• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stereogum's 40 best Metal Albums of 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we're talking about bands and opinions that would make metal elitists crawl: I really fucking love the new In Flames album. #SorryNotSorry

Seriously, I can't stop listening to it.

I haven't been able to bring myself to listen to it. Everything I've heard from them after Come Clarity has been awful. Looks like it's on Google Music though... maybe I'll queue it up for later.

The new Gojira and Vektor (other than the incredible opening track) were mediocre, and other than Mesarthim and Batushka, I either didn't listen to the albums on this list or thought they were just ok. I'm always listening to new stuff and trying to find what's good pretty much all year round, too. It's like this every year with metal writers, but usually not to this extent.

The most glaring omission here is Mithras. I don't know how that wouldn't make a top 40 albums list.

RDreamer

I haven't been able to bring myself to listen to it. Everything I've heard from them after Come Clarity has been awful. Looks like it's on Google Music though... maybe I'll queue it up for later.

You probably shouldn't then, lol.

I like all the In Flames sounds, personally.

This Khemmis album is darn tooting good, a bit old school but that's fine. Very clean vocals. A bit high to top Decibel's list but might have high replay value compared to some other more harsher stuff.

bebop242

What about Death Angel?

(I didn't listen to it but I know they released an album.)

The new Death Angel has some good songs. Not a bad album, just nothing special.

Other classic bands

Metallica was a flash in a pan. Really enjoyed it when it first came out but after a couple listens I never went back to it.

Megadeth I just couldn't get into it. Dave's vocals are aging badly.

Testament was eh. It kinda went by and I have no real opinion one way or another.

Anthrax was a grower. Disliked it at first but it grew on me over the year. My fav of the bunch now.

Metal itself is an umbrella term that includes Europe and Enslaved.

Anyway, while we're talking about trends in metal we are tired of, I would like to add extreme down tuning and too many strings. #makemetalstandardtuningagain
I feel.
It's cool when a few people do it like Meshuggah, but most people can't pull it off in an interesting way and just get kinda lazy.
this coming from someone who got a 7 string as their first good guitar
also because of Korn

Aske

If we're talking about bands and opinions that would make metal elitists crawl: I really fucking love the new In Flames album. #SorryNotSorry

Seriously, I can't stop listening to it.

For me: Amaranthe. Love their stuff. Not heard their most recent album, maybe it'll be my favourite metal album of 2016!

... It definitely won't, it's Abnormality.

Devin Townsend, Gojira, Dillinger, Meshuggah, and though it may be Metal no longer, Opeth, all released great albums this year. In the case of DTP, Gojira, and TDEP, these albums happened to be some of the finest work of their careers.

I dunno. I'm happy.

Yay someone else heard this album, I was starting to feel like that kid from Beavis & Butthead with the 'Winger' tee shirt.

<3

Been following em since the release of Enter, seen em live a few times, got to meet the drummer etc etc. Big fan but don't keep track of their output as much as I used to. Almost confused this year's release with the prior album till I gave it a spin. Band needs more love.

RDreamer

Weird that it is not available online anymore. Even on Google Play music, there are only the two songs on the bandcamp page.

Just coming back to this, but I think he got a new distribution deal. The website says it's going to be released February 24, so maybe there'll be a CD and such.

myco666

Went through most of that list (listened one or two songs per album) and some really good stuff there. But what the hell is with these track lengths? I ain't got no time for +7 minute tracks.

I think with all the genre crossover these days and my inability to accurately describe genres, a lot of my conversations go:

Friend: Any good metal releases lately?
Me: *lists a bunch of d-beat crust*

I dunno. I call everything metal because I'm a fucking charlatan.

Yeah the punk metal crossover stuff is really hard to define where it belongs. Probably most of the stuff I listen would be categorized as metal by most people but I would put them on punk side.

Huh, wow. You're right, they aren't METAL.

METALcore is definitely not METAL. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

Metalcore is bit problematic with it having bunch of different meanings. It can mean metallic hardcore punk which is punk but it can mean also metal with hardcore punk influences which is metal. Now is this meaningful enough thing to divide the genre? I don't think so because shit is probably still heavy. But purists be purists.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Interesting. I play guitar in a metal band and would identify as a metal head. But I know of three bands on that list. Messugah, Gojira and Dark Throne. Time to spend more time with recent stuff I guess.

J-Roderton

I've got that Darkthrone record wrapped and nestled safely under my Christmas tree. Good to see it on the list I guess.

pablito

So people liked the new Opeth eh? I wasn't too keen on it, but I saw caught them 2 months ago and the songs they played from the last 3 did sound better live.

RDreamer

So people liked the new Opeth eh? I wasn't too keen on it, but I saw caught them 2 months ago and the songs they played from the last 3 did sound better live.

Heritage tour was the best I've ever seen them live. It translated incredibly well to a live setting somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom