• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November II 2014 - Autumn Sale starts the 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own many games on consoles I haven't played yet, and my greatest fear is that I won't be able to resist re-buying them on Steam during these sales. I really should spend more time working through that backlog.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I don't post much, but I had an idea for the steam community on Neogaf. I know that many of us have more games than we know what to do with...(hoping to break through the 750 mark by the end of the Winter sale!)

To cut to the chase, I wondered if there has ever been a Neogaf Steam Secret Santa? I know there is a Secret Santa in general for Neogaf, but I was thinking more a digital or Steam only Secret Santa, without there having to be anything mailed or worrying about shipping time. I know with wish lists and even the Autumn sale coming up tomorrow it would be a good idea to at least suggest this being doable,and the sale starting would give a good general idea of what prices will be even for the Winter Sale, I thought a small scale secret santa would be a fun idea, and not just everyone using the mystery game giveaway with modbot to give Bad Rats back and forth.

Basically a thread is made, people sign up, a deadline is given to sign up of course as well so it doesn't go insanely out of control, maybe by the end of the Autumn Sale, and after people could look through wishlists and by the very last day of the Winter Sale give their gifts to one another. That way they could maximize sale prices, and even well bypass the 30 day trade restriction if they bought something during the Autumn Sale.

I know that Modbot is still going to be going strong, and maybe this idea is a silly one or even it is something that is already done, I don't know. I just was feeling festive and thought it would be something interesting to suggest.

That sounds like a fun idea. The only issue is Steam related initiatives have a habit of failing when conducted outside the main thread; I would assume this trend will increase moreso now that we are in the moribund community section.

___

The collecting urge increases with your game count. Be careful :p.

nah, it's then fivedollar it, as it has to be (><)
to fivedollar something is a word, don't you know?!
It's not about proper grammar is about proper meaning!

Five dollars*

This looks fantastic! I love the artstyle, hope it'll be written just as well.

It was supposed to be a bear, but somehow the eyes got lost..

If you haven't already figured it out yourself: I think this FAQ will answer all your questions.

I think you get more exp if you pick them up. Not sure though.

It's already 7am ;p

Thank you!

That sounds like a fun idea. The only issue is Steam related initiatives have a habit of failing when conducted outside the main thread; I would assume this trend will increase more so now that we are in the moribund community section.

___

The collecting urge increases with your game count. Be careful :p.

I thought as much as well, thus I posted it in this thread first. Felt better to suggest it here as I think it it's "safer" here to do so as well and keep it managed. I just didn't want to hijack a thread.

The collecting urge has already long since been a part of my life, I think after getting close to 5000 games spread across every gaming console since the Atari 2600, and now living in Tokyo, where I have to forbid myself from visiting certain districts of the city too often in order to keep my wallet safe.

Arthea

I will $5 the steam sale
probably not

lemme give you some perspective. $5 is price of a small pizza margherita here, not minipizza, but small enough to feel you haven't eaten all that much (minus price of delivery of course), and it's not $5, it's 4€, but that's besides the point. So, if you wish only to $5 a game, it means a game is barely worth skipping a meal that's not that much of a meal, but still.
OK, I'll stop here (><)

Five dollars*

you are hopeless!
you can make your own version, also the verb can't be plural, but you feel free to ignore that too (><)

The-Bean

Are cutscenes in Sleeping Dogs (not definitive) pre-rendered or something? I'm getting 60FPS constantly but at times the cutscenes look like they drop to 30.

Sini

Eh
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (SinineSiil, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

xheRJRF.gif
Gish -- MB-97BAD496FE025056 - Taken by TheMadMan007
I don't think it's worthy of poop icon. Its controls were bad, but everything else was okay.

I own many games on consoles I haven't played yet, and my greatest fear is that I won't be able to resist re-buying them on Steam during these sales. I really should spend more time working through that backlog.

If you get them for cheap it's worth buying them for the visual/performance upgrade.
Besides, you can sell them, that's what I've been doing with console games that were ported to PC. For example, I sold FXIII and XIII-2 for more than what they cost on PC.

Chariot

lemme give you some perspective. $5 is price of a small pizza margherita here, not minipizza, but small enough to feel you haven't eaten all that much (minus price of delivery of course), and it's not $5, it's 4€, but that's besides the point. So, if you wish only to $5 a game, it means a game is barely worth skipping a meal that's not that much of a meal, but still.
OK, I'll stop here (><)
People should calculate prices in workhours. Like "man, that game is half an hour work" or "Shit, did I just worked a whole day only for this game?".

Knurek

People should calculate prices in workhours. Like "man, that game is half an hour work" or "Shit, did I just worked a whole day only for this game?".

You would get some interesting results here in Central Europe (extremely low wages, prices for games higher than in UK)...
I'm making less than 4€ per hour ;_;

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Toki767, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Toki767, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

$20 Steam Wallet -- MB-9BFACE163484D237 - Taken by The Red Wizard. 100 entrants total.

t1417049380z1.png

FloatOn

I hope south park is on sale the very first day. Pls valve, do at least 1 thing right :(

yes! exactly.

I want to buy south park for around 15 bucks. I heard it's short so I just can't justify spending $40 on around 10 hours of content despite how much I love the source material and that paper mario combat.

I just read the entire ModBot guide. Awesome stuff.

ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Monaco -- MB-80661201A1DA52B1 - Taken by iosefe

t1417007082z1.png

Arthea

I try not to do that, because I would end up with some pitiful hundreds of games instead of thousands!
what only means I'm paid way too little (._.)

Lol, I got lucky and vanille insta-killed a big Ochu boss with Death :D
Anyway, those hunt missions are not too hard if you use a guide to know how act before the fight will start.

the hell? how is it even possible to be this lucky?

Dr Dogg

yes! exactly.

I want to buy south park for around 15 bucks. I heard it's short so I just can't justify spending $40 on around 10 hours of content despite how much I love the source material and that paper mario combat.

Well if this is anything to go by...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ICSSO78/

I wouldn't say short as it took me about 18-20 hours to finish up and I've still got some side quests to do. Great game though nonetheless.

If you get them for cheap it's worth buying them for the visual/performance upgrade.
Besides, you can sell them, that's what I've been doing with console games that were ported to PC. For example, I sold FXIII and XIII-2 for more than what they cost on PC.

That's a good idea, but I kinda like collecting them. Not sure I could ever sell any of my games. I'm the same way with movies. I hope I'm not a hoarder.

ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (nightstorm, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Hammerwatch -- MB-55EDF06D0276541C - Taken by ArynCrinn

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 4 Steam keys and 4 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

vRvbDCu.png
Mirror's Edge Origin -- MB-9F0C1E71421A476F
vRvbDCu.png
Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 Uprising (Origin) -- MB-DD5A67ED59E4EEDF - Taken by Valkrai
Metro 2033 -- MB-BA027F5650F7EECA - Taken by Vlad
Metro 2033 #2 -- MB-95F5EA6AB4839111 - Taken by TheMadMan007
vRvbDCu.png
Burnout Paradise The Ultimate Box (Origin) -- MB-263120E7B10D1F4F - Taken by ModBot
vRvbDCu.png
Dead Space (Origin) -- MB-D6C666410A4871A2
Half Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy -- MB-5131F4637534BE56 - Taken by nightstorm

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Mirror's Edge Origin was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 Uprising (Origin) was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Metro 2033 was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Error: The key you tried to add for Risk of Rain failed because it was already in ModBot from another user. If you wish to re-gift a key, please read the help thread under 'I accidentally took a key I didn't want' and follow those instructions before re-adding.
Note: The key you added for Metro 2033 #2 was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Burnout Paradise The Ultimate Box (Origin) was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Dead Space (Origin) was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

That's a good idea, but I kinda like collecting them. Not sure I could ever sell any of my games. I'm the same way with movies. I hope I'm not a hoarder.

I can understand that, but do you really need 2 versions of the same game? Are you going to replay the PS3 versions when you have the option of playing them on PC with higher res and fps? If not, why keep them?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I can't be only one that wishes voxel games never became a thing, can I?

Eh. I don't play any voxel games but I don't care that they exist. I'm not forced to play them and some people enjoy them. I hear that Minecraft game is very popular, plus there's that survival based one, 7 Days to Die that does something different with voxels.

Hope there's no insanely good sale tomorrow (sale starts at 3am here?). I have to memorize two whole parts of the DSM V for an exam.
````````````````````````````````````````
Quick question: I have a few complete card packs waiting to be crafted, should I wait for the winter seal to craft them. Not really in touch with the Steam card shenanigans.

Hope there's no insanely good sale tomorrow (sale starts at 3am here?). I have to memorize two whole parts of the DSM V for an exam.
Quick question: I have a few complete card packs waiting to be crafted, should I wait for the winter seal to craft them. Not really in touch with the Steam card shenanigans.

unless things change, only the summer and winter seal have meta games, just wait a few more weeks.

Turfster

Nobody reads my posts confirmed!
Guess I'll do it myself =p

t1417024800z4.png

Amazon is having a Squenix sale, 50-75% off the usual suspects
Gamersgate updated their Thanksgiving sale dailies, always check DRM before buying (no, TWD2 isn't Steam)

Steam keys for Ilamentia now up for IR Debut 21 through Desura

wetflame

Pizza Dog
It seems like most of the sales in the Autumn sale will be repeated in the Winter sale, so you won't miss much by ignoring this one.

If you've got cards to craft, wait until the Winter sale, the last few Winter/Summer sales have had metagames where you get special cards etc for crafting badges during the sale and it's likely this will happen again.

Arthea

Ya, winter sale most likely will have some metagame, hopefully badgecrafting related, while autumn sale won't have it. You want to wait a little more.

Haunted

I feel like a sprinter getting ready in his starting block.

Too bad I won't be here for the first couple hours it goes live.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Chairmanchuck:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Chairmanchuck, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Nights into Dreams -- MB-78F5358339D4A655 - Taken by Dragon1893
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed -- MB-0C1AB4BD4EF11CA0 - Taken by Kuroyume
Total War: ROME II - Caesar in Gaul (DLC) -- MB-95F43B3D6F15F5BA
Total War: ROME II - Caesar in Gaul (DLC) #2 -- MB-9427058F53AA98BE

Have fun.

My mouse is a bit wonky but thanks for the replies guys. Noted, I'll just let them stay in my inventory for a little while. Unless Valve makes a crazy idea of making the cards have a definite lifetime, to make the crafting of the cards more necessary than ever.

Gotta lie low for a few hours and study a little bit. I'll just adopt a "Good things come to those who wait" mentality to calm my excitement.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
My condolences. The DSM V is a giant turd.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I'm semi excited about the sale, but only in the sense of "oh I guess this is what I'll get in the Winter Sale" rather than for picking anything up specifically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom