• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2017 - MASH ALL THE BUTTONS 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

40% off is what Styx 2 was a few days ago on steam, so I guess we can assume that its the discount it will have during the sale, and the same for the surge's 20%.

20% :(
Remind me when was the last time a aaa game on pc went for more than 25% off a few mnthsnafter release?

So I fixed the Wolfenstein crashes. It seemed it was actually my overclock which did it. When I tried underclocking before I had forgotten to apply the new settings. But now that I tuned down the overclock, there's no more crashes.

Looking aside from this game, can I overclock the "core clock" and "memory clock" as long as the GPU temperature doesn't reach 80 degrees?

Temperature isn't the be all, end all. At some point, raising the core or memory clock speed is going to make your system unstable (while intensely using your GPU).

1) Only adjust one clock at a time. Find the highest the core clock will go before you have issues, then back off that number a bit. Then do the same with memory clock.

2) Memory clock can be overclocked significantly more than the core clock. Core clock has a much larger effect on your GPUs performance though to the point you could not even bother overclocking your memory clock and be fine.

3) How far you can push your GPU varies between every card. Sometimes you get a dud, and sometimes you get a champ, or something in between.

4) My Nvidia 970 is overclocked by 110MHz on the core clock, and 450MHz on the memory clock. It can go past those numbers by maybe 20-40MHz on the core clock, but I backed it off where I started to have graphical artifacting and crashes.

5) Properly tuning your GPU takes hours, unfortunately, and there's definitely more to it than keeping the temperature below a certain point.

6) To cut down on the time it takes. Start with +100MHz on core and +500MHz on memory (do them separately though), and go up 20MHz/50MHz at a time until you start to get crashes or black artifacts, then back up from there.

7) I am not responsible for any damage you do to your system :p. I am not an expert and there are much better overclocking guides than this if you Google around.

edit: 8) You can adjust voltage and power limits too, but I wouldn't mess with those if you don't know what you're doing.

General flow:

1) Set overclock to some starting position, for example +100MHz over your base.
2) Test stability in a benchmark (e.g. Unigine Heaven benchmark)
3) If stable, raise core clock by 20MHz.
4) Repeat steps 2 and 3 until crashes, freezes, unexpectedly low framerates or black artifacts begin to appear.
5) Reduce overclock back down to previous stable amount.
6) Accept that overclock or make smaller adjustments.
Optional) Back down your overclock a little (10MHz) from your highest stable overclock, just to be ultra-certain of stability.

Caveat) Overclocking does decrease the lifespan of your components, but it's by little enough that there's a 99% chance won't matter. Even if you upgrade very infrequently (5 or 6 years) overclocking won't matter enough that lifespan is a concern.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Remind me when was the last time a aaa game on pc went for more than 25% off a few mnthsnafter release?

The fact I expected a low discount doesnt mean I cant be sad about it.

I dont expect Emma Stone to fall in love with me but I'm still sad about it every day.

FoneBone

Heard enough good things about Gemini to make the Humble E3 Bundle worth $1 (plus as a licensed game, it'll inevitably get delisted). Here's a bunch of DLC I don't care about:

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Battle Islands Commanders - E3 Exclusive Crate -- MB-F55844CBE81E7C92
Blade & Soul Shadow Guard Bundle -- MB-08733D5331DD2013 - Taken by Endruen
Crossout - Thug Starter Pack (Gaijin Games Key) -- MB-D9F1D13FC3253357 - Taken by Kurt Russell
Gems of War Demon Hunter Bundle -- MB-9F695AE8735C3775 - Taken by rainking187
Gotham City Impostors Free to Play: Professional Impostor Kit -- MB-F678E0D72D56EEE1
HAWKEN Prosk Starter Bundle -- MB-2389308179D7507F - Taken by Eila
Master x Master Poharan Pack (NCSoft Key) -- MB-1A8B5DEFA9B46B1E
Rock of Ages 2 Classic Pack -- MB-E2E8AF12841355C2 - Taken by fuzzy123
Spellforce 3 Beta Access -- MB-AB885CB83215633C - Taken by didamangi
Tyranny - Portrait Pack -- MB-504E729CE9CC4891 - Taken by Javier23

vilmer_

I just realized I still have Mirror's Edge, SiN Episodes and Torchlight II as gift items. If anybody wants them they're all yours.

SiN Episodes is incredible btw. A true gem.

bbd23

The Evil Within is such a nice looking game. they really nailed the environments in the game so far(chapter 6). The gameplay has finally clicked with me after multiple attempts even though it still is pretty ass to control. really need to use the environment to your advantage. The agony crossbow is such an awesome weapon that allows for a lot of unique ways to kill groups of enemies.

Laura gives me anxiety

I might have gotten KoF if it came out when it launched on console but as of right now I'm happy still playing Tekken 7. They fucked this launch up by releasing later, a week after Tekken, and at full launch price.

Coreda

Just requested my first refund of the year - King of Fighters 14 just wasn't clicking for me. :(

Looks like most of the early user reviews are positive. Was hoping the gameplay is alright. Ironically I'm more interested in it with the move to 3D since I didn't particularly like the 2D versions, yet was the opposite with SF.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Looks like most of the early user reviews are positive. Was hoping the gameplay is alright. Ironically I'm more interested in it with the move to 3D since I didn't particularly like the 2D versions, yet was the opposite with SF.

I guess I'm the opposite... I have kof 13 steam edition and like it but the gameplay here just felt off to me.
I had preordered the deluxe edition too so I guess that's $60 saved.

Kssio_Aug

Haven't played Wolfenstein yet, but after Wolfenstein 2 trailer and so many recommendations about the 1st when in the thread I created when I finished Doom, Wolfenstein is probably my number 1 priority in this Summer Sale.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Haven't played Wolfenstein yet, but after Wolfenstein 2 trailer and so many recommendations about the 1st when in the thread I created when I finished Doom, Wolfenstein is probably my number 1 priority in this Summer Sale.

its fantastic. Old Blood didnt do much for me unfortunately (still good tho)

Rhaknar

tonight I learned Morningbus is the worst PUBG driver ever in the history of PUBG

Help?
I've just tried to gift Wolfenstein: TNO to a friend in China, yet the checkout page says it can not be activated outside of Taiwan and Hong Kong. I thought the new gifting policy has eliminated this? I've checked, this game has no TW & HK specific sub. What is going on?

Mikurden

The only explanation I could think of right now, is that Valve added the price difference restriction on top of the existing region locks. If so it fucking stupid.
I'm sure you would know, but isn't Taiwan a much richer country than China, so maybe the price difference is too great? Either that or Steam is taking a bold stand against the One-China policy.

I'm sure you would know, but isn't Taiwan a much richer country than China, so maybe the price difference is too great? Either that or Steam is taking a bold stand against the One-China policy.
Makes zero sense to block gifting from a region with higher price to a region with lower price.

I tried GTAV, which is close to 65 USD, still has the warning text at checkout.

Edit: Richer, yes, but not "on par or richer than the US" like AAA publishers priced their games.

Rhaknar

Tonight I got badmouthed by a dude who has watched the least amount of PUBG ever.

hey man. I saw you flip a car in a flat field.

That is true tho, that was the first ever footage I saw from that game lol.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
hey man. I saw you flip a car in a flat field.

That is true tho, that was the first ever footage I saw from that game lol.

In my defense: there are small hills there and the physics system is currently so borked it causes your car to flip like crazy.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
A likely excuse

Not me, but for example:

GrotesqueCheapHeifer-size_restricted.gif

Rhaknar

Tonight we have learned that Morningbus is super neurotic about his PUBG play.

Pachimari

Temperature isn't the be all, end all. At some point, raising the core or memory clock speed is going to make your system unstable (while intensely using your GPU).

1) Only adjust one clock at a time. Find the highest the core clock will go before you have issues, then back off that number a bit. Then do the same with memory clock.

2) Memory clock can be overclocked significantly more than the core clock. Core clock has a much larger effect on your GPUs performance though to the point you could not even bother overclocking your memory clock and be fine.

3) How far you can push your GPU varies between every card. Sometimes you get a dud, and sometimes you get a champ, or something in between.

4) My Nvidia 970 is overclocked by 110MHz on the core clock, and 450MHz on the memory clock. It can go past those numbers by maybe 20-40MHz on the core clock, but I backed it off where I started to have graphical artifacting and crashes.

5) Properly tuning your GPU takes hours, unfortunately, and there's definitely more to it than keeping the temperature below a certain point.

6) To cut down on the time it takes. Start with +100MHz on core and +500MHz on memory (do them separately though), and go up 20MHz/50MHz at a time until you start to get crashes or black artifacts, then back up from there.

7) I am not responsible for any damage you do to your system :p. I am not an expert and there are much better overclocking guides than this if you Google around.

edit: 8) You can adjust voltage and power limits too, but I wouldn't mess with those if you don't know what you're doing.
Thanks a lot for this guide! I have set my core clock to 100MHz and will go up 20MHz from there. After that, I will overclock my memory clock. Is the default 0MHz or -MHz?

Rhaknar

So what would happen if you both were the last two alive?

Would you then shoot Nabs in the face like I asked you to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom