• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suda51 and Shinji Mikami want to make a Complete Edition of Killer7, followed by a sequel

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Killer_7a-1024x576.jpg

In this year’s Grasshopper Direct presentation, Suda was joined by Mikami to discuss the upcoming Hella Remastered version of their 2011 game Shadows of the Damned.

However, at the end of the presentation, as the pair discussed their future projects, Mikami stated that he would like to see the return of Killer7, which he co-wrote with Suda.

Originally released for the GameCube and PS2 in 2005, the stylish, violent action game centres on Harman Smith, a wheelchair-bound assassin with seven split personalities which he can make real.
“I’ve realized that I want to stay as hands-on as possible when it comes to game creation, and I’d love to see Suda make a sequel to Killer7,” Mikami said.

“Seriously?” Suda replied, before adding: “Someday we may just see a Killer7 sequel. Or a Complete Edition.”

“What matters most is whether or not you want to make it,” Mikami told him.
Suda replied: “I’d rather make a Complete Edition first. And then Killer11.” Mikami then asked if the sequel would indeed be called Killer11, to which Suda clarified: “I don’t know. Killer7: Something, probably. Maybe Killer7: Beyond.”

It’s then explained that in the existing version of Killer7, the character of Coyote doesn’t speak much, but he was originally planned to have lots of dialogue, which could potentially be reinstated in a new edition of the game.

“Fans would probably love a Complete Edition,” Mikami concluded. “That could actually be doable.”

Suda added: “We’ve have to decide which comes first – Killer7: Beyond, or the Complete Edition.”

In an interview with VGC last month, Suda told us that he “would love to” release Killer7 on current consoles, but said he would need Capcom‘s permission to do so. “I really hope to get it done someday,” he said.

ShadowNate

I hope there's enough interest to buy the sequel or the "complete edition", but I feel that this weird game is way too weird and niche to make significant sales.

Hope I'm wrong.

Crazy timing; I haven't yet played the original but it's always been on my to-do list. The concept is just so fresh and intriguing; at the time I probably appreciated it less due both to being a way different gamer back then, and the AAA/AA side of the industry still being a strong creative melting pot of ideas.

Well, needless to say, the modern AA industry has been struggling to have a presence (due to stupid publishers) and the AAA industry has devolved into remakes, remasters, GAAS and the same 3-4 story templates repeated over and over.

Oh, and 1,253,594 Soulsborne knockoffs.

So in contrast to that, stuff like Killer 7 looks like a much-needed breath of fresh air. Games like this, I feel, are being a lot more appreciated these days because the modern AAA industry (save a scant few) basically seem kinda uninspired by comparison.

Will definitely keep watch over developments for this one!

I hope there's enough interest to buy the sequel or the "complete edition", but I feel that this weird game is way too weird and niche to make significant sales.

Hope I'm wrong.

I'd buy both just to support.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Sigh... why is gaming getting everything backward? Make the sequel first. New engine, new everything.

then you can go back and use that engine to remake the original.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Bro actually said KILLER11

x factor GIF

Speechless. Just speechless. Ive waiting for something, anything since 2005.

He couldn't have just pulled that title out of his ass. I refuse to believe it. The number is too specific. Im sure ideas have been churning in his mind for years.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Bro actually said KILLER11

x factor GIF

Speechless. Just speechless. Ive waiting for something, anything since 2005.

He couldn't have just pulled that title out of his ass. I refuse to believe it. The number is too specific. Im sure ideas have been churning in his mind for years.

He probably just came back from a 7-11 before giving the presentation.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Crazy timing; I haven't yet played the original but it's always been on my to-do list. The concept is just so fresh and intriguing; at the time I probably appreciated it less due both to being a way different gamer back then, and the AAA/AA side of the industry still being a strong creative melting pot of ideas.

Well, needless to say, the modern AA industry has been struggling to have a presence (due to stupid publishers) and the AAA industry has devolved into remakes, remasters, GAAS and the same 3-4 story templates repeated over and over.

Oh, and 1,253,594 Soulsborne knockoffs.

So in contrast to that, stuff like Killer 7 looks like a much-needed breath of fresh air. Games like this, I feel, are being a lot more appreciated these days because the modern AAA industry (save a scant few) basically seem kinda uninspired by comparison.

Will definitely keep watch over developments for this one!

I cant believe you've never played it since you seem to know your stuff. What's stopping you from checking out the PC version?

I still have my Cube copy (in the case complete :messenger_sunglasses:) that I fire up on my old black Wii once a year. Plug that Wavebird in and baby, we got a stew goin.

I cant believe you've never played it since you seem to know your stuff. What's stopping you from checking out the PC version?

I still have my Cube copy (in the case complete :messenger_sunglasses:) that I fire up on my old black Wii once a year. Plug that Wavebird in and baby, we got a stew goin.

Didn't actually know it got a PC re-release until this thread 🤣. It's on Steam tho, and I'd rather it were on GOG. But now that I know, I'll have to check it out.

Funnier part is I had a GC and PS2 that gen and the PS2 version was probably the easier to find but, I remember RE4's PS2 version being graphically gimped and thought there would've been performance issues with the PS2 version of Killer 7. So even if I were inclined to get it back then, I probably wouldn't of since I gave my Gamecube away by that point :/

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Didn't actually know it got a PC re-release until this thread 🤣. It's on Steam tho, and I'd rather it were on GOG. But now that I know, I'll have to check it out.

Funnier part is I had a GC and PS2 that gen and the PS2 version was probably the easier to find but, I remember RE4's PS2 version being graphically gimped and thought there would've been performance issues with the PS2 version of Killer 7. So even if I were inclined to get it back then, I probably wouldn't of since I gave my Gamecube away by that point :/

Yeah the PS2 port of K7 is god awful on so many levels compared to the Cube version. Good thing you skipped it. Mightve tarnished your whole opinion of it.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Makes me so happy to see a K7 thread on here. On page 1 no less.

Hooked up the Wii as soon as I got in from work lol. That Cube backwards compatibility for those early models man, just perfection 🙏🏻

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Good game, I never finished it due to University priorities...

I only remember that I stayed at level 3. I liked the mechanics...

The sound effects, how original the menus were. Now that I have time, I would like to play it again from the beginning.

tommib

I finished this on GameCube back in the day and loved it. The last missions were pretty hard and loading times were a bitch. I almost gave up on it.

Glad I didn’t. Game’s a classic. Hope it gets re-released with a bunch of new content and no loadings, please.

Killer8

Snoop Dogg Yes GIF

I'm surprised it still only got ported to PC. I'd buy up a physical Switch release in a heartbeat.

I also wonder what happened to the Flower, Sun and Rain remaster that Suda said he wanted to do at the time but never materialized.

Wildebeest

I finished this on GameCube back in the day and loved it. The last missions were pretty hard and loading times were a bitch. I almost gave up on it.

Glad I didn’t. Game’s a classic. Hope it gets re-released with a bunch of new content and no loadings, please.
Wasn't it the PS2 port that had bad load times? Last time I played it was on Dolphin, so I didn't notice anything.

tommib

Wasn't it the PS2 port that had bad load times? Last time I played it was on Dolphin, so I didn't notice anything.
It takes 49 seconds to start playing on the clip below. The game just had all these inter-titles and snippets, noise screens and “stuff” between loadings that I found super annoying. You would also die a lot at least in last missions and it was a pain. At least that’s what I remember:

Last edited:

dan76

This is great to hear. Hope it happens. I've played it through a few times, firstly in PS2, then GameCube. If they do a new one please don't update the controls! Much like RE4, it's what makes it great.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
It takes 49 seconds to start playing on the clip below. The game just had all these inter-titles and snippets, noise screens and “stuff” between loadings that I found super annoying. You would also die a lot at least in last missions and it was a pain. At least that’s what I remember:

You might've been using the "wrong" character to play as.

If you level Con or Kaede up enough, they eventually get an auto-lock on for enemy weakspots so you end up curbstomping pretty much everything and the game becomes pretty breezy. This can be obtained for at least one of them before you even finish Cloudman which is pretty early on.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I loaded it up on PC maybe last year and just wasn't prepared for what it was, so I bounced off it pretty quickly. I'll probably give it another try, but a PS5 port would be cool.

Dr_Salt

I loaded it up on PC maybe last year and just wasn't prepared for what it was, so I bounced off it pretty quickly. I'll probably give it another try, but a PS5 port would be cool.
Yea you have to go with a certain mindset to play this game but it is one of the best and most complex narratives in all of video games. Just treat it like an interactive visual novel, no one really plays K7 for the gameplay.

Last edited:

tommib

Yea you have to go with a certain mindset to play this game but it is one of the best and most complex narratives in all of video games. Just treat it like an interactive visual novel, no one really plays K7 for the gameplay.
I would say that it has isolated genius narrative sections but as a whole it’s close to David Lynch’s work in the way that it’s not that critical to follow what’s going on. To me, it’s about mood, atmosphere and overall coolness.

It’s a super complex narrative but it’s intentional. Just enjoy the style and coolness of the whole thing without trying to put the puzzle together.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

I do. I fuckin love how the shooting feels in that game. And it feels great to play with a Wavebird

Sideways dual pistols for life

WEz2hNM.gif

Top Bottom