• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sudeki is doing better than Tales of Symphonia, but at least Driv3r finally drops...

Alcibiades

http://www.gamespot.com/news/index.html?tag=gs_head_news

1. ESPN NFL 2K5
Publisher: SegaMore Info
Developer: Visual ConceptsTrack this game
Platform: XBOXDiscuss in forums
Genre: SportsCheck prices
Release Date: 07/20/2004

2 ESPN NFL 2K5
Publisher: Sega | Platform: PS2 | Genre: Sports
release:
07/20/2004

3 NCAA Football 2005
Publisher: EA Sports | Platform: PS2 | Genre: Sports
release:
07/15/2004

4 Spider-Man 2
Publisher: Activision | Platform: PS2 | Genre: Action
release:
06/28/2004

5 Sudeki
Publisher: Microsoft | Platform: XBOX | Genre: Role-Playing
release:
07/20/2004

6 NCAA Football 2005
Publisher: EA Sports | Platform: XBOX | Genre: Sports
release:
07/15/2004

7 Spider-Man 2
Publisher: Activision | Platform: XBOX | Genre: Action
release:
06/28/2004

8 Tales of Symphonia
Publisher: Namco | Platform: GC | Genre: Role-Playing
release:
07/13/2004

9 Spider-Man 2
Publisher: Activision | Platform: GC | Genre: Action
release:
06/28/2004

10 DRIV3R
Publisher: Atari | Platform: PS2 | Genre: Action
release:
06/21/2004

Scott

It's also comparing Sudeki's first week sales to Symphonia's second (the data is from the week of July 20-26th), and Symphonia went on backorder not even a couple days into that sales week. So really, it's pretty impressive that it's still on the list at all.

RiZ III

Go Sega! Guess that price drop really worked out pretty well but I thought Sega wasn't going to be publishing these anymore?

Volt

Society said:
You guys missed the point. People are actually buying Sudeki. :/

Considering the relatively high review scores it's been getting (aside from a couple of sources), this shouldn't come as a suprise. I'm in Europe and I still haven't decided whether or not I'll buy it, because Gamespot and 1Up really destoyed the game in their reviews.. I'll just wait and see what some other sources (Eurogames, NTSC-UK etc) have to say before I make my decision.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Volt said:
Considering the relatively high review scores it's been getting (aside from a couple of sources), this shouldn't come as a suprise. I'm in Europe and I still haven't decided whether or not I'll buy it, because Gamespot and 1Up really destoyed the game in their reviews.. I'll just wait and see what some other sources (Eurogames, NTSC-UK etc) have to say before I make my decision.
Gamepost an 1Up were honest reviews. After playing the game, I shared many of thier views.

Volt

Don't get me wrong, I'm inclined to believe the GS review too, I just won't make any statements until after I've actually played it for myself, so for all I know I might end up agreeing with the 75+% it's currently getting over at Gamerankings and Metacritic.

So I'm just saying that it's not a suprise that Sudeki is actually selling, considering the reviews and the developer (Moto GP 2 did pretty well, didn't it ?).

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Shitty sports games and franchises outselling a solidly constructed RPG (Symphonia)... I don't know much about Sudeki, aside from the weak art style, but I'd probably enjoy it much more than *ANOTHER* god damn football game. (and NCAA college football is even worse!)

SantaC

djtiesto said:
Shitty sports games and franchises outselling a solidly constructed RPG (Symphonia)... I don't know much about Sudeki, aside from the weak art style, but I'd probably enjoy it much more than *ANOTHER* god damn football game. (and NCAA college football is even worse!)

yeah you know it's something wrong with the industri when annual sports games outsell an awesome rpg in symphonia...:/

Volt

SantaCruZer said:
yeah you know it's something wrong with the industri when annual sports games outsell an awesome rpg in symphonia...:/

Well then I guess the industry is fucked ever since it's conception ...

IJoel

Sudeki isn't nearly as bad as some people would want to make others believe.

It is short, and because of that I recommend a rental (20 hours).

I agree somewhat with IGN's review, though I'd bump the score to 8.0 or 8.3.

ToS r0x, so it deserves all the sales it can get.

Makura

belgurdo said:
Did we forget about Sheena bent over on ToS's cover?

But they aren't shoved in your face while the other characters take backseat, fading into a purple background. She's one of four characters with her not being the most prominent.

Azih

How can you agree with both the 1up and gamespot reviews?

1up said the combat was good while gamespot said it sucked.

Mrbob

Heh, the Xbox version of 2K5 is still outselling the PS2 version.

You just can't crack that Madden PS2 userbase!

SantaC

meh maybe the sales of ToS wont be so good afterall? They need it since Namco said they want good sales in US in order to continue to release Tales games over there.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I might as well add at the gamestop i work at we didnt even have a copy of the game to sell last week.

Alex

I had to order mine from EB a little bit ago, every place in town was (and still is, judging from a friends info) sold out, been that way for over a week.

Most of the online sites (GameStop, EBGames, Bestbuy, etc) are also on backorder, pretty weak, I hate having to jump through hoops to buy a game, glad I bought mine when I did.

NWO

SantaCruZer said:
meh maybe the sales of ToS wont be so good afterall? They need it since Namco said they want good sales in US in order to continue to release Tales games over there.

Amazon.com sales

TOS #19
Sudeki #80

belgurdo

Banned
NWO said:
All he needs to do is play it for 60 hours to enjoy it. :p

Cute, but seriously, the game's difficulty starts ramping up one you finish the second boss, which is only like 45 minutes to two hours in depending on whether or not you're doing everything the game allows you to

Subitai

Yeah, I think ToS will do better in the long run.

ESPN really needs to do well before the Madden tsumani hits in a few weeks. At least they'll be in better shape than last year when they shipped after Madden.

IgeL

Yeah I'm enjoying Sudeki too. I don't think you can make a judgment unless you try it yourself - it's really a love/hate game, apparently.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
rented tales of symphonia, and i'm a few hours in. battle system is good fun, but everything else is mediocre to bad. the writing is particularly awful: it's uniformly stilted, and there are like three grammatical errors in the first scene alone. i actually kind of like the voice acting, but mainly because it's amusing hearing the geeky brother from mission hill banter with liquid snake. i don't understand the enthusiasm at all.

belgurdo

Banned
drohne said:
rented tales of symphonia, and i'm a few hours in. battle system is good fun, but everything else is mediocre to bad. the writing is particularly awful: it's uniformly stilted, and there are like three grammatical errors in the first scene alone. i actually kind of like the voice acting, but mainly because it's amusing hearing the geeky brother from mission hill banter with liquid snake. i don't understand the enthusiasm at all.

The Tales games has never been particularly known for its witty writing and sharp characters (Star Ocean either, as that series comes from a splinter dev group of Wolf Team/Tales Studio); there's a reason why people extol the virtues of their combat systems so much but talk about little else in their reviews. Just think of the whole thing as a 50 hour fighting game with levels and you'll be alright

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
belgurdo said:
The Tales games has never been particularly known for its witty writing and sharp characters (Star Ocean either, as that series comes from a splinter dev group of Wolf Team/Tales Studio); there's a reason why people extol the virtues of their combat systems so much but talk about little else in their reviews. Just think of the whole thing as a 50 hour fighting game with levels and you'll be alright

And awesome dungeon design as well...

I don't understand why every post-FF7 RPG needs to have an abundance of fancy cutscenes and a deep, serious story for people to enjoy. The story in TOS may be pretty redundant to people who have played the other Tales games, but it's the characters I really like... Sheena's definitely a much more interesting character than the last few FF females, Zelos has some GREAT lines, Raine is awesome as well (I like it when she spanks Genis). I love to see the characters arguing and engaging in friendly conversation in the skits, it really brings out their personalities. Average story + Good graphics + Great music + Great characters + Great dungeon designs + Great battle system = My favorite game of the year so far (at least till SO3)

Prine

Banned
From what i've played of ToS i can see why its been awarded 8s by the majority of sites. REal good fun, just feels like its missing something. I fucking hate Collete (goody-goody little bitch), the Professor and her Brother. They get on my nerves, im trying to avoid skits with Collette. She just does my head in

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
belgurdo said:
Just think of the whole thing as a 50 hour fighting game with levels and you'll be alright.

or i could play guardian heroes, have a much better time, and save 49 hours.

edit: actually the only symphonia characters i like are lloyd and colette. i'm not sure if it's intentional, but they're just such morons. their conversations are so perfectly, hilariously inane.

siege

Banned
Heh, yeah. The writing in ToS is god awful. Even my wife made a comment about how bad the dialogue was and this is someone who sits and watches cartoons on Nickeledon with my son - and is entertained.

However, Sudeki doesn't fare much better. As far as the combat goes, I found Sudeki to be the lesser of two evils. Both sorely disappointing games.

I think the fact both of them selling relatively well is because everyone is starved for a good RPG. There hasn't been anything since KOTOR last year.

Top Bottom