• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steve-O Wildboys NintendoDS Advert.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Link

NINTENDO NEWS: WILDBOYZ AND LION PROVE 'TOUCHING IS GOOD' DURING AD SHOOT FOR NINTENDO DS

[Oct. 28, 2004]
An overeager lion rescripted a commercial for Nintendo DS™ by jumping into a tree with Wildboyz star Steve-O, playfully pawing at his body and gnawing on his safari hat. Both the lioness and Steve-O emerged unscathed.

The commercial, starring Steve-O and Chris Pontius and directed by Jeff Tremaine of the popular MTV show Wildboyz, highlights the unique features of Nintendo DS. In the spot, Pontius rides an elephant while using the touch screen of Nintendo DS to play a wireless multiplayer game with Steve-O, who has been treed by a trio of lions.

During the shoot, one female adult sprung into the tree and onto a branch with Steve-O. The lioness, possibly inspired by the "Touching is Good" slogan for Nintendo DS, wrapped its paws around Steve-O and nibbled at his hat. Steve-O remained calm, repeating "good kitty" over and over, but never once dropped his Nintendo DS.

The lioness' improvised move remains in the final cut of the commercial, which can be seen starting today on MTV networks as part of Nintendo's $40 million marketing campaign to launch Nintendo DS. A behind-the-scenes look at the filming of the commercial can be seen exclusively at Nintendo.com, where the Wildboyz say that the encounter with the lion was the wildest adventure they've ever had.

Wildboyz: The Complete First Season is now available on DVD at mtvshop.mtv.com.

To view the TV spot, the behind the scenes footage and learn more about Nintendo DS, please visit Nintendo.com.

nintendo+mtv"dont try this at home"boys=omgwtf?
definitely taking on the older crowd with this. that, and the play-with-wild-animals-who-can-kill-you crowd, or maybe the beat-the-crap-out-of-your-dad-and-trash-the-house (bam)crowd as well?

aoi tsuki

Screenboy said:
Wildboyz DS Ad

Dunno if the link will work.

It seems like an offensive ad campaign for the DS.

-SB
Funny how while that was the most censored i've ever seen Steve O it's still racy for nintendo.com, yet i didn't get that Nintendo popup telling me the content was unrated like with every other page on Nintendo's site.

explodet

According to the outtakes, they go to locations like this all the time, yet the closest this guy's ever come to death was not for the show, but for this commercial? That's messed up.

It's the funniest Nintendo ad I've seen in years, if not ever. And Pontius says "ass". We've come a long way from "hell of a guy" in the DK rap.

Gek54

I miss them too, by far my favorite show. I would pay to go around the world and do the same shit they do. F'n jealous.

Okay, I have to admit the commercial was alright, but the behind the scenes made it absolutely hilarious. That impromptu smack talk had me rolling.

That commercial is awesome. If you have seen Wildboyz before, then you know that this fits perfectly with their show, and will make it easier for the ad to connect to the fans of it.

:lol

I'm not a fan of this humor though, but the commercial was kind of funny. I'm sure a lot of MTV viewers will get a kick out of it.

So these commercials are done by MTV and not Leo Burnett, right? Nintendo should have hired them ages ago.

Pretty effective and funny commercial without getting too bogged down in aiming only for the "game nerd" crowd. It'll be a good commercial for casual consumers.

It reminds me of the old Sega Genesis commercials.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
They're effective in drawing attention to the DS - but other than the wireless connectivity, I'm not getting much in regards to the stylus/2nd screen, which are the main selling points...

The outtakes were hilarious. :lol

Mason

NINTENDO, IT'S ABOUT FUCKING TIME YOU GOT WITH THE PROGRAM.

Are there any left who doubt Reggie is the best thing to happen to this company in over a decade? Honestly.

To Leo Burnett's credit, I did like the Super Mario 3 ad, I think it's probably the best game commercial of this generation.

But stuff like that just doesn't connect with the masses by and large. Stuff like that works if you're already the market leader, its like a vanity commercial.

But yeah Nintendo needed commercials like these several years ago, because it's more efficent in getting the point across and shows fringe/hip celebrities using their products. Which is important since Nintendo isn't a tech company, they need to have a more casual approach to how people view the brand.

Like I said they remind me a lot of the Genesis-era Sega commercials.

border

I thought the commercial was mediocre. Most of it seems spent screaming about features that are not really demonstrated as useful or desirable.....then a lion jumps on some guy as a 2-second punchline.

The Outtakes are hilarious though. If that were the ad then I'd give it a big thumbs up ;)

Yeah but going into the features in-depth is too much for the "tech nerds".

Nintendo has to keep focused on the casual consumer, the commercial hits those features without being blatant (which isn't cool) about it.

It's totally the MTV style.

border

If you have new features that aren't self-explanatory, my feeling is that you should either demonstrate the features (as in that semi-disgusting WaveBird ad) or you shouldn't bother mentioning them at all. PS2 and Xbox never had advertisements screaming "It plays DVDs! It connects to the internet!" and they seem to have done alright.

Some goofball ad with a guy and a girl flirting through PictoChat might be a decent idea....particularly given how today's kids are all idiots for text messaging.

Kon Tiki

Banned
border said:
PS2 and Xbox never had advertisements screaming "It plays DVDs! It connects to the internet!" and they seem to have done alright.

Some goofball ad with a guy and a girl flirting through PictoChat might be a decent idea....particularly given how today's kids are all idiots for text messaging.

Maybe not on TV. They definatley had print ads. I can remeber some movie ads in EGM says 'PS2 compatible'. I can fins them and scan them later on if you want.

Well, they do have another set of ads that are basically entirely about the touch (these are teasers which will naturally evolve into more detailed spots).

The more commercials Nintendo can have with people using their products instead of focusing on the game/hardware alone, the better I think. Because there's a stigma against Nintendo that its only for a certain type of consumer, and when you have commercials like this, it starts to shake that image.

It's the exact reason why when Nike does a basketball commercial with Michael Jordan (or someone else), they'll probably only have one shot of the sneaker. The rest of the spot is just focused on the person.

Nintendo can't market like Sony can because they have their own brand issues to worry about, they're not in that same boat.

Perception is more important than the actual features of the product itself. MTV should do all of Nintendo's commercials IMO.

Dragmire

Well... you can see that Chris guy playing with his friggin' finger on the bottom screen. Then there's the 'touching is good' line. Then there's three other ads, two of which are about touching the bottom screen. I suppose Nintendo could send a letter to everyone in the country explaining that the bottom screen is a touchscreen.

Top Bottom