• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Binbougami ga! 10
binbou10.jpg
binbou10a.jpg
binbou10b.jpg
binbou10c.jpg

I look forward to this shows take on the Dayson fan.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
calling it a fetish would be a big stretch, i think--it's just another opportunity for humor, however meager it may be for some

recent gaijin example would be Bridesmaids

There's no denying that, for virtually any comedy, the humor itself is intended to be the source of appeal. I simply question the possibility that a show can be so loaded with sexual content without it developing a sexual appeal independent of the comedy for a portion of the audience.

Honestly, I don't remember much happening after the dude goes to the school. He gets drafted onto the student council because the girls think they should have a guy in order to better represent the student body, but it drops the whole "boy in an all-girl's school" thing pretty quickly to just focus on the jokes. He is the straight man, of course, so I suppose you could say he patronizes the girls by sighing at their behaviour... but then again, there are girls who also play that role as well, so it's not exclusively men that are the sane ones in this universe.

And I totally forgot Maid-sama had the same premise. lol

Yeah, since it's a comedy I wouldn't expect them to explore the dynamics of being a male in a (formerly) all-girl school too deeply. There's probably only so much you can do with the premise anyway.

Maybe the secret is that it's one of your fetishes!

Nope, I'm just basing this on the demand for waifu purity also probably meaning that there are people who demand the opposite!

although I have been known to be partial to coarse girls in anime. Part of the reason I'm so bummed that Bimbougami ga is so unfunny, hahah

Yeah, although I think Girl's High was more "vulgar" in the manga since it touched on sex in a more direct manner. Not that the anime avoided either, but you know.
That said, because there is no male presence in Girl's High, it's more body humour than outright sex jokes.

Yeah, Girl's High was pretty much just female gross-out humor. It's been forever since I tried to watch it but I think that the first episode was basically "tampons tampons tampons pubes pubes pubes blah blah etc". That alone wasn't repulsive enough to make me stop watching, but I never got farther because I remember it having the worst music of any anime I'd ever watched!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, since it's a comedy I wouldn't expect them to explore the dynamics of being a male in a (formerly) all-girl school too deeply. There's probably only so much you can do with the premise anyway.
Besides, to get the same feeling, just get a humanities major in college. Same ratio of female to male students anyway.
(And if a girl wants to find out what it's like being in an all boy's school, she can take Engineering or CompSci. lol).

Other than the awkwardness though, I'm not sure what else there is that they can really do with the premise. Well, other than have someone self-righteously declare that the "invading" gender is evil and have hilarity ensue because of it.

Nope, I'm just basing this on the demand for waifu purity also probably meaning that there are people who demand the opposite!

although I have been known to be partial to coarse girls in anime. Part of the reason I'm so bummed that Bimbougami ga is so unfunny, hahah
Sure, sure!

At least you like the character. I still hate her. lol

Yeah, Girl's High was pretty much just female gross-out humor. It's been forever since I tried to watch it but I think that the first episode was basically "tampons tampons tampons pubes pubes pubes blah blah etc". That alone wasn't repulsive enough to make me stop watching, but I never got farther because I remember it having the worst music of any anime I'd ever watched!
Yeah, pretty much. I remember liking it because it basically served as an antidote to the girl's pillow fight fantasies that usually appear in these types of shows. Like, I mean, the girls in YuruYuri never get cramps or have to shave or deal with actually being women. I'm sure it's not that great of a show though, beyond the whole demystification of the female body anyway.

You really should watch an episode of Ebichu just for shiggles though. lol

Jex

Gundam 08th MS team episode 9+10

Okay, show went downhill, love on the battlefield, get that shit out of my Gundam.

That was present since the first episode. Furthermore, 'that shit' is present in a large number of Gundam works! It's present in more shows than it's not.

I think the show handles it fairly well, not spectacularly, but fairly well.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I would totally go on a date in the mountains with Shiro. Dude is resourceful.

Jex

Holy shit
you mean someone actually noticed that OP text? I wasn't just wasting my time?

(There was apparently a mail-off episode for people who bought $600 worth of Blu-rays sometime last year? I wasn't quiiiiite devoted enough, and raws are so iffy I'd been sourcing my own through cash or terrible deals since like Goku 2. Also, SHAFT production staff was going on about wanting to do a S4 on Twitter right when the manga ended.)

Someone's always willing to go frame by frame. SHAFT fans are used to that kind of thing.
I would totally go on a date in the mountains with Shiro. Dude is resourceful.

Only if he has a Gundam.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sure, sure!

At least you like the character. I still hate her. lol

Where did you get the idea that I like Ichiko? I hate her guts!

Yeah, pretty much. I remember liking it because it basically served as an antidote to the girl's pillow fight fantasies that usually appear in these types of shows. Like, I mean, the girls in YuruYuri never get cramps or have to shave or deal with actually being women. I'm sure it's not that great of a show though, beyond the whole demystification of the female body anyway.

You really should watch an episode of Ebichu just for shiggles though. lol

Yeah, a show like Girl's High has its place. If only it had integrated the less-glamourous aspects of being a woman into standard cute pander fare instead of going full-tilt into the nastiness it would probably be a more notable show because, to my knowledge, no anime has ever tried to integrate the two differing portrayals of females
nasty-ass PMS fetishism in stuff like PapaKiki doesn't count
, but I don't know who the hell the show was meant to appeal to anyway (gap moe/anti-moe/whatever is a pretty nebulous kind of appeal because it means something different to everyone) so I suppose that the fact that this kind of portrayal exists in any form is at least remarkable on some level.

Jex

I recommend this movie all the time, where have you been?!

You can (& should) buy it on pristine, dual-audio region free blu-ray from the UK:

alice_blu-ray.jpg

alice.jpg

(that shot's, er, not from the BD, but you should be able to appreciate the visual punning)

Hmm, £9, that's well into the realms of affordability.

Jex

FTNW's character designs/faces give me a big Tari Tari vibe and I feel pretty ambivalent about those as it is.

That said they seem pretty solid in motion.

They don't look like bug people to me.
But it was actually good...

At least I enjoyed it. It was definitely the best romance in a Gundam series.
That's not really saying that much though, is it? Talk about damming with faint praise.

Jarmel

Banned
Eureka Seven AO 19-

Holy shit at that last sequence. That's how you do it. I still utterly hate Truth as a character. The idiot seemingly doesn't even know what he's doing.

Thoraxes

Eureka Seven AO 19-

Holy shit at that last sequence. That's how you do it. I still utterly hate Truth as a character. The idiot seemingly doesn't even know what he's doing.
Fuck man, it got me too.

E7AO 19 Spoilers in GIF Form!: Click this

I was asking cuz I hadn't read it and I was too lazy. Then I changed my mind.
Now you know that you save your glops for the very important bro in your life.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Where did you get the idea that I like Ichiko? I hate her guts!

Yeah, a show like Girl's High has its place. If only it had integrated the less-glamourous aspects of being a woman into standard cute pander fare instead of going full-tilt into the nastiness it would probably be a more notable show because, to my knowledge, no anime has ever tried to integrate the two differing portrayals of females
nasty-ass PMS fetishism in stuff like PapaKiki doesn't count
, but I don't know who the hell the show was meant to appeal to anyway (gap moe/anti-moe/whatever is a pretty nebulous kind of appeal because it means something different to everyone) so I suppose that the fact that this kind of portrayal exists in any form is at least remarkable on some level.

If everyone hates Ichiko, what the hell is going on with that show!

And you know, Chu Bra is basically what you describe, since it's pretty much right in between creepy moe moe stuff and "practical" bodily knowledge about wearing the right bra (and the obvious body image issues that come with bra-sizes and so forth). I don't remember it being all that great, but it came either before or after B Gata, so it stuck in my mind as one of those extremely and oddly specific Japanese texts about a subject that, this time around, happened to deal with women. B Gata is probably more on the Girl's High side, but even then, since Yamada's basically super chaste, it's more like she belongs more with the Seitokai Yakuindomo girls.

For what it's worth, Girl's High and Chu Bra were both published in a seinen mag called Comic High! (which also published Girl Friends, an actual long running yuri with a conclusion that is both happy but not terribly stupid... I'm looking at you Shimura!). Wiki describes it as a mag whose focus is "shoujo for boys". lol

Which, hell, makes some measure of sense given what Chu Bra and Girls High are actually like.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
You know, it's exactly like Ebichu, which is basically extremely perverted Hamtaro. Instead of having girls say dirty things, now you have a hamster. lol
At one level Ebichu was pretty much one note shock humor, but it was also sardonic commentary from a clear female perspective. Not that it redeems the show, but it's there.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
idolmaster 16

That alligator cracks me up. Something about the face.

Not a fan of the baddies. A bit too... simple?

The Rowdyruff Boys were a plague on the second half of Idolm@ster.

And you know, Chu Bra is basically what you describe, since it's pretty much right in between creepy moe moe stuff and "practical" bodily knowledge about wearing the right bra (and the obvious body image issues that come with bra-sizes and so forth). I don't remember it being all that great, but it came either before or after B Gata, so it stuck in my mind as one of those extremely and oddly specific Japanese texts about a subject that, this time around, happened to deal with women. B Gata is probably more on the Girl's High side, but even then, since Yamada's basically super chaste, it's more like she belongs more with the Seitokai Yakuindomo girls.

For what it's worth, Girl's High and Chu Bra were both published in a seinen mag called Comic High! (which also published Girl Friends, an actual long running yuri with a conclusion that is both happy but not terribly stupid... I'm looking at you Shimura!). Wiki describes it as a mag whose focus is "shoujo for boys". lol

Which, hell, makes some measure of sense given what Chu Bra and Girls High are actually like.

Chu-Bra is one show that I never thought would ever be mentioned in the thread short of a discussion on anthropomorphized tits. I think I'm just going to trust your opinion of how it's significant in terms of anime that realistically approach the female body, hahah.

Articalys

Magi's ED will be performed by Nogizaka 46. For those who missed it yesterday, the OP is by Sid.
"Nogizaka46 is a Japanese female idol group produced by Yasushi Akimoto, and it is billed as the "official rival" of the group AKB48."
"Even their name "Nogizaka46" also carries the meaning that "even with fewer members than AKB48, we won’t lose"."

...I had no idea something like this existed.

Jex

The plot & pacing in this is a total mess, but it's just way too freaking cool and stylish looking to dislike.

kie6Y.jpg

I honestly didn't expect the story stuff to be this disjointed. But it's full of awesome shots with great artwork that are simply fun to look at.

After reading copious amounts of impressions about this movie I'm getting the feeling that this thread has probably increased the amount of people on the planet who have Hell's Angel by about 10%.

Narag

Armored Trooper Votoms: Big Battle

Another Votoms OVA, this one is set after the climax of the tv series but before the epilogue. It's fitting this felt (and looked) like an overlong tv episode then. It's definitely a lesser product than The Last Red Shoulder which was such a great serious peek into Chirico's past.

Gotho, Coconna, and Vanilla are present as Chirico's supporting crew in this story that returns to the familiar Battling present in the Uuodo City arc and the second episode of Armor Hunter Mellowlink. Chirico's nemesis in this is a Balarant PS that successfully coaxes Chirico into the Big Battle after his side kidnaps manages to kidnap Fyana thanks to some eyerolling contrivance.

pPNq9l.png

Oh hey, the comic relief is here.

It started off rather boring and lacked any sort of charm the Uuodo City arc had regarding Battling as that featured some of the surrounding culture which this more or less glosses over. The introductory AT fight at the very beginning of the OVA was good and actually relevant to later events as Chirico parlayed his observation of this fight into a plan to deal with his enemy later. The titular Big Battle which involved the Chirico, the main cast, and Ru Shako against a land battleship was hit or miss. It was boring for the most part with the best part being Chirico infiltrating the battleship and the later encounter
vs Fyana
that reminded me so much of the excellent second episode of Mellowlink where it was just a man vs an AT and a reliance on tactics.

As much as I like this franchise, this never really felt like it ventured much past average. The strange usage of some introduced throwaway characters, the supporting trio mucking things up, the unengaging antagonist, and the unsatisfying resolution add up in the end, sadly not to much. The Jean Paul Rochina cameo was cool as was
Chirico looking so very much like he once did when the tv series began as he painted his AT's shoulder red. Finally divorcing himself from the identity of a Red Shoulder at the end was nice too although that destination deserved better than the given journey.
This is definitely something for the fans but even then it's not something I'd consider a necessary watch.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I like the incongruity between the cat's face and the painter's face.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So Japan finally found a way to fuse the daruma and maneki neko into one good luck charm to rule them all.

Uchip

Banned
E7 AO 19
making noise in the vacuum of space is bad enough
but talking? *facepalm*

The talking while being a thousand leagues underwater in one piece annoys me too

Instro

"Nogizaka46 is a Japanese female idol group produced by Yasushi Akimoto, and it is billed as the "official rival" of the group AKB48."
"Even their name "Nogizaka46" also carries the meaning that "even with fewer members than AKB48, we won’t lose"."

...I had no idea something like this existed.

You'd think they would pick a number higher than 48 rather than lower.

Narag

Recorder & Randsell TV/OVA

This featured a teacher that brought unnecessary fanservice, the worst CG police car I've ever seen, and more pedo jokes than a GAF thread discussing anime avatars. I didn't really care for it aside from a couple visual gags. Thank goodness the episodes were short.

hOFZjl.png

Anime Titantic was amusing.

rfVgMl.jpg

Poyo enhances everything.

Jex

[Eureka Seven: Ao] - Episode 19 "May contain traces of Naru"

e7ao19.png

This episode felt fairly perfunctory in that, while important events occurred and characters performed bold actions and revelations were...revealed none of it was done with any kind of grace. It seems like they know they've heading towards the end of the series and this is just the list of events that they realised needed to occur. So they executed them, one after another, in a linear sequence. There's nothing inherently wrong with having answers to questions but I really get the impression they just dumped it all in here to get it out of the way.

It still boggles my mind that throughout the previous 18 episodes of this season no-one has ever really acted shocked or surprised or questioned Truth's various abilities including: flight, transformation, energy discharge. Yes, I know they're living in a world of scrub-coral and giant secrets but Truth is still ridiculous.

Uchip

Banned

It still boggles my mind that throughout the previous 18 episodes of this season no-one has ever really acted shocked or surprised or questioned Truth's various abilities including: flight, transformation, energy discharge. Yes, I know they're living in a world of scrub-coral and giant secrets but Truth is still ridiculous.

hes like, impervious to bullets, but still tries his best to dodge them
probably the most confused idea of a villain ive ever seen
he has a cat bell collar too, which is pretty stupid
its like, how do you make a bad character worse? by making them jingle everywhere they go!

Kagami

It's an interesting magazine. Or it was, anyway.
A few years back I was buying it regularly, mostly for a certain series, but Girl Friends was one of the other highlights.
But over the years it seemed to slowly transform into a Dengekidaiou-wannabe, complete with requisite eroge comicalizations, and wound up feeling like a straightforward moe-otaku magazine rather than a girls-comics-style-stuff-for-men magazine...though I guess there's a fine line between those two things.

Chu-Bra was boring even in its original form and seemed like an odd choice to animate, but maybe they figured the premise would grab people. I don't think the TV series succeeded in making it any more entertaining than the source material though.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
hes like, impervious to bullets, but still tries his best to dodge them
probably the most confused idea of a villain ive ever seen
he has a cat bell collar too, which is pretty stupid
its like, how do you make a bad character worse? by making them jingle everywhere they go!

He also lacks intelligence. I mean, my goodness sakes. His powers are exactly like them and the color scheme of his clothes reflect them. HOW THE FUCK COULD HE NOT KNOW?!

Jarmel

Banned
He also lacks intelligence. I mean, my goodness sakes. His powers are exactly like them and the color scheme of his clothes reflect them. HOW THE FUCK COULD HE NOT KNOW?!

Yea this episode showed how fucking stupid Truth is. He's a truly horrible villain in almost every angle.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/e7ao19.png

This episode felt fairly perfunctory in that, while important events occurred and characters performed bold actions and revelations were...revealed none of it was done with any kind of grace. It seems like they know they've heading towards the end of the series and this is just the list of events that they realised needed to occur. So they executed them, one after another, in a linear sequence. There's nothing inherently wrong with having answers to questions but I really get the impression they just dumped it all in here to get it out of the way.

So, like all of the previous episodes then?

At one level Ebichu was pretty much one note shock humor, but it was also sardonic commentary from a clear female perspective. Not that it redeems the show, but it's there.
Yeah, I agree. It's merit comes from the fact that it represents a minoritized/oppressed voice, more than anything else it actually does.

I know that's like a big qualifier, but when the reality is that anime doesn't really try to do cover that material... what can you do?

The Rowdyruff Boys were a plague on the second half of Idolm@ster.

Chu-Bra is one show that I never thought would ever be mentioned in the thread short of a discussion on anthropomorphized tits. I think I'm just going to trust your opinion of how it's significant in terms of anime that realistically approach the female body, hahah.
It approaches the body for its function, rather than as a sexual object. Of course, you can sexualize it if you want, since apparently guys want to see girls change out of their clothes and try on bras or whatever, but it had scenes where the main girl taught the other girls how to measure themselves so that they could buy properly fitting bras. Not really the most titillating (har) material.

(Also, the forced conflict in the second half of im@s was pretty dumb).

The Nyanko-sensei products keep coming. This time: hand-painted daruma dolls.
Yours for only 8,888 yen.
Aren't you supposed to break them when the year's done?!

First Morita-san, and now Poyopoyo have been tainted by this show...

why anime
why not

It's an interesting magazine. Or it was, anyway.
A few years back I was buying it regularly, mostly for a certain series, but Girl Friends was one of the other highlights.
But over the years it seemed to slowly transform into a Dengekidaiou-wannabe, complete with requisite eroge comicalizations, and wound up feeling like a straightforward moe-otaku magazine rather than a girls-comics-style-stuff-for-men magazine...though I guess there's a fine line between those two things.

Chu-Bra was boring even in its original form and seemed like an odd choice to animate, but maybe they figured the premise would grab people. I don't think the TV series succeeded in making it any more entertaining than the source material though.

Ah, Comic High! is dead? What is that manga on the cover? lol

I suppose the change in focus makes sense. The novelty of girl's comics for boys probably couldn't last for long and so I assume they went for the lowest common denominator to try to save the mag.

And, like Ebichu, I think I found Chu Bra interesting because of what it represented more than what it actually was. At the very least, it helped convince me that anime was interesting and something I should pay attention to.

Of course, that was all a lie, since really, there hasn't been much in terms of anime for or about women that try to address women and their bodies in a way that doesn't directly pander to men and their gaze.

Well, other than that one single episode of Tari Tari before they had to move on anyway. lol

wonzo

Banned
Accel World 22

yet another bad episode, but this time with a bad anime tie-in. thank god there's only two more episodes of this piece of shit left.

Detailed breakdown:

00:00 - 01:21: more hosodapocalypse in the shitty game divebar
*OP*
02:51 - 07:56: divebar dubstep and a fight. not bad
*meidos*
10:01 - 10:16: douchebag and ntr
*the salty tears of a girl stripping*
15:42 - 15:54: more douchebag and ntr
*more garbage*
*ED*
*preview*

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Accel World 22
yet another bad episode, but this time with a bad anime tie-in. thank god there's only two more episodes of this piece of shit left.

Detailed breakdown:

*OP*
*meidos*
*more garbage*
*ED*
*preview*

Wait, is that the SAO head thingie?

cajunator

Banned
Accel World 22

Detailed breakdown:

*OP*
*meidos*
*more garbage*
*ED*
*preview*

Its amazing how much yall hate this show and Im totally in love with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom