• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woo hoo. Injustice 2 stream today, Street Fighter 5 character tomorrow.

Mass Effect Andromeda gameplay and Injustice 2 character reveal next week too!

Says "that topic doesn't exist".

Managed to take a screenshot.

s08M786.png

Village

Hard to say when we don't really know much about her, but her personality/character design just does nothing for me.

Considering the Capcom Unity blog posts usually go up around now, pretty sure it's safe to say it ain't happening today.

I'm more into the potential Kolin outfit than her normal outfit

Here's a rough approx. how I viewed it when I came into a matchup

Grappler
Keepaway
Invincible meterless specials
None of the above

You needed to approach the match up of a character with a invincible reversal differently. It was always an option where you had to aware they could use it. It's the same when you fight a character that has a 3f normal, you know there's something you can't get away with as much.

"But EX moves are still there and more characters had EX moves for invincible reversal, how is it different?"

Cost! EX move, you're spending meter and risking life and I can see when you have EX meter to use it. I just need to type you as a player who likes to use EX meter to start/steal offense (EX fireball) or do extra damage (ending in EX moves or Super) to figure when you might EX reversal.

When you only risk life and I have no other tell you could do something invincible, I have to be wary of it the entire match.

We had invincible meterless moves in fighting games for about 30 years. Capcom fucked up other aspects of the characters that had them not the meterless invincible specials themselves. This change is coddling the shitty players who want to mash buttons.
What you see as a plus is a massive negative to me. It was horrible dealing with endless waves of Ryus, Kens and Necallis that constantly threw out dragon punches on every whiff, every other wakeup and even for mid screen long limbs. It felt completely thoughtless and I felt strongly that scrubby players benefited way more from it than high level players who would do their best to emulate pro players who don't mash DP like it's going out of style. I did not enjoy constantly having to back off Ryus, Kens and Necallis simply because of a meterless threat almost no one else in the game possessed and I found it monumentally dumb that all three constantly had fully stocked meter for critical arts that capped off their super damaging crush counter combos thanks to never having to invest meter mid match to protect themselves like Ibuki, Karin and other metered reversal users.

Frankly, I found meterless DPs dumb and lazy. It made me think less of those players and the fact that I could go on a tear against them in season 2 simply because they now had exactly 1 option less than before (metered now that meterless DPs mostly died) makes me chuckle.
It's fine if you don't give certain characters any real reversal option, as long as their other capabilities are buffed to compare.

• Vega's V-reversal should be better, and his CA should at least be a wakeup option.
  • Birdie doesn't need it but swap the armor frames for EX Bullhead (in V-Trigger) and EX Bullhorn.
  • FANG's wakeup is fine to me, but his DAMAGE NEEDS A BUFF. Either buff the poison or buff the normals or buff his overall mobility but buff SOMETHING.
  • Balrog's EX screw upper should have frame 1 armor. Nerf his damage though.
  • Urien's fine, it's just his incredible normals that makes me want to jump off a bridge.
  • Rashid IMO is one of the more balanced members of the cast right now.

[*]Alex's EX charged slash should have frame 1 armor. But that should be the extent of his wakeup options. Make his neutral and offense better damn it
  • Dhalsim doesn't need any changes to his wakeup IMO. Maybe make the CA not as easy to low profile or something?
  • Laura doesn't need one.
  • Gief's offensive capabilities are good enough that his defense should be a bit lacking IMO. His V-skill provides a good way to turn the tides if you guess correctly.
  • R. Mika's problem has never been about her wakeup options and that still hasn't changed now.
His mid-range game, slow/short reaching powerbomb and hard knockdown game are the main issues. Reversing nerfs on st.mp, cr.mp and adding an improved spiral DDT solve pretty much all of that in a single stroke (good luck getting a new move for a meager small update, though). His powerbomb could be either slow and slightly farther reaching or faster and no farther reaching than it currently is, but something should change about that move because it is too slow and too stubby for a command grab on a so called grappler.

Edit: Somehow I forgot his wakeup game and his somewhat lacking AA game, but everyone already knows those. A metered air knee strike kills two birds with one stone, but for the conservatives a frame 1 EX elbow slash at least improves his wakeup game slightly (even if he is still free to grabs).

GODDAMN IT, now I'm actually excited for Helen. Didn't expect a zoner to be the first new character so I'm going in with higher expectations than I originally expected.

One of the silhouettes apparently looked like Iori from KoF so this theory started circulating. EDIT: Beaten by kirblar

I personally doubt it but hey, nothing's impossible.

Lulubop

Aside from Helen and presumably the other girl, the silhouettes seems like some beefy ass bulky dudes. Gonna be some big boys this season

Helen and Azam are a lock.

One of them looked like a ninja.

One is swole as FUCK.

The last is too vague to tell.
Would it kill them to put a big girl in this game?
Agreed. But not many people would buy the inevitable Christmas themed swimsuit costumes.

And the Halloween themed swimsuit costumes. And the Lunar New Year themed swimsuit costumes. And the Anniversary themed swimsuit costumes. And the Summer swimsuit costumes.

@Solar powered Pre-canned setups and pressing +buttons is just as "lazy" and "Brain-dead" as DP'ing when you're in trouble.

Karin for example can keep pressing sweep or her c.mp over and over again waiting to confirm into damage. Her normals are stupid, and her throw range makes her oki pretty easy up close. I don't see how that is any less lazy than mashing a DP. I love Karin btw '-)

We are always going to go in circles on this one though, i think it really comes down to what character you play and who you face. If you didn't play as many Kens/Necalli players I doubt you would be so adverse to invincible DP, in fact, GAF is the first place I've heard of it before. In SF4, the common complaint wasn't that DP was so good, but you could make it safe with meter.

You guys are pretty gong-ho that the game is now more fair with those characters having to use meter now, I wouldn't be so sure your opinion is the majority of the player user base.

Lulubop

One is swole as FUCK.

The last is too vague to tell.Agreed. But not many people would buy the inevitable Christmas themed swimsuit costumes.

And the Halloween themed swimsuit costumes. And the Lunar New Year themed swimsuit costumes. And the Anniversary themed swimsuit costumes. And the Summer swimsuit costumes.

The last one is a real wild card, like wtf is even going on there?

I imagine the pictures will become larger and clearer as we get closer to their release dates.

Who knows, they might even show off a bit of a tease for the next one when they announce Helen. Though it's unlikely since this is Capcpom.

BlizzKrut

Banned

One is swole as FUCK.

The last is too vague to tell.Agreed. But not many people would buy the inevitable Christmas themed swimsuit costumes.

The big guy looks nothing like Azam, I don't think he's coming this season.

Mizerman

One is swole as FUCK.

I still believe that's Satsuki.

Right? I mean, it's like they just threw in that silhouette just to screw with people in some way.

Ryce

I don't think any of the four remaining characters currently exist in Street Fighter lore (no Azam, Dolls, et cetera); I think they'll be brand new in the vein of Rashid and Laura.

kJ5IpgA.png

That doesn't look anything like Azam or Iori to me.

BlizzKrut

Banned
I don't think any of the four remaining characters currently exist in Street Fighter lore (no Azam, Dolls, et cetera); I think they'll be brand new in the vein of Rashid and Laura.

I completely agree, aside from the ninja, I'm a bit uncertain on that one, but the rest looks completely new to me.

Helen didn't exist in the SF universe before SF5 and she's making it in. Which would then justify Azam making it in too.
(Please don't say that Helen = Kolin, It's not Kolin that's making it in, it's Helen. Her default costume will be Helen and her name will be Helen)

It's possible that Azam might not make it in and that the remaining 4 might be straight up never-before-seen characters.

Lulubop

I for sure think the Azam is one of the characters, and I used to think that the other 4 were completely new never before seen characters ever but iunno now. I don't think Ed is making it this season tho.

Scotia

Banned
Helen didn't exist in the SF universe before SF5 and she's making it in. Which would then justify Azam making it in too.
(Please don't say that Helen = Kolin, It's not Kolin that's making it in, it's Helen. Her default costume will be Helen and her name will be Helen)

Didn't the leak say that her name would Kolin?

I might have forgotten, but when were they classed as 'new to the SF universe'? I thought they've just never been playable in a previous SF game.

She hasn't been playable before. That's what Capcom was getting at.

"Akuma is only the start of season 2," Street Fighter 5's director, Takayuki Nakayama, said through a translator. "The other 5 characters will be brand new to the Street Fighter universe," he added.

If he meant playable, he would have said so. Brand new to the street fighter ROSTER would imply they've never been playable, street fighter UNIVERSE implies they've never even shown up in any other mainline street fighter.

is the leak even real?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Won't know for sure until we get some official footage/details.

Scotia

Banned
is the leak even real?

sc0as3k.png

Doesn't confirm anything, but it makes the leak a bit more believable.

"Akuma is only the start of season 2," Street Fighter 5's director, Takayuki Nakayama, said through a translator. "The other 5 characters will be brand new to the Street Fighter universe," he added.

If he meant playable, he would have said so. Brand new to the street fighter ROSTER would imply they've never been playable, street fighter UNIVERSE implies they've never even shown up in any other mainline street fighter.

Fair enough. Let's just see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom