• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCarter

He used to claim it was because the game wasn't crazy enough for his liking, though now I get the impression he just parrots the established negatives that the community complains about because it's probably what his casual audience wants.

It's fine that he doesn't like the game, but the way he spins that into making content rubs me the wrong way.

Of course he's entitled to his own opinion and if he doesn't like it that's fine. I just don't like the hypocrisy of "casuals" this and "casuals" that when SF3 did far worse commercially than SF5. He doesn't even list the inprovements and modes the game does have since that other dire video he did a year ago and just rambles on and on about x, y, and z because it suits his current agenda.

I'm just annoyed with him, not because I don't agree with him about some aspects of the game, because I definitely do, but because he's misinforming his "casual" audience about the game and any content or features it might have added since or will be adding in the near future. He's like the Fox News of fighting games.

Max has been down on sfv since the betas, and it's unfortunate he has such a massive casual audience who parrot everything he says.

Since USF4 and with SFV when I really started paying attention to the FGC, Max was one of the easily accessible go-to people for videos and thoughts/opinions. Now I can't stomach they guy and just see Chad Kroeger when he's on screen.

MrCarter

Bruh if you gonna get annoyed when someone craps on SFV, you're gonna have a bad time.

You're right. It's just that I actually like Max so I was disappointed when he was rambling on about things to his audience that are very questionable. Then to say he might not do anymore content, even though a massive portion of his audience wants it, kind of stinks.

jett

D-Member
Pretty much.

djKoDaB.jpg

Meanwhile Tekken 7
50E54Wu.gif

Tekken 7's slomo gimmick is one of the greatest innovations in a fighter.

Village

Oh my lord. Maximilian just said on a recent video of that "SFV looks so similar to SFIV...just a bit less interesting". I don't mean to be rude but he seriously needs to go get his eyes tested. He goes on about how to "casuals" it might apparently look the same and that's why they probably didn't pick it up because of the same type of colour, proportions and visuals etc. *faceplam*

I know Max is a KI and Mahvel shill but when he drones about losing casuals when he was a big fan of SFIII, which failed commercially, it irks me a little due to the hypocrisy. Then to round it off, he says he won't cover any new characters unless he likes the look of them, even though a lot of misinformed people go to his channel to see the character breakdowns.

I think the point about sfv's visuals has merit in a very different place, its a longer conversation about the art style of SF vs what the casual audience pays attention to.

I don't think him liking sf3 is hypocritical, guy said multiple times that sf3 isn't really much of a SF game and failed commercially, and said that sf5 in many ways followed the same routed and failed financially. He just likes how the game plays more.

However it is unfortunate about the characters. But is there anything we can do? He plays what he enjoys, if he isn't enjoying it or interested in it, he isn't playing it. Its like when people do character requests on his streams, he just says he plays the characters he wants to play at that time. Sucks, but he's the one uploading the content

He used to claim it was because the game wasn't crazy enough for his liking, though now I get the impression he just parrots the established negatives that the community complains about because it's probably what his casual audience wants.

It's fine that he doesn't like the game, but the way he spins that into making content rubs me the wrong way.

Max generally thinks what he thinks about sfv and isn't really fond of playing it. He does what he does and likes what he likes because he likes it.

Also he has a right to make content critical of something he doesn't like, as does everyone on youtube. I don't get upset when someone uploads a new video of " whats wrong with sonic" well I do when they spread missinformation. I don't think max is doing that though

Village

That's what I don't understand. What was so good about the beta's that he didn't like in season 1 and onwards lol. He's so reactionary.

Characters were different

The sense of wonder is gone because he figured out combo variation in most characters is minimal at best if not non existent and what he wants to do in a fighting game is have fun, and when he's doing the same thing as everyone else he isn't having fun really.

This point is a point I have seen made by people who like SFV too by the way

MrCarter

I think the point about sfv's visuals has merit in a very different place, its a longer conversation about the art style of SF vs what the casual audience pays attention to.

I don't think him liking sf3 is hypocritical, guy said multiple times that sf3 isn't really much of a SF game and failed commercially, and said that sf5 in many ways followed the same routed and failed financially. He just likes how the game plays more.

However it is unfortunate about the characters. But is there anything we can do? He plays what he enjoys, if he isn't enjoying it or interested in it, he isn't playing it. Its like when people do character requests on his streams, he just says he plays the characters he wants to play at that time. Sucks, but he's the one uploading the content

Max generally thinks what he thinks about sfv and isn't really fond of playing it. He does what he does and likes what he likes because he likes it.

Also he has a right to make content critical of something he doesn't like, as does everyone on youtube. I don't get upset when someone uploads a new video of " whats wrong with sonic" well I do when they spread missinformation. I don't think max is doing that though

I know all of that but when he goes around misinforming his audience about a game looking like the previous one when it's far from it and not even stating what Capcom may have done to improve it with other modes, features and upcoming content since his last "real talk" (more like fake talk) video, that just sucks. What frustrates me about Max is that he follows the herd and states things that the casual audience want to hear just so he can get more views.

Characters were different

The sense of wonder is gone because he figured out combo variation in most characters is minimal at best if not non existent and what he wants to do in a fighting game is have fun, and when he's doing the same thing as everyone else he isn't having fun really.

This point is a point I have seen made by people who like SFV too by the way

Again. He contradicts himself. Because in the very same video he says he loves Akuma and thinks he's very fun to play. As for combos...this isn't KI. Combos can be fun but he should know that is only part of a fighting game like Street Fighter. To be fair, sometimes I don't think he knows what he wants and like I said just goes along with the status quo.

Village

I know all of that but when he goes around misinforming his audience about a game looking like the previous one when it's far from it and not even stating what Capcom may have done to improve it with other modes, features and upcoming content since his last "real talk" (more like fake talk) video, that just sucks. What frustrates me about Max is that he follows the herd and states things that the casual audience want to hear just so he can get more views.
Eh, a game looking like another one is a bit more than just graphically. But again I don't actually agree with him, there's a point in there, about something else. But i don't agree with him.
What has capcom done? Its nothing really to talk about until all that good shit is in the game, and the only thing that is actually in the game, were the small qol improvements and story mode.
Why do you think he's just following the heard, maybe just maybe, there are a bunch of people with same opinions shitting on SFV for the same reason, because they all actually don't like SFV. Maybe when you have professional players outright saying SFV is shit and they only play it for money, maybe they don't like SFV
Maybe a bunch of don't like SFV, is that hard to grasp, maybe people don't like the video game that you like. And that's ok.
Yes i understand how it feels, when it feels like someone is shitting on a game you like, for no reason because its the " cool" thing to do. I like sonic for god sakes, media outlets came back and shit on good sonic games because " eh fuck it saying sonic is bad even though our reviews say other wise is funny " . I get that , it sucks.
But not all critcism of a thing I like is that, sometimes the thing I like in the eyes of a great many is just... bad. You keep up bringing " just regurgitating the views of casuals to get views" or whatever conspiracy theory you came up with. Ok , explain why professional players are saying the same thing.

Again. He contradicts himself. Because in the very same video he says he loves Akuma and thinks he's very fun to play. As for combos...this isn't KI. Combos can be fun but he should know that is only part of a fighting game like Street Fighter. To be fair, sometimes I don't think he knows what he wants and like I said just goes along with the status quo.

Yes, he didn't say he hates all characters, he says he's not fond of most of them and frequently says that akuma allows the combo variation he plays and is actually fun. So he isn't contradicting himself, he says this all the time. Also you don't have to be KI to have interesting and different combo's, because you know Street fighter 3 and 4 had those. People felt like there were more variation in those games, while SFV is a hell of a lot more strait forward in what you do. He knows exactly what he wants, he wants characters to be buffed and for them to be able to do weird shit.

It's still kinda funny that combos became this huge thing in SF in some folks eyes. Like what...

People liked the freedom SF4 gave them with combo and play variation that sf5 doesn't. People want to express themselves through play

Skilletor

SF4 was the first SF for tons of people, and more than that, it's the first SF that a lot of people played seriously, so to them, that is foundational SF. For me, that's alpha 2, for older people it's HF or ST.

SF is like Final Fantasy. Each one plays different enough that people think, 'this is what SF is to me.'

If people think sf4 is sf, there's a lot to dislike about sf5. For me, this game feels like alpha 3 and sf3 had a baby, so I enjoy it a lot.

MrCarter

Eh, a game looking like another one is a bit more than just graphically. But again I don't actually agree with him, there's a point in there, about something else. But i don't agree with him.
What has capcom done? Its nothing really to talk about until all that good shit is in the game, and the only thing that is actually in the game, were the small qol improvements and story mode.
Why do you think he's just following the heard, maybe just maybe, there are a bunch of people with same opinions shitting on SFV for the same reason, because they all actually don't like SFV. Maybe when you have professional players outright saying SFV is shit and they only play it for money, maybe they don't like SFV
Maybe a bunch of don't like SFV, is that hard to grasp, maybe people don't like the video game that you like. And that's ok.
Yes i understand how it feels, when it feels like someone is shitting on a game you like, for no reason because its the " cool" thing to do. I like sonic for god sakes, media outlets came back and shit on good sonic games because " eh fuck it saying sonic is bad even though our reviews say other wise is funny " . I get that , it sucks.
But not all critcism of a thing I like is that, sometimes the thing I like in the eyes of a great many is just... bad. You keep up bringing " just regurgitating the views of casuals to get views" or whatever conspiracy theory you came up with. Ok , explain why professional players are saying the same thing.

I don't know. Max lately has been always about maximising his views with ridiculous and fake reactions but that's something I expect on YouTube nowadays to be honest. There are a bunch of things improved in the game since last year but since it's not "Arcade mode"he obviously doesn't care. I doubt it's because he thinks pros think the game is "shit" because he even said himself, he doesn't even follow the game competively. Anyway, I know we'll disagree on this mate so we'll leave it before we go around in circles.

Yes, he didn't say he hates all characters, he says he's not fond of most of them and frequently says that akuma allows the combo variation he plays and is actually fun. So he isn't contradicting himself, he says this all the time. Also you don't have to be KI to have interesting and different combo's, because you know Street fighter 3 and 4 had those. People felt like there were more variation in those games, while SFV is a hell of a lot more strait forward in what you do. He knows exactly what he wants, he wants characters to be buffed and for them to be able to do weird shit.

He did contradict himself because in the video he says he loves what they did with Akuma and loves how fun he is due to combo varioation - but there are many characters like that in this game, like Urien, Ibuki, Karin, Guile etc. SF3 had combos but I don't think they were as combo heavy and convoluted as SF4. SF5 does have combos (feels weird to talk about this since SF is more than that) but relies more on fundamentals and honesty to succeed - unless you don't play Balrog of course lol.

Edzi

I don't know. Max lately has been always about maximising his views with ridiculous and fake reactions but that's something I expect on YouTube nowadays to be honest. There are a bunch of things improved in the game since last year but since it's not "Arcade mode"he obviously doesn't care. I doubt it's because he thinks pros think the game is "shit" because he even said himself, he doesn't even follow the game competively. Anyway, I know we'll disagree on this mate so we'll leave it before we go around in circles.

He did contradict himself because in the video he says he loves what they did with Akuma and loves how fun he is due to combo varioation - but there are many characters like that in this game, like Urien, Ibuki, Karin, Guile etc. SF3 had combos but I don't think they were as combo heavy and convoluted as SF4. SF5 does have combos (feels weird to talk about this since SF is more than that) but relies more on fundamentals and honesty to succeed - unless you don't play Balrog of course lol.

Not sure I agree on SFV in particular relying on fundamentals and honesty, but you're spot on with his weird wishy-washy/hypocritical stances with the game. He claims the game isn't crazy enough and that he likes random unbalanced games like SF3 and Marvel, but refuses to acknowledge that SFV's top tiers have essentially turned the game into just that. Top tier V-Triggers are basically X-Factor. Akuma is also pretty honest compared to most of the cast and he's definitely not the only character with combo variation (especially considering Akuma's combo's aren't even that deep, though he uses him as a shining example of what he wishes the game was).

Him not liking the game is probably genuine and totally fair, but I feel like he tries too hard to find reasons that justify his feelings in order to make videos, and so he ends up saying a lot that ends up being inconsistent or just plain wrong.

I was also one of those people who was initially brought into the FGC through Max and his videos, but the more you see of him and his transformation into another shitty streamer, the harder it is to take his opinions seriously. I bet the main reason he bitches about the whole casuals/arcade mode thing is so that he can make another fake hype and rage boss video for his channel.

Mizerman

People liked the freedom SF4 gave them with combo and play variation that sf5 doesn't. People want to express themselves through play

Meh. If SF4 was the first SF that people started to get involved in, that's one thing. To me, I couldn't enjoy myself in 4 because it just bored me as it went on. Stuff like Alpha 2, 3 and even V fits my style more.

I respect Max's grind. Some stuff I don't agree with, but I find his content enjoyable.

And calling him a Marvel shill is lol. He's highlighted the flaws of MVC3 countless times and even talks about how much he dislikes certain mechanics of the game. He's more of a MVC1 fan, anyway. Definitely not a shill.

Village

Not sure I agree on SFV in particular relying on fundamentals and honesty, but you're spot on with his weird wishy-washy/hypocritical stances with the game. He claims the game isn't crazy enough and that he likes random unbalanced games like SF3 and Marvel, but refuses to acknowledge that SFV's top tiers have essentially turned the game into just that. Top tier V-Triggers are basically X-Factor. Akuma is also pretty honest compared to most of the cast and he's definitely not the only character with combo variation (especially considering Akuma's combo's aren't even that deep, though he uses him as a shining example of what he wishes the game was).
He doesn't refuse to acknowledge anything, maybe he wants, and has stated on multiple occasions that he wants the rest of the roster to be on that levels and they aren't.

V triggers aren't X factor, no where near.

I was also one of those people who was initially brought into the FGC through Max and his videos, but the more you see of him and his transformation into another shitty streamer, the harder it is to take his opinions seriously. I bet the main reason he bitches about the whole casuals/arcade mode thing is so that he can make another fake hype and rage boss video for his channel.
What does " transformation into another shitty streamer" even mean?

Also what does your weird ass conspiracy theory even mean? He responds to why he hasn't been doing the requests of playing SFV... so he can make another video he likes for the channel? He was going to do that anyway?

And what do you mean fake hype and rage? I watch him stream those, he genuinely gets mad and reacts to things.

You on some crazy ass everything is connected because I hate someone type shit. Maybe people don't like the game you like fucking jesus

So you have created a " max only cares about views" conspiracy theory, despite him on the regular playing fighting games so dead that they would statistically get worse views than SFV because he enjoys them.
Then you get up set that he doesn't really care about updates to the game, because it isn't something he wanted or cares about.

Maybe he just doesn't like or care about the game that much. That's ok. You can like the game.

1) i don't think karin has interesting ways to play her or interesting combo's . I think karin is the most boring character to watch, and feels like a flow chart in character form. So I would add them to the list

2) While I do agree, that's why I like Urien, alex and watching ibuki , and like guile, he only plays who he likes to play. He doesn't like how urien plays, he doesn't like ibuki and he doesn't like guile, he strait up says he finds guile boring visually and play wise and wouldn't minded if he was gone. So I don't think he noticed that there was potential in him.

Combos aren't fully how people can express themselves but it's the easiest way to do so. I feel like SFV let's you express yourself in a non traditional way like sf3. But, again, harder to do when the game is so explosive and making a mistake can dunk ya.

Skilletor

I haven't found a YouTube personality I can stand listening to for more than 5 minutes. Don't have am opinion on max's content, but I can't stand listening to him, lol.

kirblar

Crush Counters really crap on a lot of what they were trying to do w/ the rest of SFV's design. It's unfortunate. I suspect they may need to give them heavier damage scaling.

MrCarter

Max is a cool guy and I really like the fact he has made fighting games a career for himself, however, somewhere down like line, I feel like he's lost that sense of identity and just jumps to one game, drops it, then picks it back up again months later because he feels like he has to. Also, these "real talk" tag line videos are also very biased because he makes it seem like they are real "facts" when they are clearly just an opinion piece. But hey, I guess at least he got a lot of views for it. Anyway, I'll stop venting about Maximilian, like I said I think he's a cool guy and wish him the best, but lately I just feel he's lost that "real" identity.

Edzi

He doesn't refuse to acknowledge anything, maybe he wants, and has stated on multiple occasions that he wants the rest of the roster to be on that levels and they aren't.

V triggers aren't X factor, no where near.

What does " transformation into another shitty streamer" even mean?

Also what does your weird ass conspiracy theory even mean? He responds to why he hasn't been doing the requests of playing SFV... so he can make another video he likes for the channel? He was going to do that anyway?

And what do you mean fake hype and rage? I watch him stream those, he genuinely gets mad and reacts to things.

You on some crazy ass everything is connected because I hate someone type shit. Maybe people don't like the game you like fucking jesus

So you have created a " max only cares about views" conspiracy theory, despite him on the regular playing fighting games so dead that they would statistically get worse views than SFV because he enjoys them.
Then you get up set that he doesn't really care about updates to the game, because it isn't something he wanted or cares about.

Maybe he just doesn't like or care about the game that much. That's ok. You can like the game.

1) i don't think karin has interesting ways to play her or interesting combo's . I think karin is the most boring character to watch, and feels like a flow chart in character form. So I would add them to the list

2) While I do agree, that's why I like Urien, alex and watching ibuki , and like guile, he only plays who he likes to play. He doesn't like how urien plays, he doesn't like ibuki and he doesn't like guile, he strait up says he finds guile boring visually and play wise and wouldn't minded if he was gone. So I don't think he noticed that there was potential in him.

If you think those reactions are genuine, then I dunno what to tell you. Most normal people don't yell and scream like that when playing a video game.

Village

Combos aren't fully how people can express themselves but it's the easiest way to do so. I feel like SFV let's you express yourself in a non traditional way like sf3. But, again, harder to do when the game is so explosive and making a mistake can dunk ya.

I agree. I feel like i play a very " me " Balrog and a very " me " urien. But sometimes it isn't advised depending on what happens.

I haven't found a YouTube personality I can stand listening to for more than 5 minutes. Don't have am opinion on max's content, but I can't stand listening to him, lol.

That's cool , as long as you aren't creating conspiracy theories as to why their opinions on video games don't align with yours.

" Oh ego raptor doesn't like sonic games, better Illuminati this shit to find out what it really means "

If you think those reactions are genuine, then I dunno what to tell you. Most normal people don't yell and scream like that when playing a video game.

what? People yell at video games all the time, people yell at talk to and with video games even more when people are with them. Whether it stream form or in real life, its a communal experience. Further more, that's an odd statement to make, when there is documented video of people in the FGC yelling at various fighting games and saying silly and dumb shit or just screaming at exciting shit .

" EY EY EY EY EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY"

I haven't kept up with Max since he did the Marvel series. Then I saw a video of him opening Overwatch loot boxes and shouting at Widowmaker calling her a "dank whore". That turned me off from him.

That said, I really enjoy listening to Brian Kibler now and then. He has been playing and designing card games for most of his adult life, and he's just a generally mature and intelligent person to listen to. I watched a Moonmoon stream and was amused at him dancing with Roadhog to Ghostbusters in between hooks. Generally I don't understand spending egregious time watching streamers instead of actually playing games, though. My time is limited as it is.

The FGC has so few likeable personalities. I have enjoyed some Excellent Adventures at times, but that's all I can think of.

When I think about expressing one's self through gameplay I think about 3S and how much fun I had playing Ibuki in a slippery fashion, hell, I liked doing her frog hop taunt because it was just fun to do. Then I remember hating how she played in 4 because it turned her into this bland setplay vortex churner. I also think 1 frame links are about the least interesting thing in terms of self-development as a player and I think that was a pitfall in player education with 4.

MrCarter

I haven't kept up with Max since he did the Marvel series. Then I saw a video of him opening Overwatch loot boxes and shouting at Widowmaker calling her a "dank whore". That turned me off from him.

Whoa. Yeah day by day I'm getting closer to unsubscribe from his channel.

The FGC has so few likeable personalities. I have enjoyed some Excellent Adventures at times, but that's all I can think of.

Gootecks is cool if he wasn't so mind-numbingly boring. He voice is almost as draining as VesperArcades.

At some level it's all about being optimal anyway. Expressing yourselves is best left when you have a straight lead or you know you are going to win.

Even Necalli's boring ass can do different things. Sometimes I'll trap people in ground pounds because I'm an asshole. It's not fancy dance combos with loops and resets but it's fun to me so I don't know.

FluxWaveZ

I really need to play another character

I need to stop this torture

Playing a character who is largely powerful feels nice. I only started playing Necalli about a week ago, and I've taken to him quite nicely. Though my fundamentals help with that.

It's surprising to me how generally few Necallis there are for how strong he is. He's the least played top 5 character.

FluxWaveZ

Hm, I guess that could explain it, though I would have thought his linearity + his strength would still propel him upwards in popularity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom