• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What's the 25% off code for GMG?

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
this doesnt seem to work for some games. Could be specific to a user or expired. Thank goodness cause i literally just bought Tomb Raider and X Com with the 25% coupon.
I just got it for my fake birthday on there. I tested it out on Lightning Returns and it seems like it worked. I maybe should not have clicked through on the email they gave it in though, if that's the case.

Hopefully it works for someone, in any case. I don't have the funds to buy anything right now, and it expires in a month.

Mumei

It's not really that difficult. Watch a movie every saturday, read a book every sunday. Game during the week. No problem. Also everyone that completes that challenge except Mumei cheats in how they count books by doing stuff like reading plays or novellas.

Oh, I count plays and [some, based on a completely arbitrary page length requirement], novellas.

Sch1sm

It's going to be heated for overall GOTY on Gaming side between the big three non-Nintendo games. Here, it seemed like a lot of folks (from my perspective) are very bitter about the overall package that is MGSV. With that in mind, I can guess what #1 will be, interested to see as well where LiS, Contradiction, and Her Story end up. Hopefully CH has a good showing.

My personal list has 2 of the last 3 you mentioned there listing, in terms of PC games and overall GOTY, actually. It's definitely been a pretty good year, though. I project battle of the indies for #1, I dunno about anyone else. To me it seems like the AAA titles we've seen, with the exception of remasters that already had their original version on Steam since they're exempt from voting, were pretty lack lustre. We'll see.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
25PERC-2016GM-WTHGMG

Expires on the 12th.

Thanks. Picked up Tomb Raider and Dragon's Dogma. I don't know why exactly, I still have a ton of stuff I want to play.

I guess I'm looking forward to putting my new graphics card through it's paces with these two.

bigzgod

It's going to be heated for overall GOTY on Gaming side between the big three non-Nintendo games. Here, it seemed like a lot of folks (from my perspective) are very bitter about the overall package that is MGSV. With that in mind, I can guess what #1 will be, interested to see as well where LiS, Contradiction, and Her Story end up. Hopefully CH has a good showing.

They'll all be behind TitS SC, the true 2015 GOTY!

At least top 5 please? :(

ArjanN

hidden.png

looks like new achievement feature.

still no "random" option in showcase like badges have, still nothing that can compel devs to fix the broken ones, but i appreciate that valve didnt forget about them completely

It'll help the people going "hey how come these achievement numbers don't add up?" at least. There's always one. :p

Thanks. Picked up Tomb Raider and Dragon's Dogma. I don't know why exactly, I still have a ton of stuff I want to play.

Because you already have more games than you can play, so why not add some more you want to play right away?

It's a backlog crisis I'm also experiencing due to Dragon's Dogma and, some weeks, later XCOM 2!!!!!!!!!

Ugh.

neoemonk

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (neoemonk, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

CS:GO and L4D2 -- MB-17817218FAA37664 - Taken by rtcn63. 2 entrants total.

t1452048833z1.png

Free to a good home - CounterStrike Go and Left 4 Dead 2

Here, it seemed like a lot of folks (from my perspective) are very bitter about the overall package that is MGSV.

Vocal Minority. Me being one of them.

Chapter 1 was GOTY material. Chapter 2 blew hard. Chapter 3.....oh wait....

Wait, the 25% and the 20% can be used for one game and stack? :eek:

Negative. Unable to add the second one.

Still....$45 for Tomb Raider seems a bit more than I'd like to spend.

Voting for the SteamGAF GOTY starts in
t1452211200z4.png

Here is the selection criteria. If you choose a game that doesn't meet these guidelines, your vote for that game will be disqualified.

As I just IM'ed you, SotFS is not some simple "remaster". It should not be disqualifed from voting in the least. I cannot speak to Divinity OS: EE, but with the remixed enemy placements, more enemies in mobs, remixed item locations, additional players over network play, etc. -- it was more than just a "let's port this to DX11 and include all the DLC".

I guess I'm looking forward to putting my new graphics card through it's paces with these two.

Tempted to pick up RotTR. After Shadownet's removal of most, if not all, of GAF from his Steam friends list and his subsequent disappearance, holding out hope for that long lost modbot win seems silly when I can get the game for $45 or less.

As I just IM'ed you, SotFS is not some simple "remaster". It should not be disqualifed from voting in the least. I cannot speak to Divinity OS: EE, but with the remixed enemy placements, more enemies in mobs, remixed item locations, additional players over network play, etc. -- it was more than just a "let's port this to DX11 and include all the DLC".

MediocreUnfinishedFunnelweaverspider.gif

Tempted to pick up RotTR. After Shadownet's removal of most, if not all, of GAF from his Steam friends list and his subsequent disappearance, holding out hope for that long lost modbot win seems silly when I can get the game for $45 or less.

You haven't heard?? He's back.

There's still hope!!

Even still, a complicated remaster is still a remaster. The whole point of yearly awards is to give room for new stuff to shine.

It's time for Life is Strange to shine.

pahamrick

Divinity's EE is pretty substantial too, lots of major changes aside from adding DX11.
I was going to vote for it until I found out it wasn't qualified.

MediocreUnfinishedFunnelweaverspider.gif

You haven't heard?? He's back.

There's still hope!!

He is? News to me. I rarely wander in here and haven't had any instances of "where has Frost been" to report lately. Still working on too many games (I did 100% Year Walk, but that didn't seem impressive or worth of a post saying so at the time) and nothing worthy of showing off.

Even so, I don't know that shadownet posting on GAF would guarantee RotTR showing up on my steam account before the game launches. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Divinity's EE is pretty substantial too, lots of major changes aside from adding DX11.
I was going to vote for it until I found out it wasn't qualified.

I'll take your word for it. You usually know what you're talking about. I know they streamlined a bunch of the co-op features for the console release and those got ported back... but whatever it was, it seemed it fit best in a *new* steam library entry rather than a patch like some other games get when the games have been ported to the current consoles.

Even still, a complicated remaster is still a remaster. The whole point of yearly awards is to give room for new stuff to shine.

It's time for Life is Strange to shine.

I did not play many games that qualify over the course of 2015. And even so, I wouldn't put LiS on that list -- y'know, opinions and all that. :p
Guess I'll probably have to stuff those Telltale games into my top 5 or I'll vote for DS2:SotFS even if jshackles leaves it out in the cold. I gladly paid the $20 upgrade price on day one and then proceeded to spend another 70+ hours with the game because it wasn't the same game I finished playing in 2014.

pahamrick

I'll take your word for it. You usually know what you're talking about. I know they streamlined a bunch of the co-op features for the console release and those got ported back... but whatever it was, it seemed it fit best in a *new* steam library entry rather than a patch like some other games get when the games have been ported to the current consoles.

http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=572102

That's the entire changelog of the original release vs the launch version of EE, if you're curious.

One of the more interesting changes is the EE now requires a DX11 vid card where as before you could play the original in DX9, probably another reason why it got a new entry, so people without DX11 cards / mobile GPUs could still play.

-Edit-

Also balancing the new harder difficulty by hand throughout the entire game instead of simply doing a stat change and calling it a day, with new encounters and enemy types.

http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=572102

That's the entire changelog of the original release vs the launch version of EE, if you're curious.

One of the more interesting changes is the EE now requires a DX11 vid card where as before you could play the original in DX9, probably another reason why it got a new entry, so people without DX11 cards / mobile GPUs could still play.

Ah, makes sense, same as SotFS.

I did a check of what I completed in 2015 that was released in 2015 and it seems only 12 games are anything I'd consider putting on a GOTY list.

Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin, Mortal Kombat X, Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, Ori and the Blind Forest, Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition, Mega Man Legacy Collection, Tales from the Borderlands, Assault Android Cactus, Mushihimesama, Game of Thrones*, Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas, Batman: Arkham Knight*

I guess if I had to do it, putting DS2 in the list will just leave me with 6 [still subject to change]: 1. DMC4:SE, 2. DS2:SotFS, 3. Batman: Arkham Knight, 4. Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas, 5. Mushihimesama, 6. Assault Android Cactus

There are some great games that came out, but my general rule is if I didn't finish it, I can't vote for it (sorry Guilty Gear Xrd).

Kuroyume

Banned
Getting some amazing foils lately. One for Sumo Revise which I got 20 gems for, and now Why So Evil 2: Dystopia which is worth like 7 cents.

The dangers of getting free games for the +1

jshackles

it's gonna be hard to narrow it to 5, hmm

any reason why it's not 10?

In years past we've typically had about 170 people vote on our SteamGAF GOTY. And even restricting it to 5 games per vote, we've ended up with around 150 total games represented. If we expanded it to 10 games per vote, we could easily see the total number go up but we probably wouldn't see too big of a difference in the top 10 games represented overall. With literally thousands of games eligible for voting, we have to keep a pretty narrow focus, otherwise we'll end up with information overload and results that don't mean as much.

And I'm sticking to my guns regarding remasters and re-releases. I know some are upset about the decision but like LurkerPrime summed up, the decision was made to keep things fresh. Dark Souls II, Divinity, Devil May Cry 4, etc have had their time to shine. At least next year Dark Souls III will be eligible.

Shadownet

Banned
I don't know what Bomb Baiter is, but I know that XCOM 2 is better.

My T key got stuck but you know what I mean. Realistically, I wonder how low Rise of the Tomb Raider is going to go during Summer Sale.

Honestly, naming-wise. its still quite dumb. "Rise of the Tomb Raider". That could have been the first game.

zkylon

zkylewd
In years past we've typically had about 170 people vote on our SteamGAF GOTY. And even restricting it to 5 games per vote, we've ended up with around 150 total games represented. If we expanded it to 10 games per vote, we could easily see the total number go up but we probably wouldn't see too big of a difference in the top 10 games represented overall. With literally thousands of games eligible for voting, we have to keep a pretty narrow focus, otherwise we'll end up with information overload and results that don't mean as much.
yeah, i see how scope might be an issue

alrite

And I'm sticking to my guns regarding remasters and re-releases. I know some are upset about the decision but like LurkerPrime summed up, the decision was made to keep things fresh. Dark Souls II, Divinity, Devil May Cry 4, etc have had their time to shine. At least next year Dark Souls III will be eligible.
yeah i agree

Why 10, those games that get 1 point end up barely meaning anything. Plus it cuts down on 100+ games being on the list with 1 point.
i feel like some games might end up not being represented

like, i'd like to give a vote to cibele but it's probably not gonna make my top 5, etc.

My T key got stuck but you know what I mean. Realistically, I wonder how low Rise of the Tomb Raider is going to go during Summer Sale.

Honestly, naming-wise. its still quite dumb. "Rise of the Tomb Raider". That could have been the first game.

Yeah, to this day it still boggles me. How did they came up with 'Rise of the Tomb Raider'?
What a cringeworthy title. It also doesn't sound good in abbreviation, RotTR, meh I'll just call it TR2015.

neonglow

Getting some amazing foils lately. One for Sumo Revise which I got 20 gems for, and now Why So Evil 2: Dystopia which is worth like 7 cents.

The dangers of getting free games for the +1

Does it only take just one foil card out of a set to craft a foil badge? I'm still unclear about the purpose of foil cards and badges except that they're rarer and worth more than the regular version.

Annubis

header.jpg

So I just finished Shadowrun: Dragonfall and I have to say it's a very solid game.

If I had to bring out what it does best, I'd say that the game is very lenient in how you wish to accomplish things. You can do some missions completely pacifically using bluff and decking that could also be done shooting the first guard in the head then killing everything else in the way. You can even refuse to do missions if you are against them.
Another thing that is done very well is the feeling of 'community'. I find it funny that TitS declared it does so, tried hard and yet failed while this game aces it without it even being a selling point of the game.

I'm way more tempted to get Hong Kong next sale now.

EDIT: Any good workshop campaign I should be playing?

If I had to bring out what it does best, I'd say that the game is very lenient in how you wish to accomplish things. You can do some missions completely pacifically using bluff and decking that could also be done shooting the first guard in the head then killing everything else in the way. You can even refuse to do missions if you are against them.
Another thing that is done very well is the feeling of 'community'. I find it funny that TitS declared it does so, tried hard and yet failed while this game aces it without it even being a selling point of the game.

I didn't get the druid's brother now he hates me forever ;_;

Tizoc

it's gonna be hard to narrow it to 5, hmm

any reason why it's not 10?
It has always been 5
Shackles explained it before but i umm. Forgot the reason :p
2016 voting should be more than 5 though what with a lot of interesting jp games releasing on steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom