• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Cleaning Simulator |OT| We Clean Your Garbage

Grinchy

Banned
DonMigs85 said:
This looks like it would run well with my Geforce 2 MX 400
LMAO that's what my old PC had in it before I built a new one. Let's just say I know that feel, bro.

I know people are kind of having fun busting this game's balls, but I actually want to play it now....something about it is enticing

DonMigs85

I think next we should have a pizza delivery simulator... Could work pretty well, but then again it could be too similar to Crazy Taxi.

Lijik

DonMigs85 said:
I think next we should have a pizza delivery simulator... Could work pretty well, but then again it could be too similar to Crazy Taxi.
I remember playing a demo for a shitty pizza delivery sim around 2005, but I can't seem to find it again.

Zoc

All you guys are hating, but I loved "Tokyo Bus Guide," and this totally could have been a crazy, nerdy little gem. Too bad it looks awful.

JimboJones

The copy I seen had a much more exciting tag line.

33jh27b.jpg

Snuggler said:
It's a bit of both. I mean, the game is clearly crap, but the concept is intriguing. Videogames based on everyday, mundane activities are strangely appealing to me.

It's funny because I think that there are a lot of games which base some or all of their gameplay around performing everyday mundane activities, and attaching a winning condition to the outcomes. RPGs with a lot of "Collect x of y" and "Go here and talk to z" quests almost always make me wonder if the NPCs in the game aren't just stroking the protagonist's ego with all their Chosen One talk so that they'll perform a bunch of mundane chores on their behalf.

The winning condition makes the biggest difference I think. Without knowing much about this game, I'd assume that your primary task is to efficiently run the sanitation business for a city. That suggests a definite losing condition -- i.e. bankruptcy, losing the tender -- but not such a definite winning condition, since the goal is one which is ongoing and needs continuous reassessment.

Game Dev Story comes to mind. It stops charting your total history/progress after 20 years and gives you a lot of feedback on what you did during that time, but it lets you keep going indefinitely. Where it works is giving the player the means to set and assess their own goals and adjust their decisions accordingly. Do we want to invest in a new IP with an untested combination of genres and themes and risk a flop? Or make another sequel to a successful franchise which is guaranteed to sell? The former can be assessed from reviews and awards, the latter from unit sales.

Back on to this game, I guess the corollary would be having the means to gauge the satisfaction of your employer (i.e. the city), and have that factor into decisions around tenders and firing yo ass. If there are a number of things which can influence that satisfaction level, then the player has the option to set goals around their trash service; for example, one player might choose to invest in more pickups, so the civilians are happy that the trash isn't piling up; another player might ease off on pickups, but invest leftover cash into better trash disposal technology, leading to a cleaner environment and the approval of lobby groups.

They are both essentially the same goal, keeping your head above water, but they are made up of smaller goals defined by the player themselves. The winning condition for the player then becomes how well they can satisfy their own goals, and I think that's pretty cool. Obviously that's not confined to simulations necessarily, but I do think they're somewhat unique in their potential to be effectively endless, and without a winning condition in the traditional sense.

Haunted

Someone really needs to make a compilation for all the obscure "____ simulator" games these guys have put out over the years.

Crazy release schedule.

Crazetex said:
Yeah, okay, I'm considering buying this.

Which is best: this, Skyrim, or Dark Souls?
If you're looking for the definitive street cleaning simulation, look no further.

Qasiel

Great, yet another game to add to my "must have" collection. GAF, you are out to render me penniless, aren't you?

Please tell me that there's a collector's edition. Or at the very least a GOTY ed. in the works?

Luminate said:
So this is basically Big Rigs + Sandbox game?

I'm so in there.

Yeah except you drive really slow, most of the time people walking next to you will go faster, still pretty awesome though when you take that last dirt away from the road, feels like you accomplished something and is a part of something bigger than just yourself.

I thought this was a fighting game like Streets of Rage. Would have been amazing if it was a fighting game called Street Cleaner.

Pics look hilarious though.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Never has a OT made me want to buy a game more. Great work.

Sadly I already promised I would save my money for another type in this wonderful work-genre, a mighty mmo for the powerful and mighty lorry driving profession.

BKK

Can't really justify getting Street Cleaning Simulator when Industrial Vacuum Simulator is just around the corner ...

TXEKO.jpg

Industrial Vacuum Simulator like you coming in here shitting up the thread like Battlefielders in a CoD thread. Do not appreciate it.

Labadal

WoodenLung said:
Industrial Vacuum Simulator like you coming in here shitting up the thread like Battlefielders in a CoD thread. Do not appreciate it.

Hey, let's not start this war again. Industrial Vacuum Simulator has great potential.

BKK

WoodenLung said:

I did search for the Street Cleaning Simulator Versus Industrial Vacuum Simulator Garbage Thread but couldn't find it. Maybe it got locked?

Jockel

GavinGT said:
No need to make SWEEPING generalizations.
He's right though. The game is in desperate need for some POLISH.
If it was using its full potential, it would WIPE THE FLOOR with competing simulations.

Edit: That's enough bad puns for one thread. KEEP IT CLEAN from now on.

Top Bottom