• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enron

Banned
You've gone too far this time.

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT PATLABOR

Edit: Me reading this thread

patlabor_ova_review_screenshot_6.jpg

School-Live 6
The episode was kind of oddly paced. They finally confirmed that
Megu-nee is dead, even though most figured that a while back even without the manga. It still hurts that they kept beating that point in with the credits and even the preview though.
The other girl's coping methods seem interesting as well

Sterok

Aikatsu 112

Starlight is pushing Ichigo hard. I guess they're banking on her being their Mizuki replacement. When did Ran become a producer? Sometimes I don't know whether she or Akari is the bigger butt monkey. Aoi wears that strawberry proudly. Go Go Ichigo Cheer Squad does not sound like a lasting unit name. Akari seems to be decent at improv speeches. The new trio is good, but they've got a ways to go before they can think about matching Soleil's early days.

I should watch the movie after episode 114 right?

javac

What are y'all talking about?
I'd take Kanuka over Noa any day of the week.

Kanuka is badass, I like whole cast of Patlabor, I mean why stop there, Shinobu is also an amazing character. The chemistry between her and Goto is beautiful. And I loved Kumagami too, awesome character. However, Noa is just amazing. The only character I adore as much as her is Misa. These aren't characters that you lust over, they're just amazing in every way, shape and form. Man...just amazing characters.

javac

Cool never noticed the Kei and Yuri cameo in Patlabor.

Been a while since I watched it but I remember Noa's design differing between the tv series and ova.
The crew do look a tiny bit different in the Early Days OVA and likewise the movies, but not by much I'd say, still recognizable and consistent enough throughout :) Post 14431 being a good example of the difference in the OVA.

Andrew J.

So what is everyone going to watch during Fall Anime Season?

Here's mine
Young Black Jack (prequel to the original Black Jack by Osamu Tezuka)
Noragami season 2
OnePunch Man
Concrete Revolutio (Bones anime original)
Haikyuu season 2
Owarimonogatari (once I finish watching the others)
Bones
The Perfect Insider (Inio Asano designs)
Osomatsu-san

Also here's the seasonal chart https://www.livechart.me/fall-2015/tv.

That time of the thread, huh? My list:

Gundam: Iron-blooded Orphans
Heavy Object
Lupin III
Onepunch Man
Owarimonogatari
Testament Burst
Yuruyuri S3

Tuck

Theres another Garo anime premiering this fall... I thought it was a sequel to the one that aired over Fall/Winter, but its not?

Thats... kind of disappointing. But if its as good as that show was, I'll certainly be watching.

Berserk Movie [1/3] - The Egg of the King

Having recently caught up to the manga (just in time for the new chapter!) I decided to go back. I have already seen the anime series so I'm trying the movies. And what a fucking tease they start with (they are of characters who appear after the movies/show).
The CG. Holy fuck. Sometimes I had to re-watch small bits because I was too distracted by staring at the PS2 levels of CG. Just look at the transition, 2D into pure stiff and janky ass. Berserk deserves better.

There are plenty of moments where characters are somewhat far away from the camera, that they sneak in QUALITY, but they aren't THAT far away, so it's still rather noticeable.

The soundtrack is alright, I found at least one to my liking, but it doesn't triumph the great (albeit somewhat overused) soundtrack of the old show. Some of the more iconic scenes didn't feel as.. impact-full to me.
Now I may very well be in favor of the show for experiencing it first, but to me it just doesn't compare. Guts and Griffith's first meeting is played by this mysterious tune in the show, and is used throughout it and during a very specific scene which makes it even more emotional for me. In the movie? Nothing. That bummed me out.

As for the story and what they decided to skip over or rush, I noticed that they pretty much made Guts background (Gambino etc) into a 2 minute shaky images scene. And it didn't make much sense either. Otherwise I think they got the most parts right from what I can recall. My memory isn't the best so I may very well be wrong though.
I did enjoy some of the background work. Mainly in the nature areas. The castle walls and interiors isn't much of a looker.

All this said I still enjoyed the movie because what drags this down isn't the story or the characters. However, everything this movie did, the two counterparts does better in my opinion, so I doubt I will ever re watch this. I need to collect all the still shots from the show so I have yet another reason to re watch that.
I'll still check out the other movies to see how they compare. I've heard some good things about the third one.

School Live 06

I mean it was pretty obvious by now the whole situation with Megu-nee, but they still decided to address it formally and show it to the viewers from a "normal" view point. All and all I liked the episode. There's something incredibly disturbing to me, because they all still manage to do "fun" activities even with everything going on outside. Maybe it just shows their strength, or it gives them something to hold on to in the middle of all that despair.

Berserk Movie [1/3] - The Egg of the King

The Berserk movies are decent but serve pretty much no purpose. They recap the same material as the great TV series. When you have the great tv series and the amazing manga I don't know why they really exist. If they were adapted from the Tower of Conviction arc they would probably be better received, as it stands its the third version of Golden Age and the worst yet.

But yes the CGI is bad and the Eclipse film is something else.

The Berserk movies are decent but serve pretty much no purpose. They recap the same material as the great TV series. When you have the great tv series and the amazing manga I don't know why they really exist. If they were adapted from the Tower of Conviction arc they would probably be better received, as it stands its the third version of Golden Age and the worst yet.

they exist because they'll eventually make more

one day

and frankly I can get friends to catch up with the series faster and with better action.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 7:

You know this thing gets halfway decent when they focus on the murder mystery stuff and then the proceed to give me a headache with the garish bullshit starts appearing.

Cornbread78

Amagami SS ep.5-9
Initially, I was a little iffy on the 4 episode arcs to tell these stories, but they play out as short movies and are pretty well written. In this Kaoru arc, it was good to see a childhood friend actually getting some love for once. On top of that, the sceneries are pretty well played out and depict realistic romance and relationship moments. Good stuff.
Oh, it was a bellybutton kiss this time. I'm sensing a theme for odd first kisses, lol.

Squishy3

Except for the part where the TV series decided to remove Skull Knight entirely for reasons

KanameYuuki

So Crunchyroll finally added God Eater, awww yeah, I'll finally be able to watch it.

Right now I feel that I should start watching One Piece but I'm not so sure, I mean, I have 7XX episodes to catch, that's way too much. But if it is as fun as HxH then I would totally watch it.

So Crunchyroll finally added God Eater, awww yeah, I'll finally be able to watch it.

Right now I feel that I should start watching One Piece but I'm not so sure, I mean, I have 7XX episodes to catch, that's way too much. But if it is as fun as HxH then I would totally watch it.

It is my duty to tell every One Piece hopeful this -

Please, please save yourself some time and skip the anime. It's notoriously low quality and is an exercise in stretching out the time slot. The manga will take you 1/10th the time and has far better art.

Please, please save yourself some time and skip the anime. It's notoriously low quality and is an exercise in stretching out the time slot. The manga will take you 1/10th the time and has far better art.

The anime is fine until around episode 200(and you should also skip the fillers), after that yeah it's crap and super slow.

It only starts going low quality after the Water 7/Enies Lobby arc. However the Thriller Bark, Amazon lily, Impel Down, and Saboedy arc were good.

Then again I feel like the anime really went to shit after the timeskip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom