• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sch1sm

AW stream redeemed, not rigged anymore, praise the RNGesus.

Physical item? If you ever get it. I still haven't got what I won in November's vault.
Didn't they even mess up Kiru and not give the cable with the Alpha?

You'll see it in like... May or something.

Ozium

yo wtf is bombshell? I only heard it about whenever it was first mentioned here/got put on Steam.. but the way people are talking it seems like something that was hyped up/expected to be good and then bombed?

what's the deal

yo wtf is bombshell? I only heard it about whenever it was first mentioned here/got put on Steam.. but the way people are talking it seems like something that was hyped up/expected to be good and then bombed?

what's the deal

It's a shooter made by 3D Realms, whatever the hell they are these days, so people were curious about how it would turn out.

Turns out it's terrible, who would have thought?

MUnited83

For you.
Physical item? If you ever get it. I still haven't got what I won in November's vault.
Didn't they even mess up Kiru and not give the cable with the Alpha?

You'll see it in like... May or something.

I've been waiting for Devolver Digital bundle for like 3 months now and that's digital lol

Nordicus

what's the deal
It used to be a Duke Nukem game but then 3DRealms got into trouble since they fucking sold Duke Nukem IP, WHOOPS, so then sudden main character change

Ozium

Nope, it's just a shit game from 3D Realms.

It's a shooter made by 3D Realms, whatever the hell they are these days, so people were curious about how it would turn out.

Turns out it's terrible, who would have thought?

It used to be a Duke Nukem game but then 3DRealms got into trouble since they fucking sold Duke Nukem IP, WHOOPS, so then sudden main character change

wtf?

this sounds horrible...

interest piqued

edit: 35 dollars? GTFO of here lmao

Finally, finally I got into Division beta. Got about a day left to get as much fun as I need since I probably won't get it anytime soon. Not a fan of MMOs but hey, let's see if it's any fun.
Black Shell Media? More like Bundle Stuff Media.
nobody wants to party up with BernardoOne, bunch of racists

Abomination_portrait_roster.png
I'm up. Always up for an adventure.

AHA-Lambda

Gave Sunless Sea a few hours now, not feeling it =/

Honestly, I think the game would be a better experience without the punishing resource management stuff. The most critically acclaimed aspects of the game are its writing, and (as much as I don't want to wish a game to be something it's not) if this was something more akin to say 80 Days and you explored going from place to place discovering stories it'd be cool and interesting. But instead I seem to always be stressing out about running out of resources (and thus at each location I'm clicking through menus being more concerned about my hold and objectives in the moment and then just glancing over the writing) and exploring aimlessly cos I've got to find a single mcguffin I'm short of to trade with someone to progress.

Glad I played it on the free weekend and didn't spend any money cos I'm kinda disappointed, was looking forward to this one =/

Honestly, I think the game would be a better experience without the punishing resource management stuff. The most critically acclaimed aspects of the game are its writing, and if this was something more akin to say 80 Days and you explored going from place to place discovering stories it'd be cool and interesting. But instead I seem to always be stressing out about running out of resources, and exploring aimlessly cos I've got to find some sort of mcguffin to trade with someone to progress.

Glad I played it on the free weekend and didn't spend any money cos I'm kinda disappointed, was looking forward to this one =/

Yeah, I felt the same way, it looks great visually but when you run out of fuel and food before you can even take in the gameplay systems, that's kind of a problem.

Ozium

Honestly, I think the game would be a better experience without the punishing resource management stuff. The most critically acclaimed aspects of the game are its writing, and (as much as I don't want to wish a game to be something it's not) if this was something more akin to say 80 Days and you explored going from place to place discovering stories it'd be cool and interesting. But instead I seem to always be stressing out about running out of resources (and thus at each location I'm clicking through menus being more concerned about my hold and glancing over the writing) and exploring aimlessly cos I've got to find a single mcguffin I'm short of to trade with someone to progress.

the game is good, the resource management isn't punishing if you know what you are doing and plan your trip.. you can buy fuel/supplies at other places besides london, you get free supplies for submitting port reports

don't fault the game for your lack of patience and urge to click through the story--git gud

yes it is daunting at first but as you play it you discover different things and also you can unlock things that carry over to your next playthrough, and it's kind of ridiculous to wish it was more casual like 80 days when there are plenty of things like that around and not much like sunless sea

Mr. Tibbs

what's the deal

It's a top-down shooter created by the Rise of the Triad reboot developers, Interceptor Entertainment and has a crazy history.

This iteration started out as a Duke Nukem spin-off called Mass Destruction before the team and producer, 3D Realms, were sued by Duke franchise owner Gearbox. They hastily changed the protagonist to a 3D Realms owned character that was going to be in DNF, and was originally an internal project headed up by Billy Zelsnack. Coincidentally, back in the 90s, Billy Z's team left 3DR to start a studio called Rebel Boat Rocker with the intention of creating a Java-based shooter for EA called Prax War. When the project was cancelled in early 1999, the team, sans Billy, ended up founding Gearbox Software.

Anyway, once 3DR was being sued, they were bought out by a Danish Investment group who owned part of Interceptor. The game was re-revealed the game in mid-2014 with one of the worst reveal trailers of all-time.

the game is good, the resource management isn't punishing if you know what you are doing and plan your trip.. you can buy fuel/supplies at other places besides london, you get free supplies for submitting port reports

don't fault the game for your lack of patience and urge to click through the story--git gud

If it takes more than 10 minutes for me to be able to set up a custom class and select my skill streaks, than the game is garbage m8.

Nordicus

Honestly, I think the game would be a better experience without the punishing resource management stuff. The most critically acclaimed aspects of the game are its writing, and (as much as I don't want to wish a game to be something it's not) if this was something more akin to say 80 Days and you explored going from place to place discovering stories it'd be cool and interesting. But instead I seem to always be stressing out about running out of resources (and thus at each location I'm clicking through menus being more concerned about my hold and glancing over the writing) and exploring aimlessly cos I've got to find a single mcguffin I'm short of to trade with someone to progress.
That sounds like a game Ice-Pick Lodge would make (The Void, Pathologic)

Speaking of which, why has The Void been removed from Steam? >:O

Uzzy

Just played someone from South Korea in SFV, and the match was actually very damn playable. I'm very impressed at how well the rollback worked.

AHA-Lambda

yes it is daunting at first but as you play it you discover different things and also you can unlock things that carry over to your next playthrough, and it's kind of ridiculous to wish it was more casual like 80 days when there are plenty of things like that around and not much like sunless sea

I'm sure you're right in what you're saying but right now I don't know what I should do, where to go, or how I should plan. I've only had a few runs and the game doesn't give any sort of hints really as I'm sure you know.
I may come back to it when it's cheaper, I've not got much more time to sink in to it this weekend.

The 80 Days comparison may not be very fair yeah, but it's what came to mind when I thought of something opposite to my disconnect of gameplay and story here with equally acclaimed writing; and I can't say I know of many games like 80 Days.
Heck, maybe Fallen London might be more up my street.

I had to Google Disgaea.

The first title released when I was like...8, at best. And it's a tactical RPG/JRPG. I lost interest already. Sounds niche. Was on DS? Even worse. This is why no one cares. It's on a handheld that people only buy to play Pokemon and remasters/remakes of Zelda, let's be real.

There's gonna be about a dozen of you here who play it, only to then say... well, back to Trails, or something.

E: Marvellous Miss Take is a great little stealth title with a jazzy soundtrack. Whoever gets it better play it.

2W5fdy3.gif

the DS version was a port and its the worst version too.

Endruen

I had to Google Disgaea.

The first title released when I was like...8, at best. And it's a tactical RPG/JRPG. I lost interest already. Sounds niche. Was on DS? Even worse. This is why no one cares. It's on a handheld that people only buy to play Pokemon and remasters/remakes of Zelda, let's be real.

There's gonna be about a dozen of you here who play it, only to then say... well, back to Trails, or something.

E: Marvellous Miss Take is a great little stealth title with a jazzy soundtrack. Whoever gets it better play it.
There is no remaster/remake of any Zelda games for the DS. The only Zelda games for the DS are Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, neither of them are a remake.
And, man, if people only buy a DS to play those, they're missing tons of great games for the system.

how is the AVGN game?
Hard as balls. I'm playing it on easy because on normal it's way too difficult for me. I'm not from the NES era, so I'm not very experienced with retro platformers, and the game presents all the problems the bad platformers as a joke, all the things AVGN criticises in his chapters: being thrown back when damaged, jumps of faith because you can't see what's down, etc.

Teeth

I'm sure you're right in what you're saying but right now I don't know what I should do, where to go, or how I should plan. I've only had a few runs and the game doesn't give any sort of hints really as I'm sure you know.
I may come back to it when it's cheaper, I've not got much more time to sink in to it this weekend.

I agree with basically all of this.

I got my money allocation at the beginning and set off for adventure. I went North and found a couple of islands, but none of them were of the 2 I had quests for. I got hurt by a swarm of bats and decided to trek back to London to not run out of fuel.

I cashed in for the 3 places I found, got back 2 of the 6 fuel I lost and basically no money.

I decided to go straight East, found an island with a port and spoke to a couple of ladies. I got nothing from that but some curiousity or something so I went back to London to cash that in. Got like 2 materials from it. A random guy offered me a stack of fuel and provisions for some future favor, so I took it as I was running low on fuel and still had yet to get any substantial money.

With my large stack of fuel I decided to head South for a good ways, going back and forth a bit to open up a bunch of the map. I found a couple of meaningless islands and inlets, fought a couple of crabs, and found a town that apparently opens up to the surface, but couldn't do anything because I lacked the amount of fuel to take the trek. After spending half my newfound fuel, I STILL hadn't found one of the two places that I could complete my initial tasks, so I headed back to London to cash in my discoveries. On the way back, I got spotted by another crab that for some reason I couldn't shoot (the icon was just greyed out...ran out of ammo? Not sure, the game didn't say), so after taking a couple of hits I just decided to run away. Made it back to London, now with only 20% of the fuel I had when I left and cashing in the discoveries I made only granted me a pittance.

So what am I missing?

Was I supposed to PLAN BETTER by not going in the directions I did? The only reason it seems I'm coming up short is because I chose to go South instead of South East or West West or North West. The spots I needed to continue/complete my very first quest didn't show up for me for where I ventured. This is not a fault of mine as a player, there was nothing to tell me otherwise. The stuff I got from the places I actually did find only fed me back 10% of the losses I sustained getting to them.

So what's the point?

I'm sorry, if "pick the correct direction out of a dozen directions" is your core mechanic, there's not a lot of meat on the bones.

The writing didn't do a lot for me either. The whole script is overwritten like a SatelliteOfLove forum post.

The meat of the game seems to be to click on the interface, receive unknown waypoint, spend cash reserves on materials, set out for waypoint, cash in discoveries for reserves and keys (which are measured as 'influence' or 'favors'). Rinse, repeat.

Sch1sm

2W5fdy3.gif

the DS version was a port and its the worst version too.
There is no remaster/remake of any Zelda games for the DS. The only Zelda games for the DS are Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, neither of them are a remake.
And, man, if people only buy a DS to play those, they're missing tons of great games for the system.

I think you're reading too much into this. My main point was:

c:

Apparently The Arbiter is being teased for Killer Instinct. This is amazing. The Arbiter is my favorite Halo character. I'm all for more characters from other MS franchises. Get a character from Gears of War and that dude from Scalebound and call it a day.

yea i saw it as well, killer instinct looks more and more cool! i love crossovers, they're so much fun. I hope there are other MS characters in the game, I'm not too familiar with MS IPs besides rare stuff and the obvious halo stuff. So idk who else they could add that I'd recognize unless they pull someone else from halo or another rare game.

Endruen

I think you're reading too much into this. My main point was:

c:
Seriously, how is it possible for you to not know Disgaea? It has several games for PS2, PS3, PSP and PS Vita, aside for the already mentioned DS. Heck, it even has an anime. Even my self from 6 years ago who didn't visit video game webs got to know about the DS one. Dood.

Hey, my main pawn was finally used by somebody else!

"Hey, I'm back...have a kept carrot..."

Gee thanks.

"And seven times as many rift crystals as you've ever owned!"

"whaaaAAAAA?"

Sunless Sea is not a trucker game, don't treat it like one. This is general advice for y'all.

Embracing the zee is only the first step, my dear zailors. It is by no means a path to riches all by itself.
Hey, my main pawn was finally used by somebody else!

"Hey, I'm back...have a kept carrot..."

Gee thanks.

"And seven times as many rift crystals as you've ever owned!"

"whaaaAAAAA?"

I somehow accumulated like ~937k RC from one dude using my pawn, somehow. I think that was also the time I got a bunch of Bitterblack Isle items sent back with him, too.

It was a grand adventure that I never even saw...

Sch1sm

Seriously, how is it possible for you to not know Disgaea? It has several games for PS2, PS3, PSP and PS Vita, aside for the already mentioned DS. Heck, it even has an anime. Even my self from 6 years ago who didn't visit video game webs got to know about the DS one. Dood.

Because I have no interest in most anime, haven't really ever played any JRPGs with the exception of a few FF titles? I haven't played Trails, or Neptunia, or any of the Tales of ___ titles, either. It's actually quite easy. You can't tell me you know every single franchise that's existed, especially in genres you have no real interest in. That's like me asking someone how they don't know who the original characters for Street Fighter were when they never played the game then. Just because you know about the DS one doesn't mean everyone should, lol. Just because you know about anything doesn't mean everyone else should, in fact. That's not how the world works. "I know x so you should know x, too." Riiiiiight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom