• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November II 2014 - Autumn Sale starts the 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.
eh, i really don't give a damn about that, the story's and the performances are great and ridiculous in a way i enjoy, having faces would add up but not playing mgs1 over such a silly thing is dumb

I didn't grow up with the game (I just never played it when it came out) and that's why it's hard for me to appreciate it for what it is, a product of its time. All I see is bad graphics and clunky controls and I don't necessarily want to deal with that. Early 3D is just harder to stomach for me and there's nothing silly about that. I bet there are enough people that can't or don't want to play FF7 for the same reason, even though it wouldn't be a problem for me at all, since I've played it a lot around the time it came out. Like I said, nostalgia goggles.

e: Just to be clear, I've played MGS 2-4 and enjoyed them all in their own ways. So it's really not a lack of interest in the series.

Maniac

Banned
Depth -- MB-F6CEBB5DEBCA8DC7 - Taken by Maniac. 19 entrants total.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Wow, Hellraid looks awesome.
Yup, after they rebooted the project it's shaping up to be really interesting and great. Some of the creature designs are literally incredible.
keep beating that dead horse into the fucking ground lash, it gets funnier each time, really.
Exactly. It does get funnier each time.
If you're member of OC's forums both Simon from TFT Central and Adam from pcmonitors.info post there quite often in the monitors subforum. Also Mark from Blur Busters can be found on GAF occasionally.
I love Mark.

And damnit, I'm still looking for a new monitor aswell. I was really interested in the ROG Swift since it does very well for a TN panel, but it's still a TN panel and it costs 12, 1300-ish dollars (or there abouts in my currency), and there's no way I'm spending that on a TN... Ever. The MSRP of 800-ish bucks? That, I'd do. Sigh. I just want a high refresh rate, a good resolution at a nice pixel density without god damned latency! Also Gsync and ULMB / Lightboost would be a plus. Too bad manufacturers don't make PC monitors in the panels we want and need. Lazy assholes. :'[

Anyway, I'll see if I can finally settle on something with the info you put in an earlier post... But I may just wait a sodding year and see if the manufacturers get their fingers out their butts, stop sucking on their thumb and get to damn work!

Bayonetta fan service seems like a couple of cheap character and weapon skins, and MGS4 is no crazier than any of the other MGS games and I thought the story and writing did the best it could wrapping up all the lose ends in the Solid Snake era character arc, and in terms of visuals, I still find it to be one of the best looking games on PS3, the framerate is spotty sure, but the amount of detail in the world, characters, weapons, and animations is hard to beat.
Bayonetta's implementation of fanservice is tacky, but in the grand scheme of things it's harmless since they're merely optional nods with no relation to the overall storyline. Compare that to how the pieces of "fanservice" infest MGS4 in cutscenes and whatnot to the point it damn near ruins certain characters retroactively or are just thrown in there for the sake of having an answer, no matter how dumb it may sound. MGS1 and 3 was the right kind of absurdity without taking itself too seriously for me, despite their own respective pitfalls.

All mainline MGS games are indeed over-the-top, but none of them are as cringeworthy as 4 which has some dude with a pet monkey in a diaper drinking beer / soda, or bosses being killing machines you're supposed to sympathize with whilst they're wearing skintight spandex. On top of giving you an opportunity to trigger some perverted model shoot with J-pop booming in the background in this super serious magnum opus. And then Drebin feels the need to interrupt you upon their defeat just how ever so tragic they were. Just awful. Also Ocelot being
taken over by an arm and apparently having been a good guy all along
, banana machines being the end-all excuse, forced tearjerkers (
Dr. Naomi and Sunny
for example), having to witness the marriage of
some dude who can't control his bowels
, et cetera.

Kojima couldn't even wrap up Snake's arc properly, so yeah. We'll have to disagree here.

Tizoc

Gran Pulse is much, much better. The boring this is, to do optional mission you need to find the proper stone before, and you have no clue on what stones will activate after you beat a mission. So I'm using a map like a crazy, to reduce backtracking to minimum. Still, there's a lot of "go here, kill that thing, go back".

That's pretty much 99% of the sidequests in Gran Pulse. At the very least it lets you explore areas that are not necessary to the main plot.

Volimar

So, playing Valkyria Chronicles, and I'm at the mission where
you have to slow down the massive tank. I can knock out its guns and even get my people on it to shoot the coolant blocks, but they don't seem to do any damage. Do I need to use my lancers up there? Any pointers for that mission would be helpful

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

BAD HOTEL -- MB-A391CA4B4F83B886
Epigenesis -- MB-F729CCF866D7A096

Arthea

Another question: are there Ultimate weapons and optional summons/bosses (excluding ones present in hunt missions)?

that's a tricky question, or rather an answer.
All "ultimate weapons" have flaws, flaws are so severe, that you don't want those weapons, so you go for the next best thing
, that's what I did. Also you get all ultimate gear by upgrading, there is no other way, I think.

edited: optional bosses are hunts, there are no optional summons.

edit2: getting ultimate gear is really painful, you need to do a lot of work for that, so unless you are going for 100%, don't bother.

Some people are just monsters.

Chariot

you have to slow down the massive tank. I can knock out its guns and even get my people on it to shoot the coolant blocks, but they don't seem to do any damage. Do I need to use my lancers up there? Any pointers for that mission would be helpful
There comes a time where the radiators come out and can be damaged. Should be happen one round after the tank destroys the first camp. If not then the round after the round.

Arthea

:S Disappointing.
Also I haven't upgraded a single weapon yet, I'm using default one, selecting Optimize from the main menu. I read there's an achievement to have all equipment in-game, so I don't want to do mistakes (yes, I try to grab all achievements for FF games, I like doing those here, excluding while "kill 10000000 enemies" like in FF8 lol).

keep in mind that to 100% FF13, if lucky, you still need more than 100 hours spent in it, if unlucky, it can get closer to 200 (><)
Ya, you need rare drops to 100% FF13 and a lot of those

edited: forgot to say, that you can upgrade, no worries, as far as I can remember you only need to hold item once, for that achievement.

Uzzy

Grenades. Have someone run up to the tank, get up the ladder, and throw a grenade into the coolant block.

Volimar

^will give it a shot, thanks.
But won't that hurt my guys too?

There comes a time where the radiators come out and can be damaged. Should be happen one round after the tank destroys the first camp. If not then the round after the round.

Yeah I know, but for some reason my guys can't damage them even then. Maybe it's bugged.

Chariot

Yeah I know, but for some reason my guys can't damage them even then. Maybe it's bugged.
Guns aren't effective, yeah. Use lancers, or like Uzzy suggested throw grenades into them, which kilsl them instantly. Since you can only destroy one until the next shot of the tank, a Scout will do.

Man, Even though I played part of the 360 version, played half way through the PS3 version and am now about 75% through the PS4 version, I can't wait for the PC version of GTA V. I haven't had this much fun with a GTA game since Vice City

Anteater

Man, Even though I played part of the 360 version, played half way through the PS3 version and am now about 75% through the PS4 version, I can't wait for the PC version of GTA V. I haven't had this much fun with a GTA game since Vice City

That's good to hear, I liked vice city, it's been so long tho that I don't remember what made me like that game more than the others, but it's one of the gta games I've actually beaten.

I hope it runs good on my pc, game seems pretty demanding on consoles.

so today is my birthday , to celebrate it take some games that i like ;)
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (salazar547, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Rogue Legacy -- MB-DD17131D293576A6 - Taken by Catshade. 23 entrants total.
Final Exam -- MB-D7206C6068F36AB3 - Taken by darkchewie. 14 entrants total.
Skullgirls -- MB-89A59831327D81F1 - Taken by Knurek. 24 entrants total.

t1416844388z1.png

Zafir

How can I obtain them? I'm playing on Normal, if this count, and I try to five stars each mission, if I can (until now I did 10 mission with 5 stars, since you can repeat them).
I suppose is all luck based :\
I think I won't do this achievement, anyway, I hate farming items :S
That adamanthart on FF8 killed my joy (that, and doing Ultima Weapon on Kingdom Hearts 1).

Basically you need to farm the Adamantortoises for Trapezohedrons(think those are the fight names). I personally did it in chapter 12, there's one right next to a save point. Kill it, see if it drops, reload if it doesn't.

It takes forever. I had 103hours on my PS3 save after platting XIII.

C4rter

Somehow I can't pay with my blue coins at Gamersgate. It says "Could not find shopping cart data" in the checkout when I use the Coins as payment method.

Edit: Worked with a trick. Checked Billsave but canceled on their end and than I could change Payment Method to Bluecoins and the Error was gone.

Tizoc

Another question: are there Ultimate weapons and optional summons/bosses (excluding ones present in hunt missions)?

There are no optional summons, buuuuuuuuuuuut there are a few optional bosses. The strongest enemies in the game is a stronger version of BIGGER turtles than the ones you see in Gran Pulse :p
Yes there are bigger turtles. Yes there are stronger versions of the bigger turtles, but they show up after completing various Cie'th missions.

Ultimate Weapons are available but are tricky to get, but give this a read
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=132880922&postcount=616

I'd advise the pub/devs to re-release the game in its now more polished state. Idk, maybe X Rebirth Phoenix or something and give it to the original owners of Rebirth for free! That's very important as a show of goodwill and apology. That way the "newer" release would have better and fairer reviews and newcomers wouldn't be opposed to it unfairly. Just a thought.

Renaming or re-releasing games to bypass old review/Metacritic scores is frowned upon. I seem to remember some dinosaur(?) game tried it once and it didn't go down too well for them.

Personally I think having this strongly negative review score is fair. They released a broken and incomplete game and burned their most loyal customers. There need to be consequences for doing shit like that. Besides, Steam reviews can be modified later if a player chooses to, so it's not set in stone like Metacritic scores for example.

They really need to fire their designer. Everything they do are similar to Humble pages

It would be unfair to fire the Indiegala design guy as long as the Indieroyale one still has a job.

Dr Dogg

GTAV will become the first GTA that I play seriously.

I don't think I've played any GTA seriously. It's not like it's a real life simulator or anything. Dive in, finish the story, get fed up with the collectables and side stuff for 100% and just go round causing havoc. Rinse and repeat for 6 entries and a whole host of side and hand held/mobile games.

so today is my birthday , to celebrate it take some games that i like ;)

Happy B'day! And who doesn't love Rogue Legacy ;)

The_Monk

Morning my good people! Phew, it's been a while since I've checked things, and my first time posting in our new "home". I have no idea how many threads already been here, I've been on GAF some minutes each day but I lacked the time to make a proper post in a while. Things are okay, but could be better...but hey, no time for sad things, only positive thoughts! :)

How are you my great GAFfers doing? Thanks to the thread title I now know there's a sale coming, so thanks for that! I also saw that Valkyria Chronicles did well on PC which is great, hope the game is running well on PC. I also caught a thread for Steam-news only and that is good for people who have not been able to catch most of the recent things.

As always, feel free to PM or chat me on Steam when I can't be around if you ever need anything and I promise to answer as soon as possible. Also, thank you for those who remembered me in these last days. Here's a couple of strong, black espresso coffee for those starting the week:

F8O3VAY.gif

Deques

As always, feel free to PM or chat me on Steam when I can't be around if you ever need anything and I promise to answer as soon as possible. Also, thank you for those who remembered me in these last days. Here's a couple of strong, black espresso coffee for those starting the week:

[IMGhttp://i.imgur.com/F8O3VAY.gif[/IMG]

Just added ya :)

I said that to every GTA since Vice City. Still haven't finished one.
You can't "finish"a sandbox game.

I don't think I've played any GTA seriously. It's not like it's a real life simulator or anything. Dive in, finish the story, get fed up with the collectables and side stuff for 100% and just go round causing havoc. Rinse and repeat for 6 entries and a whole host of side and hand held/mobile games.
I played some of them on my friends' PSPs, but mostly just free roam and killing people. I have them now on steam, but didn't touch any of them.

Dr Dogg

I played some of them on my friends' PSPs, but mostly just free roam and killing people. I have them now on steam, but didn't touch any of them.

I definitely put a lot more time and effort into Red Dead Redemption than any GTA but that felt a lot more focused and the side attraction stuff happen organically as the game progressed. By the time I had got to the last couple of missions I was only a few hunting and herbalist challenges and Stranger encounters to go for 100%. I tossed GTA IV to the side with about 55% to go. I can't recall what I finished V at but after finishing the last story mission I tried to play the Online part and that was fucked at the time and haven't looked at it again since.

Nzyme32

Morning my good people! Phew, it's been a while since I've checked things, and my first time posting in our new "home". I have no idea how many threads already been here, I've been on GAF some minutes each day but I lacked the time to make a proper post in a while. Things are okay, but could be better...but hey, no time for sad things, only positive thoughts! :)

How are you my great GAFfers doing? Thanks to the thread title I now know there's a sale coming, so thanks for that! I also saw that Valkyria Chronicles did well on PC which is great, hope the game is running well on PC. I also caught a thread for Steam-news only and that is good for people who have not been able to catch most of the recent things.

F8O3VAY.gif

Good to hear from you monk. I gotta learn to be as positive in times of hardship. Hope alls well or at least gets well soon by the sounds of things. Sales madness and holidays will be good for a recharge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom