• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strike Suit Zero: Director's Cut |OT| - PC, PS4, XBO

Looking weird on Metacritic:
Xbone 66
PC 65 [non Director's Cut]
PS4 77

Wish there was a demo. Seems PS4 demos are more rare.

Not that weird, different sites contributed a review of the game to each, it seems reviewers either got an X1 code or a PS4 code, so the reviews are split in two when they theoretically should be in one hub.

Never played the original version, but I'm pretty happy with this. Reminds me of the Rogue Squadron games a lot and that's a good thing.

IISANDERII

PS4 metacritic dropping, now at 73. Reviews seem to say it's repetitive, is it all dog fights and capital ship attacks? Are there no missions taking place on planets vs ground installations or anything? Space stations?

So I just went blind into purchasing this tonight since FFXIV is down and I spent more on booze tonight than this game costs. Impressions to come.

I thought the game was a cool concept, but its such a waste how they didnt make more use of being in the actual humanoid form with the robot. Since all it really is used for is turning you into a floating turret...

Such a missed opportunity.

Anyways with that out of the way do hope it sells good on all platforms its being re-released on.

You are less mobile when in strike mode, but only in the sense that you're not moving as fast and you don't have continuous thrust. On the other hand, you now have the full three axes of thrust available to you when you dash--you can move up/down and left/right as well as forwards/backwards. In other words, you can circle-strafe the hell out of any capships you come across. Don't just settle for sitting there like you've got your pants around your ankles!

--signed, a former Descent pilot

Put another couple hours into this last night, I'm liking it, but only in short bursts like 1-2 levels at a time. The levels themselves range from 15-25 minutes split into phases, and the combat is pretty repetitive from the 6 levels I have played so far, but I do enjoy it, but would enjoy it less so if I am just playing it straight through.

S1kkZ

I enjoy the game but man, there is a lot of room for improvement. Missions lack variety, nothing has or casts a shadow ( which really hurts the visuals), voice acting and storytelling are terrible. But flying around is fun and the strike mode makes me feel really powerful. It's OK for the price they ask.

I enjoy the game but man, there is a lot of room for improvement. Missions lack variety, nothing has or casts a shadow ( which really hurts the visuals), voice acting and storytelling are terrible. But flying around is fun and the strike mode makes me feel really powerful. It's OK for the price they ask.

I don't really have issues with the voice acting, it is indie after all and I don't expect them to be able to get 'A' or even 'B' list voice acting when their efforts are better spent elsewhere. I have more issues with the lack of variety of missions/enemies, but like you said, I enjoy flying around and feel like a badass in strike mode.

I think my biggest complaint is the time I spend just drifting in space while soemone talks to me for a minute or two before/after the mission parameters, I feel like there has to be a better way for that... I usually spend my time looking around me while that is going on, but there isn't much to really look at except for whatever planet is in the background. I get that they have a story to try and tell, but at least give me something tame to do while that is going on instead of me just twirling in circles waiting for something to do.

Tayaya

Not being able to map pitch+roll to the right stick without swapping the functions of the L and R buttons is tragic. Also - why do I need both sticks to be able to control control pitch? If I could have a pitch/roll stick and then assign yaw only to the other, this would be OK.

The game makes me remember the good old days of space combat, which I like. It's cheesy and the voice acting and such are all below average for a modern game, but flying around and blowin' shit up with plasma cannons and missiles is always fun - the strike suits are awesome.

If they patch in the ability to manually bind controls or at least do the logical thing and just give us a few button layouts like they have BUT make "stick functions" selectable independently of the button layouts, this would alleviate 90% of the control problems I have with the game.

IISANDERII

Bought the Game despite the reviews, fuck it I want to support the genre.

So far ok I guess, the first battle didn't impress me. My problem with the controls is that the thrust button changes depending on what configuration you're in! Normally, it's L1 but then turn into Robotech and now it's up on the left stick, wtf why?

Reminds me of Stellar Assault. I quite like it. Worth the price of admission. My biggest complaint is that you can't have the flight controls inverted but the mech controls normal. I keep ending up shooting lower when I meant to aim higher. I guess I'll adjust but goddamn.

Mengetsu

I wanted to get this game but those controls seem iffy. I like the concept and such but I hope an Ace Combat is announced for PS4 some time in the future.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
You are less mobile when in strike mode, but only in the sense that you're not moving as fast and you don't have continuous thrust. On the other hand, you now have the full three axes of thrust available to you when you dash--you can move up/down and left/right as well as forwards/backwards. In other words, you can circle-strafe the hell out of any capships you come across. Don't just settle for sitting there like you've got your pants around your ankles!

--signed, a former Descent pilot

Im used to other more fast paced mech type of games and this one was a bit let down with how it controlled in the strike mode. overall as mentioned before really was a missed opportunity I think.

Im from the same generation as all the great old school pc space sims so its not like the genre / mindset is something new. just that this didnt meet my expectations unfortunately. The flying part is all grand and such, fantastic effects too but for me the main part was the whole how would the strike suit handle.

S1kkZ

game really grew on me. at mission 8 now and its really fun. the controls now fully "clicked" for me and i love going back to earlier missions (to get the upgrades and medals) and use the strike mode to fuck up everything.

i just dont see the point in using any other ship besides the strike suit. i hope there are other strike suits to unlock.

one thing that really bothers me: the maintheme of the game is "inspired" by the ghost in the shell theme, which is cool. but the way they implemented it into the game sound, is just piss poor. it just doesnt fit in, at all.

and i hope the patch the shadows in for the ps4 version, or give us a 30fps mode with shadows.

Ravek

Banned
Beat the main campaign and loved it. On the last mission of the v2.0 campaign and its hard as shit. I seriously have no idea wtf to do.

Regardless, I can see myself replaying this over and over again. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing my name on the leaderboards (prob not there anymore) and I'm going to try to get into the Top 10 of all missions.

sfried

Woah, Director's Cut is out on PC. Saw it as $2.99 on Steam. Dunno if its because I got Vanilla + all DLC.

In any case, bought again to satiate my growing need of PC space flight sim combat. Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen can't come out soon enough.

Nemesis_

How do you "win" the second battle of the DLC campaign? The one where you have to "push" the enemies back. Everything I do - destroying countless frigates and cruisers - doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Haunted

Existing owners of the regular version get an automatic 85% discount on Steam. Can't complain about that, I say that kind of offer is worth supporting.

IISANDERII

Jesus Mercy that Reynolds voice actor is fucking awful. And she's your CO so you hear her the most.
Not the worst I've ever heard but perhaps in the top 5% of all time in my gaming history, it must've been some special effort to search and find somebody that bad. I honestly wonder how she got the role.

Well my ps4 has 25 games on it and no dust maybe you should clean your appliances more often.

He has heard the call. The stars begin to align.

7A7pCjE.gif

How do you "win" the second battle of the DLC campaign? The one where you have to "push" the enemies back. Everything I do - destroying countless frigates and cruisers - doesn't seem to be doing anything.

That mission was a pain until I figured it out.

Notice the first wave of enemies is comprised of corvettes, a frigate... and some pesky beam+flak platforms. Take care of the corvettes and then proceed to pick up the beam turrets of the platforms (Can be targeted individually).

Your goal is to actually keep your ships alive longer than the enemy (which is hard when those god damn turrets keep beaming them) so they cross the fold points (they go from red to blue but if they get destroyed, you'll quickly lose ground) and allow more of your ships to fold in. When you see an enemy cruiser quickly go for the beam turrets and tear all its weak points apart. Cruisers and carriers actually go down faster than frigates!

It's a long mission (by the end they'll bring all the guns at you) but after some back and forth you should definitely be able to push the enemy back and "change history", heh.

While flawed, it's a shame the game took a pounding in Metacritic because I really want more of this kind or like Omega Boost. I was playing Ace Combat Assault Horizon and wishing I could say "fuck physics" and turn into a mech to gun everything down...

IISANDERII

JESUS SHIT I've done Mission 3 Aftermath 20 times now and I still haven't been able to unlock the damn shield upgrade. What in FUCK

The mission recommends using the stupid Blade Bomber, do you have to use that to get the unlock or something?

repeater

So Strike Suit Zero is part of today's set of deals on the Humble Store Spring Sale. I have two questions that you might be able to help me with:

1) What's GAF's verdict on the game pre- and post-Director's Cut?
2) I think the Humble store version is the original game. If so, is there any upgrade deal available to get the Director's Cut cheap or something?

Top Bottom