• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2017 - Magical Pyres can't melt Cold Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing hidden object games, so you don't have to.

(Also, c'mon guys, one of you needs to grab Nightmares from the Deep 2. It's good. Sure, it's been bundled so often that you might all have it by now? But if not, you should take it. Yes, YOU!)

This might be a silly question, but do I need to play the first one for the sake of narrative? And would you recommend the whole trilogy?

I've only played a couple of hours so far, the mechanics are good, enjoying the whole card decks and dice selection. Graphics and performance are great. The story well... the writing is average, juvenile and out of place. I'm not looking for something Shakespearean but "Life is Strange" did this much much better. One particularity unlikable character constantly refers to another as chickenshit all the time, like it's the only word she knows.

The only other issue is the animations take sooooooooooo long. You kill someone, I know they are dead, they know they are dead, the game knows they are dead, EVERYONE knows they are dead but the game just waits for 10 seconds for no reason.

That writing, ouch; unsells me from the game completely. (The animation delays sound rather dire too, but I'd hope those are patched.) Writing is such a critical, yet often overlooked, aspect of video games--done well it can really elevate something.

e.g. I can't imagine how differently I would view Harebrained Schemes' Shadowrun games if the writing was anything less than it is: exceptional. The mechanics have gotten better with each game but it's never been the real draw for me.

This might be a silly question, but do I need to play the first one for the sake of narrative? And would you recommend the whole trilogy?

It helps but it's not totally required. Some of the events of the first game are explained. However, I would recommend playing games 1 and 2 before 3.

And yeah, I would recommend the whole trilogy. It's some of the best in the genre.

It helps but it's not totally required. Some of the events of the first game are explained. However, I would recommend playing games 1 and 2 before 3.

And yeah, I would recommend the whole trilogy. It's some of the best in the genre.

Alright, thanks! Considering the first one happens to be on sale on Steam, I'll start with that one, then. I've never actually played any hidden object games but your impressions always made me kinda interested to try.

(though your Darkarta one actually stopped me from buying that during the Summer Sale, haha)

preta

I'd just like to say again to any people hoping to get into the Trails series with the Steam release of CS that while you can do that, I really would recommend playing the Sky trilogy first, as CS spoils some major twists from Sky. Plus, they're fantastic games too!

Anyone here looking forward to Citadel?

It seems the price has been set ($24.99). I have little interest on it until I found out that you can toggle between 1st person and 3rd person in the game. They shouldn't have released such 1st person-centric marketing materials like in the trailers and screenshots. Hopefully it'll be good.

Anyway, apparently there's also a similar game coming out later today.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

It seems the price has been set ($24.99). I have little interest on it until I found out that you can toggle between 1st person and 3rd person in the game. They shouldn't have released such 1st person-centric marketing materials like in the trailers and screenshots. Hopefully it'll be good.

never heard of it but as a pet fanboy, this:

"Use the Pacify spell to tame ferocious creatures and amass an army of minions. Tamed companions will gain experience and grow with you as you travel the world and triumph in battle. Siege an enemy fortress with a horde of savage Orcs, ride Horses and Direwolves to quickly traverse the vast landscape, or rain fiery death upon your enemies from the back of a Dragon!"

you-had-my-curiosity.gif

Madventure

That just looks like someone glued together Ark + Harry Potter

I mean the trailer even has a "We can't call this a quidditch arena but uh.. look it totally is one! We're even on brooms!"

Anyways I just like how they're all running with staves in the exact same animation/pose for most of the it.

Hollow Knight ended up being one of the finest metroid-likes, one of the finest souls-likes and best game with insect characters I've played. An obvious love letter to the games that inspired its design and trappings, yet stands on its own. After getting 100% completion in other games of its type, I didn't have much interest in going back to them for DLC, but I'm looking forward to that with this game and its world.

Can't believe it got slept on so much, particularly in STEAM threads. No one talks about this game at all, ever.

Nabs

Hollow Knight ended up being one of the finest metroid-likes, one of the finest souls-likes and best game with insect characters I've played. An obvious love letter to the games that inspired its design and trappings, yet stands on its own. After getting 100% completion in other games of its type, I didn't have much interest in going back to them for DLC, but I'm looking forward to that with this game and its world.

Can't believe it got slept on so much, particularly in STEAM threads. No one talks about this game at all, ever.

People keep doubting the praise for some reason.

zkylon

zkylewd
iAludmB.png

idk guys, i think god eater might be a bad game

i can't stand this story, it's too cliche and bad and i hate all about it lol

and the game's become repetitive in a way i don't really enjoy anymore

i got like 10 hours out of it so i'm not super bummed if i drop it here or soon but i find myself in a very negative spyral of self loathing while spending time playing this game lol

Anno

2 or 3 of us were calling it 2017 GOTY and one of, if not the best game ever in its genre, a few weeks to a month after release lol. Can't help no one listened to us until recently.

Grug

2 or 3 of us were calling it 2017 GOTY a few weeks to a month after release lol. Can't help no one listened to us until recently.

Well to be fair, there is a religiously fanatic fandom for practically everything on NeoGAF. It becomes hard to take it on board as a recommendation system.

That said, you were right about Hollow Knight. It's ****ing wonderful!

iAludmB.png

i got like 10 hours out of it so i'm not super bummed if i drop it here or soon but i find myself in a very negative spyral of self loathing while spending time playing this game lol

After reading most of your impressions here..

*removes game from whistlist

Unexplore needs a Hollow Knighting, stat.

I will call it Roguelike of the Year right here and now.
iAludmB.png

I suggest you find a game you enjoy and play that instead.

At the moment I'd recommend Warframe. Ninjas in space and all that, you can't go wrong.

zkylon

zkylewd
After reading most of your impressions here..

*removes game from whistlist
i mean, that's my impressions and i'm no expert or anything

normally i don't get this irritated by bad cutscenes but this is too much for me

I suggest you find a game you enjoy and play that instead.

At the moment I'd recommend Warframe. Ninjas in space and all that, you can't go wrong.
tried playing it with a friend a long while ago i found it really really boring

we played serious for one session, then next session kept trying to kick each other and then uninstalled it lol

Lain

Man, I remember this game. More specifically, I remember giving a friend shit about it many years ago as he tried to hype it up to me. I'm surprised this thing is still alive.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (NingenJanai, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Ara fell -- MB-9B4870943C0B03E9 - Taken by Jawmuncher

i mean, that's my impressions and i'm no expert or anything

normally i don't get this irritated by bad cutscenes but this is too much for me

tried playing it with a friend a long while ago i found it really really boring

we played serious for one session, then next session kept trying to kick each other and then uninstalled it lol

I've been on the fence since the initial PC reveal and I almost bought it last summer sale.

Though I've already watched the anime (it's good, quality-wise) so I think I won't be missing that much.

Man, I remember this game. More specifically, I remember giving a friend shit about it many years ago as he tried to hype it up to me. I'm surprised this thing is still alive.

Welp, it's that bad? I guess I should stick with Citadel for now.

Sarcasm

Seems like ARK type of game.

So hard pass.

zkylon

zkylewd
I've been on the fence since the initial PC reveal and I almost bought it last summer sale.

Though I've already watched the anime (it's good, quality-wise) so I think I won't be missing that much.
i enjoy the gameplay loop in this game and early on it felt like there was some variety to it but now i'm just plowing through missions and i can't really tell them apart anymore

but honestly i do like meaningful parts of the game, it's just the story stuff and the repetitiveness that make me feel like i'm wasting my time with it

also my league night was called off early so now i'm left with only it to play

i feel if i go back to hollow knight i'll never play god eater again and i want to at least end my time with the game feeling mildly content?

i enjoy the gameplay loop in this game and early on it felt like there was some variety to it but now i'm just plowing through missions and i can't really tell them apart anymore

but honestly i do like meaningful parts of the game, it's just the story stuff and the repetitiveness that make me feel like i'm wasting my time with it

You need Monster Hunter in your life. MHW can't come soon enough!

zkylon

zkylewd
You need Monster Hunter in your life. MHW can't come soon enough!

yeah, i actually been thinking that might be the case

this game made me think back to why i love dragon's dogma so much despite that game sharing some issues what with the thumb-tiring mashy combat and the poorly constructed cutscenes, but i guess there's where the exploration aspect of dragon's dogma raises it to another level, as well as many other elements about it i really appreciate

they're not really similar games but i guess that's why i like one and dislike the other one

That sudden ending was the best part though. It leaves you wanting more so damn bad.
Unless they fuck it up spectacularly, they got my money on this one.

I actually don't remember the ending, I thought it was an OK game but it didn't sway me enough to remember the story. Just tidbits here and there.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

What if I told you all the time you spend playing videogames is a waste of your time? Thats right.

Monooboe

Whoa, I think I remember being hyped for Dark & Light, it was going to be the next big thing. I think it was the game where I was hyped you could use your shield to clide down snow mountaints and such. Then WOW happened.

Mivey

Is that the second one? You already finished Ressurection? Man, you're a trooper. Or, you have access to a chamber that sits outside normal time and space, therefore granting you infinite time to play games ,at the cost of faster aging.

zkylon

zkylewd
idTCadc.png

shortly after this terrible cutscene where my dead stare character got told she had fearful eyes i got a schoolgirl uniform, so i guess there's still hope for this game

i think what i'm gonna do is just skip all the optional missions and see where the story goes i guess?

i get through story missions so easy that there's not much of a point in doing the optional ones

i'll keep going while listening to enb play through dark souls 2 and see where i land in a few hours from now? maybe?

What if I told you all the time you spend playing videogames is a waste of your time? Thats right.

i don't suscribe to that line of thought :>

videogames are great, the rest of my life is a waste of my time :>

Is that the second one? You already finished Ressurection? Man, you're a trooper. Or, you have access to a chamber that sits outside normal time and space, therefore granting you infinite time to play games ,at the cost of faster aging.
lol you cray

about 10 hours into the first one, i don't get to play videogames that much
cos most of my game time goes towards league......

iAludmB.png

I suggest watching the anime instead, I got sick of the game after Resurrection, the second one is supposedly even longer and more repetitive.

kagamin

The most fun I had in God Eater was the aragami that actually have unique moves and can easily kick your ass, otherwise the patterns in some enemy types can wear down on you after a time, awesome music though and some great fights.

The anime is actually bad please don't watch it.

Ascheroth

ye idk why ppl keep suggesting i watch the anime when i keep saying the story is garbage lol
It has some cool action and is visually ambitious.
But it's like the first half of the first arc of the game, which is the weakest part of the story. And they went pretty off the rails towards the end.
But it has some cool action and is visually ambitious.

Also:
i'll keep going while listening to enb play through dark souls 2 and see where i land in a few hours from now? maybe?
You're missing out on the music, no wonder you don't like the game :p

kagamin

I can't wait to play the new Layton game today, any minute now and I'll be able to download it on to my tablet! Any minute... any second, when the hell do they update the google play store.

Ascheroth

I suggest watching the anime instead, I got sick of the game after Resurrection, the second one is supposedly even longer and more repetitive.
The second one is longer, but also has many new mechanics that spice things up and the new Aragami are much better as well (they basically get better with every new iteration of one of the games).
It also has new great music :p
In terms of repetitiveness: I've basically mentioned it all the time that things get really repetitive if you try to do all the optional missions.

zkylon

zkylewd
You're missing out on the music, no wonder you don't like the game :p
yeah i particularly enjoy the song on the base since that sounds kinda like a nier song

The more progress, the less clothes. ��
yeah i'm having fun posting my progress here cos this game is so silly heh

you can't customize nearly enough for my taste, i keep wishing i could go full saints row and constantly change boob size and now i'm fat and now i'm a dude and now i'm naked and shit

saints row really unleashed my full potential

shortly after this terrible cutscene where my dead stare character got told she had fearful eyes i got a schoolgirl uniform, so i guess there's still hope for this game

i think what i'm gonna do is just skip all the optional missions and see where the story goes i guess?

i get through story missions so easy that there's not much of a point in doing the optional ones

God Eater Resurrection is actually a compilation of the original game plus two expansions, so it has three different sets of story. The first, vanilla one - the one you're on now - is honestly the worst. With each iteration the storytelling would become increasingly coherent, with more articulate facial expressions and better scene direction.

Take this just as information and not as some kind of a a "trust me it gets better" endorsement of the game, though, as I don't know whether it would actually be worth it for you considering all the suffering you've expressed.

The more progress, the less clothes. ��
When playing it, I was frustrated by the lack of decent clothes for the female player character. Then I realized that every single person on the main team shows their navel (even the hooded edgy guy with three-layer clothing has like a small window where his navel peeks through). Afterwards I just embraced the silliness, gave my character bare midriff and called them Team Bellybutton.

kAmui-

yo guys, i'm interested in learning to code, and i'm planning on doing a homestudy in the near future. but before i work out my exact plans, is there a game that lets you get a little acquainted on the basics? like in a simple interactive fun way..

Yes I would be interested in this, too

TIS-100 is good, but if you know nothing about programming it can be tough as it's basically pure assembly. I'd recommend Human Resource Machine. I feel like it's good at teaching the basics like jumps/if-statements, additions etc. It has kind of a steep learning curve after the beginning and gets to somewhat more advanced stuff like dealing with memory, but it's doable. It's also wrapped in a very cute and funny package.

Endruen

TIS-100 is good, but if you know nothing about programming it can be tough as it's basically pure assembly. I'd recommend Human Resource Machine. I feel like it's good at teaching the basics like jumps/if-statements, additions etc. It has kind of a steep learning curve after the beginning and gets to somewhat more advanced stuff like dealing with memory, but it's doable. It's also wrapped in a very cute and funny package.

I started learning C++ a couple of months ago. I played Human Resource Machine several months back, but now I can't appreciate how accurate it is to programming.

zkylon

zkylewd
oh i missed this thread

yeah human resource machine is a good way to learn programming logic (tho kind of makes you want to pull ur hair out if you're a programmer)

honestly the best thing to learn programming is probably to go straight to it. there are tools that make it really easy to get something up and running like gamemaker and construct 2 and unity (or my favorite, haxeflixel) in very little time and they all have really easy to follow tutorials and good communities

they're also all free (with caveats, but for starters it's more than enough)

if i was looking to learn how to code i'd just follow some tutorials and change things along the way. i like gamemaker a lot and there's some really good tutorials to make your own shootemup and you can just create your own weapons and stuff with simple editors and minimal coding

it's awesome, everyone should learn how to code :>

God Eater Resurrection is actually a compilation of the original game plus two expansions, so it has three different sets of story. The first, vanilla one - the one you're on now - is honestly the worst. With each iteration the storytelling would become increasingly coherent, with more articulate facial expressions and better scene direction.

Take this just as information and not as some kind of a a "trust me it gets better" endorsement of the game, though, as I don't know whether it would actually be worth it for you considering all the suffering you've expressed.
honestly it hasn't been putting me through much "suffering", i enjoy the game, just don't find it to be a very good use of my time since it's grindy with a very linear progression (as in, my numbers go up as palette swapped enemies with higher numbers appear) so it feels kind of like a waste

i was hoping that's where the story bits would come in, much like in mercenary kings, but while i found that game to be fun, this one's a real drag

but i'll see, don't want to give the impression that this game is terrible, just that it's not very good :p

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Game of Thrones: A TellTale Games Series -- MB-F962B5FAB8EBF2E6 - Taken by Zeknurn. 4 entrants total.
Batman: The TellTale Series -- MB-810630C8F0C5EF15 - Taken by oipic. 42 entrants total.
Hector: Badge of Carnage -- MB-E43FEA6B1182A8F0 - Taken by Smeagol. 2 entrants total.
Poker Night at the Inventory -- MB-2249F9B3D58F7094 - Taken by CGriffiths86. 1 entrants total.
Puzzle Agent -- MB-42834F0FE3D1007C - Taken by GrinningColossus. 1 entrants total.
Puzzle Agent 2 -- MB-5A40C35A9648ABBD - Taken by aqws. 1 entrants total.
Tales from the Borderlands -- MB-C1A216394FB52CC4 - Taken by Camel Master. 10 entrants total.

t1500549069z1.png

ye idk why ppl keep suggesting i watch the anime when i keep saying the story is garbage lol

The anime is 13-episode long, so you can finish it in less than 3 hours. You could've saved 7 hours of your life by watching the anime instead of slogging through the game, and by playing the game you still have lots of hours to burn in front of you. The story is mostly the same anyway.

zkylon

zkylewd
The anime is 13-episode long, so you can finish it in less than 3 hours. You could've saved 7 hours of your life by watching the anime instead of slogging through the game, and by playing the game you still have lots of hours to burn in front of you. The story is mostly the same anyway.

ye but i don't play the game for the story

if i did i would've quit ages ago -__-

Ascheroth

The anime only covers half of the first story arc of God Eater 1 (with changes). There are 3 arcs in the game. And those are better then the part the anime covers :p

Ascheroth

With all the God Eater talk I just searched for my 'review' after I finished Resurrection, which I posted in the Steam thread at the time:
Finished God Eater Resurrection with all the achievements (the collect all other achievements one is apparently bugged, but I guess that's why SAM exists).
I had a ton of fun with the game, but it's also definitely not without its faults.

Gameplay
It's very fast-paced, and missions usually take between 5 and 10 minutes, some are shorter if you're good and others are longer. You can always switch between melee and ranged, can dash-evade and block with all set-ups. Weapon categories are varied enough with how they play and differ in the types of damage they deal - different enemy parts are weaker/stronger against different damage types. It's mostly important for bond-breaking, but not terribly important if you just want to kill things.
I'm slightly dissappointed in how Guns get more and more important the further you get in the game. It gets really easy to refill your Oracle gauge (*cough* The Cornix devour is completely broken *cough*) and skills to reduce bullet costs. Thankfully I've heard that God Eater 2 does that better.
The game isn't really grindy at all. You usually have enough materials by just doing the missions available and there's also the option to craft missing materials.

Difficulty:
It's really easy for the majority of the game. There are only a handful story missions that are actually challenging and it's only at the end where missions are actually more often difficult than not. Apparently it's the easiest game out of all the God Eater games and their versions, because the 'old' content isn't really balanced for the new additions. Predator-styles are fun, but they and control units can easily become completely OP.
It's really only the Resurrection content that gets noticably more difficult and most of the Challenge missions at the end are fantastic. Not only because of how challenging they are, but also because the missions themselves are more interesting. There are missions where you have half a minute to precision-shoot down some weak enemies. There are missions where you have to fight hordes of weaker/medium strong Aragamis while a extremely strong Aragami tries to murder you. There are missions where you have to survive until the time limit is over and try to gather and kill as much as possible, etc.

Monster variety/pacing:
I think the variety is decent and new Aragami are introduced fairly regularly. There's only one stretch where it gets really repetitive and mostly only throws Fallen versions at you, which are essentially color-swapped versions of Aragami that have a different element, look slightly different and have slightly stronger attacks. That part can really drag (I think it's Difficulty 4/5), but it never gets as bad as that again.
What's really neat is how you can see how enemies got more interesting and better designed with each version of the game. Breaking enemy-bonds is essentially only relevant for drops and reducing defense at first, but later on there appear Aragami where there is more to that. The Hannibal has scales on its back that are its weak point - but if you break them it gets a power-up and a new move. The Venus has a lot of bonds you can break to seal off some of its attacks. Breaking the Calligulas 'claws' vastly reduces its attack range, etc... Some really cool stuff.

Story:
Was actually way more entertaining than I thought. It's anime as fuck and can get really cheesy at times, but it's also really engaging at others. The second story arc was great.

NPCs
Something I really liked about the game. Taking them on missions with you earns them AP you can use to unlock more skills - most are passive buffs, stat increases, new bullets ore skills that affect the rewards after a mission. There are also a number of small 'cutscenes' for each NPC that can trigger after a mission that simply have you spend some time with them and give some characterisation.
Speaking of characterisation, the personality of the NPCs also reflect in their behaviour during missions. Like Annette and Frederico just stay and do nothing if you get to far from them, like the rookies they are, or how Alisa is very good at making sure your Burst is always at level 3, or how Kanon likes to shoot you in the back.

Music
Soundtrack is great. I like how most of the songs have a number of different versions depending on the map and which Aragami are in it.

Probably forgot a couple things, but that's already way too many words :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom