• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sudeki must have bombed hard - refusal from MS to post any reviews on major sites

Lukas

Banned
Last time they did this was for Grabbed by the Ghoulies.....

and recently with Driver 3, they didnt allow any reviews until the game hit shelves either.

I guess MS and Climax wanna maximize on the sales before the bad reviews start coming in

The reviews should be up today though since the game officialy comes out July 20.

My predictions based on the demo and previews I have read -

Gamespot - 7.6
IGN - 7.9
Gamespy - 3 stars

Lukas

Banned
selling out in EB means nothing......

Rallisport 2 topped the charts for a whole month at Gamestop but only sold like 40k its first month

belgurdo

Banned
SyNapSe said:
A 7.6 from Gamespot would not exactly be a bomb. I would say that's a solid title.

That's what I was thinking....almost an 8 is bad now? I guess only if you had absolutely no faith in the game beforehand I suppose

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
belgurdo said:
That's what I was thinking....almost an 8 is bad now? I guess only if you had absolutely no faith in the game beforehand I suppose

ever since Mario Kart DD

Rhindle

I'm not particularly enthused about Sudeki, but the fact that reviews are embargoed until the day before release means nothing. It's done all the time by many if not most publishers, particularly for big titles.

Rhindle said:
I'm not particularly enthused about Sudeki, but the fact that reviews are embargoed until the day before release means nothing. It's done all the time by many if not most publishers, particularly for big titles.

Uh, what? Big titles, specifically those in development forever, ALWAYS have reviews way before release...to get people hyped and excited. It says a lot when a developer refuses reviews until release. Perhaps before the age of the internet, this happened more often, but now with word of mouth about shitty titles....developers won't take a chance when they know their product isn't all that great.

Rhindle

kitchenmotors said:
Uh, what? Big titles, specifically those in development forever, ALWAYS have reviews way before release...to get people hyped and excited. It says a lot when a developer refuses reviews until release. Perhaps before the age of the internet, this happened more often, but now with word of mouth about shitty titles....developers won't take a chance when they know their product isn't all that great.
Uh, you're wrong. If online reviews were embargoed until AFTER the release date, that would be unusual.

jarrod

Banned
Rhindle said:
So... when was the last time EA, Nintendo or Sony did this?

Saw this coming. Chespace even commented on it a while ago about M$ not releasing reviewable code to meet the release of the latest XBN.

That's a real bad sign when they won't even let an all Xbox magazine review it ahead of time.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Colour me unsurprised.

M$ and Climax want to preserve the investment as best as possible - they have a sequel in the works already. Oh dear...

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
jarrod said:
So... when was the last time EA, Nintendo or Sony did this?

I thought nintendo often ships their review copies late, or too close to release for the print mags to beat the retail release?

jarrod

Banned
levious said:
I thought nintendo often ships their review copies late, or too close to release for the print mags to beat the retail release?
Well, that's a different than putting an embargo on any review until release date isn't it? When was the last time Nintendo kept IGN from putting up a review until the game was out?

KingJ2002

not surprising really... I never liked the game from the start... seemed really bland and generic.

I hope microsoft goes back to the lab and create a worthwhile RPG... it doesnt have to look like a fake japanese rpg.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Holding back on reviewable code is normally a bad sign. Combined with a painfully bad demo it's two strikes against the game in my book.

WarPig

Rhindle said:

It used to be that way, but it's not as common now. Now, if a publisher knows it has a hit on its hands, it'll either allow reviews to hit early or give a particular outlet an exclusive early review.

DFS.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
belgurdo said:
Then again, if Tales of the Malformed Munchkin People can sell out at EB in days...

please, you cannot be saying the art in sudeki is better than TOS.

WarPig said:
1UP has review by the Nich. See:

http://appsrv-2.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3133566&did=1

On the character design issue, I'd say they're both pretty wack in their own way. Between those two and Star Ocean 3, this is the year for weak anime crapola in RPGs.

DFS.

Which will luckily be saved by the artistic beauty of SMT3 and DDS. :)

That review atleast mentions that the battle system is good. That was the entire reason I wanted interested in it in the first place. I've played games just for their battle system before so I think I can handle it with this one.

tenchir

I don't know why hating anime characteristic games seem to be popular now(at least to this forum), because I have been play games for nearly 2 decades and have experience this "anime crap" you all are referring to before the SNES came out. I didn't hear anything about japanese art during the SNES/Genesis or even the PSX/N64/Saturn era. Or is it just extreme patriotism I am seeing here? Or just too many computer gamers migrating into consoles?

I just don't see the problems with anime graphic games, there was nothing wrong with ToS, the developers just wanted to resemble the previous Tales game. The first Tales was on the SNES(that had a lot of RPG with chibi characters), then the PSX, not the GC/PS2.

WarPig

tenchir said:
I don't know why hating anime characteristic games seem to be popular now(at least to this forum), because I have been play games for nearly 2 decades and have experience this "anime crap" you all are referring to before the SNES came out. I didn't hear anything about japanese art during the SNES/Genesis or even the PSX/N64/Saturn era. Or is it just extreme patriotism I am seeing here? Or just too many computer gamers migrating into consoles?

It's not the style I have beef with, it's poor execution of the style. Symphonia, Star Ocean, and Sudeki are all particularly uninspired examples of designs inspired by Japanese comics and animation.

And if you think Symphonia's designs are any good, line 'em up next to Phantasia's.

DFS.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
WarPig said:
It's not the style I have beef with, it's poor execution of the style. Symphonia, Star Ocean, and Sudeki are all particularly uninspired examples of designs inspired by Japanese comics and animation.

And if you think Symphonia's designs are any good, line 'em up next to Phantasia's.

DFS.

uninspired maybe but atleast 2 of them werent modeled by 10 year olds.

tenchir

WarPig said:

DFS.

I bet you are qualified to make that critique, being Japanese yourself and all. Or maybe watching a lot of animes.

Those japanese artists sure fucked up your concept of inspired examples of anime designs huh?

belgurdo

Banned
tales.jpg
>>>
TALES_OF_SYMPHONIA_GC_US.jpg

And I like Sudeki's art, atlhough Nikki Broughton can't compare to Fujishima in his prime

WarPig

The Symphonia US box art might be the best piece of promotional art made for the game. Better than the Japanese box by a sight.

It's the in-game shit that really gets up my nose:

w350-08.jpg

"I have two facial expressions: 'Guuuh' and 'WTF?'"

DFS.

Top Bottom