• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stupid Question: Opening Ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

3phemeral

Trying to open a few ports on my computer but I'm not entirely sure how to go about doing it.

This is what I need to open up:

TCP 25.80.110.443 or 50000 - 65535
UDP 50000 - 65535

and these are my editable options in my network connection settings:

Name of the IP address of the computer hosting this service on your network:
External Port number for this service:[5 numbers]
Internal Port Numbers: [5 numbers max]

My question is... what goes where?

I need to open a range of ports -- but on the winxp support page, they don't mention anything about the option of inputing a range of ports (50000 - 65535), instead the directions ask to repeat this process for every single port. Either I'm not understanding exactly how this works, or I have to input a separate entry for 50,000 - 65,535... which doesn't make any sense to me. It specifies to input the same number for both Internal and External.

Also, for the hosting IP address, they mention the default is 127.0.0.1... but is this where I'm supposed to put 25.80.110.443 ? *Confused*

fart

Savant
ICF doesn't seem to let you define services as a port range. my suggestion would be to run a different firewall utility. i'm sure there's one out there that will do ranges just fine.

3phemeral

Thanks! I'll check into an alternate Firewall program.

Concerning the IP they listed as "TCP 25.80.110.443 or 50000 - 65535", what does that refer to? Does the TCP number refer to the hosting UP address? Or is 127.0.0.1 perfectly sufficient?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom