• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not bad, but I thought it was missing that certain special something, you know?

jojosaoirse2pjg5.png

There. Much better. >.>

Lol, much better.

mannerbot

Well shit I've just had my first real problem with Steam where they have deactivated my Dark Souls 2 CD key 10 days after I bought it.

I got it from simplycdkeys so it shouldn't be a problem getting another one (hopefully) but I'm pretty pissed that Steam thinks it's OK to deny me access to something I bought legally while the two companies involved sort their shit out - or more to the point make me do it for them.

Oh and before anyone says simplycdkeys is a shifty key site they are part of simply games who are a well known and fairly big UK retailer, which is where I'm from too, so that isn't the issue and my account has almost 300 games that have all been bought from Steam, simplycdkey, retail and greenmangaming so there is nothing out of place with that either.

Anyone had anything like this happen before? My main concern is losing the build I spent 19 hours on over the last 10 days putting together.

Here's the message I got btw: "Your recent Product code activation has been revoked due to a problem processing payment for this item. The games associated with this product code can no longer be played as a result. This could be due a problem with the payment methods you used to acquire this item from a third-party seller; or a problem with how the third-party seller acquired the Product code. Please contact the seller you acquired the Product code from for assistance."

Assholes! :(

Paid via PayPal who I called last night and they confirmed payment completed fine.

Rant/

You bought your key from a site that's offering preorders for GTA V PC and you're getting mad at Steam? lol.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
25 isn't quite 26, but I'll consider it a birthday blessing all the same, haha. I've bought about 30 games today (25 on Steam itself and a few keys from SF's own site).
Hah, I guessed right :p

I won the game.

Too late for playfire,
but at least I got it without cheating.
How did you manage to do it so fast? D:

Yo, that OLED screen bro. That screen. DASCREEN.

Like, yo, legit: every game needs to be on the vita because I lack a reason to turn on dascreen currently.

But whoo-boy, once that game comes along, you know I'm gonna be blastin' electric current through that organic semiconductor compound.

All I need is the game, man.
The OLED screen is great and it's a shame Sony removed it from the new Vita: it's quite bright, has a perfect contrast ratio, great colour reproduction (if a bit saturated), excellent viewing angles and basically 0 input lag, which is awesome. You also have to remember that when it released, the only similar screen on the market was that of the Samsung Galaxy S2 (no other device besides these two has used Super AMOLED+ if memory serves), and that one was of a slightly lower resolution even.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Not bad, but I thought it was missing that certain special something, you know?

http://abload.de/img/jojosaoirse2pjg5.png

There. Much better. >.>

I wasn't interested in this game before but now I am. :p

Well shit I've just had my first real problem with Steam where they have deactivated my Dark Souls 2 CD key 10 days after I bought it.

I got it from simplycdkeys so it shouldn't be a problem getting another one (hopefully) but I'm pretty pissed that Steam thinks it's OK to deny me access to something I bought legally while the two companies involved sort their shit out - or more to the point make me do it for them.

<snip>

Valve didn't do anything wrong here: the key was revoked because Valve was told by the provider to revoke it. Also, it should be said that key resellers aren't authorised sellers, which is to say that no digital distributor or publisher will consider a resold key as one you've actually bought. The situation you're in is the risk you accept by venturing off into the "grey market". "Buying" games through traders is the same, which is why it's recommended that unless you're dealing with somebody you absolutely trust you should use Steam items (such as keys) as payment as you're then insured should something go awry.

But are Retro/Grade and Famaze actually Steam keys? May be just because I'm tired, but I don't see anything on the site that indicates they are.

Just bought the bundle now and yes, both of those games comes with Steam keys.

Also can't wait to put that M|O|O|N| EP in my phone and listen to it, hoping the release date for Hotline Miami 2 comes sooner than later.

Finished Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, took me 20.6hrs
MAN, what a game.
I started it May 13 and I've just been playing it non stop since then, definitely enjoyed it way more than AC3, I got AC3 back in mid 2013, and only finished it May 6th(this year)

There are so many little differences that Ubisoft added into this game that just make it easily the best in the series, like the removal of assassin's to help you in combat/to send assassin's out in missions, that made it more about YOU and giving missions to have me go assassinate people? Hell yes! It feels like it's been ages that an Assassin's Creed game has actually been about assassinating people.

Although there was that Kenway's Fleet thing which was weird, turn based ship battle fights and trade routes and stuff? it was weird.
I don't know what I did in most of it but apparently I helped speed up all of Milamber's routes from 3hrs to 1hr, so uh, you're welcome.

Anyway, now that I've finished Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, Assassin's Creed: Revelations, Assassin's Creed 3 and Assassin's Creed IV I'm now caught up on all the mainline entries of Assassin's Creed!

Now the wait for Watch_Dogs begins.

JaseC

A few spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Continue?9876543210 -- MB-B63A264274A03980 - Taken by The Dear Leader
Rogue's Tale -- MB-1F18D7432C965BDA - Taken by Deques
Eschalon: Book 1 -- MB-947C07368B66536C - Taken by nightstorm

Cognition's third episode should have been included, but for some bizarre reason Phoenix set up the store sub such that it includes all of the data depots for the episode DLC but not the actual DLC apps themselves.

28500 Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller - Season One said:

JaseC

What else you got JC?

I have a bunch of Valve games, but I'm saving them for a Half-Life 3 giveaway. Everything else in my inventory is an investment. ;) Well, except for ARMA 2 -- I've been meaning to ask Bohemia to let me add it to my library (people who own the NA app can't buy/activate the ROW app and vice-versa).

I will personally vouch for the Wii U Pro Controller. It's very very good and has ridiculous battery life.

cons: digital triggers.

If I bought a Wii U controller I might be compelled to buy a Wii U. :p I'm in no dire need of new controller, but I do prefer the X1 controller to its older counterpart.

You bought your key from a site that's offering preorders for GTA V PC and you're getting mad at Steam? lol.

As said they are a pretty big retailer over here and I'm mad at both. Don't see what a placeholder pre-order has to do with it tbh.

Valve didn't do anything wrong here: the key was revoked because Valve was told by the provider to revoke it. Also, it should be said that key resellers aren't authorised sellers, which is to say that no digital distributor or publisher will consider a resold key as one you've bought legally. The situation you're in is the risk you accept by venturing off into the "grey market". "Buying" games through traders is the same, which is why it's recommended that unless you're dealing with somebody you absolutely trust you should use Steam items (such as keys) as payment as you're then insured should something go awry.

They disabled access to my game which I think is wrong - they could have warned me something was up and given me a week to sort it but instead pulled the trigger instantly which I find a bit anti consumer. Also simplycdkey is a wing of a retail store so I assume they just send you keys from boxes and dispose of them after, could be wrong though.

Listen I love Steam as much as anyone but I do find it a bit worrying the way they can deny access instantly and offer no reason.

Anyway my main worry is the save issue which was really why I posted. Has anyone had this happen before and not lost progress when they got the game restored? I think I'll be OK as the files appear to still be on the HDD but conformation would be nice.

jediyoshi

They disabled access to my game which I think is wrong - they could have warned me something was up and given me a week to sort it but instead pulled the trigger instantly which I find a bit anti consumer.

It's not anti consumer because you're not a consumer of theirs. It's out of Valve's hands and even if it were through proper channels, the onus is then at the publisher and their requests. You're only at the whims of the distributor you bought from in this scenario, who, to reiterate, didn't legitimately obtain their keys.

Arthea

I've read in FFX, X-2 HD topic that complaining on gaf about bad luck works, didn't work for me with FFX, but may be steamgaf will work.
I try to get some better cards from boosters in Card City Nights, but my luck sucks so much, that I get the same junk every single time. I begin to question existence of rare cards in those boosters!
let's hope it'll help (><)

JaseC

They disabled access to my game which I think is wrong - they could have warned me something was up and given me a week to sort it but instead pulled the trigger instantly which I find a bit anti consumer. Also simplycdkey is a wing of a retail store so I assume they just send you keys from boxes and dispose of them after, could be wrong though.

Listen I love Steam as much as anyone but I do find it a bit worrying the way they can deny access instantly and offer no reason.

Every retailer ever would do the same thing. The issue you're dealing with is that SCDK, as the actual owner of the key that you were given, complained to Valve that you weren't authorised to use it. My guess? Either SCDK is trying to pull a fast one or, more likely, your key was given out to another user accidentally and instead of just giving the runner-up a replacement SCDK also submitted a used key dispute with Valve to have it nuked.

People keep using this word, but what actual law are we talking about here?

I misspoke. Sue me.
(ba-dum-tish.)

Tizoc

I've read in FFX, X-2 HD topic that complaining on gaf about bad luck works, didn't work for me with FFX, but may be steamgaf will work.
I try to get some better cards from boosters in Card City Nights, but my luck sucks so much, that I get the same junk every single time. I begin to question existence of rare cards in those boosters!
let's hope it'll help (><)

Man now that you mention it, with FF3 releasing soon on Steam, I'm hoping FFX and X2 HD follow suit, even if it's a Late 2014 release.
in this case me and my brother would be buying that compilation for the 3rd time lol.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
stuff

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Retro/Grade -- MB-046894706EE26EF8 - Taken by 3chopl0x

It's not anti consumer because you're not a consumer of theirs. It's out of Valve's hands and even if it were through proper channels, the onus is then at the publisher and their requests. You're only at the whims of the distributor you bought from in this scenario, who, to reiterate, didn't legitimately obtain their keys.

I see what you're saying but I'm still pissed that they cut me off instantly instead of giving me a chance to look into it.

Your second point is only guess work unless you work for simply games but I very much doubt they have done anything wrong in obtaining the keys considering they probably get them from retail boxes - I know I'm guessing too ;)

Every retailer ever would do the same thing. The issue you're dealing with is that SCDK, as the actual owner of the key that you were given, complained to Valve that you weren't authorised to use it. My guess? Either SCDK is trying to pull a fast one or, more likely, your key was given out to another user accidentally and instead of just giving the runner-up a replacement SCDK also submitted a used key dispute with Valve to have it nuked.

Ah you are probably right about the duplicate in which case my rage at Valve is misplaced!

Glad I paid with PayPal.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just noticed Cart Life is gone from steam while doing some wishlist cleaning, what happened?

Dr Dogg

Anyone who has played Child of Light and Killer is Dead want to weigh in on which would be a better buy? My interest levels are about the same for bother and both with be roughly free with my Steam wallet funds from my CSGO/card hustle this week.

Well it's a bit if a tricky one as they've both got things I like about them both. Though I'm not quite done with Child of Light and I bailed on Killer is Dead due to the tearing doing my nut in here's a brief overview of both.

Child of Light

Well without a doubt the game looks stunning, really good use of the UbiArt engine with some nice parallax effects as the different levels of the background slide over each other creating a distinct look to the environments. The battle system is just the right mix of action and tactics (I've heard it compared directly to Grandia).

Battles play out across a unified time gauge which is separated in to 2 areas, turn time and cast time. Different attacks and spells have different casting speeds so while you might get to the cast bar quicker than your enemies they might use an action of spell that casts quicker than you. Luckily there's a member of your party that you control with the right stick that acts as support to the 2 characters in your battle line up. You can slow down enemies, heal and regenerate MP for you characters as well and helps mix things up.

One point a few people in the OT brought up that they didn't like the quirk used to tell the story. All the dialogue lines are derived in a rhyming style so might be an acquired taste as some do feel a bit forced but I'm sure you've read worse here on GAF :p

Killer is Dead

Now this is a bit tricky as all GHM games tend to be an acquired taste. While you're not going to find much depth in the mechanics compared to a Devil May Cry or Metal Gear Rising it's very close to the combat in No More Heroes. You have some basic one button sword combos as well as a dodge mechanic that with correct timing slows down your opponent, a perfect block which grants an auto counter mechanic and specific QTE finishers. You also have a sub weapon which is Mondo's robotic arm, the Musselback. This starts off as a gun type weapon that is good for situational encounters and headshot kills and a similar burst style mechanic but as you play through the game you unlock the much talked about Gigolo missions which are kind of pervy peekaboo mini games with "Mondo's Girls" where the reward for not getting caught staring is a new weapon. There's no new guns but variations and things like a drill arm. There's also upgrade paths to all of these mechanics as well from the items your collected in the levels.

Really though what drew me to the game was the whacky story and visuals associated with Grasshopper games. The story plays out through cutscenes (which are now replayable in the PC version) and does drop you in the game and at first is a bit ambiguous as to who these people are and how you got here. This though does reflect on the main character Mondo Zappa as he doesn't remember his origin either but this slowly unfolds with the story. The game starts proper with him receiving a letter that he has been accepted in to the government sanctioned assassins bureau. You also have a sidekick, a girl named Mika who's... a bit whacky. Anyway you both get to meet your bosses and they task you on contracts to help out your clients needs.

I would say more as it's quite unique in a way only Suda 51 can do but it's best experienced for yourself first hand to do it any justice.

One thing to bear in mind seeing as you do quite well with Family Sharing is that Child of Light being Uplay enabled is exempt while Killer is Dead is part of the programme.

AHA-Lambda

Woah hold on a minute, I heard from this very thread that simplycdkeys was a legit seller, and that was why I got dark souls 2 from them.

As I also got from them, I'll need to double check my copy when I get home from work now.

Tizoc

Anyone who has played Child of Light and Killer is Dead want to weigh in on which would be a better buy? My interest levels are about the same for bother and both with be roughly free with my Steam wallet funds from my CSGO/card hustle this week.

Dr Dogg's post is a good summation, but personally I'd recommend getting both if possible.
KiD could be a little cheap if you do Key Trading.

JaseC

Ah you are probably right about the duplicate in which case my rage at Valve is misplaced!

Glad I paid with PayPal.

I'd try bugging SCDK for a replacement before initiating the refund process with PayPal. Considering it's an off-shoot of Simply Games I assume you'll get a new key with minimal fuss.

Woah hold on a minute, I heard in this very thread that simplycdkeys was a legit seller.

I also got my copy of dark souls 2 from them so I'll need to double check my copy when I get home from work now.

SCDK is legit insofar that it's the sister site of an actual UK retailer. It's not legit insofar that the site is an authorised retailer in the vein of GamersGate or GMG.

just noticed Cart Life is gone from steam while doing some wishlist cleaning, what happened?

The dev decided that he could no longer devote time to updating the game and so it was made freely available as open-source.

AHA-Lambda

SCDK is legit insofar that it's the sister site of an actual UK retailer. It's not legit insofar that the site is an authorised retailer in the vein of GamersGate or GMG.

The dev decided that he could no longer devote time to updating the game and so it was made free via open-source.

Ah shit, I better check my copy of it then just to be safe - haven't played it in about a week.

As for cart life, that's a shame; I liked that game.

JaseC

but...but... my +1 :(

Yeah, soon after it was yanked some GAFer took to Twitter to beg for a Steam key, but his request was ignored. You snooze, you lose. ;)

Edit: The dev's Twitter account no longer exists and all contact details have been removed from his site. I suppose he got sick of being badgered.

Rhaknar

Yeah, soon after it was yanked some GAFer took to Twitter to beg for a Steam key, but his request was ignored. You snooze, you lose. ;)

yes..."some" gaffer...

the old "my friend has this weird rash" method

:p

I'd try bugging SCDK for a replacement before initiating the refund process with PayPal. Considering it's an off-shoot of Simply Games I assume you'll get a new key with minimal fuss.

The dev decided that he could no longer devote time to updating the game and so it was made freely available as open-source.

Yeah that was my first thought but it's suddenly showing as out of stock on their site so I think they are at fault with this.

Sorry Valve.

aku:jiki

I misspoke. Sue me.
Hey, I wasn't trying to be a grammar nazi, I just find it disappointing and troubling that so many PC gamers just accept this bullshit as gospel. You're not the only one to use that word in regards to this, and my question is open to everyone; exactly what law are we talking about here? What right do they have to do this shit? It just doesn't sit right with me that the PC community has accepted it so much as fact that the word we're talking about is thrown out like it's a given.

I'm going to be a grammar nazi here, though:

"Consumer" and "customer" are not direct synonyms, bro. He is absolutely a consumer regardless of where his patronage takes place. Hence, he can certainly say that practices like these are "anti-consumer."

Dr Dogg

I see it like this, if you buy a game from any key seller not listed in the OT here you're taking a gamble. The ones listed in the OT are trusted for a reason as they deal direct with publishers and Valve. Sure you might have been fine with some sites you've used for years and after many purchases but the ones listed are the official Steam key sellers.

JaseC

yes..."some" gaffer...

the old "my friend has this weird rash" method

:p

Haha, rest assured I bought it the moment it went on sale. ;)

12 Jul 2013 $60.47 Purchase
Hotline Miami Sountrack, Borderlands 2: Commando Madness Pack, Borderlands 2: Commando Supremacy Pack, Borderlands 2: Commando Domination Pack, Borderlands 2: Siren Madness Pack, Borderlands 2: Siren Supremacy Pack, Borderlands 2: Siren Domination Pack, Borderlands 2: Gunzerker Madness Pack, Borderlands 2: Gunzerker Supremacy Pack, Borderlands 2: Gunzerker Domination Pack, Borderlands 2: Mechromancer Madness Pack, Borderlands 2: Mechromancer Supremacy Pack, Borderlands 2: Mechromancer Domination Pack, Borderlands 2: Assassin Madness Pack, Borderlands 2: Assassin Supremacy Pack, Borderlands 2: Assassin Domination Pack, Cart Life, Defiance Deluxe Edition, Don't Starve Soundtrack, Borderlands 2 Psycho Pack, Borderlands 2 Mechromancer Steampunk Slayer Pack, Borderlands 2 Gunzerker Dapper Gent Pack, Borderlands 2 Psycho Dark Psyche Pack, Borderlands 2 Psycho Madness Pack, Borderlands 2 Psycho Supremacy Pack, Borderlands 2 Psycho Domination Pack, Borderlands 2 Siren Glitter and Gore Pack, Borderlands 2 Commando Haggard Hunter Pack, Borderlands 2 Assassin Stinging Blade Pack, Toki Tori 2+

Woah hold on a minute, I heard from this very thread that simplycdkeys was a legit seller, and that was why I got dark souls 2 from them.

As I also got from them, I'll need to double check my copy when I get home from work now.

Just open Steam and you will know instantly as a message pops up that you have to confirm you have read, you don't have to start the game.

JaseC

Hey, I wasn't trying to be a grammar nazi, I just find it disappointing and troubling that so many PC gamers just accept this bullshit as gospel. You're not the only one to use that word in regards to this, and my question is open to everyone; exactly what law are we talking about here? What right do they have to do this shit? It just doesn't sit right with me that the PC community has accepted it so much as fact that the word we're talking about is thrown out like it's a given.

Are you talking about Valve being able to revoke keys? Retail key resellers have the retail copy of the game and the retail proof of purchase. Valve's absolutely "within its right" to revoke keys when the person with the most relevant proof cries foul. You could make the argument that common sense should kick in if the secondary party has a transaction receipt pertaining to the original owner, but even disregarding the second-hand sale element, I strongly doubt that SCDK files its disputes with a support account titled "SimplyCDKeys" -- to reduce the risk of such tickets coming back to bite I can almost guarantee you that the reseller plays dumb (i.e. "I bought a game and the key isn't working! Here's all the necessary proof"). For all Valve knows perhaps the key you used was stolen and then sold on to you; it's in the reseller's interest to take advantage of it being in the stronger position.

Saty

graph1.jpg

graph2.jpg

Meanwhile, David Galindo is another developer worried about the future of Steam. He released Cook, Serve, Delicious on the platform late last year, and plans to release another unannounced title on Steam early next year -- plus, his game The Oil Blue was just greenlit.

"Given my next game won't make it out till early next year on Steam, there's a real concern with what the market is going to look like by then," he tells me. "Just this last October, I was timing the release of my game Cook, Serve, Delicious to get maximum exposure on the New Releases section of the front page of Steam, where it stayed for several days."

"That kind of exposure is gone," he continues. "Not only are there a mass of games released every day to push your own game off the front page, but the section tabs on Steam default to Top Sellers instead of New Releases, something that I can understand, but goes to show the kind of problems Steam is facing right now."

But now, he adds, although he's happy that Valve is giving indies so many chances, the problem has swung in the other direction.

"I feel that getting rid of Greenlight entirely is a big mistake, dependent on how they handle opening the Steam platform to devs," the dev says. "If, say, developers can use a 'Steam widget' to sell their game on their website, but have to go through an approval process for getting onto the Steam Marketplace, then that could be a very good move, much like how Humble has separated their Bundles, Store and Widget offerings."

Valve boss Gabe Newell has hinted at one unique way to curate Steam games, by essentially crowdsourcing curation -- that is, allowing Steam users (and developers) to create their own web-based storefronts that people can buy games through. That system has yet to launch.

But what if Valve decides to simply open the floodgates and allow everyone game developer on board, even if there is some kind of attempt at a form of curation?

"That would be a very dark time for everyone involved," Galindo answers. "I can't think of a single person that would benefit, aside from the first time game dev that thinks their first Unity game is ready to sell after a few weeks of hard work. There has got to be some kind of curation process, on not only Steam but consoles as well, and I feel like that curation is slipping further and further with each new Greenlight approval batch."

More: http://gamasutra.com/view/news/2175...team_releases_will_affect_game_developers.php

AHA-Lambda

Just open Steam and you will know instantly as a message pops up that you have to confirm you have read, you don't have to start the game.

Just checked the store page on the steam mobile app and it says I own it, so I guess it's ok here. Thanks. Here's hoping nothing bad happens later on down the line.

Sorry to hear about your troubles though. Makes me very wary to order from them again.

Echoplx

I'm going to be a grammar nazi here, though:

There's not going to be one blanket law that applies to every region but there was this in Germany recently.

http://www.osborneclarke.com/connec...ions/german-court-rules-key-selling-violates/

Dr Dogg

People keep using this word, but what actual law are we talking about here?

One thing to bear in mind sometimes the words 'illegal' and 'unlawful' get muddled up. For example in the UK you have a massive amount of consumer rights that are written in law such as the Sale of Goods Act and Distance Selling Regulations that requires providers to adhere to set standards when supplying their customers. A lot of things written in EULAs actually breaks these two items of legislation. Member states of the EU also have other layers of legislative protection as well.

Just checked the store page on the steam mobile app and it says I own it, so I guess it's ok here. Thanks. Here's hoping nothing bad happens later on down the line.

Sorry to hear about your troubles though. Makes me very wary to order from them again.

Yeah you should be fine then. Mine says 19 hours played next to the purchase button which is an extra kick in the nuts!

Cheers. I've sent them a FB message so hopefully they sort it today otherwise I'll avoid them in future.

I'd always assumed they were an official seller just due to their sizes and retail side but you live and learn I suppose.

Whatever happens I'll get another key from somewhere (official) and update as to whether the saves are safe or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom