• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Well excuse me for not being able to see when half the screen is taken up by a fucking frame and swirling rose and other pretentious, distracting bullshit.

Mickey, Touga and Nanami have all had development beyond their introductory episodes and "obviously not paying attention" has made it clear all the same. Meanwhile special snowflake Juri apparently requires magic fucking laser vision to discern more character beyond what I saw twenty episodes ago.

Fuck her character, and fuck trying to read between the lines in a show that has lines as wiggly as Chu Chu's eyes.

Juri sucks.
I was talking more about the lines that you are misunderstanding Juri's character arc as her wishing to have Shiori's love, which is clearly not the case if you actually bother to listen to her dialogue whenever she talks with the latter character.

CorvoSol

I was talking more about the lines that you are misunderstanding Juri's character arc as her pining for Shiori, which is clearly not the case.

Well I don't know then, because last night everyone was all "I can't believe you missed that it's her pining for Shiori and secret lesbianism."

Fuck Juri. Her character arc is "I FUCKING SUCK. WAH. FUCK."

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Slowly? There's nothing slow about it. They bludgeon you with it in her first episode and every time an episode focuses on Juri its the same dumb thing. "OH NO SHIORI STILL DOESN'T LOVE ME AND STILL DOES BITCHY SHIT TO HURT ME." Fuck, at least Miki isn't still trying to get his sister to play the piano.

Juri is the worst. She has less character development than fucking ANTHY.

Smh

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Well I don't know then, because last night everyone was all "I can't believe you missed that it's her pining for Shiori and secret lesbianism."

Fuck Juri. Her character arc is "I FUCKING SUCK. WAH. FUCK."
There is very little self-pity coming from Juri's part, however. The last two episodes you have watched revolve around other people manipulating her affection, not on Juri acting all emo on her own accord.

Narag

I see how it is Dresden-sama. Already viewing the occupants of this thread as a group that you are separate from and therefore greater than. Soon you'll be declaring yourself the king of the thread and banning everyone in it for the sake of world peace.

I like to imagine him donning a Sengoku Basara Hideyoshi Toyotomi avatar then conquering the thread instead.

Why are lesbians bad but straight people hitting on each other ok?

Since when has that been a bad thing?

bodkkafccaainu7_20130mtsd3.jpg

Superior husbando is popular.

Tis a good day.

CorvoSol

There is very little self-pity coming from Juri's part, however. The last two episodes you have watched revolve around other people manipulating her affection, not on Juri acting all emo on her own accord.

Except for the part where she still cares about Shiori when Shiori was a colossal bitch to her before this show ever started and she should have moved on by now. Juri does this to herself by caring about a girl who hasn't ever done anything but hurt her.

fertygo

Except for the part where she still cares about Shiori when Shiori was a colossal bitch to her before this show ever started and she should have moved on by now. Juri does this to herself by caring about a girl who hasn't ever done anything but hurt her.

And what wrong with that? never happened in this world?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Which is a totally different thing from what you are describing in previous posts. Juri is no Hamlet.

At least you get the point of her character.

Not gonna lie, I got that Ritsu mainly because it came with one of the Mio Nendoroids, but I love that I have her.

Well Nendoroids come with a bunch of parts so you can pose them any which way you want.

I think its more of a commentary on how anime characters look similar

CorvoSol

Which is a totally different thing from what you are describing in previous posts. Juri is no Hamlet.

At least you get the point of her character.

Looks the same as what I've been saying. Juri's episodes are always about how Shiori causes Juri more pain. Which is why I hate episodes that focus on Juri, because it's a one trick episode. At least Mickey isn't trying to get his sister to play the piano, still. Juri's had as much character development as Chu Chu.

And what wrong with that? never happened in this world?

What's wrong with it is that that's all there is to her. If that were one facet of her character, I wouldn't be complaining. Nanami has a huge crush on her older brother. I don't throw a fit during Nanami episodes because Nanami manages to not be a one trick character.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - 13

Man, this show is going to tackle all combat settings is there? First they fight on land, then underground, then near a volcano, then at sea, now in the sky. With all that stuff Kamina spoke about in episode 6 I wouldn’t scoff at the idea of them fighting in space.

OH SHIT YOKO’S PILOTING GURREN IN THIS EPISODE.

mexican-soccer-coach-super-saiyan-gif.gif

Embrace your inner Kallen. Embrace it.

It's too bad she got knocked out quite quickly. It was still awesome though.

Viral was friggin’ awesome in this episode. I have a feeling he just might switch sides sometime in the future.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Looks the same as what I've been saying. Juri's episodes are always about how Shiori causes Juri more pain. Which is why I hate episodes that focus on Juri, because it's a one trick episode. At least Mickey isn't trying to get his sister to play the piano, still. Juri's had as much character development as Chu Chu.
It's how abusive relationships tend to go. People are like that. It's perfectly fine to dislike a character for acting that way, but I think the intention behind the depiction is important before coming to a conclusion.

And you really need to watch the next episode.

DiGiKerot

Not gonna lie, I got that Ritsu mainly because it came with one of the Mio Nendoroids, but I love that I have her.

Well Nendoroids come with a bunch of parts so you can pose them any which way you want.

Huh, they've changed the packaging design as well, I guess.

Also, wait, 310 already? It barely seems like a month since Yuno was released, and that was only 297! I also wonder if this means the just-release Miyako will have a different box design too...

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Thread's dead for half an hour? Let's cheaply reinvigorate it with LIST WARZ.

Temporal AotY rankings:

1. Wolf Chillunz
2. Valvrave
3. Little Witch Academia
4. episode nine of Tamako Market
8. Gargantia
9. Muromi
10. (space reserved for when I watch Aku no Hana)

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - 14
That opening scene with Simon talking
to Kamina’s grave was beautiful. It just goes to show he’s finally turning into a man of his own now. It’s nice to see the cowardly protagonist finally become a man.

Oh boy, this show is turning into Spiral King VS. the world. Now the towns are rallying up against him.

Holy crap these new guys are stupid. Did you people really think that flying straight into the friggin’ vortex was going to solve anything? Just because your leader ran into the nuke doesn’t mean you have to follow!

Ugh, Nia had to be the one to stop those kamikazes. Well it's not like anyone else could have done it.

Nice!
Two generals taken out in one episode! Now we can finally focus on the big bad.

The entire capital
is a giant mech?
Why didn’t I see that coming? It makes perfect sense for a grand finale!

So I'm currently watching Samurai Champloo and I seriously don't know how I never watched this before. This was the only action comedy I can find because the other action comedies were ecchi based, mecha based (which btw I don't like mecha anime), or a long time running show like One Piece or Naruto. So this was the only anime I could find.

First off I've only seen the 1st episode and I'm watching it dubbed. I like how good the action scenes look and not much story was given yet but I'm guessing it revolves around this sunflower guy searching. I'll keep watching and hope this anime lives up to its 1st episode which was pretty good.

Crocodile

Finished Gargantia. Not mindblowing and a bit predictable but I did enjoy the show. I think overall it was well put together and the final episode was very good. Chamber is the best character in the show no doubt. I am a little frustrated though that some of the middle episodes will make this hard to recommend to those not super into anime. I also thought the character designs were a bit too "soft" and "cute" with what they were trying to do; it came off a bit weird in the last few episodes.

On an unrelated note, has a PV for Gatchaman Crowds been released yet? I want to know if I should care about that show or not.

Crocodile

First off I've only seen the 1st episode and I'm watching it dubbed. I like how good the action scenes look and not much story was given yet but I'm guessing it revolves around this sunflower guy searching. I'll keep watching and hope this anime lives up to its 1st episode which was pretty good.

I remember when the first episode aired but before it got subbed, all you saw online was a gif of Fuu "running" (I'm sure you know the scene I'm talking about). I don't think I saw so many people lose faith in a medium/director so quickly before. I was kind of funny to watch, especially after it turned out to be a red herring.

But yeah, the show is fantastic. I hope you have a good time with it.

Temporal AotY rankings:
Alright Ill do mines.
Temporal AotY rankings:
1. Free!
2. Meganebu!
3. Karneval
4. Hakkenden
5. Phi Brain 3rd
6. Cardfight!! Vanguard: Asia Circuit (engDub)
7. Kuroko's Basketball 2
8. This Boy Caught a Merman
9. Valvrave
10. Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Maybe Psychic School Wars would find its way on my list.

Temporal AotY rankings:

1. Wolf Chillunz
2. Valvrave
3. Little Witch Academia
4. episode nine of Tamako Market
8. Gargantia
9. Muromi
10. (space reserved for when I watch Aku no Hana)

You're going to want to move that space for Aku no Hana up.

CorvoSol

Utena 29

Ugh this episode is a two parter? Fun times. Jeez, not only is Utena a nosy nancy, she's a dirty gossip, too. Utena Tenjou is a horrible friend. I kinda like this Ruka guy, mostly because he's the first person who has been willing to tell Jury to her face what a bitch Shiori is. Aside from the whole
light rape going on there. That's sorta much. But then it's kinda hard to expect that someone who hangs out with Touga is a decent human being.

The car song is slick as hell, tho. I would ride in that car. What, no pretty orange princess dress? Jury really is the worst. It's raining and Anthy's glasses aren't covered in droplets? Immersion broken.

Wait, am I supposed to take that shadow speech as literal this time?
Ruka was terminal and only came to school to save Jury? What? Who cares Jury episode blah blah.

cnet128

Banned
Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou 1

The summer season is totally here, you guys! Get hype!

So I have pretty mixed feelings about this show. As I've mentioned, I have like 20 shows that I'm planning to check out this season. There is no way in hell I can watch that many shows, so I'm going to need to be pretty ruthless about dropping stuff - and this show seemed like a top-of-the-line candidate for dropping right off the bat.

You see, I hate dogs. Can't stand the filthy stinking beasts. And if there's one thing this show has, it's dogs. The main character is a dog. The opening theme is full of dog imagery everywhere. It's frankly disgusting.

I can't honestly say the other characters are really my type either. The other main character, who for the purposes of this post I will call writer-girl, is not attractive to me at all. Even her lack of chest is not attractive, and I'm usually totally into that. Her personality...well, she's basically a sadist. This is also not something that I find attractive in a female character. The sub-characters, from what I've seen of them, are no better. At a certain, er, pivotal part of the episode, the main character had some brief flashbacks of a few girls who I can only presume will have roles in the show at some point. None of them looked particularly interesting. At all, really. Basically, everything about the character design in this is screaming at me to drop it right now.

The look of the show is what I can only suitably describe as generic. There's nothing special about it. The animation isn't great, but it isn't heart-wrenchingly terrible either, which I suppose I should consider a positive coming from Gonzo. I still feel slightly traumatised from the experience of watching Speed Grapher back in the day.

But for some reason, after the first episode, I don't feel like dropping this show just yet. I'm not sure why. I guess the whole hook of guy-stuck-in-a-dog's-body is interesting enough on its own to keep me intrigued for the moment. And his obsession with books is actually somewhat endearing. So I guess I'll be watching this for the time being. Hopefully I lose interest after Episode 2 so I can drop this piece of shit in the gutter where it belongs.

Anything else I feel like noting? Oh yes, the main character is voiced by Takahiro Sakurai, which works quite nicely. I don't think I heard anything from that guy last season, which is strange considering he was pretty active in the seasons beforehand (Jin in Sakurasou, Shirokuma in Shirokuma Cafe, Makishima in Psycho-Pass and so forth). At any rate, it looks like he's back with a vengeance this season, since in addition to voicing the main character in this, he's also the main character in Uchoten Kazoku and has a fairly major role in Danganronpa. Can't really complain.

Anyway, that's my first series of the Summer season down. Now to wait until Wednesday for Free!, which is sure to be a similarly awkward experience. Sigh.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - 15

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Final Boss everyone!

Hilarious Street Fighter comparison aside, it looks like the first arc is now over!

I gotta say, that wasn’t as dramatic as I expected it to be. Don’t get me wrong, is was in no way terrible, or even lackluster. The victory seemed more ominous than grandiose. I guess they’re saving it for the second arc. Looks like the Spiral King
was trying to prevent something much bigger than him.

All in all, it was great to see Simon become a man.

Now what direction is the show going to go in now? Well that’s simple. Forward. Awesome first arc, hopefully the second one does not disappoint!

Kagami

OK, tentative AOTY rankings.

1. Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS
2. Haganai NEXT
3. Valvrave
4. I'm so behind on spring shows what am I doing spending time here

Now that I'm done with all the spring shows that I started...

Spring Season Ratings:

1. Hataraku Maou-sama!
2. Aku no Hana
3. SNAFU
4. Attack on Titan
5. Hentai Ouji
T6. Gargantia
T6. Railgun S2

------

T8. Crime Edge
T8. Valvrave
10. Red Data Girl