• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Still seen some people wear masks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
in hot summer weather outside?? its 2024 this makes no sense my friends.

w=368

Ever since covid, which is still active btw, people have been getting sick more often, like a lot of colds/flu's I mean. I havent seen anyone wearing a mask tho. Good for those that do. You'd think people have learned to keep a distance when coughing/sneezing after what we've been through but nope, some dumbasses will always sneeze/cough in ur face like its nothing.

winjer

Gold Member
People in certain Asian countries wear facial masks with frequency.
Sometimes it's because they don't want to catch a cold during season.
Or maybe because they are sick, and they are respectful of others, so they wear it not to spread it to other people.
Some use it not to be recognized.
There can be many reasons.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Ever since covid, which is still active btw, people have been getting sick more often, like a lot of colds/flu's I mean. I havent seen anyone wearing a mask tho. Good for those that do. You'd think people have learned to keep a distance when coughing/sneezing after what we've been through but nope, some dumbasses will always sneeze/cough in ur face like its nothing.

Coughing and sneezing in someone's face is inherently fucked up and dumb. That's a non issue in the context of it's dumbness and antisocial behavior more or less seeing that with a bit of intellect you don't do that period. It seems to me.

Last edited:
I get sick very easily (sneezing, colds, so on), and I have allergy to dust or any particle-like things that enters my nose.

Also, I heard some people say that they wear that mask because it makes them feel more comfortable outside.
Might be related to self-esteem issues, or just their personal comfort.

Point is, people have their reasons.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I don’t understand it either. I saw a guy at my conference who was double masked. Perhaps they are sick and are trying to control it and not infect others?
That’s the only things I can think of they are trying to stop spreading. Or maybe it’s allergies/pollution

thefool

On one hand, it makes me feel bad because that person might have been indoctrinated to a point that messed up with his/hers head.
On the other, that's on him/her and its not my business. If it's a way for the person to feel safe, go for it.

I was seeing a reel on ig where a girl was wearing a mask and she said it was because she believed she was ugly :/

Eiknarf

Banned
in hot summer weather outside?? its 2024 this makes no sense my friends.

w=368
America turned into Asia.

It was normal in Asia (or in Asian documentaries, or in Asian movies) since the 1950s to see a handful of people wearing masks there. I would be like, "WTF? Why are people wearing masks over there?"

Turns out Asians in Asia wore masks for many reasons: out of courtesy for others when they themselves were feeling sick... to keep their faces warm in the winter... to protect from air pollution... when they didnt have time to put on make-up..." It's already ingrained in their culture. Masks were a regular part of the scene since SARS...etc

Now, that seems to be where we in the West are headed post Covid. Many simply became paranoid ever since Covid and now have a hard time NOT wearing a mask. Those types need help/therapy. I literally see at least one person wearing a mask every day. Even outside by themselves in the Spring!!

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I sub to a channel of a guy walking his dog in LA and from what I observe pretty much the only people with masks left are the Asians. Must be a cultural thing.

In my country you don't see them at all anymore. Even in pharmacies people don't care.

Billbofet

When I see it I assume that person is sick or choses to be cautious in groups or crowds, so it doesn't bother me at all. I do laugh when I see the occasional person driving alone with one on, but again, that could be an Uber driver or..reasons.
My wife and I are good friends with a couple that views everything as political and it drives them into a tizzy. That's their choice to get all miffed, but at this point nobody will change anyone else's mind as everyone seems to have built their own custom echo chambers these past few years.

FunkMiller

I sub to a channel of a guy walking his dog in LA and from what I observe pretty much the only people with masks left are the Asians. Must be a cultural thing.

They've been wearing masks long before covid. Which is why I find it incredibly cringeworthy when some Americans make a big deal out of it, because it rather betrays their incredibly insular attitude to the world, and inability to see anything other than through the narrow perspective of their domestic politics. Embarrassing for the rest of them and us.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Banned
They've been wearing masks long before covid. Which is why I find it incredibly cringeworthy when Americans make a big deal out of it, because it rather betrays their incredibly insular attitude to the world, and inability to see anything other than through the narrow perspective of their domestic politics. Embarrassing for the rest of them and us.
Asians are so enlightened and open minded.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Asians are so enlightened and open minded.

Very sarcastic. I always (known) and felt that wearing a mask in Japan comes from an inherently culture based way of being polite regarding spreading colds and what not.

Nothing to do with being opend minded or enlightenment whatsoever.

We sure as hell don't have that in my country but that doesn't demean their way of dealing with sickness in general imo.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
You are really so triggered about people being concerned about their or other people's health? Like you said it's 2024, I thought we were passed all of this conspiracy shit.
hey pal dont care I didnt know so i come here to ask the smart people

Mistake

They've been wearing masks long before covid. Which is why I find it incredibly cringeworthy when some Americans make a big deal out of it, because it rather betrays their incredibly insular attitude to the world, and inability to see anything other than through the narrow perspective of their domestic politics. Embarrassing for the rest of them and us.
From what I remember, the majority of Americans don't have a passport, so that's hardly surprising.

But people can get tribal no matter where they are. In asia I was completely being avoided during covid as a foreigner, and in the US I got dirty looks sneezing from allergies or the sun. Logic goes out the window with a bit of fear

Haint

My Uncle and Niece just had 3+ week bouts with Covid last month and are not immunocompromised, and do not have underlying conditions. People with health issues should absolutely still be wearing masks in prolonged crowded interiors regardless of what right wing retards say, it's a powerful illness.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
You'd be surprised how inconsiderate some people are.

In any case, I don't see the problem. If you're sick, I think it's pretty respectful to wear a mask if you have to go out. I think you'd have to be a weird sort of person to judge someone for trying to contain their illness.
I don't care if people wear masks or not. I was just wondering who does that. I've always seen people cover their face with their arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom