• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Naruto Shippuden 373

Pretty disappointed with the poor animation.

You think the moment when the other characters showed off their new skills and Team 7 used their summonings would have been given some priorities.

They're probably pooling their resources for 375 which is another Yamashita directed episode. He did 322 (Madara) and 345 (Mist Ninja) so this should be good too.

I forgot it earlier but Sasuke summoning snakes seems like yet another asspull.

Looking forward to the rest of these impressions.

:D Glad to hear it.

In Fate/Zero what order would you put the Servants in, from great to not so great. Just wanting to know people's opinions.

Berserker>Saber>Archer>Lancer>Rider=Caster>Assassin.

Terra Formars OVA

Holy shit was that great despite being rushed. Though considering it was bundled with the manga I guess it was just a teaser for the main series in the fall. But man the way those roaches are animated is far more creeper than the manga, the way they say Jung is so awesome. The bug transformations were good. Anyways can't wait for the TV series.

Yeah if you hate roaches and feel utterly disgusted of them, your not gonna feel comfortable watching this.

Link Man

Banned
Rider > Archer > Saber > Lancer > Caster > Berserker > Assassin

Berserker>Saber>Archer>Lancer>Rider=Caster>Assassin.

ivpczfyu6ItEf.jpg

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Legend of Korra Season 3, Episodes 12 and 13

I think we can call this season truly the redemption of the Legend of Korra. At long last this series has realized some of the wasted potential. I am looking very forward to Book 4 if it happens.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Firstly, there are plenty of occasions where the background is changed substantially, or even switched out for a completely different location. Just look at any of their BD/TV comparisons. This changes the mood, and occasionally, even the meaning of those shots (e.g. Maimi's room in Madoka). Sometimes they do a fine job establishing tone and mood with their backgrounds, but at other times it just looks like a cheap cop-out.

Whether or not other anime do a job with their backgrounds is, I think, irrelevant. Backgrounds are vital in establishing setting, mood and tone. They also tell us about the story and the characters depicted in it. They form a substantial part of many shots and therefore are a great details of the mise-en-scene in any given frame. They also draw the viewer into a scene, and into a world, and make us feel like we're wrapped up in the what's going on. To quote Oshii:

"For the longest time, backgrounds in animation were nothing more than something to fill the space behind the characters. Inside the house, there are walls and tatami mats on the floor, and if you go outside, if there are drainpipes, it would be an open lot. That was all there was to it. But in my projects, that's not how it works. The background and the characters have to be even. You have to take it as far as making the character a part of the background, or you're not really depicting a world."

When SHAFT chop and change their backgrounds (sometimes multiple times in the case of all the Madoka releases) it just shows they fail to understand this aspect of their craft fully.
I think the thing with the Oshii quote is that a lot of Shaft shows aren't interested in depicting worlds whatsoever. All of their settings are some surrealistic version of "Japan", never trying to depict any specific location... there isn't an attempt to photograph real buildings to use as a reference point and whatnot. Heck, this goes for the geometry of buildings and rooms, where it's clear that these are just thrust stages for the characters rather than any representation of a real space.
They use the backgrounds to frame the characters/shots, and use very basic colours to establish tone and mood... and perhaps this makes me the ultimate apologist, but I find that perfectly fine. Much like, say, the way a comic book will often have just vague blobs as backgrounds because the focus is on the characters. (I suppose one might argue that said artist could also be incompetent. lol)

Somewhere Mandoric is crying right now.
Heh.

I can't agree that monogatari has strong writing. I find the shit appalling in the same sense that firehawk hated SAO.
Oh you!

If monogatari is considered crappy writing SAO would be literally monkeys smashing their hrads into keyboards.

Though nise is pretty questionable
The problem with Nise is that toothbrush episode. It makes people forget the rest of the series. lol

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
It was enjoyable for how short it is. It sadly suffered the same fate as other OVA's of rushing character development and such. Good thing about OVA's is no censors though. Im sure the Anime will be better.

sonicmj1

I think the thing with the Oshii quote is that a lot of Shaft shows aren't interested in depicting worlds whatsoever. All of their settings are some surrealistic version of "Japan", never trying to depict any specific location... there isn't an attempt to photograph real buildings to use as a reference point and whatnot. Heck, this goes for the geometry of buildings and rooms, where it's clear that these are just thrust stages for the characters rather than any representation of a real space.
They use the backgrounds to frame the characters/shots, and use very basic colours to establish tone and mood... and perhaps this makes me the ultimate apologist, but I find that perfectly fine. Much like, say, the way a comic book will often have just vague blobs as backgrounds because the focus is on the characters. (I suppose one might argue that said artist could also be incompetent. lol)

No surprise that Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru, the one show of theirs that is built almost entirely in real spaces well-established with backgrounds, is their best work.

Midonin

Invaders 07

MY SOUL BURNS FOR ZECT!

I am such a sucker for tokusatsu references. Explaining Hercules' nature with a video clip from what is obviously the Kamen Rider Kabuto movie just made the episode for me. The rest of it was pretty sweet as well. Clan wasn't much of an antagonist, especially if her Plan B was foiled by Yurika, but the main point of this was that Tulip now respects Kotaro a little more, and the show remains equal parts chaotic, sweet and all around really, really good. And going by the episode preview, we're about to go into Yurika's arc. Yurika has quickly become my favorite girl because the universe hates her. It makes me want to cheer her on more.

This is your time to shine, you magical girl.

Jex

They use the backgrounds to frame the characters/shots, and use very basic colours to establish tone and mood... and perhaps this makes me the ultimate apologist, but I find that perfectly fine. Much like, say, the way a comic book will often have just vague blobs as backgrounds because the focus is on the characters. (I suppose one might argue that said artist could also be incompetent.
I understand what they seem to be going for but it's not particularly consistent or effective, it just looks amateurish most of the time. I think Dusk Maiden of Amnesia showed how could use the convey the same ideas while still having actually attractive art.

If they wanted to make it a basically just a theatre with people talking I wish they would at least make the stage and curtains slightly less ugly.

mankoto

Glasslip 8
I've finally lost track of what's actually going on at this point outside of the fact that Touko can't keep herself in check.

Shergal

There's a fairly noticeable difference between SHAFT circa 2009, which had the capability of creating good things, and the soulless husk of a company that exists now. Just because Shinbo keeps plastering his name on things he doesn't make in the first place doesn't mean the studio hasn't changed!

cajunator

Banned
There's a fairly noticeable difference between SHAFT circa 2009, which had the capability of creating good things, and the soulless husk of a company that exists now. Just because Shinbo keeps plastering his name on things he doesn't make in the first place doesn't mean the studio hasn't changed!

I will always love Shaft Studio for things like Moonphase. Bless that company.

Sailor Moon 29

Hopefully this means less Motoki because he does nothing for me. Pretty ehh episodes that mostly served to remove Motoki from Usagi's crush list (I hope)

Midonin

Tokyo ESP 07

I fully support Murasaki starting to find her inner hero. The show's shifted tone a bit in these first seven episodes, and I'm still finding it enjoyable. It convinced me to give Ga-Rei a shot at some point in the future, at least.

Don't worry he we be phased out sooner or later.

Oh I know (I honestly didn't remember him at all until I started rewatching SM though Viz) it's just weird that he has such a large focus in these early when he really hasn't done anything other then been a throw away crush for Usagi

Midonin

The live action version of Motoki is better. He gets an entire story arc with Makoto. And a smaller one with Nephrite. A love of turtles, too. It also has a better Naru, though Umino has been excised entirely.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Oh I know (I honestly didn't remember him at all until I started rewatching SM though Viz) it's just weird that he has such a large focus in these early when he really hasn't done anything other then been a throw away crush for Usagi

You get a lot of that in season one, witness Rei and Mamoru being an actual couple for a little while.

Clov

I still think Shaft is capable of good work. They just need the right material to use. Even Hanamonogatari was well done, despite a rough first segment.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Episode 21:

A much better outing the the last couple of episodes and I like the curve ball of a stand introduced this week, yes, capital job.

Sailor Moon 30

I'm gonna look like a huge weirdo with this post, but having seen SM:C version of Rei it's hard to go back to this old Rei. She was always annoying but now it's 10x as obnioxious. I know I'm in the minority on this opinion so I'll move on from this.

All in all this was a pretty decent episode, one of the few times we knew about a character before they became a monster, wish they had done more with it. The fight was too much of a comedy bit with Rei not once transforming and spending the entire fight running... and I guess we're establishing the new guy so that Rei and Mamoru can split up so that Usagi can date Mamoru later on down the line.

I hope the soulless company releases another Hidamari.

santeesioux

Looks like the Cowboy Bebop blu rays on Amazon went up to $90, hope everyone that wanted them already preordered when they were 20 bucks cheaper (i didn't).

Tokyo Ghoul 1-8

This shit isn't actively trying to justify cannibalism under the guise of we're just some misunderstood people eaters is it? Cause if it is this is where I get off the boat. I have to draw the line somewhere with the whole "lets feel bad for the monsters/villian" cliche anime/manga loves to do. It's a shame too cause this had an interesting premise, but I'm slowly starting to become offended by it now.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira 1-2

So what is this? Higurashi on crack? Never did watch these OVA's cause of a couple previews and some bad reviews. Figured I'd take a crack at them having watched the whole series all the way through again-these are the only OVA's for the series I haven't seen. Not sure what the hell this is or if I even like it at this point.

Hurts my head that Deen is invovled with Ryukishi07. I'll never get a proper Umineko anime and not a Deen abortion because of it.

I'm watching Ore no Imouto these days (will post reviews later), and told my friend that I hated Ayase and her prejudice. He told me I would love her in season 2, and I doubted it. So I made a bet with him that I would put on a Senjougahara avatar here if I started liking Ayase on season 2...but I'm sure that wil not happen.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
No surprise that Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru, the one show of theirs that is built almost entirely in real spaces well-established with backgrounds, is their best work.
madp would agree with me in saying that it's Natsu no Arashi, and that is probably their most "conventional" series where they depicted both modern Japan and WW2-era Japan.

I understand what they seem to be going for but it's not particularly consistent or effective, it just looks amateurish most of the time. I think Dusk Maiden of Amnesia showed how could use the convey the same ideas while still having actually attractive art.

If they wanted to make it a basically just a theatre with people talking I wish they would at least make the stage and curtains slightly less ugly.
I guess thinking about it more, in many ways their shows do feel like "motion comics" in that you're watching panels in a comic more than something that's trying to resemble a filmed narrative. The fact that they go through the billion ways to try to make dialog visually interesting probably adds to that.

jbug617

Banned
Have the goodies even been listed yet?

Yeah. I think this is set is better for display purposes.
Exclusive tri-fold packaging in the style of a vintage record cover
Display easel
Four exclusive art cards
One additional exclusive art card with foil-stamp autograph from series director Shinichiro Watanabe
On-disc extras TBA

Tokyo Ghoul 1-8

This shit isn't actively trying to justify cannibalism under the guise of we're just some misunderstood people eaters is it? Cause if it is this is where I get off the boat. I have to draw the line somewhere with the whole "lets feel bad for the monsters/villian" cliche anime/manga loves to do. It's a shame too cause this had an interesting premise, but I'm slowly starting to become offended by it now.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira 1-2

So what is this? Higurashi on crack? Never did watch these OVA's cause of a couple previews and some bad reviews. Figured I'd take a crack at them having watched the whole series all the way through again-these are the only OVA's for the series I haven't seen. Not sure what the hell this is or if I even like it at this point.

Hurts my head that Deen is invovled with Ryukishi07. I'll never get a proper Umineko anime and not a Deen abortion because of it.

Like I said once, the Anime isn't doing any justice to the manga. Rushing, rearranging arcs, and skipping so many important things such as character development. So your just better off reading Tokyo Ghouls manga than watching the anime if you have a problem with it.

Yeah. I think this is set is better for display purposes.

wait shit I care more for aesthetics than actual goodies. I mean the hell is a clamshell art box?

I guess I'll wait to see how the full box looks for Amazon and Funimation before I decide to cancel my order or not. I mean Amazon has the colored art books and crap like that, but I don't care too terribly much for that.

Like I said once, the Anime isn't doing any justice to the manga. Rushing, rearranging arcs, and skipping so many important things such as character development. So your just better off reading Tokyo Ghouls manga than watching the anime if you have a problem with it.

Well how much more different is the manga to anime in this case? I take it they're poetic license angle a little too far? Some of the characters, from what I've seen of the anime, are so one-dimensional I have a tough time digesting it all no pun intended. It just feels like a gorey shounen right now. From the intro I take it the main protagonist is gonna get some kind super saiyan power up that turns his hair white? or some business.

I just really am not feeling the anime right now or the current sanctimonious themes they're ramming down my throat. It's painful to say the least. I haven't read any of the manga yet so I have no solid references to go by.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon 30

I'm gonna look like a huge weirdo with this post, but having seen SM:C version of Rei it's hard to go back to this old Rei. She was always annoying but now it's 10x as obnioxious. I know I'm in the minority on this opinion so I'll move on from this.

All in all this was a pretty decent episode, one of the few times we knew about a character before they became a monster, wish they had done more with it. The fight was too much of a comedy bit with Rei not once transforming and spending the entire fight running... and I guess we're establishing the new guy so that Rei and Mamoru can split up so that Usagi can date Mamoru later on down the line.

They toned down Rei after season one but I have noted in my reviews that Rei could and indeed become the Sasuke of this series. See, the DiC dub of the show actually turned Rei into a full on rival usurper who would try to undermine Usagi in order to become the new leader of the scouts. I'll get to the lowest point of this when we come to that plot point.

PK Gaming

Log Horizon 14

The plot thickens...! There actually seems to be a tangible penalty to dying, though
i'm worried that they'll use that plot point as an annoying contrivance down the line; the protagonists have *died* before, which means dying once doesn't result in a significant loss in memory. I really hope the aime consistent in that regard.
In any case, Shiroe's thoughts pretty much mirror my own. Even if
dying once only causes a insignificant amount of memory loss, it's still an unpleasant prospect. Definitely a cool twist

I'm really starting to like #TeamRookie. Since the protagonists are extremely high leveled, I thought we weren't going to get a rookie perspective, but the Lagrange forest arc is the perfect way of conveying that perspective. Hopefully Minori steps up to the plate in the next episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom