• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Steam Sale 2014] Indie-ana Games and the Temple of Hidden Gems

Vlad

alright what the hell, Sentinel bought ;) tx for the impressions...

I am already on the next game now though, Moonbase Commander, which also LOOKS great to me, nice and simple from the screens and you seemed to like it as well, though there's nearly NO info about it to be found on GAF elsewhere it seems... guess it IS an old game though. I am looking for something like this to play quick sessions of since i don't have much gaming time on my hands these days and this looks to fit the bill.

Yeah, that was me that recommended Moonbase Commander. I actually have it on CD around here somewhere, but I double-dipped on the sale in order to have it always available. Unfortunately, even when it came out it was one of those games that just kind of flew under the radar and nobody really got into. It got a few mentions here and there, and most people who get into it really like it, but it just never caught on. It's a really unique concept (base-building by having buidings launch other buildings), and the whole fact that your entire base is interconnected makes for lots of strategic variety.

So yeah, glad to see that I was able to get at least one person into the game after telling everyone I could about it for the past 10 years! Shoot me a line if you ever feel like playing some multiplayer.

KDR_11k

The sale is almost over. If you don't own Brothers A Tale of Two Sons by the end of this sale, then you cannot call yourself an Indie Gamer. This is the sort of game that the industry needs and everyone should play it and let the industry know that we want more games like it.

Very much up for arguing, I found the game rather dull and underwhelming.

Bit-Bit

Very much up for arguing, I found the game rather dull and underwhelming.

That's very unfortunate. Sorry YOU DON"T HAVE A SOUL.

Nah I'm just kidding. I suppose I can see how some people wouldn't like it. Its not action heavy and the puzzles are shallow.

Yeah, that was me that recommended Moonbase Commander. I actually have it on CD around here somewhere, but I double-dipped on the sale in order to have it always available. Unfortunately, even when it came out it was one of those games that just kind of flew under the radar and nobody really got into. It got a few mentions here and there, and most people who get into it really like it, but it just never caught on. It's a really unique concept (base-building by having buidings launch other buildings), and the whole fact that your entire base is interconnected makes for lots of strategic variety.

So yeah, glad to see that I was able to get at least one person into the game after telling everyone I could about it for the past 10 years! Shoot me a line if you ever feel like playing some multiplayer.

So the multi still works after all this time? I suppose there's no servers or anything, is it just over IP then or what?

Hey guys, I'm on lookout for a game which I don't know exists yet maybe.

When I asked in the steam thread I couldn't get any answers since it was moving so fast, so here I am re-asking.

I just saw Kinetic Void on Community Choice.
Concept is nice. Anyone have impressions?

Or better, what games would you recommend with:
- co-op
- story (even flimsy)
- creativity
- crafting

Actually what I wish for is a co-op one with all players in one big space ship trotting through space and different tasks; Gunner, Pilot, Engineer. Exploring space, fighting other ships.

Which game fits the bill most?

Now, I do know no traditional AAA game fits my criteria.
So I thought that since indie devs are constantly doing new stuff and mechanics, my chances of finding my game are higher here.

When I asked in the steam thread I couldn't get any answers since it was moving so fast, so here I am re-asking.

So I thought that since indie devs are constantly doing new stuff and mechanics, my chances of finding my game are higher here.

I'm not aware of any game that meet all of your criteria, maybe the new Elite or Star Citizen but I'm not sure if each player can be assigned to a specified task inside the ship. If you're looking into something more focused on crafting check Space Engineers.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Uuuuh, there is one that was mentioned in this thread, but its kinda hardcore. Cant remember the name :-x Maybe I'll remember later.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Space Station 13!
1377786916034.png
http://spacestation13.com/

What is it?

The game takes place on a fully destructable space station which is in orbit of a nearby gas giant.

The primary purpose of the station is to research a newly discovered material called Plasma. Unfortunately Nanotrasen, the megacorp which owns Space Station 13 is not the only corporation interested in this mysterious new substance. Dealing with the threats posed by the many enemies of Nanotrasen becomes an important part of the daily lives of the crew.

The game begins in the game lobby where you can customize your character and select which job you would like him to have. Jobs range from the captain, to the heads of staff, to engineers, medical doctors, scientists, security officers, atmospheric technicians, the chef, bartender as well as the occasional clown to lighten the mood.

What do you do?

When the round begins you spawn with a job title. Now it is up to you to play with that job, doing all sorts of tasks. Each job has endless replay value. The game has an incredibly large number of systems, subsystems, and mechanics for limitless amounts of fun.

While you spawned with your fancy job title, someone else spawned as something much more special. Each of the game modes, excluding Extended, has some sort of antagonist whose job it is to cause you problems. These antagonists usually have objectives which range from stealing a specific item to the assassination of a crew member or even the complete overthrowing of the ship. Different antagonist types have different ways of doing this.

- Traitors are the most common antagonist type. Usually several spawn on board the station. They spawn with a Syndicate uplink which they use to get special items and weapons to aid them in their goal.

- Revolution leaders are another antagonist type. They spawn with conversion flashes which they then use to convert crew members to their glorious cause so they can aid them in overthrowing and killing the Heads of Staff.

- Changelings have special powers. They can absorb the DNA of crew members and transform themselves to look and sound like them.

- Wizards can use magic spells to aid them in their quest.

- Cultists use their own blood to make runes and talismans, which give them special powers and abilities.

And the best part of this is that you, with your fancy job title, have absolutely no idea who the antagonists are - if any even exist.

Rounds usually last for an hour or so and they end when the escape shuttle gets called. Once it arrives it becomes your job to get on board the shuttle or an Escape pod and escape alive - if you even survived this long.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

Actually what I wish for is a co-op one with all players in one big space ship trotting through space and different tasks; Gunner, Pilot, Engineer. Exploring space, fighting other ships.

While it lacks crafting of any kind, there is Artemis: Spaceship Bridge Simulator.

You and several others using desktops/laptops/mobiles/tablets networked together each command a specific job to do, such as the pilot (Helm) or gunner (Weapon Control) and must work together to explore a space sector, conduct missions, or fight off enemies. Quite the game to get into if you and your friends can really get into the role playing and immersion of the idea.
Note this comes with the issue of the less people you have, the less fun it can be since you do not to have someone stationed on Communications for example to even accept missions.

The base game is somewhat lacking story wise, it's only barely there to give context, but users can and have been making their own scenarios to use that are more involved and helping to create a lore out of the universe or based off various franchises (last time I played at a friends I we had a scenario straight out of Old Man's War).

Vlad

So the multi still works after all this time? I suppose there's no servers or anything, is it just over IP then or what?

Yeah, it's a direct IP connection. From what I remember, you need to find a 3rd-party program called Moonbase Console that someone wrote. I used to have a copy of it around somewhere, although I'm sure it's still floating around somewhere online. I'll check some of the forums for the game later today.

Sulik2

I picked up One Way Heroics based on this thread and I wasn't very impressed. Combat was way too simple and item durability destroys the entire power progression of the game by not being able to continuously improve.

Toma

I picked up One Way Heroics based on this thread and I wasn't very impressed. Combat was way too simple and item durability destroys the entire power progression of the game by not being able to continuously improve.

Huh? It doesnt destroy progression at all, how long did you play?

Sulik2

Huh? It doesnt destroy progression at all, how long did you play?

Gave it about 3 hours on Saturday. An example of what I mean, got a great axe, used it for three runs without finding a repair scroll. It breaks and now my damage is back to noob level and I can't progress any farther until I stumble on a good weapon again. Thats really annoying game design. Especially when it happens to all of your items.

Toma

Gave it about 3 hours on Saturday. An example of what I mean, got a great axe, used it for three runs without finding a repair scroll. It breaks and now my damage is back to noob level and I can't progress any farther until I stumble on a good weapon again. Thats really annoying game design. Especially when it happens to all of your items.

You could have had the choice to not use the axe, put it in the vault, wait until you get a repair scroll and then take it out again. You wouldnt have lost anything by doing a no-awesome-axe run. You can prepare by grabbing some good items over several runs, storing them away and then making a super-duper awesome run with your stored items. You even make progress every playthrough which allows you to unlock more skills and item vault storage, so I dont really get the complaint about not making any progress. I played 15 hours or so and was continually unlocking stuff and improving my odds of winning.

Vlad

Holy crap, I see why people were saying to buy Hexcells and Hexcells Plus together.

I start playing through Hexcells, and I'm chugging along quite nicely, working my way through what I think is the first "set" of levels (the title screen has a 1, 2, and 3 that you click on, and I assumed that those were each the "worlds" of this game). Next thing I know, I'm getting what's very obviously a last level! Turns out those things on the title screen were save slots (and kudos to the developer for actually adding the ability for multiple saves!).

So, having completed Hexcells in just about two hours, I figure I'll start on Plus.

Three hours later, I'm only at about 20% complete on Plus. The puzzles are MUCH more challenging, and require more deduction to figure out the next move a lot of the time. Great set of games!

Fox1304

Any special recommandations on those indie gems to play on a surface pro ?
Touchscreen or pen only so.
Would love to fill my library with those :)

Top Bottom