• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

stn

Got some questions about Laura.

1. Do you guys fish with cr. mk? Is it considered good enough to be used like Ryu's cr. mk, for example?

2. Say you land a blocked LP elbow but you don't know what your opponent is going to do (ex. reversal SRK). What do you do? The answer is obvious when your opponent is conditioned to block, but I want to know about the opposite situation.

Thanks.

Whales

Banned
What do you guys think of seimitsu buttons and lever for a stick? I could choose that or the hrap4 with hayabusa buttons + lever.

This is the first stick I might buy, so what do you guys think?

1. Do you guys fish with cr. mk? Is it considered good enough to be used like Ryu's cr. mk, for example?

2. Say you land a blocked LP elbow but you don't know what your opponent is going to do (ex. reversal SRK). What do you do? The answer is obvious when your opponent is conditioned to block, but I want to know about the opposite situation.

Thanks.
Not a Laura player myself but as to your second question, LP elbow is -2 on block. If they throw out any light move, they'll win if you try to do anything afterwards. If they throw out any medium move that's 5 frames, they'll win if you try to do anything afterwards.

Don't do anything after a blocked lp elbow, as you're in a dangerous position.

EDIT: I'm assuming you're playing against competent players or players who have played against laura before.

Skilletor

What do you guys think of seimitsu buttons and lever for a stick? I could choose that or the hrap4 with hayabusa buttons + lever.

If it's your first stick, I'd say try out the stock hori parts. The Hayabusa and buttons are both really good (hayabusa is my favorite stick).

Seimitsu parts are great, but if it's your first stick, you're not likely to notice much of a difference.

Neoxon

That depends, are they the new Hayabusa buttons with the matte finish? If so, you should be good.

x Misogi

Thanks.

I'll fish with CR.MK or CR.HP to be honest. Usually at least with cr.hp i'll do it at a range where they'll have to walk into it and cancel into MP Elbow

After blocked light elbow, i'll just crouchblock and wait. I'm starting to run into a lot of people who think it's unsafer than it really is (it's -2 iirc) and try to get a free throw off of it. So usually block, and if they don't walk backwards i'll do a late tech

Just reached Ultra Gold (6501) and now I'm reluctant to hop back in and fight :\

Shito

Thanks.
1. cr.MK is good but it's not "cr.MK Ryu good". It doesn't reach that far, and it can get counter-poked easily by characters with better footsies than Laura's. Same for cr.HP, they do "linger" quite a lot. I'm playing against a competent Karin a lot, and it's best not to throw those out too much or be too predictable with them. Mixing-up with st.LK xx LP elbow as an OS is a very very good alternative.

2. Don't do anything. You just block, and you tech a throw a few frames after the reversal window. That way if your opponent knows Laura and throw out a 3f or 4f you will block it, if he tries to throw you will tech, and if does nothing you get the throw. The timing is quite strict though, and if you do it too early you will get hit.

Whales

Banned
If it's your first stick, I'd say try out the stock hori parts. The Hayabusa and buttons are both really good (hayabusa is my favorite stick).

Seimitsu parts are great, but if it's your first stick, you're not likely to notice much of a difference.

I wanted to get the hori one but everyone said the buttons were horrible and I saw the new updated model ( that is told to have less input lag too) so I might as well buy that one.

I was just wondering how seimitsu stacks up to hayabusa. Maybe I shouldn't care that much about buttons after all

That depends, are they the new Hayabusa buttons with the matte finish? If so, you should be good.

Yeah, that one. Good to hear. It's expensive af here in canada :(

Thanks.

1. It's a pretty good move to check/punish whiffs imo. On opponent's blocked sweep I'll often do cr.MK xx LP Elbow as a punish since the range is really good and you can start the mixup.

2. Block and late tech. You pretty much lose to anything if your opponent pressing something afterward.

Skilletor

I wanted to get the hori one but everyone said the buttons were horrible and I saw the new updated model ( that is told to have less input lag too) so I might as well buy that one.

I was just wondering how seimitsu stacks up to hayabusa. Maybe I shouldn't care that much about buttons after all

Yeah, that one. Good to hear. It's expensive af here in canada :(

They've since revised the buttons. Any stick with the matte buttons is good, they're just as good as Sanwa, imo.

Thanks.

cr.mk is good for pokes, especially since it can cancel into her light elbow or even her v-skill dash. If you're fishing for counter pokes, cr.hp buffered into medium elbow and st.lk buffered very quickly into light elbow work better.

You're -2, so generally you don't wanna press anything and just block/late tech. But if you notice that your opponent is attempting to take their turn after the blocked elbow with a move that has 6 frames of start up, you can sneak another light punch into there since it's a 3 frame jab.

This man speaks the truth. TBH I think I am starting to prefer the hayabusa buttons now as well. The shorter throw for them is really nice.

Also if you do go for the Hayabusa stick and you feel comfortable opening it up I'd suggest a 2lb JLF spring to replace the stock one.

Turn on counterhit with ken and do cr fierce xx mk tatsu, then let the fun commence.

82xvMj.gif

You can also do cHP, fireball, ex fireball, ex tatsu which is a pretty fun ranged combo. Too bad you can't cancel fireballs into v-trigger unless it's point blank.

Durden77

I haven't gotten as nearly as much time with Guile as I would like to, but over this past week I finally sweated the last bit of that filthy Nash out of my system and am playing pure Guile again. It clicked. And fuck if he's not more fun than ever before. He really is his pure zoner-ass self, and if you play him as such, you will succeed.

Shadoken

So tomorrow being Tuesday and all , are we gonna get a look at this month's character?

My Guess is either Juri/Rog ( Just in time for Story DLC )
Rog is the guy who rescued that Psycho power Kid right? And Juri has been seen in Guile and Cammy story. So she is a lot more relevant to the story than Ibuki.

I really want it to be Urien , but he is obviously being saved for last.

I hope we get more than six characters for s2.
Slow and steady seems better for balance and bug testing, but I do worry that a hard cap of six would result in safe choices in a misguided attempt to increase sales. Season 1 has a lot of variety even Balrog and Guile don't do anything for me. Another season like that would be appreciated.

Neoxon

So tomorrow being Tuesday and all , are we gonna get a look at this month's character?

Rog is the guy who rescued that Psycho power Kid right? And Juri has been seen in Guile and Cammy story. So she is a lot more relevant to the story than Ibuki.

Judging by the reveal image & how Capcom's been listing the DLC characters since then, it's either Balrog or Ibuki this month.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";203822130]
82xvMj.gif

You can also do cHP, fireball, ex fireball, ex tatsu which is a pretty fun ranged combo. Too bad you can't cancel fireballs into v-trigger unless it's point blank.[/QUOTE]

If you do mk tatsu you can do a lk tatsu after. It wont come out using the regular tatsu motion so you have to reverse it...but then it goes backwards unless you wait for them to fly over your head in which case it will go forward but you will still end up on the other side of them in which case you can sometimes get an ex dp, but you gotta do that backwards too. If you throw V trigger in there it gets even nuttier with the side switches.

Devid905

I'm guessing Juri will be released next, since she's the only unreleased DLC character who's been featured in Story mode more often than Ibuki, Balrog and Urien. Seems like a perfect set up for her reveal to me....

Shadoken

Slow and steady seems better for balance and bug testing, but I do worry that a hard cap of six would result in safe choices in a misguided attempt to increase sales. Season 1 has a lot of variety even Balrog and Guile don't do anything for me. Another season like that would be appreciated.

Season 2 Absolutely needs more than 6 characters.
Season 1 has less because we also got the main game itself this year which has 16 characters. I hope season 2 has 10 additional characters. Just like SSF4.

We already know Akuma,Sagat,Sakura are like Guaranteed spots ( like 3 shotos right there). Then there are very popular fan favs like Dudley,Cody. 6 characters barely gives any room for adding risky niche characters like Birdie. Or with redoing like Dhalsim.

10 is a good number. 3 Mainstream , 3 Fan favs , 3 not in SF4 (Q,Oro,Sodom..etc ) and 1 new character.

Besides once we get the last season 1 character in August. There is going to be at least half a year in terms of dev time for Season 2. Then an additional months for tweaking and balancing while distributing the characters themselves.

I thought we we're getting The story mode this month?

Its in June.

SephLuis

Juri this month. I think

I guess that rog story with that kid might tie with urien appearance in a story mode for season 2.

I doubt we will get only story node for the current season at least.

Shadoken

Juri this month. I think

I guess that rog story with that kid might tie with urien appearance in a story mode for season 2.

I doubt we will get only story node for the current season at least.

You dont think Urien will be in the cinematic story mode? They might just add his Model at least in one of the updates. Or better yet we might even be able to play against him like in MKX story.

Skilletor

I think 8-9 characters would be good. one each month through september, and then several months to get used to all the characters for capcup. It would also be a nice buffer between the last character and the next series.

SephLuis

You dont think Urien will be in the cinematic story mode? They might just add his Model at least in one of the updates. Or better yet we might even be able to play against him like in MKX story.

I dont think urien will show. They will probably focus on necalli story and urien might show at the end as in "to be continued" kinda of thing.

Shito

Vryu' s Laura is really ahead of the pack right now in terms of movements and setups.
So many things to steal from him, my head is spinning. @__@

KingBroly

Banned
I'm going to hate it when they release an actual Arcade Mode for SF5 that acts as an epilogue for their shitty story mode, they'll go 'Arcade Mode was always in our plans, because it was part our story.'

I'm going to hate it when they release an actual Arcade Mode for SF5 that acts as an epilogue for their shitty story mode, they'll go 'Arcade Mode was always in our plans, because it was part our story.'

If they make an arcade mode instead of actually putting in good new SP/MP features...

KAL2006

Banned
So we are due for new character reveal soon. Going by previous reveals it should be any time soon. I expect sometime tomorrow and I bet it's Balrog simolky because he will be featured in Story mode with the shadalo focus.

Big Brett

I know it's fun to speculate but it's surely going to be Balrog, as indicated by the order these are placed, and the order they've come out so far.

dlcsc-noscale.jpg

Neoxon

I know it's fun to speculate but it's surely going to be Balrog, as indicated by the order these are placed, and the order they've come out so far.

dlcsc-noscale.jpg
Actually, the way Capcom listed the characters afterwards had Ibuki before Balrog, hence the debate.

Shadoken

If this does turn out to be the order . It just seems so stupid on Capcom's part. Like what is the purpose of saying "??? DLC Character " if they are just following that list.

I want it to be Rog because I need dat Rog theme asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom