• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STREET FIGHTER ALPHA 3 MAX: New GameSpot Review + GamePlay Footage:

Matix

-(Source: *GameSpot*)-

STREET FIGHTER ALPHA 3 MAX: New GameSpot Review + GamePlay Footage:
http://www.gamespot.com/psp/action/streetfighteralpha3/index.html?q=Street Fighter

928337_20060206_screen011.jpg

928337_20060206_screen012.jpg

You should already know its good, this review just helps resure it

This thing was a sure buy the moment I heard it was annouced, now it's just a question of form over functionality for that D-pad attachment for my PSP.

Tabris

Oneself said:
I'll be waiting for the PS2 collection :( ... too bad there are too many good games coming out soon!

Some people really don't get the whole point of handhelds.

They're meant for portability. If you don't play video games outside your house, then don't buy a PSP/NDS/GBA.

SFA3 (GBA) Review By Greg Kasavin Posted Dec 17, 2002 5:37 pm PT

This new Game Boy Advance port is as faithful a rendition of the original as can reasonably be expected, so it's not just one of the better fighting games from the last five years--it's also a terrific game to have on the go.

SFA3M (PSP) Review By Greg Kasavin Posted Feb 6, 2006 2:04 pm PT

A few years ago, the thought of having a perfect translation of Street Fighter Alpha 3 on a portable game system, complete with [wireless] multiplayer, would have been practically unthinkable, like some kind of fighting-game promised land.

aha?

Unison

"The Bad: The PSP's controls and layout can make some moves tough to pull off; noticeable loading times"

:-(

Eh, it came out 4 years ago and was very impressive effort, but it doesn't take a genius to realize which version is the best unless people stupidily take such scores at face value.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, I don't really bring it up much because certain people bitch at me for being picky with load times, but yeah...the load times in SFA/Z3 PSP are enough to make me never want to play the game unless I'm going to be on a flight or something. The general flow of 30sec match to 10 secs of text/loading -> 30 sec match is lame :(

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Eh, it came out 4 years ago and was very impressive effort, but it doesn't take a genius to realize which version is the best unless people stupidily take such scores at face value.
Sure it looks better, but I wanted to point out the paradox statement greg made there.

The next SF I will buy has to have onlineplay.

Matix

Unison said:
GBA version must be the definitive portable version!

Eh, don't get it twisted though. Technically considering the GBA standards, it was pretty incredible. Although, the PSP version is own another level (which makes them pretty uncomparable). As of now, the PSP is easily the best pocket incarnation, and also one of the best versions yet overall of SFA3.

Oneself

Tabris said:

They're meant for portability. If you don't play video games outside your house, then don't buy a PSP/NDS/GBA.

Hey smart boy, I said I will wait for the PS2 collection. Why? Because there are too many games coming out soon.. and that includes Playstation PORTABLE games. I don't wanna spend 2000$ on games in two freaking months. By getting the PS2 collection, I will enjoy Alpha3 (that I already own on PSone) and every other Alpha games +more for the price of this PSP game.

Thank you for your understanding, champ.

MoxManiac

I will enjoy Alpha3 (that I already own on PSone)

You are aware that the Alpha3 in that collection is the CPS2 arcade version, right? That means the original 25 characters + Balrog/Juli/Juni. No Guile, No T.Hawk, No Dee Jay, etc etc etc and no World Tour mode.

Oneself

MoxManiac said:
You are aware that the Alpha3 in that collection is the CPS2 arcade version, right? That means the original 25 characters + Balrog/Juli/Juni. No Guile, No T.Hawk, No Dee Jay, etc etc etc and no World Tour mode.

Yeah, but that's not a big deal since I can play the PSone port anyway, that's why I'll wait. I prefer spending money on original titles like "Exit" or "Pursuit Force" instead, Capcom just keeps re-releasing old games. I'll get it later, like this summer if there's nothing interesting coming out.

mosaic

go eat paint
GregK said:
There are plenty of solid sound effects and lots of speech in Alpha 3 Max, and all the voice work stands out in particular...except for the bonehead announcer, who sounds like a gameshow host rather than an emcee of a martial arts tournament.
Awwww... that's why I love him so! "Beat 'em up guy, go for broke!"

Greg's review totally reminds me of how varied people's opinions of Alpha 3 are. Some like the announcer, some don't. Some like the music, some don't. Some like the art style, some don't. Some like the game balance (as much as it could be with 39 characters), some don't. For me, Capcom was totally in my wheelhouse with Alpha 3.

I just wish they would've put some of the Alpha 2 backgrounds into MAX (for the new charas, or just because). Rose's Venice background and Chun Li's mass cyclist background were hot stuff in that game. Not to mention Bison with his plane.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I can certainly understand people preferring fighting games on consoles, but regardless, the PSP version of Street Fighter Alpha 3 is hands-down the BEST home version of the game, period. You not only get the excellent world tour mode and the character edit options, but in addition to all the different types of play modes already in the game (final battle, dramatic battle, team battle, survival, etc.), you also get the variable battle and 100-man Kumite battle modes, as well as the three added characters from the GBA version, plus Ingrid from CFE.

The huge amount of modes and options, especially the world tour mode, also make SFA3 an excellent fighting game for long single player bouts.

Unison said:
"The Bad: The PSP's controls and layout can make some moves tough to pull off; noticeable loading times"

:-(

Don't sweat it; the load times are relatively quick (5-6 seconds for most modes; sorry Bebpo, but when you complain about the 5 second loads in SS Tenka, it's hard to take you seriously on load times ^_^;), and the moves are all easy to do. If you have a problem with the PSP d-pad, that's what the attachment is for.

The Abominable Snowman said:
I'm getting this one exclusively for the Tag battle and Yun. That's all they had to say to get me to buy.

Just to make sure that you know, the "tag battle" only allows for ONE PLAYER to pick two characters and switch in and out; it's just a variation on dramatic battle. Do not expect Marvel Vs. Capcom-style fast tagging in SFA3.

Rockman

How I wish the PSP d-pad wasn't such garbage. Hopefully one of these third party companies making replacement shells will have the option for a better one.

Lyte Edge said:
Just to make sure that you know, the "tag battle" only allows for ONE PLAYER to pick two characters and switch in and out; it's just a variation on dramatic battle. Do not expect Marvel Vs. Capcom-style fast tagging in SFA3.
Damn. Capcom is so fucking lazy..

Oh well, it's better than cheap dramatic battle tactics like one character on either sides short-hopping and low-hitting infinitely.

Lyte Edge

Bluemercury said:
When is the ps2 one is coming?

Lots of people seem to be confused by this, so to clarify from what we currently know:

The PS2 Alpha Collection (with Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix, AKA Pocket Fighter, NOT PUZZLE FIGHTER) will contain the arcade versions of Street Fighter Alpha, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Street Fighter Alpha 2 "Gold" (Presumably Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha), and Street Fighter Alpha 3.

Again, these are the *arcade* versions, and while it really doesn't mean anything for Alpha and Alpha 2, since they're going to have options like training mode and dramatic battle anyway, it will be a huge difference for people who only played the home versions of the game.

When Street Fighter Zero 3 came out for the Playstation, Capcom added a lot of new content. New play modes, the new World Tour Mode that let you customize characters, as well as Guile, T. Hawk, Fei Long, and Dee Jay were all added. In the arcade SFA3, Balrog, Juli, and Juni were hidden time-release characters; I assume they will be available from the start.

Whether or not Capcom is going to include the home version's new modes (doubtful) or at least throw in the home version characters is still unknown. I wouldn't rule it out, since they did let you access the entire character roster in the Vampire Savior games in the PS2 Vampire Collection (arcade versions didn't have all the characters from all the games) via a code, and they added one "new" character in Dee, so I could certainly see them adding those characters in as unlockables. We'll see.

I wouldn't expect to see the PSP Double Upper/Max content, however, since they likely don't want the PS2 collection to take away from the PSP SFA3 sales.

Lyte Edge

The Abominable Snowman said:
Question: A Friend of mine just showed me a gameplay video of him using Evil Ryu. Is he in the original ARC version?

I can't remember if Evil Ryu was in the original Alpha 2 arcade version or not, but he should be in "Alpha 2 Gold."

Tabris said:

I buy handhelds for the different games they offer like 2D platformers, puzzle games and things like 2D Castlevania. Portability is a really small bonus for me as my handhelds rarely leave my room.

Mr Jared

Again, these are the *arcade* versions, and while it really doesn't mean anything for Alpha and Alpha 2, since they're going to have options like training mode and dramatic battle anyway, it will be a huge difference for people who only played the home versions of the game.

It doesn't mean anything for Alpha 1 and 2 because Alpha 1 will always be horrible (Though not as bad as 3) and Alpha 2 was fine as is.

The problem with Capcom using the arcade version of Alpha 3 is of how glitchy and incredibly broken it is compared to say, Alpha 3 upper. Both are riddled with game breaking bugs, but Upper, not so much.

I guess I won't be buying this then as I already purchased Alpha 3 for the PSone a few months ago. If Capcom had included all the extra Alpha 3 stuff they would have had my money. I have no reason to buy this now. I don't really care about the other alphas and gem fighter.

Mode

30 second load times? Holy crap. I like how things like that are usually never mentioned in people's impressions. Good thing there's UMD Loader.

Lyte Edge

Mode said:
30 second load times? Holy crap. I like how things like that are usually never mentioned in people's impressions. Good thing there's UMD Loader.

He said "30 sec MATCH," not load times. :lol

Load times in SFA3 Max are short. How many times does it need to be said?

I want a DS version.

:Motorbass said:
Sure it looks better, but I wanted to point out the paradox statement greg made there.
Uh, doesn't "unthinkable" there take into account the wireless multiplayer, which the GBA version does not have?

Mode

Lyte Edge said:
He said "30 sec MATCH," not load times. :lol

Load times in SFA3 Max are short. How many times does it need to be said?

lol, reading comprehension FTW.

mosaic

go eat paint
Wow, LyteEdge, it's like you're parrying the misinformation a la 3rd Strike :) One knee-jerk comment after another, just PARRY PARRY PARRY PARRY.

Yeh, load times in Alpha 3 MAX are awesome -- about a minute to boot and 5 seconds or so between matches.

Whatta great port... all the modes and rebalancing of the DC game, all the animation from the 4MB RAM cart Saturn game, plus extra modes and characters to boot.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I guess I won't be buying this then as I already purchased Alpha 3 for the PSone a few months ago. If Capcom had included all the extra Alpha 3 stuff they would have had my money. I have no reason to buy this now. I don't really care about the other alphas and gem fighter.

Do you mean the PSP version or the Alpha collection? Cause the PSP version is the most featured pack complete of any Alpha 3 game before it. The Alpha collection on the other hand, the more limited arcade versions though.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Do you mean the PSP version or the Alpha collection? Cause the PSP version is the most featured pack complete of any Alpha 3 game before it. The Alpha collection on the other hand, the more limited arcade versions though.

Sorry, perhaps I should have rephrased that to be more clear about what i was refering to. I was refering to the conversation about the PS2 version of Alpha 3 on the compilation disc.

How hard can it be to port a game from the PSP to the PS2 anyways?

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Sorry, perhaps I should have rephrased that to be more clear about what i was refering to. I was refering to the conversation about the PS2 version of Alpha 3 on the compilation disc.

How hard can it be to port a game from the PSP to the PS2 anyways?
Apparently not very hard...

But would it be profitable? Wouldn't the sales of one eat away from the other?

Top Bottom