• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Wasn't it just the best? I love Johnny and Junebug. That scene in The Lower Depths had me in awe.

igTPv9zWlhTlc.png

johnny and junebug are the best <3

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
God that song was so damn good

The music has always been fantastic, but that moment really solidified how much these guys were on another level.

I thought the act was almost at the end after this part. The following was almost too much for me, specially the
inside of The chapel. What was all that?

The
Hard Times distillery, you mean? It's some strange corporation that feeds itself off of getting people in debt to their product, and then turning them into workers while trapping them into staying. Much like everything in the Zero, stuff happens that isn't quite explained, and they become those skeletal figures. Those in debt help brew and prepare the Hard Times Whiskey which is sold around in the game world.

Did you play the side-story, The Entertainment, yet? Because it gives a little more insight into Hard Times.

johnny and junebug are the best <3

"We are not saints, but we've kept our appointment. How many people can boast as much?"

SeZMehK

On Mass Effect 3...

I really don't think the single player was "starved" by multi. It was done from the ground up by a different team, a new, young team that needed to get its feet wet in large scale development. I've played about 12 hours of ME3 now and almost half of that has been the multiplayer. I couldn't believe people were saying it was good, but it really is. The unlock system is super lame, but the core combat, mission, and encounter design is good fun. I'm still using the guns I started with and am having a great time.

So far, my overall opinion of ME3 is that it's a step down from ME2. The scripting has gone from kinda cheesy to downright hammy in ME3. The big "orchestra swelling" moments are completely unearned and the tries at emotional resonance generally make me laugh rather than cheer or shed a tear. The ME games have always been best while building an interesting back story or air of mystery or swimming around in sci-fi fantasy and ME3 is no different. Really pushing for the game to try and tug at the heart strings hurts it a lot. I want to know about the sci-fantasy in-universe reason for these species to conflict on a biological level, not why someone has daddy issues that causes them to hurt themselves. I want to marvel a feats of sci-fantasy technology and delve into the inner workings of synthetic beings, not watch a man cry over his lost wife. I want to unravel the mysteries of a dead species, not watch a space-cop try to be HARD while dealing with bad guys. Bioware should stop trying to write the next great emotional war story and instead wallow in scientific philosophizing navel gazing, they'd be better for it.

Also, I've found the single player combat to be slightly worse in ME3 than 2. The actual encounter design is far more harried and unfocused. Lots of splash damage weapons that remove player control and obscure vision of the battlefield. And the goddamn Husks that mob from out of camera view from all different directions skews the combat in favour of hanging back and picking shots more carefully. Shepard also seems to be a bit squishier, making the already pointless shotguns nearly completely useless; aside from the aforementioned Husks, enemies are generally fought from mid-to-far distance. They are also really squirrelly, making picking head shots on bolt action sniper rifles much more difficult; the combat is very skewed towards accurate rifles, pistols, and sub-machine guns.

That said, I really appreciate the wider variety of enemy types in both visuals and abilities. Lots of different variations on standard soldiers and ability types keeps stuff relatively fresh, even if they all generally go down to the same tactics.

Finally, the art design seems strangely a step back from ME2. The actual textures in resolution and detail are generally higher, but the actual architecture and lighting design feels like a step back. Too many blue-grey corridors with ultra-harsh lighting conditions. ME2 glowed with reds and oranges overlaid on accented blue and green metallic landscapes; it was both gritty and beautiful, extremely varied. ME3 is too uniform and stark, even if it still does impress occasionally. The skin shaders and point-lights on the characters (and their eyes especially) are a nice addition though.

But this is still pretty early in the campaign. I'm still at the point where I can let the cheese wash over me and still stay interested in gleaning some backstory or political meanderings of the different races. It's still fun at the core, but it does feel like a step back (i didn't even get into the terrible "overheard conversation" mission design...sheesh).
me2 was the best of the 3, story itself was very engaging

Lain

From what I have been able to gather, SOE has been saying for the better part of a year that the game will not be P2W. The bussiness model for H1Z1 would involve selling skins and cosmetics.

When the game released, people were buying air drops that would land right at your location with rare weapons, ammo, and other items key to survival.

From the H1Z1 thread

The best part of all of this.

They said from Day 1 crates would not have guns, they don't and will not. They only have cosmetic items.

They announced in AUGUST there would be air drops that are highly contested and contain guns. We have known for 5 months this would happen and they've been very up front about it and have shown it on streams.

They in no way lied about this. With today's change though making it drop far away from you, come in really slow and have a low % of dropping guns should help with people hopefully.

I don't care too much because I don't even own the game, but the whole P2W stuff about H1Z1 seems so blown out to me, especially when considering the game isn't even beta but alpha, so nothing of what people do now even matters in a persistent sense.

Anustart

I don't remember having any issues going from one game to the next.
I think I remember ME3 on consoles having some issues though, like, if you had imported Shepard from 1 to 2, import in 3 would break or something.

It's all a bit foggy to be honest.

Oh I just brought it up because I haven't been given an option to create ole shep. Do I get mangled later on in 1 and get to recreate my face, or did I somehow miss it?

Teeth

Oh I just brought it up because I haven't been given an option to create ole shep. Do I get mangled later on in 1 and get to recreate my face, or did I somehow miss it?

In Mass Effect 1?

The character creator is the very first thing you do.

And for the record, I was able to import my ME1 into 2 and then into 3 just fine. My character looked a bit different going into 3, but it lets you do alterations after importing in 3, so I was able to fix him up a little bit.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Barbarian, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Barbarian, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Tesla Breaks the World! -- MB-BB1910FA07A09344 - Taken by sensoft04. 1 entrants total.
Final Dusk -- MB-7F143031AA979FB1 - Taken by Milamber. 11 entrants total.
Sweet Lily Dreams -- MB-F514CCB210101149
Eleusis -- MB-B36AE1244B8AEC6F - Taken by bigzgod. 3 entrants total.

t1421734414z1.png

Well since I'm most likely going to drop Dead Rising 3 tomorrow, I'll be moving onto Killer is Dead, checked out how long to beat and its pretty a short, might even just beat it in 1 day if I really like it. Tomorrow shall be DR3's last chance to hook me in, if not it shall be the first game of 2015 that gets dropped. Thank god I got that one for free during that pricing error.

Knurek

Why would a rebranded Puyo be Tetris? Puyos and Tetris isn't the same!

Well, Arthea was asking about Puyo as well.

You all people shitting on ME3 are just plain wrong and that's a scientifically proven fact. You're just butthurt that the best content of the series requires Bioware Points which are never discounted.

AHA-Lambda

The endings of the extended cut were bad imo, then I read up on what they changed and couldn't believe how much worse it was before. But the game had much bigger problems, everything kinda felt like Bioware didn't give a crap. Which probably explains why the Citadel DLC (and arguably the multiplayer) was the best thing in there.

Yep, I've always said that the ending is the least of ME3's problems. Everything about it just comes across as lazy.

4 minutes left. Final Dusk. be mine~
And thanks to Barbarian for this giveaway~

Edit: Milamber. You beat me. have fun with your new final dusk waifu :(

Up for round 2? Go quick. :p
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (WinterDemons, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Final Dusk -- MB-5EEF65FF70649A9E - Taken by NingenJanai. 6 entrants total.

t1421735914z1.png

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Well I was going to get around to actually beating another game for the 52 game challenge, but I want to see how this remake looks with all the changes
and hear Macro's wonderful voice

Unrelated to that, anyone looking for a good classic style RTS should check out Grey Goo coming out soon. From people who worked on Command & Conquer as well as Total Annihilation and desired to focus on something that wasn't so heavy on micro management. Humans even have Turtling as their design.
Game Informer has a brief play through of it showing off the titular grey goo http://youtu.be/y1DZjpzZdeI

Miletius

I didn't get enough time this weekend to really dig into Beyond Earth. Stupid aliens kept on killing my trade convoys.

The game seems like it could be great, but with all the negative word of mouth has me waiting until it's a better price/more complete.

My girlfriend confessed to me today that her secret ambition is to be a voice actress for a visual novel. Doubt it would happen, but I should have pointed her to the HuniePop casting call. Maybe next time.

Jawmuncher

Huniepop is alright.
That video we all love is about it in terms of dialog. No joke at this point I'm playing it because I have no match 4 games. I recommend at 5 or lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom