• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman2050

You guys hating on dolphins now?

UPB7jsB.jpg

Muromi had the right idea.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
guys I still have like 200 episodes of Doremi so stop making me kind of want to watch Mew Mew

What is a violent anime with good sword fight scenes? I've already seen samurai champloo.

I've heard good things about Shigurui.

It's been a while since I saw it so my recollection might be a bit spotty but I think the post credit scene with
the shot of the city was some kinda message on humanity's ability to survive the harshest of conditions and come out stronger in the end, hence the shot of the thriving city in (what I guess is) roughly the same place where all the horrendous stuff in the movie went down, only a couple years in the future.
I guess it kinda works in with the overall moral of the story of redemption through perseverance.

Ah, that makes sense.
In that reading, the image of a rebuilt and thriving Kyoto bookends nicely with the image of a burning Kyoto the film opens on.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Not too long ago you were lamenting not having enough to watch into perpetuity.

I was specifically lamenting the eventual lack of Sailor Moon/Doremi/Heartcatch-like experiences! I have no expectations that Mew Mew would be even remotely in the same league.

sonicmj1

Is Gatchaman Crowds any decent?

Gatchaman Crowds is doing some interesting things, in a kind of preachy way, but I still have no idea if it's going to come together into something special, or if it's going to wind up as some sledgehammer-subtle story about the relationship between people and technology with odd visual design and occasional bouts of cuteness.

I'll probably keep watching it, but I'd say it's best to wait and see how it all shakes out.

Jex

So now that last week's manga sales have been released I though it would be fun to see what kind of boost the new Attack on Titan volume got from four months of the anime airing, compared to the previous two volumes.

Volume 9 -- 435,631 regular, 25,712 limited edition after 10 days (released December 7, 2012)
Volume 10 -- 417,414 regular, 30,404 limited edition after 6 days (released April 9, 2013)

Volume 11 -- 764,022 regular, 192,867 limited edition after 3 days (released August 9, 2013)

Look at that anime bump.

yami4ct

Revolutionary Girl Utena 34

Backstory. Much needed backstory. It didn't make a lot of sense, but it did well in explaining the motivations of some characters. I really like the use of the shadow play earlier in the episode to tell the myth and the dream to flesh it out more.

Ok, I guess how I understand what's going on is this
Anthy and Dios were brother and sister long long ago. Dios was a prince with great power, but that power led him to taking ill. In order to protect her brother, Anthy split his light half Dios persona and trapped it in the reverse castle. In doing so, she also doomed herself to a similar fate. I suppose their immortal forms now roam the dueling school as the Akio and Anthy we know. That explains why we're left with such an evil, manipulative Akio and emotionless Anthy.

Interesting. Not sure how I feel with the full on break from reality, but it works well enough. It's not like the reverse castle makes much more sense anyway. Can't wait to see how the show expands on this as we barrel on to the end.

cajunator

Banned
You know at this rate if I do it again, I would need to cut myself off from here to do batch updates instead right?

I think you could do it.

This was when she was a newbie and she had voiced the wonderful Puchiko, so it's no surprise. I think I'll make room for this in the near future.

It does have wonderous nekomimi and kemonomimi. Ichigo and her friends are adorable. Youll like it.

CorvoSol

Megas XLR 210

Coop hardwires his speakers to a quantum drive and turns them up to 11,000, tearing open a wormhole that drops him on the Planet of Kindly Robots, who are frequently being reprogrammed by their evil mentor. Being the good Samaritan that he is, Coop frees them and doesn't even destroy their planet.
Actually it was a prison planet full of dangerous evil giant robots that Coop just set free, but that's what these people get for not realizing yet that they shouldn't pick fights with the goddamn MEGAS.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I was specifically lamenting the eventual lack of Sailor Moon/Doremi/Heartcatch-like experiences! I have no expectations that Mew Mew would be even remotely in the same league.
Haha, true, true, and Mew Mew certainly is not. Hell, the main reason I watched it was because it was :hito enough to catch my attention.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Watched Tsuritama over the last few days, and it was pretty good. Never thought I'd actually like an anime centered on fishing, and the art style is pretty snazzy too. Duck may be my new favorite government organization in an anime. =p

O2HmA6M.gif

cajunator

Banned
Haha, true, true, and Mew Mew certainly is not. Hell, the main reason I watched it was because it was :hito enough to catch my attention.

True. Its one of the more :hito shows out there.

Watched Tsuritama over the last few days, and it was pretty good. Never thought I'd actually like an anime centered on fishing, and the art style is pretty snazzy too. Duck may be my new favorite government organization in an anime. =p

O2HmA6M.gif

Its about to come out on bluray in US :)

Sailor Moon Lewd Stars 172

REDEMPTION AAAAAAA

So the Sega Saturn tried to use its full power to take out Queen Nutella, but Chibiusa stops her, which resulted in the Saturn getting locked in the Sega Vault. Usagi finally shows up just in the nick of time t---- what...

I was expecting them to have Usagi win before Chibiusa faded. NOPE! Killed her off first! They actually had the balls to kill her off, even if I knew she'd come back anyway. After yelling about her pain, she was then redeemed by everyone, and is now reliving her childhood again... which begs me to wonder why didn't this happen at the end of SuperS?

What's interesting to me is two things about this filler arc. One, I was unaware that Toei knew how to make good filler arcs. Wow. Two, on that note of good filler arcs, this was better than SuperS in its entirety. I'd totally take this filler for canon. It's doesn't operate under SuperSilly, but it operates under Lewd Stars rule set to get me ready for what's in store. Rushing to the end because there's not much mangoes left.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Tokyo Mew Mew 1:

Oh hey, it's cajunator.

So this is basically Arjuna for babbys, huh? :lol Environmental overtones, a mysterious blonde bishounen with access to future tech roping a girl into fighting monsters born from man's rapacious destruction of nature. Episode was standard for what it was, and as such it's impossible to truly judge this kind of show until the ensemble is all there. Still, there was no particular spark of wit or energy or visual charisma to entice me to watch any more except as a mere curiosity; it's quite plain and stark in that early digital way and the character designs are the exact sort of typical early 00s cute that I find dull. That said, I probably will watch one or two more. There's romance and even multiple potential suitors, which means it's at least less safe and ultra-reactionary than Precure.

hmmmmmmmmmm...

Tokyo Mew Mew 1:

Oh hey, it's cajunator.

So this is basically Arjuna for babbys, huh? :lol Environmental overtones, a mysterious blonde bishounen with access to future tech roping a girl into fighting monsters born from man's rapacious destruction of nature. Episode was standard for what it was, and as such it's impossible to truly judge this kind of show until the ensemble is all there. Still, there was no particular spark of wit or energy or visual charisma to entice me to watch any more except as a mere curiosity; it's quite plain and stark in that early digital way and the character designs are the exact sort of typical early 00s cute that I find dull. That said, I probably will watch one or two more. There's romance and even multiple potential suitors, which means it's at least less safe and ultra-reactionary than Precure.

hmmmmmmmmmm...

Are we really going to do this? God damn it! Give me a moment.

cajunator

Banned
Tokyo Mew Mew 1:

Oh hey, it's cajunator.

hmmmmmmmmmm...

To be fair I watched this years ago. Before I knew any of you and when I had time to just aatch anime all the time. It was fun entertainment and considering some of the other mahou shoujo I watched was Wedding Peach, well TMM was much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom