• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October II 2014 - PC Gaming: Getting a D in Yoga class

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So, a feature designed almost entirely for Steamboxes.

Yep. I mean, it's better than nothing so I'll concede that it's something useful at least. But it's not what people think it is.

Yes I know that. I was talking about if it really was a system requirement check to which games your computer could run. I'm just saying it would help some people but it would still be very inaccurate.

Okay sorry - fair point. Anything like this that Valve implements will have to be completely independent of the developer / publisher specifications to be relevant, that's for sure.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
am/pm confuses me
AMPM-Logo.jpg

Nabs

Danny Day (Desktop Dungeons) on Steam curation one month in:

Our daily revenue doubled

graphSrc.png

Desktop Dungeons sales graph, the months pre- and post-curation.

What you’re looking at there is an otherwise reasonably flat and stable long tail from a game that’s nearly a year old. Desktop Dungeons was earning an average of $200 a day before, since the 23rd it’s been earning double that. And no, we haven’t run any promotions or had incredible new press that might explain the hike – traffic on our site hasn’t seen a similar rise, so this is all Steam.

Those sales are the result of increased visibility. Desktop Dungeons is being shown to more people on Steam than it was before. It’s also being shown to people that are more likely to be interested in the game. When Desktop Dungeons launched, 1,015,643 people saw it featured on the front page, 4,196 of them clicked on the image and ended up on the game’s individual page, we can calculate a click-through percentage from that at 0.41% - that’s actually not bad, a web advertising campaign with a rate like that would be good.

This last month Desktop Dungeons’ capsule graphics have been seen by 1,730,564 people resulting in 120,455 visits to the game’s page. That’s an astonishing 6.96% of viewers clicking through to read more about the game! It’s 17 times better than our launch interest, which is when games typically command the most attention. I don’t think I can really state how huge that difference is, and we didn’t have to do anything to get it.

Check out that article for more. It's a good read.

Spyware

I'll just try it... Hope it doesn't break anything :D

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Spyware, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Tower of Guns -- MB-51AA67A9C73A164C - Taken by Hemi-PoweredDrone. 4 entrants total.
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs -- MB-9AD656B7409BA963 - Taken by MillionStabs. 5 entrants total.
OlliOlli -- MB-F162C7371CDFA203 - Taken by -MD-. 8 entrants total.
Risk of Rain -- MB-9AE2996638150AC5 - Taken by dot. 1 entrants total.
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet -- MB-44A94D48CB1B6D3C - Taken by Spring-Loaded. 1 entrants total.
Risk of Rain #2 -- MB-1703BC725470E483 - Taken by L.O.R.D. 2 entrants total.
Risk of Rain #3 -- MB-D935BE1B98BAE5C3 - Taken by SSPssp. 1 entrants total.
Risk of Rain #4 -- MB-A9506442086099B6 - Taken by Ruruja. 1 entrants total.

t1414527660z1.png

ModBot said:
I am giving away 17 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:

- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Machinarium -- MB-1C09E8B42017619B - Taken by Baschta
Capsized -- MB-9AD5D2E09CF5E0BC - Taken by danhese007
Zen Bound 2 -- MB-3CF2120B69490623
Cogs -- MB-A0E51D6C1CF1B97B
Crayon Physics Deluxe -- MB-5613A09461193D77
English Country Tune -- MB-8EED9EE479D2C4CB - Taken by Asharakk
Oil Rush -- MB-A25B5947CF30E147
Swords & Soldiers HD -- MB-6B1541B57FD09EFB - Taken by Kagemusha
Eufloria -- MB-218A0FAF47278CBE - Taken by topyy
Medal of Honor -- MB-012A0618FCAFE1A7 - Taken by nja
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 Uprising -- MB-8E5F407D8783E6E5 - Taken by cardinalmind
Cortex Command -- MB-A21D8F620B15D9F0 - Taken by lindarasta
Killing Floor -- MB-D128082E1EAD2000 - Taken by crazyrabbits
Fractal -- MB-F83E5351BF54D91F
Nightsky -- MB-1E98C7D5619D9C3D - Taken by Benedict
Intrusion 2 -- MB-CE9584158803CFAC
Dwarfs!? -- MB-3AD9CD9992EC1944 - Taken by provista

The_Monk

Just saw The Detail on Steam and it seems a neat Point & Click adventure. It's been a while since I played on these and seems a nice game to play in the winter. Might keep an eye on after all the episodes are released!

Also, saw someone complaining about my review of XCOM: Enemy Unknown because it had no score but to be honest, I just post my little impressions when I write my reviews and I do not wish to put a score in the end. I prefer that someone to actually read them if they are truly interested instead of looking just at the score I gave to a game. Also, this is a review on Steam, it's far from a professional thing and I do it just for the people who like to read them. For those who read Steam reviews (not from the major websites) are these that important for you?

kulapik

Here they go, I made it a 15 minute raffle but it already expired, so, take away:

ModBot said:
Instructions for kulapik:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (kulapik, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Risk of Rain #1 -- MB-0334E4D53127A59C - Taken by Jørdan. 1 entrants total.
Risk of Rain #2 -- MB-4C85C31088F1B25F - Taken by sprinkles. 1 entrants total.
Risk of Rain #3 -- MB-EDD444A72C36C92F - Taken by Natty1. 1 entrants total.
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs -- MB-B312379BF47B939B - Taken by Kirosia. 2 entrants total.

t1414523899z1.png

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Sure you do.

It was $8 and included the Season Pass.

I didn't get it either.

Not gonna click on that.
But since quoting it shows it anyway, I'm an idiot.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Edit :Eh, whatever I shouldn't be ungratefull. Got a bunch of cool games today.

Aselith

Did anyone randomly get a game today? I got Hack n Slash and I have zero idea where it came from. It wasn't addressed to me from anyone.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
quoting myself from the Lords thread for those interested:

finally killed the first boss, no crash. I still dont have a patch even after restarting steam so /shrug. Some quick thoughts:

-Game looks gorgeous

-XP system is very interesting. I banked 1 point in spells for the clone spell, and then 1 point in atributes to get more stamina/equip load

-pre-order armor and weapons is mostly cosmetic, only 1 of the armor pieces had more armor than the default stuff (chest has 25 armor compared to default 24) and the sword has 1 more attack (20 vs 19), the rest seems about the same. No great advantage there which is cool. It sure looks pretier tho

-I actually had to use 2 potions in the first boss, mostly by fucking up (like taking his big arched blow which is very slow, but I still took it stupidly like 3 times).

-I love the impact of the game. Weapons feel powerful, blows feel strong, I like the hollow CLANK sound your shield makes when blocking

-I might restart as a Cleric (I know you can change atributes at will), Warrior seems way too slow

-Environments are a lot more claustrophobic and linear than the Souls games, but I already found some secrets by exploring even early on, so it is possible

more to come, might restart like I said, in fact, im now curious to see if the boss will crash again. If the game stops crashing, I can see myself loving it

Not gonna click on that.
But since quoting it shows it anyway, I'm an idiot.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

I'm so, so sorry.

Fantomena was kind enough to get a lot of people copies of the game at cost before they closed the loophole.

This is also the second such price error I've seen for Isolation (3 if we're counting the AMD $1 glitch). There was a price error on Amazon before that resulted in it costing $5 if you pre-ordered (and was only up for a couple hours).

Yep. I mean, it's better than nothing so I'll concede that it's something useful at least. But it's not what people think it is.

When are Valve going to understand that communicating through engineers and/or programmers is not the way to go? There needs to be a human layer between them and customers, so that communication is clear and they avoid misunderstandings. Someone who's close to the heat, but can communicate and filter out any potential misunderstanding. I know they like T-shaped people, aren't there any out there who are also good at PR, CM etc? :/

In case someone cant be arsed to go to the HB page

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (MillionStabs, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Teleglitch Die More Edition -- MB-F6F61CBAE9D92238 - Taken by HalfwayOrb

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
When are Valve going to understand that communicating through engineers and/or programmers is not the way to go? There needs to be a human layer between them and customers, so that communication is clear and they avoid misunderstandings. Someone who's close to the heat, but can communicate and filter out any potential misunderstanding. I know they like T-shaped people, aren't there any out there who are also good at PR, CM etc? :/

I worked with a guy a couple of years ago who had "the gift of gab" and could talk to anyone about anything and was always really engaging, straightforward, honest, and funny. Really personable guy. Before he started working in IT, he was a preacher. But he was surprisingly good at IT (working in the help desk) because people would call in a panic and he always knew exactly what to say to calm people down and get the issue resolved.

So despite what people may assume: engineers and programmers can in fact be good at public relations and customer service. I just don't think they've found the right person for the job yet.

topyy

ModBot said:
Instructions for topyy:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away an item. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Wasteland 1 The Original Classic -- MB-1F7FCE5BEEE800BA - Taken by ramoisdead. 5 entrants total.

t1414528500z1.png
steam key

Jørdan

I hate to say this (now that I've moved and my job hours have stabilized so I'm no longer "looking for work") but I really feel like I could implement a system like that if I worked at Valve. Among other things.

I absolutely know you could, for that matter I know you should. From a customers point of view Valve have done us all a disservice in limiting your potential. It's the features you have been implementing with ES and those you would if it were technically possible that we should be seeing on Steam by default for the most part. I think the guys are great and everything but I question their desire to genuinely make Steam better from an end-users point of view in areas that don't directly influence revenue.

The only thing different is that it'll show you games that are compatible with your operating system (Windows / OSX / Linux / SteamOS)

Is that Windows platform or by version? I'm thinking the former but even being able to filter by Win OS version would be a huge leap forward, showing XP compatible would make the store a much friendlier place to use.

rtcn63

I worked with a guy a couple of years ago who had "the gift of gab" and could talk to anyone about anything and was always really engaging, straightforward, honest, and funny. Really personable guy.

"I love to talk about nothing, it's the only thing I know anything about."

This is me from 20 onward. Problem? I have borderline speech impediments, and once people realize they enjoy talking to you, they expect you to talk a lot, as well as listen to them. Non. Stop. And most people are not interesting. They may do interesting things, but that often does not translate to actual conversation.

I play video games, listen to blondes, and irritate Rhaknar on twitch. That's my life. Also, periodic sobbing.

I wonder how many games I have left rotting out on random Bundle sites? I just went through my Indie Gala Account and there were 6 new keys I hadn't claimed. Here's one more spare:

ModBot said:

Lifeless Planet -- MB-8E98B568F5E10715 - Taken by koma

Clearing out my unredeemed Humble games, knock yourself out:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Harbinger of War, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.

Monaco: What's Mine Is Yours -- MB-D961F373B45E8FC2
Risk of Rain #1 -- MB-CAC37AAB10B1C0F5 - Taken by Tesseract
Risk of Rain #2 -- MB-3CBD36D0C82B1CD2 - Taken by redlacs
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet -- MB-AAFD7AEA15222349 - Taken by crimsonheadGCN
Legend of Grimrock -- MB-BAA51350ACCF5D27 - Taken by TheAutomator

theRizzle

Got some extra Risk of Rain keys from the newest Humble Bundle, and I already own Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet so I'm passing it on! ENJOY!

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (theRizzle, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.

Risk of Rain #1 -- MB-04087B1AE9AB6247 - Taken by TheLight. 1 entrants total.
Risk of Rain #2 -- MB-53412FAC065D01EA - Taken by Anustart. 2 entrants total.
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet -- MB-8340E6DAB957F185 - Taken by DocSeuss. 2 entrants total.

t1414528440z1.png

jshackles

Jørdan;136322776 said:
I absolutely know you could, for that matter I know you should. From a customers point of view Valve have done us all a disservice in limiting your potential. It's the features you have been implementing with ES and those you would if it were technically possible that we should be seeing on Steam by default for the most part. I think the guys are great and everything but I question their desire to genuinely make Steam better from an end-users point of view in areas that don't directly influence revenue.

Thanks man. I know that "Steam is a business, not your friend" is the typical response people have when someone suggests adding usability features, but I agree that it's very short sighted. I think sometimes Valve severely underestimates the value of small changes.

Jørdan;136322776 said:
Is that Windows platform or by version? I'm thinking the former but even being able to filter by Win OS version would be a huge leap forward, showing XP compatible would make the store a much friendlier place to use.

This only filters operating systems, not versions. There seems to be no distinction between XP / Vista / 7 / 8 / ME / whatever. If you're browsing on Windows, you'll see Windows games. They still may or may not work with your particular version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom