• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Steam Sale 2014] Indie-ana Games and the Temple of Hidden Gems

What do you mean Skirmish vs AI? Isn't that just what the campaign is?

I mean something like the multiplayer mode but an AI opponent... I was under the impression the campaign is a typical difficulty progression through the maps without much customization. ...unless that's wrong, in which case I'll plunk down the money tonight!

Hey guys, I have a question for you.

Which indies do you feel have completely blazed a trail of their own?

In other words, when you think of a genre, you think of the indie game, its universe, its characters independent of its inspirations. It doesn't remind you of X and Y. It just is.

Spacechem
Uplink
Defcon
Lugaru/Overgrowth
World of Goo
Reus
Proteus
The Polynomial
Gone Home
Thirty Flights of Loving and Gravity Bone
FTL
Slenderman (whichever one, whatever)

Each of these games, I arguably think made their own genres or mixes that go beyond anything but the most vague genre categorization.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I mean something like the multiplayer mode but an AI opponent... I was under the impression the campaign is a typical difficulty progression through the maps without much customization. ...unless that's wrong, in which case I'll plunk down the money tonight!

The campaign does sort of progress you through the game, but before even the first boss you have a lot of top-down strategy options available to you. So I would say that the brunt of your assumption is correct, but in terms of customization you get a lot of options for types of boulders and available defense placements with not much time through it.

These are the options in the Single Player menu

screenshot_2014_06_26_22_58_06_by_aloo81-d7o4mer.jpg

For what it's worth, I think the single player is absolutely worth playing. The games awesome.

The campaign does sort of progress you through the game, but before even the first boss you have a lot of top-down strategy options available to you. So I would say that the brunt of your assumption is correct, but in terms of customization you get a lot of options for types of boulders and available defense placements with not much time through it.

These are the options in the Single Player menu

For what it's worth, I think the single player is absolutely worth playing. The games awesome.

...well, I think you just sold me on it, so thanks!

Not like the entry price is prohibitive anyway!

Speevy

Banned
Spacechem
Uplink
Defcon
Lugaru/Overgrowth
World of Goo
Reus
Proteus
The Polynomial
Gone Home
FTL

Each of these games, I arguably think made their own genres or mixes that go beyond anything but the most vague genre categorization.

Good list. Thank you.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Spacechem
Uplink
Defcon
Lugaru/Overgrowth
World of Goo
Reus
Proteus
The Polynomial
Gone Home
FTL

Splendid list.

I'd add Fez to that as well and a few others that I cant think of right now because I am too tired :p If the question pops up in the Indie thread again, I'll give it some more thought.

Speevy

Banned
Oh...that's tough

Well for me, I'd have to go back several years. The three games that introduced me to indies were Nitronic Rush, Warning Forever, and Facade. I think out of those, Facade is the one that stands out the most. I can't think of any other game that drops you into such an intimate situation and grants you such pivotal control over what happens. Not through dialogue choices but by typing whatever you want, and then the characters react accordingly

Really, there's nothing else like Facade IMO. It's unique to this day.
http://www.interactivestory.net

You know, you should post this question in the main Indie thread. This discussion is better suited there. You'll probably get a lot more intereresting answers

Thank you. Perhaps I will.

Well, the first games I think of that I can't draw any comparisons to off the top of my head (at least, in terms of games preceding them in their respective genres/gameplay styles):

Hotline Miami
Papers, Please
Minecraft (although there was apparently some game before it that it was based on)
FTL
Pretty much everything in that Sportsfriends bundle

Thank you also.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Added Doorkickers, Defenders Quest, Bunny Must Die, Tales of Maj'Eyal, Pineapple Smash Crew, 10,000,000 , DLC Quest, Hard Reset, Plague Inc Evolved, Marlow Briggs, Moonbase Commander, Sacrifice, Defy Gravity:Extended,JetsnGuns, Volgarr, The Ball, 10 second ninja, Capsule, Influx, Dustforce, Astebreed and maybe a few others I forgot to list now.

Also woooooooooo, someone got a shiny new tag :)

*bows down to the almighty tag giving mod power*

Edit: Also, I start to wonder what the longest GAF OP ever was. During the next sale (or the one after), this thread should breach 10 OP posts.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Spacechem
Uplink
Defcon
Lugaru/Overgrowth
World of Goo
Reus
Proteus
The Polynomial
Gone Home
FTL

I thinkbStanley Parable/Jazzpunk deserves to be on that list.

Tiny and Big did something really unique too, being able to cutbthe entire world.

Papers, Please also.Little Inferno, Niddhog. Minecraft but obviously that.

Perhaps Super Hexagon?

I want to say Kerbal, but it came after Nuts and Bolts but those two sort of blew the concept open big.

A quick look through my game list had these stand out.

Someone else might be able to vouch for Starseed Pilgrim but i havent gotten far in it.

Added Doorkickers, Defenders Quest, Bunny Must Die, Tales of Maj'Eyal, Pineapple Smash Crew, 10,000,000 , DLC Quest, Hard Reset, Plague Inc Evolved, Marlow Briggs, Moonbase Commander, Sacrifice, Defy Gravity:Extended,JetsnGuns, Volgarr, The Ball, 10 second ninja, Capsule, Influx, Dustforce, Astebreed and maybe a few others I forgot to list now.

Also woooooooooo, someone got a shiny new tag :)

*bows down to the almighty tag giving mod power*

Edit: Also, I start to wonder what the longest GAF OP ever was. During the next sale (or the one after), this thread should breach 10 OP posts.

Nice tag Toma.

I just wanted to say thanks for putting this together.

I have a couple of your recommendations in a list to buy on the last day. I went ahead and bought One Way Heroics though, having never heard of it before.

I only played it a few times before starting to get bored (I beat it once though, at least), to be honest, but I thought it was a really great idea and got a few thoroughly entertaining hours of a unique experience for $.87.

Toma

I just wanted to say thanks for putting this together.

I have a couple of your recommendations in a list to buy on the last day. I went ahead and bought One Way Heroics though, having never heard of it before.

I only played it a few times before starting to get bored (I beat it once though, at least), to be honest, but I thought it was a really great idea and got a few thoroughly entertaining hours of a unique experience for $.87.

Sounds like you got your money's worth then at least. These kind of games definitely have bigger lasting appeal for some people than they have for others, but if you really dig in, its easy spending dozens of hours in that game unlocking all classes and getting all rewards (aka beating every difficulty with every class), which also feels fresh in itself because the classes vary quite a bit.

Atrophis

Spacechem
Uplink
Defcon
Lugaru/Overgrowth
World of Goo
Reus
Proteus
The Polynomial
Gone Home
FTL

I'd switch Slenderman with Penumbra and Amnesia.

Gilby

Someone else might be able to vouch for Starseed Pilgrim but i havent gotten far in it.

SSP had a big influence on the game I'm currently starting to design/prototype. I would say it deserves to be on any list about unique game designs :)

Toma

SSP had a big influence on the game I'm currently starting to design/prototype. I would say it deserves to be on any list about unique game designs :)

If you are interested in Starseed Pilgrims mechanic design, check out Fjords:
https://gumroad.com/l/FJORDS

I loved SSP, but I thought that Fjords was actually even more interesting.

Kinda sorta unrelated but do we have a thread about the game that introduced us to indie gaming ? I thought it would be nice to share experiences, it was really an eye opener for me.
I play anything now from Teleglitch to GTAV and I think I've never had so many games to play ever. Next month I'm expecting Abyss Odyssey, Shovel Knight, Divinity and (hopefully) KF2 so really there's the whole spectrum.

Kinda sorta unrelated but do we have a thread about the game that introduced us to indie gaming ? I thought it would be nice to share experiences, it was really an eye opener for me.
I play anything now from Teleglitch to GTAV and I think I've never had so many games to play ever. Next month I'm expecting Abyss Odyssey, Shovel Knight, Divinity and (hopefully) KF2 so really there's the whole spectrum.
That's a good topic. Guess I'll start one

Edit: here
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=845600

Gilby

If you are interested in Starseed Pilgrims mechanic design, check out Fjords:
https://gumroad.com/l/FJORDS

I loved SSP, but I thought that Fjords was actually even more interesting.

I have played and loved Fjords. But compared to SSP it sort of hands you the mechanics and tells you to experiment with them. SSP makes you work for even that, which I love.

Still, super psyched for Fjords Fjorever!

Toma

I have played and loved Fjords. But compared to SSP it sort of hands you the mechanics and tells you to experiment with them. SSP makes you work for even that, which I love.

Still, super psyched for Fjords Fjorever!

Hmmm, I am not sure I agree. Its more or less debating on super small details now and both games are fantastic but in Fjords I got a bigger sense of exploration for the mechanics and the world than I did in SSP. SSP didnt tell you what to do with the game mechanics, true, but the basics were very clear from the beginning. You plant stuff, seeds grow, climb things. There is an inherent beauty to how SSP teaches you those mechanics and lets you improve yourself through that, but I felt Fjords had a way bigger hands off approach. Right in the beginning someone tells you the controls, but after that its pretty much just acting with the world, see what happens and pure exploration. Moments like
trying to access a door in negative space world
or figuring out what waterfalls are for was pure exploration for me. I explored a world in which everything needs closer examination, whereas SSP was always relative clear about the basic structure.

Gilby

Hmmm, I am not sure I agree. Its more or less debating on super small details now and both games are fantastic but in Fjords I got a bigger sense of exploration for the mechanics and the world than I did in SSP. SSP didnt tell you what to do with the game mechanics, true, but the basics were very clear from the beginning. You plant stuff, seeds grow, climb things. There is an inherent beauty to how SSP teaches you those mechanics and lets you improve yourself through that, but I felt Fjords had a way bigger hands off approach. Right in the beginning someone tells you the controls, but after that its pretty much just acting with the world, see what happens and pure exploration. Moments like
trying to access a door in negative space world
or figuring out what waterfalls are for was pure exploration for me. I explored a world in which everything needs closer examination, whereas SSP was always relative clear about the basic structure.

That spoiler tag applies to SSP too :p

And that's specifically what I meant about SSP, sure the basic interactions with stuff are fairly simple to figure out, but figuring out how to progress through the game and how to really finish levels took a lot more time and effort. At least for me.

This last page is practically turning into the main Indie thread. Where are all you guys usually? You should really come by the Indie threads more often

Knight77

Guys any good GDR? I mean not like Skyrim but more like Baldurs Gate or Diablo, I have in mind Torchlight and BG (already finished, anything else really good? If can be played with the pad then it's perfect....

Toma

That spoiler tag applies to SSP too :p

And that's specifically what I meant about SSP, sure the basic interactions with stuff are fairly simple to figure out, but figuring out how to progress through the game and how to really finish levels took a lot more time and effort. At least for me.

Yeah, but SSP always felt more gamey to me, where Fjords was more pure exploration. Anyway, both are great games, not everyone needs to prefer one or the other :p

This last page is practically turning into the main Indie thread. Where are all you guys usually? You should really come by the Indie threads more often

I assume most people here usually hop around the Steam thread? Maybe its that stupid barrier of only wanting to play games on Steam that keeps people glued to this and the main Steam thread.

Vlad

I assume most people here usually hop around the Steam thread? Maybe its that stupid barrier of only wanting to play games on Steam that keeps people glued to this and the main Steam thread.

For me, it's more a matter of not being able to keep up. As with most people, I'm swimming in a backlog, but I'm actually trying to work my way through it (currently having my mind blown by The Swapper). As much as I'd like to, checking out every indie title that looks interesting every month simply isn't feasible.

For me, it's more a matter of not being able to keep up. As with most people, I'm swimming in a backlog, but I'm actually trying to work my way through it (currently having my mind blown by The Swapper). As much as I'd like to, checking out every indie title that looks interesting every month simply isn't feasible.
You don't have to play new games every month. Discussions like on this page or impressions of older indies are always welcome.

But yeah there are so many new games, those monthly threads can be pretty overwhelming. On the plus side, a lot of those games are usually free

And yes, The Swapper is amazing

I'd switch Slenderman with Penumbra and Amnesia.

Well personally when I think of Penumbra or Amnesia I think of either old Point and Click Adventure games or something like Realms of the Haunting.

When I think of the "Slenderman" genre, I can't think of much it's like. In the vaguest terms it's a collectathon while you keep away from something. The "keep away" genre is pretty new in my mind.

I really only buy a load of indie games at Steam sales.

Moobabe

You don't have to play new games every month. Discussions like on this page or impressions of older indies are always welcome.

But yeah there are so many new games, those monthly threads can be pretty overwhelming. On the plus side, a lot of those games are usually free

And yes, The Swapper is amazing

+1 for The Swapper. Also +1 for some of you guys hanging out in the Indie Thread more often.

Also Astebreed is good guys. Like super good and cool.

Let me recommend to some They Bleed Pixels , an action platformer that feels like a combination between Super Meat Boy and Dustforce. A title where accurate platforming is often required, but attack combos for the best score and survival is key. This is no Kirby or Starfy, there will be plenty of deaths.

The game does have it's faults. It suffers a bit from the controls at time not being as quick as you may wish they were (design choice, not mechanic failure) and there are enemies that with poor design feel like they would have been at home with certain NES titles that sought arcade coin crunching difficulty or annoyance (tiny flying enemies in most games are bad). Yet through that there is still a sense of accomplishment once you kill a dozen enemies in a row or overcome a difficult section of platforming through a dash plus a jump into a wall jump onto safety that satisfies quite a few who are into platforming.

It's aesthetics are Lovecraft, but through the view of a young private primary girl and those crayon or charcoal or fevered dream art style may put some off in a pixel based title, but I found it charming and interesting as it changed from world to world.

In the end a difficult game, but one that can be mastered and will stand out amongst other platformers in your Steam collection if you get it and can enjoy it for very cheap right now.

Just quoting this to say +1 to all of this. And kicking a monster into some saw blades is satisfying.

Kumubou

Cloudbuilt is on sale currently as a flash deal for 85% off! Thats 3 bucks :-o
Went and bought this game, and it's making me feel old. God damn can this game move fast. It's pretty obvious the developers like speedrunning -- the game even has a input display enabled by default.

Toma

I spent the day playing Tales of Maj'Eyal. Damn fine roguelike, especially how well they nailed the item system and the persistent upgrades/unlocks that offer rewards beyond just finishing a roguelike run. The game is technically free, but easily worth the $3 special edition on Steam.

Snakepit

I'll c&p an old post of mine on Defy Gravity Extended

1. What is it?

An indie game released in the summer of 2011, it's the first and only game by Fish Factory Games. Defy Gravity Extended is a 2D mix of puzzle and platforming, in which you control a Gravitymancer who can shoot gravity and anti-gravity wells, which you'll have to use to advance through the levels. The Gravitymancer is affected by those wells (unless you use the shield), some objects are affected by those wells, some aren't; and you can destroy the floating balls by jumping on them. Beware of spiky stuff, as always.

2. Why do you feel it is underrated?

I don't think it's underrated, more like it's not even rated- at all. Check out SteamCharts. I've seen it mentioned in a few places, even on IGN, but it's safe to assume that two and a half years after its release the game's all but forgotten.

3. Why should we play it?

The game's fun, the puzzles, while not that difficult (I think it can be beat in 3-4 hours), are well-designed; and there's a NG+ with a very interesting twist to the gameplay. Also, it's on sale right now at 0'19€, so it's a very low-risk investment. The OST fits the game fantastically.

Cons: 720p only. You can add "-720window" to the launch options to have it in a window.
I was reading through the thread and while scrolling through I read your post about Defy Gravity and I decided to check out this game it was only .29 cents so I said why not, I have work soon but I'm excited to try this and play through it seems fun

Gilby

Yeah, but SSP always felt more gamey to me, where Fjords was more pure exploration. Anyway, both are great games, not everyone needs to prefer one or the other :p

Oh definitely, and the mere fact that you have played both tells me you are a scholar and gentleman :)

Dust: An Elysian Tail is 80% off in the flash sale.

I spent the day playing Tales of Maj'Eyal. Damn fine roguelike, especially how well they nailed the item system and the persistent upgrades/unlocks that offer rewards beyond just finishing a roguelike run. The game is technically free, but easily worth the $3 special edition on Steam.

I totally agree Toma.

Hey guys. Since there are not many games currently on the storefront that interest me, I found time for this thread. Thanks Toma and all others for your efforts!

I am not sure whether it is an Indie but Divinity Dragon Commander is a flash sale with 75% Discount! http://store.steampowered.com/app/243950/

Durante always tries getting this to the man, so I guess it can't be that bad of a game.
~5h30m left

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The Swapper for $2.99
If you've never played the game, you can't pass this deal up

Oh dude! The Swapper is REALLY great!

People should totally be getting this. Really gorgeous, well thought out and inventive puzzle game with an interesting story. But seriously, that art style is fantastic.

The whole world is made from real world objects and clay that the developers hand crafted then took pictures of to import into the game. It looks incredible.

Ceebs

I would like to add that Risk of Rain is awesome. Picked it up during the sale. It gives a terrible first impression, but as you play it just gets better. Super tense 20-30 minute runs where you are on the edge of your seat almost the entire time. Oh yeah Online Co-Op too.

I think the art style is amazing, and love all the various creatures you encounter. Great soundtrack too.

Toma

Technically indie because they're self-publishing and everything but I think it may not be what people imagine when you say "indie".

If in doubt, it counts as Indie. Easy as that. Saves us needless discussions.

No one replied in the main thread, so reporting here:

Hm, which one?

Toma

Seriously, Tales of Maj'eyal deserves a new thread. There is a free version everyone could check out so the thread probably doesnt need to be during the sale, but I basically sank my whole day into the game yesterday (7 hour train ride, woo) and its one of the most accessible, yet content rich roguelikes I've ever played. The well thought out UI and mouse controls probably help a lot there, or how the visuals are decent enough to give most information at first glance. I didnt like how the game started me initially in "adventure" mode, which means you got multiple lives, but once I changed to Roguelike, it clicked. Tense, a plethora of different skills, tons of unlockables, and the different classes actually play differently.

Its a bit of a waste that the overarching layout of the game wasnt randomized as well (instead of only the individual levels), which is basically the only negative I have about it. Every story dungeon is always the same length, with the same bosses and the same lore. The layout is still different with randomized events or places spawning in there, making them interesting, but the world map is pretty much the same all the time, which is a bit detracting for the feeling of roguelike exploration.

But a game that hooked me 11 hours on a saturday needs a new thread... eventually.

Oh and yeah, in 11 hours of playtime, I didnt get a single one out of those 1300 achievements, haha.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Toma has anyone mentioned The Fall yet? Its a really great point and click game about AI and choice vs programming. It doesnt seem to have gotten any love, despite being a successful kickstarter apparently.

Top Bottom