• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2017 - MASH ALL THE BUTTONS 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Thursday will either be:

The best summer Steam sale ever. With flash deals, meta games and amazing discounts that SteamGAF jumps all over instantly.

or

The worst summer sale ever. With no meta game or flash deals. Plus shit deals. 50% off is the new 75% off. 66% off is the new 85% off. and most fucked up thing when publishers bump price of games the night before the sale.

Agreed, except trading cards have given us free money so its essentially a free games sale assuming you idle cards.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
The worst summer sale ever. With no meta game or flash deals. Plus shit deals. 50% off is the new 75% off. 66% off is the new 85% off. and most fucked up thing when publishers bump price of games the night before the sale.

That wouldn't be the worst, that would put it equal with the last few years.

yuraya

Arent there rumors that at least the "new client" would launch with the sale?

I doubt it now that we are days away from the sale. I would assume they would roll out something like that via a beta of some kind first.

Tho it is Valve. I can see them releasing a broken client to everyone and watch the world burn while store page gets hammered during the sale. It could be up there with the gems nonsense they botched a few years back lol.

yuraya

The meta game I miss the most is the clicker thing they did couple years ago. I wish they'd do another. It was so exhausting but still so memorable and so fun for some reason.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Are there any safeguards against phishing links? By default, Steam has huge warnings whenever you're leaving their site.

(I don't know what SteamID64 is, in case that is relevant.)

This would all be configured on the user side, so a user would have to enter the phishing link into their options and then subsequently click on it - the only dynamic data it would pass to said site would be your SteamID64 (the long string of characters at the end of your Steam permalink). The custom links are also disabled by default so a user would have to go through multiple steps in order to accidentally phish themselves.

Random request but anyone around today to give me a hand with a RE5 level? I'm going through it for the first time on PC after rinsing it out years ago on 360, but I forgot how fucking awful Sheva's AI is.

I'm in the refinery bit with the ziplines and the chainsaw dudes, and she just keeps getting stuck on geometry and being instakilled.

Battlechili

Banned
I'm excited for the summer sale
A lot of games I've passed on that I need to grab. Trails in the Sky and Zero Escape: The Nonary Games are at the top of the list. I thought The Nonary Games was priced a little high on release so hopefully it'll be much better off now.

Though a small part of me wants to ignore the sale and grab new releases like Valkyrie Drive and Ultra Despair Girls.

This would all be configured on the user side, so a user would have to enter the phishing link into their options and then subsequently click on it - the only dynamic data it would pass to said site would be your SteamID64 (the long string of characters at the end of your Steam permalink). The custom links are also disabled by default so a user would have to go through multiple steps in order to accidentally phish themselves.

Oh, er, that works way differently than I thought. I was envisioning people stumbling onto the Steam profile of someone they're chatting to, clicking the link in that other person's profile, and then visiting stork.steampovvered or something.
It kind of works, but doing it Silent Storm style would have been so much better.

Not familiar with Silent Storm, but their reaction turns are being overhauled with XCOM 2's War of the Chosen expansion. It'll only occur if the turn is used in their line of sight, rather than universally. And then the expansion's Chosen will then take the universal reaction turns, unless I'm misremembering.

And yeah, the reaction turns completely change the way you operate. I've only encountered the super aliens as the last pod in a mission (maybe that's intentional, now that I think of it), but it's turned traditional cover-to-cover gameplay into something where the more important thing is where they are, not where you are. You basically have to ignore regular aliens to make anything work, otherwise the super aliens will outmaneuver and eliminate everyone.

It's super frustrating, but super cool. I can't think of another game that shakes up its rules so fundamentally while still remaining functional.

Nabs

F6RFuc1.gif

I finally got into the Absolver beta. Check your email.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Arent there rumors that at least the "new client" would launch with the sale?

A little bird told me that Valve was toying with the idea of tying the beta into a meta-game in some manner. First-wave access shortly after the sale ends would make the most sense, assuming the client is far enough along.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Oh, er, that works way differently than I thought. I was envisioning people stumbling onto the Steam profile of someone they're chatting to, clicking the link in that other person's profile, and then visiting stork.steampovvered or something.

Oh yeah nope that would be quite dangerous. Whatever you personally set here will only be visible to you and won't affect other users.

For example, there was this popular pull request that requested barter.vg be added to the custom profile links section. But after looking at the site, it looked like it was only in use by about 10,000 users which wouldn't be applicable to a large percentage of Steam (or even Enhanced Steam) users. This change would let people who wanted it to add "barter.vg/steam/[ID]" to the custom URL section which would add a barter.vg shortcut to every profile page you visited.

Parsnip

Speaking of clients, new regular old beta is up.

We've started a new client beta which includes the following changes.

General
Improvements to Steam client connectivity on networks where custom UDP/TCP ports are blocked
Decreased latency for some network operations in the Steam Client
Updated web control to CEF v60.0.3112.10
Fixed custom launch arguments not applying when running 3rd party Half-Life or Half-Life 2 mods

Video
Fix “initializing video decoder” error that occurred on first playback of a video

Streaming
Restored previous desktop behavior of controllers when streaming the desktop

Steam Input
Added Overlap Region setting to 8-Way and Analog Emulation D-Pad modes. This region specifies what proportion the diagonal overlapping region takes up relative to the cardinal directions.
Gyro improvements to precision and stability over time
Fixed a bug which would cause precision errors and jitter over long periods of time with Steam running
PS4 Controller Gyro now uses hardware calibration instead of software calibration. This should improve general drift performance and no longer requires the Calibration step in Steam.
Added check for InputMapper and DS4Windows on connection of PS4 Controllers. If either program is running Steam will ignore the controller until it is reconnected.
Added dedicated controller log files – controller.txt and controller_ui.txt
Fixed a bug where configurations might not be applied if a controller went from being wireless to wired or vice-versa within a single session
Fixed a bug where configurations wouldn’t be saved if controller identity couldn’t be established properly
Fixed bug in Community Config Browser where some buttons didn’t work via mouse clicks
Fixed bug in Big Picture Overlay which prevented users from switching between which controller was being configured when multiple controllers were connected
Fixed bug in Big Picture Login Screen where On-Screen Keyboards would lose touchpad input on the password entry screen
Fixed bug where only Mouse/KB prompts were shown in the Desktop Client’s Controller Configurator
Fixed bug where PS4 Controller registrations would not carry over from MacOS to Windows or Linux and vice-versa
Fixed “Turn off controller on Big Picture exit” setting
Fixed “Guide button focuses Steam” setting

Purkake4

Banned
Not familiar with Silent Storm, but their reaction turns are being overhauled with XCOM 2's War of the Chosen expansion. It'll only occur if the turn is used in their line of sight, rather than universally. And then the expansion's Chosen will then take the universal reaction turns, unless I'm misremembering.

And yeah, the reaction turns completely change the way you operate. I've only encountered the super aliens as the last pod in a mission (maybe that's intentional, now that I think of it), but it's turned traditional cover-to-cover gameplay into something where the more important thing is where they are, not where you are. You basically have to ignore regular aliens to make anything work, otherwise the super aliens will outmaneuver and eliminate everyone.

It's super frustrating, but super cool. I can't think of another game that shakes up its rules so fundamentally while still remaining functional.
The pod-reaction system is a whole different kettle of fish. Silent Storm has each material have different HP ratings and states of destruction, so if you machine gun a wall (you can aim at anything) it will eventually make a little hole to shoot/see through before collapsing all the way.

Reactions in Silent Storm are just a skill check to see if you spot each other and then if you both do another one for who goes first.

Still on Binding of Isaac Rebirth...

Hmm, I forgot about that.. guess I'll give it a go.

I'm glad I got it. Played it for 15 minutes and it just feels so much better than the flash version... I get the feeling that this time I'll be able to enjoy the game. Thanks, guys!

MaxiLive

Here are some spares there is a animu game in there somewhere!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (MaxiLive, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Finnish Roller -- MB-581D36A72F041CF6 - Taken by FeedMeAStrayCat. 1 entrants total.
Fluffy -- MB-9433363A21E79AD2 - Taken by Loptous. 2 entrants total.
Infinity Wings - Scout & Grunt -- MB-ABA6811226EF2DBB - Taken by SSPssp. 2 entrants total.
Nash Racing -- MB-2D12786B6B796FA6 - Taken by septicore. 1 entrants total.
POPixel - -- MB-5E7C73F765245FE1 - Taken by longlivegaming. 1 entrants total.
The Great Escape -- MB-968E4866C59C0086 - Taken by Vuze. 2 entrants total.
To Ash -- MB-108F077309A73E06 - Taken by dot. 1 entrants total.
Trouble In The Manor -- MB-CC0FE3F34F142FC3 - Taken by sadblob. 1 entrants total.
WORLD END ECONOMiCA episode.01 -- MB-774EC7627F245A4E - Taken by KainXVIII. 9 entrants total.
xheRJRF.gif
Recovery Search & Rescue Simulation -- MB-72A4A7F705812A9A - Taken by fuzzy123. 1 entrants total.

t1497908502z1.png

Monooboe

A little bird told me that Valve was toying with the idea of tying the beta into a meta-game in some manner. First-wave access shortly after the sale ends would make the most sense, assuming the client is far enough along.

I hope they do, would love a meta-game, if only just for the nostalgia.:D

Pachimari

Assassin's Creed is fucking insane. Who at Ubisoft thought it would be so much fun for us players to go through the same bullshit again and again, doing the same routine for the next 15 hours jesus almighty.

MUnited83

For you.
Assassin's Creed is fucking insane. Who at Ubisoft thought it would be so much fun for us players to go through the same bullshit again and again, doing the same routine for the next 15 hours jesus almighty.

fun fact: The PC version is the least repetitive of them all. You heard that right, the console version is even more of repeatfest

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
They made 10 games worth of the same routine.

Wok

that's a very nice article, it still omits games nobody played that are good, I have quite a few such in mind when reading about lists and how they are still popularity lists even hidden gems ones, like CAVYHOUSE games for example

I wanted to check the ranking of the games which you mention (maybe their Wilson score is lower, but their popularity score would make them appear in the ranking), but I got banned from SteamDB for DDOSing scraping their pages for the whole Steam catalog. Oops.
I should have foreseen this. So, well, it is not possible, I guess.

For what it is worth, this is the list of about a thousand games sorted by "hidden gem" quality, which is basically the first 1000 top rated games from SteamDB sorted differently. So the games which you suggested cannot appear there.
https://gist.githubusercontent.com/...6e5930406ad5ea8868d9b438e725b/hidden_gems.txt

SSR is 239th. Maybe a gem, but not so hidden...

Edit: With clickable links: https://gist.github.com/woctezuma/0b2213ca75e0116fd7e2188b0f17b3da

Anteater

probably best decision ever since they were able to make those games annually

you just need to pull through until Revelations where the real game starts with the Tower Defence mode

Pachimari

Yeah, I don't know, I started doubting I could get through all of them Ass Creeds, oh man I need some stuff in my throat , boost that energy to the sevens of heavens, give me strength.

I'll complete this game this month. But I ain't going for all the side content.

Naarmight

Has anyone ever used a controller for binding of isaac? I feel like it would be hard with the 4 way shooting.

I played the original with keyboard, but with Rebirth I have only played with a pad, it is much better. Like Nabs said you use the face buttons to shoot in different direction and it works perfectly.

Oh on another note, that VN Humble Bundle has to be the closest I have ever seen beat the average be to the top tier

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
FOMO culture is bad for your health. You don't need to experience everything. You especially don't need to experience all of the same thing, either.

Yeah, I don't know, I started doubting I could get through all of them Ass Creeds, oh man I need some stuff in my throat , boost that energy to the sevens of heavens, give me strength.

I'll complete this game this month. But I ain't going for all the side content.

II is the best. You can stop after it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
AssCreed > 2 ~ Brotherhood > Syndicate > Unity > Black Flag > Revelations > Rogue > 3. I'd probably put Rogue ahead of Revelations if it weren't for the Colonial America setting; it's my least favourite by a country mile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom