• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

oh man I just finished TR anniversary

nrvioh1a7f5l.gif

Game is like almost twice the length of Legend, ended up clocking 16hrs in it but a lot of time were spent taking screenshots looking for artifacts which I didn't really do in Legend, that's actually a compliment because the environmental puzzles are pretty impressive so it often makes you want to look through every nook and cranny.

The game has a pretty heavy focus on just puzzles and platforming, no filler turret sections, only some basic QTEs and cutscenes after each chapter which are often cool short action sequences. Combat is focused on the new "adrenaline dodge" system where you could piss off an enemy, dodge in the last second for a kill shot, often fights are really quick, and the boss fights have a similar concept and are pretty cool to fight and not frustrating.

Game was pretty relaxing to play. Now on to underworld!

I watched my sister played TWAU, and I was surprised that many choices really don't have any major consequences. For example, she ripped Grant's arm off, other than the cosmetic difference and mentioned once in a dialogue, Grant's overall lines and attitude hasn't changed at all. In the end, she
the crooked man's head off
, and all she got was a
"Fabletown is now afraid of the big bad wolf"
notice, all the cutscenes and dialogues after that point remained the same.

Remember, there will be a second season, and those choices are going to carry over. The characters will react different next season I'm sure.

Telltale Games in a nutshell... can't wait to see how they handle GoT
As long as the story and characters don't suck, I'm happy.

Illusion of choice seems to be a common criticism levelled at Telltale's choose-your-own-adventure games.
Back when I finished TWD S1, forgot who on steam thread said it's very replayable, because seeing different choices with different consequences is fun.

Eh.

Berto

oh man I just finished TR anniversary

nrvioh1a7f5l.gif

Game is like almost twice the length of Legend, ended up clocking 16hrs in it but a lot of time were spent taking screenshots looking for artifacts which I didn't really do in Legend, that's actually a compliment because the environmental puzzles are pretty impressive so it often makes you want to look through every nook and cranny.

The game has a pretty heavy focus on just puzzles and platforming, no filler turret sections, only some basic QTEs and cutscenes after each chapter which are often cool short action sequences. Combat is focused on the new "adrenaline dodge" system where you could piss off an enemy, dodge in the last second for a kill shot, often fights are really quick, and the boss fights have a similar concept and are pretty cool to fight and not frustrating.

Game was pretty relaxing to play. Now on to underworld!
Yeah Anniversary is easily the best Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider. And tbh is better than most Core Design classics (1,2 and 4 are better imo). It captured so well the isolation and sense of exploration and discovery of the original.

Sendou

Remember, there will be a second season, and those choices are going to carry over. The characters will react different next season I'm sure.

Yeah, right. If that's your expectations then be ready to be disappointed. I played through TWAU twice making completely opposite choices and it's ridiculous how little the game makers put effort into making your choices matter. Nothing what you do matters at all. Maybe most baffling one was
Toad getting send to the farm even after you gave him money for glamours because reasons.

I know making a game where choices matter is more expensive but I dare to say that Telltale is at a point where the only way forward is doing exactly that.

I showed my brother, today, how trading cards work and that you can get actual money for them. I think I've saved him/ruined his life.
And with family sharing, cards for everyone!
People you shared the games with also get cards?

I'm not too sure about that, since TWAU is a prequel.

it was supposed to be a bridge between the seasons and was touted as being integral to season 2 and that choices would carry over...

nothing happened

Ah, I see. I only played it the once the day it came out then my save got lost when I moved over data to a new PC and so I didn't even notice when I started Season 2 since I didn't have that save.

I've never played a Fallout game. Which one do I want, 3 or New Vegas?

I'm leaning towards the latter based on what little I know.

If you have an inkling you'll just want this one Fallout experience and then you'll be done with it, choose New Vegas. If you're open to playing both, start with Fallout 3 and then end with the superior New Vegas.

really liking Strider, frost is out of his goddamn mind

Corrosive frost? I can confirm that.

:b to frosty mang

Diedac

To clear my unclaimed keys. Please take them

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Diedac, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Ignite -- MB-27E7882ED3F9BECE - Taken by trailmix16
Iron Grip Warlord -- MB-683551D0770699F6 - Taken by Demon Lizardman
Huntsman The Orphanage -- MB-E40635AD49081F07 - Taken by agniswarm
Men of War Red Tide -- MB-6EED84AB768213DB - Taken by TheMadMan007
REVENGE OF THE TITANS -- MB-4D3742059AD6F103 - Taken by celsowmbr
Dungeon Hearts -- MB-61C6BF2C86BF3212 - Taken by Original Famous Ray
MacGuffin's Curse -- MB-477CC20247E5B2CD - Taken by Saty
Demolition Inc. -- MB-2967F07EC2E84B99 - Taken by danhese007

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Ignite was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Iron Grip Warlord was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Huntsman The Orphanage was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Men of War Red Tide was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for REVENGE OF THE TITANS was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Dungeon Hearts was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for MacGuffin's Curse was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Demolition Inc. was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

Vastag

If you use SteamMover or whatever that program that moves games and creates directory junctions for them is called, you can move the games you actively play onto your SSD and move them back to the HDD when you're done with them.

That sounds exactly like what I want, thanks.

I came out of bed to help Ventara and Phoenix with some stuff. Couldn't go back to sleep and I was so high on vicodin, plus all the Sara Bareilles turned into waifu stuff got me excited :3 well now its almost 7am.. I need to go back to bed.
Has car accident, lands in hospital, got concussion, full of meds and head ache, still posting on gaf and helping is friends. Damn.
I just finished School Days and have found the true meaning of life.
Also Cordelia is best Awakening waifu you bunch of crazies.
You watched th eanime or is there a visual novel? I watched a couple years ago only the first two or three episodes. Was ok but I don't get all the hype.
Btw.
Happy Hour for the July Madness Bundle from Indiegala.
I don't understand. It's the same deal as was available before?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Some spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (JaseC, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Millie -- MB-5792814EDAC7E5B0 - Taken by swx
Galactic Arms Race -- MB-C0521FBE5D608E8A - Taken by Darth Kupi
One Finger Death Punch -- MB-FB980EC5BBEA1A3E - Taken by _hekk05
Ichi -- MB-7D79892F8FC91554 - Taken by Vuze
Rhythm Destruction -- MB-73C6F82BE47AF4A8 - Taken by kudoboi

MRORANGE

...eh locking at 400 now? Oh well, here's the changes to the OP:

- new banner added
- new game added to recommendations
- real wall of shame updated
- remember to submit games for August recommendations!

iuLqyZjMHwv5A.png

Vertical Drop Heroes HD
- MRORANGE
"Vertical Drop Heroes HD si a rogue-like rpg with random generated levels which features split-screen, local co-op and network
play to boot. The games focuses more on unique combat system where proper planning is more important than quick reflexes.
Based on the web game which had over 2 million players it's worth a look for anyone who is into the rogue-like genre."

iBsHuI4DuuPPH.png

iL4selISdDYy4.png

cK5LaD7.png
Steam Game Recommendations for August (New releases on Steam)

• Every month gaffers talk about what games should be on your radar for the upcoming month by submitting mini recommendations.
  • Check the OP to see games were highlighted by our members for this month to get an idea.

Rules:
  • 1. Choose a game that you think is worth watching out for in August that is on Steam.
  • 2. Write about it, 60+ words would be great, feel free to go over it.
  • 3. Send me a PM with what you have written before the deadline: 29th July

Games / Gaffers:
Residue - BinaryPork2737

AHA-Lambda

Finished this earlier. I actually bought this game day one for full price but I hadn't really touched it until recently (like just before the Humble 2K Bundle dropped).

Don't let it sit in your library if you picked it up for the 1$ to 5$ it's been going for recently. It's pretty damn fun.

gwZhq3V.jpg

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified - Real Time With 99% Pause

Good to see someone got something out of it, I finished it last night and doing the DLC just now (clearing that summer sale backlog!) but I thought it was pretty mediocre.

Credit where it is due, as much as the combat is a Mass Effect rip off, at least unlike ME you actually need to use the abilities.
I just found the game tedious though, the game (on normal anyway) can still be played as a pretty straight Gears of War clone. Each level is just way too long and is filled with linear paths leading you to the next killroom, there's very little variety here.

However, one massive bugbear for me was just how repugnantly awful the player character is, I genuinely can't remember a main character I've hated this much in a game.

END OF GAME SPOILER, DON"T HIGHLIGHT
I killed him at the choice in the end.

Volimar

Good to see someone got something out of it, I finished it last night and doing the DLC just now (clearing that summer sale backlog!) but I thought it was pretty mediocre.

Credit where it is due, as much as the combat is a Mass Effect rip off, at least unlike ME you actually need to use the abilities.
I just found the game tedious though, the game (on normal anyway) can still be played as a pretty straight Gears of War clone. Each level is just way too long and is filled with linear paths leading you to the next killroom, there's very little variety here.

However, one massive bugbear for me was just how repugnantly awful the player character is, I genuinely can't remember a main character I've hated this much in a game.

END OF GAME SPOILER, DON"T HIGHLIGHT
I killed him at the choice in the end.

I agree with pretty much all of that, but I still enjoyed the xcom-ishness of it.

I'd yell at you for not being quick enough to contextualise your spoiler, but fortunately I don't care about the game at all. ;)

image.php

Started W:TNO, and really didn't get on with playing it from my couch. Tiny text, and the default controller mapping is a bit weird (of course, I could read the tutorial pop-ups so was mostly guessing). Gonna switch to playing at my desk with m+kb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom