the W10 thread, seems like Halo MCC is indeed coming to PC
I think we all know that, but the more important thing is, will it be on steam?
Master Chef saying "Windows 10" worries me, getting flashbacks of Vista and Halo 2
except now with windows store
FYI, Halo 2 had fan patches that could make it run on XP. I'm sure someone would figure something out.
Yeah. But even then I just dont get why such a big company now can not employ more people for the support team.

I mean even Origin has a Livechat support feature.
Which is also horrible.

Guys, I have a Sony HMZ-T1 headmounted display, which I'd like to use for playing PC games with a controller while I ly dow on the couch... the only problem is that I don't have wireless keyboard or mouse, so if I need to alt-tab out of the game, switch to another game, or in some games even access the menu I have to get up and walk to the PC desk. So I'm thinking of getting one of these wireless mini-keyboards with built-in touchpad, so that I can have full Windows control from the couch:

Good idea? Bad idea? Better similarly-priced alternatives? Any thoughts?

ExoSoul

Banned
I knew people kept saying Marlow Briggs is a B-tier game and I thought its was a overstatement given the fact it's clearly a budget game and it's tone of humour but man, the game is a bit rougher around the edges than I expected...

Still fun and I plan on finishing it, just a bit sad that with 25 mins of gameplay the game crashed twice already.

Guys, I have a Sony HMZ-T1 headmounted display, which I'd like to use for playing PC games while I ly dow on the couch... the only problem is that I don't have wireless keyboard or mouse, so if I need to alt-tab out of the game, switch to another game, or in some games even access the menu I have to get up and walk to the PC desk. So I'm thinking of getting one of these wireless mini-keyboards with built-in touchpad, so that I can have full Windows control from the couch:

From personal experience they aren't all that confy to use. If you really plan on using one just for "emergencies" then I guess it would be alright but nothing more than that. (unless you plan to get a big model and not a compact one)

Miguel81

I really missed the Mako sometimes while playing ME2, just added a bit more to the atmosphere of that game and made the scope seem much wider. Still glad I gave part 2 a go, and the Lair of the Shadow Broker dlc was particularly memorable.

The way I always thought of it was that Mass Effect 2 was a better game than 1, but it managed it by excising everything that was ambitious but broken about 1. Which was a shit ton. Or maybe 'stream lined' would be the more polite word for the process.

Still haven't tried 3. Foolishly holding out for a trilogy pack that includes DLC.

Same.

Jawmuncher

Guys, I have a Sony HMZ-T1 headmounted display, which I'd like to use for playing PC games with a controller while I ly dow on the couch... the only problem is that I don't have wireless keyboard or mouse, so if I need to alt-tab out of the game, switch to another game, or in some games even access the menu I have to get up and walk to the PC desk. So I'm thinking of getting one of these wireless mini-keyboards with built-in touchpad, so that I can have full Windows control from the couch:

I have the Logitech one that's exactly like that and love it. It's great for HTPC stuff and light gaming. If you're tired of having to get up you need it.

zkylon

zkylewd
imo mass effect is a lot of great ideas done sort of poorly, but at least there's mystery and potential. the reapers are scary and you're like exploring the whole fucking universe, it's insane. combat is a bit rough and the buggy thing is awful but who cares

mass effect 2 makes the story pretty dumb, but still manages to put in enough cool moments that the game's mostly a success. in particular, they really improve the quality of the characters, giving new life to liara and garrus and adding new and unique characters like thane and mordin that are just great. in the end, it's not a terrible game, but it's way less ambitious and it's a good example of both the best and the worst of streamlining

mass effect 3 on the other hand, is just awful. the cool moments go from dozens to a handful and everything the game adds is just terrible. terrible sidequests, terrible new characters, the story introduces a deus ex machina in the first 15 minutes, and obviously that ridiculous ending. this time it's not streamlining that's a problem, it's just sheer terribleness of writing and incredibly stupid design decisions of a game that was obviously rushed and underbudgeted, very likely because of a multiplayer horde mode that no one asked for. it has a few amazing moments but seriously, one of the most unbelievable fuckups i can remember playing.

Sch1sm

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Sch1sm, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Z -- MB-DDB70CB0E161BB99 - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 3 entrants total.

t1421717913z1.png

Khronico

My personal ratings of the ME series

Party Members:
1. ME2 (Only one I didn't care about was Jack. Also I really like Zaeed even if he's not nearly as fleshed out as the rest of the cast)
2. ME1 (Good cast, Wrex was great, Kaidan was a bro)
3. ME3 (Uneven. Returning cast was decent and there were some good moments with them but the new ones are... ech. Blast HardCheese and sexualized cyborg body EDI where so, so bad. Also that one reporter chick that's based off some real person was garbage)

Gameplay:
1. ME3 (My favorite combat mechanics in the series)
2. ME2 (Big step up from 1 in the shooting but stripped out alot of the RPG elements)
3. ME1 (Incredibly clunky and unfun to play IMO)

Tone and Atmosphere:
1. ME1 (It had a more hopeful, classic Star Trek feel to it. The difference between 1 and 2 are very noticeable if you play them one after the other like I did)
2. ME2 (A bit too grimdark)
3. ME3 (Similar to 2)

Main Quest:
1. ME1 (Out of all the games, 1 was the one where I actually cared about the main quest. It's not the best, but it's good)
2. ME2 (It could've been just loyalty missions and be still just as good. The main quest is really, really basic and dull)
3. ME3 (This game has such a bad, logically inane ending that it soured me completely on the game entirely. I get mad just thinking about how bad it is)

^^ I feel like Mass Effect should've kept the same companions for all three games. Losing the rapport and chemistry between all of them built in Mass Effect 1 wasn't worth Mordin or Thane, nor anything in ME3.
imo mass effect is a lot of great ideas done sort of poorly, but at least there's mystery and potential. the reapers are scary and you're like exploring the whole fucking universe, it's insane. combat is a bit rough and the buggy thing is awful but who cares

mass effect 2 makes the story pretty dumb, but still manages to put in enough cool moments that the game's mostly a success. in particular, they really improve the quality of the characters, giving new life to liara and garrus and adding new and unique characters like thane and mordin that are just great. in the end, it's not a terrible game, but it's way less ambitious and it's a good example of both the best and the worst of streamlining

mass effect 3 on the other hand, is just awful. the cool moments go from dozens to a handful and everything the game adds is just terrible. terrible sidequests, terrible new characters, the story introduces a deus ex machina in the first 15 minutes, and obviously that ridiculous ending. this time it's not streamlining that's a problem, it's just sheer terribleness of writing and incredibly stupid design decisions of a game that was obviously rushed and underbudgeted, very likely because of a multiplayer horde mode that no one asked for. it has a few amazing moments but seriously, one of the most unbelievable fuckups i can remember ever playing.

Oddly, the multiplayer part of Mass Effect 3 is one of its best features. Or at least it was at release.... which should give a clear picture of ME3's overall quality.

It's unfortunate how ME3 turned out - it could have been something absolutely incredible. Hopefully The Witcher pulls off what Mass Effect couldn't.

Sajjaja

ME3 multiplayer is one of the best MP experiences last gen. There is no refuting it. You are wrong if you deny it. Either that or you haven't played it and you are a shit talker. I'll fight you idgaf.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Played a bunch of random games today:

10 Second Ninja: Each stage has some robots. You are a ninja. You can jump, double jump, and throw up to three shurikens per stage. You have 10 seconds to kill all the robots whichever way you want. Do it fast enough and you get 3 stars. The game is hideous and the "story" is obnoxious Newgrounds stupidity, but the controls are pretty decent. I probably won't play anymore, but I can see how someone would like this if they like score attack stuff.

6180 The Moon: It's a puzzle platformer where you're the moon. Very simple visual style. The big mechanic is that your jump is very high, and the top of the screen wraps around to the bottom and vice versa, so there's some of the same momentum/direction/keeping track of stuff feel that Portal puzzle levels had, a little bit. Seems pretty simple, but I enjoyed it enough that I plan on finishing it. 50 short levels + 50 reverse/mirror levels. No collectibles.

Another Perspective: It's a single screen puzzle platformer. You are one or more dudes. You can run, jump. Each stage has a door. If it is locked then you need to collect all the keys in the stage to unlock it. You press a button to switch between dudes. In some stages, each dude has a different set of obstacles visible, so when you switch dudes you see a totally different level, but the other dudes stay on screen frozen in place. So you leverage your other dudes to get through the level. The writing was dumb like someone read Braid and thought "let's go for more of that", but mechanically it felt a bit like some of the PB Winterbottom levels and I enjoyed it. I will probably finish this.

Woah Dave: It's a single screen arcade game that feels a little bit like Mario Bros (no Super) or Super Crate Box. There are several stages of platforms. Eggs and skulls fall from the top of the stage and hit the platforms. Eggs wait for a while, flash, and then hatch into enemies. Skulls wait for a while, flash, and then explode. You can pick up and throw stuff. Throwing a skull at an egg destroys it and you get $0.01. Throwing a skull at an enemy destroys it and you get $0.01. A skull exploding near an egg or enemy kills them, and again a coin drops. Eggs can kill enemies but not break eggs. Nothing kills skulls. Every so often a WOAH block drops, which if you throw it kills everything on screen. Gradually, the bottom platform drops into lava. If an enemy hits lava, they burn their butt, get angrier (faster+harder movements), and fly to the top of the screen. You have three lives to make as much cash as you can. Occasionally UFOs or flying eyeball aliens show up. If an egg hatches in your hand you die, if a skull explodes in your hand you die. So it's pretty frantic as the drop rate increases to try to keep the screen clear or managed without holding the hot potato, without hitting an enemy, without letting too many enemies power-up in the lava, etc. Very well done. My high score after 5-6 tries is about $1.40, you need $1.50 to unlock hard mode, and the game's achievements go up to $10.00. It seems very few people are above $5.00 or so.

Vector: It's a stage based infinite runner with a silhouette visual style. You use parkour and time your jumps to conserve momentum as best as you can. The idea is cool but I found it a bit too clunky to pull it off. Awful UI, possibly a mobile port? If this sounds like something you might like maybe try it, but I don't really recommend it and won't be playing more.

Yury: Poop. You're a dude in a vertical pit. You can run and jump. There are spikes. Spikes don't kill you, they just cause your O2 meter to deplete. If it hits 0, you die. If it hits 75, you can't jump or move very fast, so basically you're probably going to die. You can solve the leak and replenish your O2 by getting to a checkpoint. There's lava. Lava doesn't kill you, but if you touch it for more than about a third of a second it'll kill you, but you can momentarily pass through it. The game is ugly, repetitive, has trial and error design, it's frustrating, the controls are not satisfying or responsive, I can't stress how ugly it is. I would not play this or recommend it to anyone.

Of course I also bought 10 games today, so even having played some of all these I'm still backlog-negative for the day :/

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
ME3 multiplayer is one of the best MP experiences last gen. There is no refuting it. You are wrong if you deny it. Either that or you haven't played it and you are a shit talker. I'll fight you idgaf.

It was a mediocre third person console PvE shooter with an annoying loot drop mechanic.

General Steam Update:

General
Added Steam Broadcasting. See http://steamcommunity.com/updates/broadcasting for more info.
Added in-game FPS counter to Steam Overlay
When Steam has internally scheduled a game update to be queued sometime in the future, the UI will now display a note to the user indicating that time
Fixed a crash preventing 64-bit Steamworks games from launching on older AMD processors
Fixed starting Steam if instance is already running in other local Windows user session
Fixed restoring game specific hardware mouse cursors when exiting the in-game overlay
Fixed errors in web views not localizing properly
Fixed occasional crash when trying to validate your email address
Fixed rendering the Steam Overlay in some D3D8 games.
Updated Windows Compatibility warnings
Improved synchronization and smoothness of video playback
Reduced CPU usage when drawing animated images or videos
Reduced CPU usage when interacting with the main Steam client window

Big Picture
Fixed to ask the user if they'd like to launch immediately or begin updating the game if an update is available but the game has been played recently
When running in 720p mode scale embedded web views so they are readable
Fixed EULA display occasionally failing to display
Revised navigation on profile menu
Fixed crash when entering a screenshot description
Fixed displaying screenshots for games added by shortcut

In-Home Streaming
Fixed severe frame drop in OpenGL games that occasionally occurred on some hardware
Reduced impact on game frame rate in D3D9c games when not using hardware acceleration

Linux
Fixed a rare bug where Steam could delete user files when failing to start

SteamOS
Fixed some combo boxes in steam client settings accepting text input when selection must be made from dropdown

Teggy

Should I put DARK on the the "to play" list? I remember it got terrible reviews when it came out, but I love me some 3rd person stealth.

Put it this way, if someone put a gun to my head and said I had to play either DARK or Velvet Assassin, which do I choose?

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Should I put DARK on the the "to play" list? I remember it got terrible reviews when it came out, but I love me some 3rd person stealth.

Put it this way, if someone put a gun to my head and said I had to play either DARK or Velvet Assassin, which do I choose?

DARK is decent. Check the OT and last few pages for impressions from people who bought it for around full price around launch.

Velvet Assassin had some good ideas behind it's basic design as a more simulation style stealth game similar to early Splinter Cell's. But it is bogged down by terrible execution and the inclusion of a reality bending power more or less necessary to beat the game.

Turfster

The fact that the detail isn't voiced with a gravely noir voice is a missed opportunity, in my book.
Also, it "freezes" every time it saves for some reason.

The bullet.

Just a heads up, I know Early Access causes a lot of groans and dismissal, but with Infinifactory, the current EA version is literally the finished 1.0 game. The devs plan to expand on it with mini-campaigns and new mechanics, but the main game is 100% complete

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Just a heads up, I know Early Access causes a lot of groans and dismissal, but with Infinifactory, the current EA version is literally the finished 1.0 game. The devs plan to expand on it with mini-campaigns and new mechanics, but the main game is 100% complete

7expensive9me ... I'll wait for a sale

Teggy

Hey, I know there is that one that calculates your entire library, but is there a site that will list out your steam library in order of length (like cross-referenced with howlongtobeat)? Would be nice for picking quick games out of the backlog.

zkylon

zkylewd
^^ I feel like Mass Effect should've kept the same companions for all three games. Losing the rapport and chemistry between all of them built in Mass Effect 1 wasn't worth Mordin or Thane, nor anything in ME3.
i think a mix is fine, makes it always feel fresh. it's cool not to see a character and find them changed later on, etc.

new outfits are the best thing about sequels, dude

Oddly, the multiplayer part of Mass Effect 3 is one of its best features. Or at least it was at release.... which should give a clear picture of ME3's overall quality.

It's unfortunate how ME3 turned out - it could have been something absolutely incredible. Hopefully The Witcher pulls off what Mass Effect couldn't.
yeah, i think witcha games at least aren't lowering their ambitions at least

i just don't think anyone cares about multiplayer in the mass effect series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom