• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stormgate - The RTS Genre Saved?

Corian33

Stormgate, an RTS made by many of the same people who brought you Starcraft 1/2 and Warcraft 3, will be free-to-play eventually but just started a Kickstarter that guarantees access to the beta starting in Feb 2024 (plus additional content that will presumably cost money later).

I’m really excited for this game. It looks like it could be the new competitive RTS experience I’ve been looking for. It’s also got coop modes, single player campaign, custom matches a la WC3. Just watch the video, these guys want to give the people what we’ve been begging for. Anyone else looking forward to this one?

Also, here’s 4 hours of actual gameplay:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I backed this, its alright certainly feels like some mod map for Starcraft.

The coop mode is interesting but I hope that won't just be it, Starcraft 2 did a very good job of making multiple map typed with varied objectives. At the moment the current commander just plays like the defualt faction, I'm hoping for some extreme deviation in what the loads out are in future.

Ivan

I just tried it, It looks visually terrible to a point I can't be bothered with it. The most generic thing I've ever seen. That mobile game aesthetics, my god...

StueyDuck

i was in some closed test for this game and then they wanted me to signup to some chinese thing and it was an instant turn off.

don't sleep on Tempest rising, the AI in the demo was pretty stupid but if they can tighten that up it will be excellent

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Is this going to appeal to a fresh crowd of teen boys to bring new players to the genre, or is it going to appeal to 40-year-old people with IT jobs and not much time to play it?

sigmaZ

Stormgate, an RTS made by many of the same people who brought you Starcraft 1/2 and Warcraft 3, will be free-to-play eventually but just started a Kickstarter that guarantees access to the beta starting in Feb 2024 (plus additional content that will presumably cost money later).

I’m really excited for this game. It looks like it could be the new competitive RTS experience I’ve been looking for. It’s also got coop modes, single player campaign, custom matches a la WC3. Just watch the video, these guys want to give the people what we’ve been begging for. Anyone else looking forward to this one?

Also, here’s 4 hours of actual gameplay:

Son. We have Starcraft at home.

hlm666

Tried this demo yesterday, didn't grab me. I had jumped from homeworld 3 demo to this though and I was eager to get back that so only lasted ~30 minutes. Loved starcraft 1&2 and warcaft 1 through 3 so will give it another look in the future but I think beyond all reason interests me more. Homeworld 3 is promising though.

Hudo

I played it. Found it to be StarCraft but worse in all aspects. And given that I am not the biggest fan of StarCraft anyway, it's not going to be something for me. But I wish them well, RTS needs to come back.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I know the demographic is StarCraft and RTS fans in general, but this just isn’t it.

This doesn’t have that Age 2, SC1&2, or Warcraft 3 staying power.

I hope for their sake this game is 3+ years out because this is not the new RTS e sport bastion they are wanting it to be.

amigastar

The environment graphics look so lame and boring in Stormgate. From ex Blizzard devs i expect more.
Anyways, Ouch:

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Stormgate is an upcoming real-time strategy game set hundreds of years in Earth's future. Developed by the team at Frost Giant Studios, this love letter to the RTS genre is the result of a passionate team working closely with their community to usher forth a new generation of strategy games.

With enhanced player experience, asymmetric faction design and an overall smooth gameplay feel, Stormgate is on its way to becoming a titan of the genre.

You can pre-purchase Stormgate in Early Access on July 30th.

1:27 - 6:19 - Creating the Factions
6:20 - 10:04 - Gameplay Design
10:05 - 13:09 - The Future of RTS
13:10 - 19:44 - Building a Community
19:45 - 20:19 - How to Play Stormgate

MrRibeye

Stormgate is #36 on Steam wishlists. That's more wishlists than DOOM The Dark Ages, Dragon Age Veilguard and even Call of Duty Black Ops 6.

Stormgate is already immensely popular.

Hudo

I hope Stormgate is successful enough for EA to remember that they've got Command & Conquer.

And I do hope that Microsoft will do something with WarCraft 3. But give it to a team that knows what it's doing; there are no developers left at Blizzard who know how to make a good RTS. Chris Metzen can still be the story/lore guy.

hyperbertha

I hope Stormgate is successful enough for EA to remember that they've got Command & Conquer.

And I do hope that Microsoft will do something with WarCraft 3. But give it to a team that knows what it's doing; there are no developers left at Blizzard who know how to make a good RTS. Chris Metzen can still be the story/lore guy.
I just want a 60 fps conversation. The original 3d models in that game are so beautifully made it never needed a modern graphical update. Just give it an engine upgrade, some new graphical bells and whistles, maybe a raytracing option, and call it a day.

AndrewRyan

Really looking forward to this and also how they tweak some of the game modes. My hope is they figure out a way so actions-per-minute doesn't play such a huge role in skill level. Not only so I can be more competitive but also a system where humans and AI can compete fairly.

TexMex

Gold Member
There’s micro transactions, but the game is free to play. Of course it does. They do have to make money somewhere.

I’m a kickstarter backer, and I was very excited. But I gotta say, I’ve tried to remain optimistic, but this just ain’t it at all. It’s a bummer.

The_hunter

There’s micro transactions, but the game is free to play. Of course it does. They do have to make money somewhere.

I’m a kickstarter backer, and I was very excited. But I gotta say, I’ve tried to remain optimistic, but this just ain’t it at all. It’s a bummer.
You have to pay for gameplay, or just skins?

i rather pay for the game, i dont like micro transactions at all.

Corian33

Video from yesterday with some of the visual updates they’ve been working on. Looking better! I think the first early access may have been just a little too early and gave people the impression the final product was going to be super generic. It was generic because that was their first pass at everything.

I still have high hopes for the content to come. I think the 3v3 with faction perks and stuff will be really fun. I believe it’s like the coop commander mode from SC2 but as a 3v3. Also there’s the entire single player campaign we haven’t seen much of.

Keep cooking, I think there’s plenty of potential still.

Shubh_C63

Does this have meaty story driven single player campaigns?
I think they are reeeaally hiding it because they have come out and said the Campaign stuff will be no joke.

They be cooking. It really needs to be as big as Warcraft 3 really. We will just have to wait for a Story Trailer.

Really looking forward to this and also how they tweak some of the game modes. My hope is they figure out a way so actions-per-minute doesn't play such a huge role in skill level. Not only so I can be more competitive but also a system where humans and AI can compete fairly.
Did you watch the video? Because it sounds like they are addressing this very thing.

From what I understand, each player gets an optional "buddy bot" AI that will automatically take care of the resource gathering/base expansion aspect.

amigastar

When does the game release to the public, free to play, i mean with no supporter pack or something to buy?

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The RTS genre died because it was never about STRATEGY but about spinning plates faster than your opponent. It should feel more like playing cards or chess than juggling.

It looks like the makers of Stormgate were too close to the genre to realize that.

Last edited:

Arsic

They already scammed people out of a ton of money via kickstarter shit, then got funded by big money, and then did more dono rallying.

Looks like the game will be a failure to RTS fans, but it made them lots of money to be profitable even before release lol.

Wildebeest

The RTS genre died because it was never about STRATEGY but about spinning plates faster than your opponent. It should feel more like playing cards or chess than juggling.

It looks like the makers of Stormgate were too close to the genre to realize that.
Not true at all. It's basic business. RTS games boomed on PC not because there was a market for them that was huge in absolute terms, but that they were an economically viable game genre to make. Many of them were total crap. Some more strategic, some more sim like or managerial, some more like RPGs. What has changed is not the market but the budget a game needs to appear like hot shit in the market. RTS just do not justify that sort of budget, especially since they are hard to adapt to "couch gaming" or simplify so much that anyone with a pulse can play them (actually they did, it's just called tower defence or vampire survivor).

Arsic

Not true at all. It's basic business. RTS games boomed on PC not because there was a market for them that was huge in absolute terms, but that they were an economically viable game genre to make. Many of them were total crap. Some more strategic, some more sim like or managerial, some more like RPGs. What has changed is not the market but the budget a game needs to appear like hot shit in the market. RTS just do not justify that sort of budget, especially since they are hard to adapt to "couch gaming" or simplify so much that anyone with a pulse can play them (actually they did, it's just called tower defence or vampire survivor).
This game just isn’t it.

If blizzard announced SC3 it would be all hands on deck.

Look at age 2 definitive edition. Still kicking strong with high player counts on PC and it’s available on console too.

Mythology retold looks to be the most enticing RTS this year and it’s just a remake lol.

Blizzard could just remake brood war and modernize visuals and hot keys,grouping, etc to be more in line with SC2. The die hards already have brood war remastered to keep playing forever now.

Shubh_C63

They really REALLY need to show a proper beautiful looking Campaign tutorial mission. Release it for free for everyone to play.

Mechanics might be there but the game is losing so many points looking graphically so stale.

Corian33

The supporter early access starts today. I’m honestly still excited to play this game as soon as I get home. This build includes some of the single player campaign. Free players will get the prologue (3 missions) and then there are chapters you buy after that, if you want. I’m hoping for some top tier WC3 quality levels, but we shall see.

Shubh_C63

The supporter early access starts today. I’m honestly still excited to play this game as soon as I get home. This build includes some of the single player campaign. Free players will get the prologue (3 missions) and then there are chapters you buy after that, if you want. I’m hoping for some top tier WC3 quality levels, but we shall see.
Ok so the campaign missions does look good. The in game cutscenes are pretty great, the NPCs are dark humorous and story in my faith seems to know what people expect. Bring the "artifact" right out of the gate makes me think they will subvert expectations with the story really well.

Top Bottom