• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

_hekk05

Banned
icky late night steamgaf is the best anyways

it's the only one i really browse since people don't post as fast plus i have imsomnia

Insomnia sucks. Especially when you can't sleep and become so tired your heart starts churning out adrenaline and you become hyped.

The part after that is the worst

Tektonic

How many games are you playing at once? Ssd is so fast, you'll learn space management, as you'll never to want to go back to rotational

Xanathus

Don't you run out of space with the SSD? I want to buy one, but I like to have several games installed.
If you use SteamMover or whatever that program that moves games and creates directory junctions for them is called, you can move the games you actively play onto your SSD and move them back to the HDD when you're done with them.

Went to sleep, new thread. Good title, too.
Wonder what kind of mess will happen once stump is gone on vacation. When is he going again?
Or is he gone already since the last pages are filled with women and no "don't do this!" Message camnfrom him. It's all fun though.
Nice to see shadownet, thought he's gonna take some healing break.

On a side not Archangel_ is a good dude folks. Won from him yesterday but the key was busted. And today he send me a list of games to chose from. He really didn't have to actually. Much appreciated.

On steam. Are the dlc from the complete editions for new vegas and fallout worth it? The price disparity between base and ce is so high, almost three times.

aku:jiki

My interest faded when I read rogue-like, though to be fair I have yet to play any rogue-like games (Rogue Legacy could be my first on Vita).
Rogue Legacy is pretty much the least "rogue-like" roguelike I can think of, so don't let that be your only impression of the genre. You should try Binding of Isaac or FTL.
God damn it.

z6770ti.jpg

Has there been any hype in this thread about Crypt of the Necrodancer, which comes out (as ES) in 10 days? Because whatever amount there has been so far, there should be a lot more.
I posted about an Isaac player streaming it for a few hours, and I got one reply. I guess the secret is including a picture!

It looks fun but also sort of look like a chore to play... Even basic movement has to be in rhythm, so you have to fully concentrate 100% of the time. Doesn't sound all too relaxing.

zkylon

zkylewd
Insomnia sucks. Especially when you can't sleep and become so tired your heart starts churning out adrenaline and you become hyped.

well haven't gotten to that but generally i have always had trouble sleeping at normal hours or staying asleep too long unless i'm really tired. not having a steady job doesn't help tho i used to go to work without sleep pretty regularly (i would take short naps in the bathroom lol)

btu what you say sounds pretty bad, sorry to hear that

icky late night steamgaf is the best anyways

it's the only one i really browse since people don't post as fast plus i have imsomnia

btw whoever came up with the turn into a rock/bush/barrel thing is a genius
The disguise changes to match the environment.

And anyone who wishes to play D:OS in coop, hit me up!

Edit: Not now though

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

Yeah, sleeping problems just suck.

Sleep meds just make me bonkers and I don't remember anything.

Tizoc

well haven't gotten to that but generally i have always had trouble sleeping at normal hours or staying asleep too long unless i'm really tired. not having a steady job doesn't help tho i used to go to work without sleep pretty regularly (i would take short naps in the bathroom lol)

btu what you say sounds pretty bad, sorry to hear that

In my case, eating Chocolate makes me sleepy, so I tend to have a chocolatey snack before going to bed.

Shadownet

Banned
Nice to see shadownet, thought he's gonna take some healing break.

I came out of bed to help Ventara and Phoenix with some stuff. Couldn't go back to sleep and I was so high on vicodin, plus all the Sara Bareilles turned into waifu stuff got me excited :3 well now its almost 7am.. I need to go back to bed.

zkylon

zkylewd
The disguise changes to match the environment.

And anyone who wishes to play D:OS in coop, hit me up!

Edit: Not now though
yea it's dks chameleon-like

it's pretty cool

In my case, eating Chocolate makes me sleepy, so I tend to have a chocolatey snack before going to bed.
that's a good idea

but not much really helps, i'm just restless and can't sleep unless i'm really tired

too much in my mind

I posted about an Isaac player streaming it for a few hours, and I got one reply. I guess the secret is including a picture!

It looks fun but also sort of look like a chore to play... Even basic movement has to be in rhythm, so you have to fully concentrate 100% of the time. Doesn't sound all too relaxing.

That's pretty much what I learned about this thread. If you want to hype a game, include pretty pictures. :p I'll post a bit more frequently about it in the next week if I remember, the game deserves a bit more visibility.

I'm currently watching Bananasaurus_Rex stream it, he's trying for speedruns and resetting a lot, but it gives a good impression of what the game is about. There will be a invite only tournament starting the 21st, so that's probably worth checking out.

The game will be $14.99 btw.

EDIT: Forgot the picture

Ozium

That's pretty much what I learned about this thread. If you want to hype a game, include prety pictures. :p I'll post a bit more frequently about it in the next week if I remember, the game deserves a bit more visibility.

I'm curently watching Bananasaurus_Rex stream it, he's taking a break and practicing after that, but it gives a good impression of what the game is about. There will be a invite only tournament starting the 21st, so that's probably worth checking out.

The game will be $14.99 btw.

EDIT: Forgot the picture

I'm clicking your picture but it isn't doing anything....

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Are steam games bought from amazon.com region-locked?

Very few are. The only examples that I can think of off the top of my head are Mafia 2, Inversion, Dead Island (both vanilla and GOTY) ,and Civ V (vanilla) and Saints Row IV (various). In fact, I can't think of a single example that isn't published by 2K or Deep Silver.

How about something like Morrowind?

Bethesda's stuff is region-free.

I actually used to have a copy of that when I was younger, no idea what happened to it. It would easily be a day one purchase if it came to Steam.

Unfortunately, with the Hawaii studio closed and Konami being kinda weird with their classics, the chances of this particular collection making it to Steam are pretty slim. Though, I guess it would be possible if Konami followed in Sega's footsteps by licensing an existing emulator, reskinning it, and injecting the altered ROMs again.

Lain

I'm getting close to finishing Shantae, though I'll probably hold off until tomorrow or something.
I've liked what I have played so far, but I also found the combat in general a bit disappointing. It felt a bit too... rigid.
I haven't liked much the lack of a health bar on bosses, too.
The pixel graphics are charming and the same can be said for some of the NPC lines of text.

Hopefully Shantae: Half-Genie Hero will improve on the combat side enough to be more enjoyable for me, though since I haven't liked the combat in any WayForward game I've played, I'm not holding my breath.

Ozium

I'm getting close to finishing Shantae, though I'll probably hold off until tomorrow or something.
I've liked what I have played so far, but I also found the combat in general a bit disappointing. It felt a bit too... rigid.
I haven't liked much the lack of a health bar on bosses, too.
The pixel graphics are charming and the same can be said for some of the NPC lines of text.

Hopefully Shantae: Half-Genie Hero will improve on the combat side enough to be more enjoyable for me, though since I haven't liked the combat in any WayForward game I've played, I'm not holding my breath.

The only WayForward game I can recall that has good combat is Contra 4

velociraptor

Finished this earlier. I actually bought this game day one for full price but I hadn't really touched it until recently (like just before the Humble 2K Bundle dropped).

Don't let it sit in your library if you picked it up for the 1$ to 5$ it's been going for recently. It's pretty damn fun.

gwZhq3V.jpg

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified - Real Time With 99% Pause

Played on Veteran difficulty (3/4), 14 hours to get through the main campaign with all the side missions. Finished with the achievement where no squadmates bleed out (and die). I found it relatively easy for the most part. Combat was the highlight of the game and where most of the hate seems to stem from people not understanding exactly how to play it. For all intents and purposes it looks and plays like a typical Gears clone (third person over the shoulder cover shooter with roadie cam sprint) but it shouldn't be.

Combat in this game is pretty much what happens if you distill XCOM (Enemy Unknown here) gameplay, which is turn-based strategy, into a third-person shooter template. Props to 2K Marin to sticking to that rather than making it about peek-a-boo cover shooting. You can play it like that, but when you do, it seems to get frustrating (at least on Veteran or Commander difficulty) because you won't get a lot done. You want to constantly be throwing you abilities out and repositioning your squadmates. They should always have some order, an ability should be on cooldown, and they should be focusing their fire on a specfic target. Hell, they even yell at you if you leave them to their own devices. In fact, they should be doing most of the damage if you use them properly. Yes, you pretty much have to babysit them, but that's about to be expected in an XCOM game anyway. Yes, it is true there is no real 'pause' in combat (short of going to the main menu) but the time dilation is so extreme that even waiting for the last second to tick down off a cooldown feels like an entire minute. You have plenty of time to react.

The game certainly lacks polish, and the troubled development history of the game shows occasionally. Some of them are really minor like funny clipping, down to annoying things like checkpoints (there are almost none in the large XCOM hub base that you can roam around inbetween missions) and the occasional sound bug I ran into (where your character will not talk and therefore any scripted dialogue will stop working, unless you reload the checkpoint). There are some weird geometry issues where you just sometimes get knocked around by a squadmate but aren't really anything but a nuisance. I do wish there was more polish and balance in combat and the class abilities. Some of them are fun and varied but the biggest issue I found was the engineer weapon selection/progression (shotgun, laser shotgun, plasma rifle? whereas their skill progression was perfect) as an example, where they are wholly ineffective in actual direct combat for the longest time even if you micromanage them into good flanking positions. You can't rely on them to help put fire on something like a drone because it's videogame shotgun logic applied to the extreme. The last thing I want to say about the lack of polish in combat is having to walk your abilities. It's honestly not as bad as it seems except you have to walk it up and down elevation rather than fuddling with the cursor; you can't have the cursor jump over simple cover or anything either, which is slightly annoying.

Otherwise, the emphasis on flanking enemies or knocking them out of cover works really well when coupled with the fact you actually do bonus damage on enemies that are flanked or exposed. Yes, you can plink away at the exposed bits while the enemy is in cover but you actually do less damage in that case. The only thing I kinda wished was there was some suppression mechanic to help fix the enemy in place so flanking was encouraged even more. Exposed (when an enemy is out of cover, or Aiming, functionally the same) doesn't provide as big a damage bonus which sometimes is confusing when you feel like you are actually flanking an enemy. You can pretty much get away with never having to actually engage in combat yourself (there is an achievement in that vein). I never did unless the arenas were really large that it helped to close some distance and maneuver, or there was a mini-boss/boss-sized enemy (basically anything that had armour), although obviously it just requires some more maneuvering and patience to finish them off. There is a bunch of graularity when you start picking up more backpack schematics to fine tune what you want, like better armour/shield damage, trading ability range/power/recharge speed for another thing like accuracy, etc.

The story is nothing noteworthy, though. The main throughline makes sense enough to get you where you need to go and offer variety in encounter design and environments. Obviously some lack of polish here as well, as some things were never really explained (or they were but never really paid off, like how you have the glove/powerfist/scanner device after the first mission). There is a *swerve* at the late-mid-game that's supposed to explain some of these things but it's also nothing to write home about. The notes scattered throughout the levels were alright, but I mostly skimmed those rather than really read them. There were recordings but they were diagetic so you couldn't just play them and go about running doing whatever; if you ran away, you wouldn't be able to catch it all. Dialogue just played over one another (when it didn't bug out and stop entirely) in those instances. There are few "choices" thrown around but they never really amount to much, or they are glossed over in a way, or it ended up playing the wrong line of dialogue (for the other choice) anyway.

It's easily a 6 to 7/10 kind of game (we're using the whole scale here). It's obviously had a bunch of production money thrown at it that it looks fantastic with environment and character design (but not really the animation). The combat is why you want to be playing this. It's definitely a nice twist on the XCOM formula in a different perspective that works out really well at the end of the day. Lacks polish and could use some balance is really the only true mark against the game, but if you've heard of the shit the game went through in production, it's a surprise something this good came out at all.
Nice write up. Will probably have to play the game soon. Just have quite a few games in the backlog atm.

I just finished School Days and have found the true meaning of life.

Also Cordelia is best Awakening waifu you bunch of crazies.

I watched my sister played TWAU, and I was surprised that many choices really don't have any major consequences. For example, she ripped Grant's arm off, other than the cosmetic difference and mentioned once in a dialogue, Grant's overall lines and attitude hasn't changed at all. In the end, she
the crooked man's head off
, and all she got was a
"Fabletown is now afraid of the big bad wolf"
notice, all the cutscenes and dialogues after that point remained the same.

Ozium

I watched my sister played TWAU, and I was surprised that many choices really don't have any major consequences. For example, she ripped Grant's arm off, other than the cosmetic difference and mentioned once in a dialogue, Grant's overall lines and attitude hasn't changed at all. In the end, she
, and all she got was a

Telltale Games in a nutshell... can't wait to see how they handle GoT

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
, and all she got was a

Illusion of choice seems to be a common criticism levelled at Telltale's choose-your-own-adventure games.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
really liking Strider, frost is out of his goddamn mind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom