• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
accel22.gif

this is me watching the latest episode of Accel World

Jarmel

Banned
So wait, they're actually gonna link Accel World with SAO? Well shit.

You know what the truly sad part is? Despite Accel being a piece of shit on the writing front, it's somehow better than SAO.

The worst thing any production can be is boring.

Kagami

Ah, Comic High! is dead?
Ah sorry, it's still around, I just considered it more interesting when it had that unique "girls' comics for men" concept going for it.

What is that manga on the cover? lol
Kodomo no Jikan

Well, other than that one single episode of Tari Tari before they had to move on anyway. lol
I think the discussion on that in this thread has been a little odd, because that was just about
wanting to meet gender-neutral jockey weight requirements, which are real numbers. It wasn't about body image or anorexia or bulimia or any other psychological issue.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ah sorry, it's still around, I just I considered it more interesting when it had that unique "girls' comics for men" concept going for it.
Ah, right. Well, they gotta chase the money I suppose.
Kodomo no Jikan
I should have known. lol

I think the discussion on that in this thread has been a little odd, because that was just about
wanting to meet specific jockey weight requirements, which are real numbers. It wasn't about body image or anorexia or bulimia or any other psychological issue.
One is related to the other, since it's not like she, say, went to seek medical advice before trying to deal with the issue. Essentially her identity is challenged, so she's going to extremes to try to maintain it.

Kazzy

Don't want to overhype it, but this is pretty much the reason I love anime compressed into a 2 hour film. It's in the same tier as Gurren Lagann (my favorite anime of all time) and some other stuff for me.

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm always prepared for the prospect of a potentially bad show, and if I found something that I love, fantastic.

So long as I can accurately verbalize why it is that I feel a certain way about a show, I will still deem it as a positive experience. Like with most things, its all worth it for that feeling of discovering something new.

Kazzy

You were right everyone, the Hyouka culture festive arc is great!

Who knew that a cooking scene could be made so tense, fantastic scenes. Everything about this show has been on a gradual incline, the music, the characters, the pacing, the OP/ED's. Even if that has been its crescendo, I happily look forward to finishing off the remaining episodes.

You know what the truly sad part is? Despite Accel being a piece of shit on the writing front, it's somehow better than SAO.

The worst thing any production can be is boring.

You know.. at the begining of this season, I did something I never did before in my 20 years of watching anime: I dismissed an anime based on the poster art alone; SAO. I started the season and 4 weeks in I was sure that my list would be: Hyouka > Accel World > Kokoro Connect > Estetica > > > > > > > > > > everything else.

Sooooooo.... for weeks in, without any recommendation, I accidently stunmbled on the anidb rating for SAO and thought anything over a 7 can't be that bad. I'll download the first couple of eps and see what it's about.

HOLY SHIT!

My ranking nine weeks in is effectively: SAO > > > > Kokoro Connect > Hyouka > > > Estetica > Accel World > > > > > > everything else.

IT'S THAT GOOD!

Last weeks SAO also marked another thing with anime I haven't done since 12 Kingdoms: I rewatch an entire epidsode right after finishing it because IT WAS THAT GOOD!

sogood.gif

duckroll

You were right everyone, the Hyouka culture festive arc is great!

Who knew that a cooking scene could be made so tense, fantastic scenes. Everything about this show has been on a gradual incline, the music, the characters, the pacing, the OP/ED's. Even if that has been its crescendo, I happily look forward to finishing off the remaining episodes.

Welcome to the cult. :D

To be fair,
Both novel series take place in the same world/timeline, or at least I've heard as much. Accel World takes place after SAO

No way! BAN THIS MAN!

Oy my god.... are you serious?

Seriously... mind blown! Accel world, as much as I enjoy it, doesn't even share the same strata with SAO for me. I wonder if it has something to do with my aversion to whinny protagonists?

Dresden

You know.. at the begining of this season, I did something I never did before in my 20 years of watching anime: I dismissed an anime based on the poster art alone; SAO. I started the season and 4 weeks in I was sure that my list would be: Hyouka > Accel World > Kokoro Connect > Estetica > > > > > > > > > > everything else.

Sooooooo.... for weeks in, without any recommendation, I accidently stunmbled on the anidb rating for SAO and thought anything over a 7 can't be that bad. I'll download the first couple of eps and see what it's about.

HOLY SHIT!

My ranking nine weeks in is effectively: SAO > > > > Kokoro Connect > Hyouka > > > Estetica > Accel World > > > > > > everything else.

IT'S THAT GOOD!

Last weeks SAO also marked another thing with anime I haven't done since 12 Kingdoms: I rewatch an entire epidsode right after finishing it because IT WAS THAT GOOD!

sogood.gif

Love what u luv and don't let them tell u otherwise

Instro

Smile Precure 29

I don't post about this show often, but I found this episode to be rather novel. The whole evil carnival plot was fun, but more importantly there was a car racing section with 2D cars which was really cool! Some real Wacky Races type stuff there.

Jarmel

Banned

HOLY SHIT!

IT'S THAT GOOD!

sogood.gif

What on Earth coulld you possibly like about the show? It does nothing exceptional. There has been maybe three scenes of any value on the action front. Is it the shallow characters, the forgettable music, the horrible plot setup, the boring dialogue, the lack of tension, or the crappy direction(as they play ridiculously loose with time and location)? Seriously what on earth is this show doing remotely well?

Uchip

Banned
What on Earth coulld you possibly like about the show? It does nothing exceptional. There has been maybe three scenes of any value on the action front. Is it the shallow characters, the forgettable music, the horrible plot setup, the boring dialogue, the lack of tension, or the crappy direction(as they play ridiculously loose with time and location)? Seriously what on earth is this show doing remotely well?

its appealing to our gamer sensibilities

duckroll

SAO is pretty much the ultimate comfort food anime of the season. It's not surprising that most people are enjoying it, even if no one thinks the writing is really exceptional or even particularly good. It's predictable, it's filled with stock characters, self-insert pandering, etc, but it's well produced, the scenario is interesting, and it's pretty feel good in a really base and lowest common denominator sense. That's really all entertainment needs to be sometimes. Not everything has to be art.

Sengoku Collection

That's such a strange show... talking about mixed bags. All the episodes are generally good and have a meaty story but I cannot put my finger on an emotional tone to it which just throws me off. I still enjoy it but feel like I could enjoy it more if it had a smoother emotional thread weaving all the episodes together,

I have to say, the last episode's ending was a geniune LOL moment.

Jarmel

Banned
SAO is pretty much the ultimate comfort food anime of the season. It's not surprising that most people are enjoying it, even if no one thinks the writing is really exceptional or even particularly good. It's predictable, it's filled with stock characters, self-insert pandering, etc, but it's well produced, the scenario is interesting, and it's pretty feel good in a really base and lowest common denominator sense. That's really all entertainment needs to be sometimes. Not everything has to be art.

Of course not but the production values are the only thing going for it. They don't do anything with the scenario and use it in the worst possible manner. Instead of any episodes analyzing the psychology of the players we get stupid scenes where they show how easy cooking is or them collecting dragon crap for a sword. The only episode that even remotely addressed the psychology of this was the 'Renegade Nicholas' episode. It doesn't do anything except plod along. I mean Avengers isn't art but goddamn does it do a lot right. We don't have any snappy banter or even decent action sequences every episode. This is just a mediocre production with a bunch of money pumped in that they can't do anything with except flashes of decent fights.

Appealing character designs, expressive animation, considerable subtext and visual storytelling, MMO Batman, moves quickly, intricately thought-out world, etc.

It's heavily flawed, yes, but there's plenty to like about it.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Of course not but the production values are the only thing going for it. They don't do anything with the scenario and use it in the worst possible manner. Instead of any episodes analyzing the psychology of the players we get stupid scenes where they show how easy cooking is or them collecting dragon crap for a sword. The only episode that even remotely addressed the psychology of this was the 'Renegade Nicholas' episode. It doesn't do anything except plod along. I mean Avengers isn't art but goddamn does it do a lot right. This is just a mediocre production with a bunch of money pumped in that they can't do anything with except flashes of decent action sequences.

SAO does pretty good world building.

duckroll

Of course not but the production values are the only thing going for it. They don't do anything with the scenario and use it in the worst possible manner. Instead of any episodes analyzing the psychology of the players we get stupid scenes where they show how easy cooking is or them collecting dragon crap for a sword. The only episode that even remotely addressed the psychology of this was the 'Renegade Nicholas' episode. It doesn't do anything except plod along. I mean Avengers isn't art but goddamn does it do a lot right. We don't have any snappy banter or even decent action sequences every episode. This is just a mediocre production with a bunch of money pumped in that they can't do anything with except flashes of decent fights.

Well, I actually disagree. In a show like this, I'm not interested in the psychology of players or anything like that. I don't want it to be a deep or meaningful show because it's clearly not supposed to be that. It's a light series targeted at gaming fans and otaku. I'm glad they spend most of the episodes talking about the game mechanics of the world and so on, because there aren't really many shows that do that. The author creates a pretty realistic and compelling "what if" game design plan for the world, and it's interesting to watch silly characters "play" the game.

I like the main character. I like how the story empowers him. I like the the layers of his motivations and internal conflict. I enjoy the emotional tones earch story hits. I love the core conceit of the world where a death virtually means death in real life and the possible truths behind this conceit. I've always been a sucker of the misunderstood hero.

Very few animes give me this emotional reaction without feeling completely opressive. It's walking a fine line for me and it's my sweet spot :D I LOVE IT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom