• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

javac

Breh.

Tezuka Productions.

Tezuka.

Tezuka.

He is pretty much the most important figure in Japanese animation and he laid down the foundations that are still used today.

Yup, we started with Astro Boy and now we here. The show still holds up to this day, fucking incredible. 1963. Everything he established is still the backbone of this industry to this day from the workflow to the infrastructure and the way everything is done and run. The father of anime and manga indeed. Just talking about him makes me feel humbled.

Maybe I should of worded more clearly, but I've seen some of their old anime like Astro Boy and a little bit of Black Jack. I was just wondering how much of their modern animation keeps up currently.

Maybe I should of said Modern Tezuka Productions as of right now to be more clear.

They don't make a lot. Maybe a project once every 2-3 years. People seemed to really like Kids on the Slope.

They are kind of like Tatsunoko I guess.

cajunator

Banned
You guys missed out.

It's based off of a series of drama CDs and otome games (games for girls where you control a female character and have your pick of various men to get with). All of the guys are various degrees of sadistic/yandere/crazy and continuously abuse the main character. They're also all vampires and suck her blood a lot. "Rape fantasy" may be a strong/loaded term here, but that's sort of what it is. The game apparently did enough to get a sequel, so there's an audience for it. Anyway it's very bad and also completely hilarious.

Lol thats so messed up.
Who greenlighted that crap?

Droplet

Are you kidding me! Continue on damn it! Its the greatest show of all time, just do it! D: The Griffin arc is awesome and there's more Patlabor shenanigans, trust me. You're making me sad now :( Plus you need to get to the sequel which is also incredible! Please don't make me sad :(

...ok...I want an Izumi avatar too so I'll persevere. For you. I guess.

Sterok

Aikatsu 110

This has been bugging me for awhile, but why are designers so difficult to work with? You'd think idols with all the attention, responsibility, power, and ego they get would be harder to work with, but it's the designers that are always a massive headache to deal with. Also, I think this is the first episode without any presence from the old cast.

Ninja Slayer 18

I have no idea what this show is trying to be anymore. The overarching plot is less coherent then G-Reco and the mini-arcs don't really mean anything in the long run anyway.

But Yukano is using her breasts to aim her bow and that's some High School of the Dead shit

sbc2FHz.jpg

Mandelbo

Gakkou Gurashi 06

Well, it finally happened.
The reveal of Megu-nee being a figment of Yuki's poor, broken mind was pretty cool though. Also proof that Yuki isn't doing both her voice and Megu-nee's.
I'm interested to see where the anime goes from here given that it's only halfway through and
there's not an awful lot else left to reveal. We don't know if Megu-nee turned into a zombie or not, although the grave on the roof suggests that she didn't and that the students were able to reclaim her corpse. Although, the ribbon tied around the cross may be the only thing they could find of her, so there's that too.
What I'd kinda like to happen is have the survivors begin to run out of supplies (which haven't seemed to be an issue yet) and gradually start wasting away, the hopelessness of the situation becoming ever more obvious. They're never going to graduate, and it seems unlikely help is ever going to come, even if people knew they were still alive. In reality, all they're doing is putting off the inevitable and it would be interesting seeing the characters come to terms with that. Basically I want it to turn into a zombie apocalypse version of When the Wind Blows.

Mushishi Next Passage 03

Some plot holes such as why was Toki able to breath underwater but again another great episode. The scene after Tae is pulled from the water was well done and you could feel the direness of her situation. Toki's trek to the village as he rediscovers himself has to be one of the best scenes in the series.

javac

...ok...I want an Izumi avatar too so I'll persevere. For you. I guess.

:) Seriously, the whole show is amazing. I know I don't have to sell it to you because you've already witnessed the greatness that is Patlabor firsthand, however you should really continue. Patlabor at its best is when its episodic but the Griffon arc is incredible, trust me. Please don't let that taint your opinion of what lays ahead of you, so much fantastic content is at your fingertips, ready to be watched. Patlabor still continues to be Patlabor until the very end. After the TV series watch The New Files OVA, it contains my favorite episodes in the whole franchise if not my favorite episodes from any anime, period. You'll know which ones they are when you see them :)

Continue watching the show, its amazing all the way to the end and the Griffon arc itself is incredible, tense, well written and without a doubt the same Patlabor you know and love. The quality doesn't dip at all, it just gets better and better! You won't regret it!

And yes, Noa Izumi is amazing :)

but.. Hajime :(

NOA!!!!

cajunator

Banned
:) Seriously, the whole show is amazing. I know I don't have to sell it to you because you've already witnessed the greatness that is Patlabor firsthand, however you should really continue. Patlabor at its best is when its episodic but the Griffon arc is incredible, trust me. Please don't let that taint your opinion of what lays ahead of you, so much fantastic content is at your fingertips, ready to be watched. Patlabor still continues to be Patlabor until the very end. After the TV series watch The New Files OVA, it contains my favorite episodes in the whole franchise if not my favorite episodes from any anime, period. You'll know which ones they are when you see them :)

Continue watching the show, its amazing all the way to the end and the Griffon arc itself is incredible, tense, well written and without a doubt the same Patlabor you know and love. The quality doesn't dip at all, it just gets better and better! You won't regret it!

And yes, Noa Izumi is amazing :)

NOA!!!!

At least pick a cute 90s girl!

Enron

Banned
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH ALL OF YOU

I WILL NOT TOLERATE THIS

Anyone who shittalks Noa should be banished to toonamiGAF

Patlabor is too good for you jerkfaces

Try Young Black Jack and OnePunch Man, they're definitely worth considering a try.

I would also recommend that Gundam anime that's airing in the Fall but it's being written by Okada so.....😌
I never watched Black Jack so this is a "prequel" of sorts? And one punch man I'll probably check out because of the GAF hype lol

Sterok

Aikatsu 111

It's nice to see things from the perspective of the fans once in awhile, seeing that these are the people the idols perform for. It only took over 100 episodes to get an explanation on what those avatar things were. They weren't just a way to cheap out on the character models for the audience. Or they were, but they've got an excuse at least. Akari and Sumire do need some help in the person to person interaction department. That was always one of Aoi's specialties, and it seems that Hinaki is good at it too.

javac

Noa is the best, seriously like I'm not even being ironic or funny, really talk. She's just a phenomenal character in a phenomenal show. She's unlike other female characters in anime and that goes for the rest of the cast including the male cast. Everyone is just fully realized and fleshed out. The character building and the things that motivates Noa and her chemistry between herself and Asuma is just so natural and rewarding. Just stunning writing all around. Patlabor man...fucking Patlabor.

I never watched Black Jack so this is a "prequel" of sorts? And one punch man I'll probably check out because of the GAF hype lol

Young Black Jack is the prequel to the original Black Jack, it's basically Black Jack in his younger days. So there wouldn't be a problem just watching the Young Black Jack.

Also here's the PV for it, if you want to see a glimpse of it even if it barely shows anything.

Yeah OnePunch Man is definitely a anime you should consider to watch, however the manga will be much better than it because of the godlike art by Murata. Although since the staff behind it is solid it will probably turn out good.

UberTag

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH ALL OF YOU

I WILL NOT TOLERATE THIS

Anyone who shittalks Noa should be banished to toonamiGAF

Patlabor is too good for you jerkfaces
It saddens me that there are anime enthusiasts who haven't watched the 2nd Patlabor movie.

Well, that's one pit of vipers I stepped into today.

I like tomboys though, I'll keep that show in the back of my head for a rainy day if she's so wonderfull, Patlabors right?

javac

Well, that's one pit of vipers I stepped into today.

I like tomboys though, I'll keep that show in the back of my head for a rainy day if she's so wonderfull, Patlabors right?

Yup its a series called Patlabor (Mobile Police Patlabor). These are the two timelines, Movie Timeline and TV Timeline. I generally suggest starting with the TV Timeline. Incredible series.

TUSR

Banned
Ninja Slayer 18

I have no idea what this show is trying to be anymore. The overarching plot is less coherent then G-Reco and the mini-arcs don't really mean anything in the long run anyway.

But Yukano is using her breasts to aim her bow and that's some High School of the Dead shit
Legitimately forgot this show existed.

javac

what about minipato D:

Hah MiniPato is also amazing, no idea where that would fit in for a newcomer, technically it would come at the start since its somewhat of an introduction but at the same time its more fan service than anything (I mean that in the best way possible!) so maybe that comes at the end as a supplement since once the show is done you'll cry yourself to sleep every night if not for more Patlabor. Basically, yes MiniPato is amazing.

javac

I'm glad that we got to talk a bit about Patlabor and Noa, I feel that this day has served its purpose. Everyone needs to watch the series. Hopefully we can do this again
so I can put that massive folder full of Noa pics to good use <_<
. Now to watch some Space Cobra. This day just gets better and better.

UberTag

Gakkou Gurashi 06

As it is right now, I don't particularily hate that the show focuses mostly on Yuki to the detriment of the rest of the cast, but I feel like they could've done a lot more with her rather than giving us
six episodes of everybody pretending that things were still alright and that Megu-nee was still there for Yuki.

I would've loved it if the two other girls hadn't barged in just as Miki was confronting Yuki about a particularily delicate matter... but no, they had to interrupt the tense moment and later give Miki an expository infodump.
The manga easily did a much better job of addressing the Miki-Yuki conflict and expanded on it fully in a way that made sense and actually turned what has been the central theme of the anime thus far on its proverbial head. While this may be revisited at some point, I think they felt it more important to rush through this material as quickly as possible.

Mandelbo

The manga easily did a much better job of addressing the Miki-Yuki conflict and expanded on it fully in a way that made sense and actually turned what has been the central theme of the anime thus far on its proverbial head. While this may be revisited at some point, I think they felt it more important to rush through this material as quickly as possible.
Could you expand on this a bit? In this regard, how much is the anime diverging from the manga?

jonjonaug

Could you expand on this a bit? In this regard, how much is the anime diverging from the manga?

About two chapters were cut out here. In the manga Miki is still apprehensive when dealing with Yuki after the sports festival and spends time trying to snap her out of it, much to Kurumi and especially Yuri's chargin. Yuri nearly loses it. Afterward Miki tries confronting Yuki about her symptoms, and how they don't actually match up with "real" mental disorders. Yuki blows her off and Miki attempts to leave in response, but Yuki brings her back (they both narrowly escape getting killed in the process). Afterward they have a long talk, and Miki realizes that at least on some level Yuki knows what happened and that her "hallucinations" are a mix of actual delusions and maintaining a front so that Yuri and Kurumi can function. From there their relationship is much the same as it is at the end of this episode.

I recommend reading the manga if you want a slightly alternate take on events. The anime is good, but the manga is a bit better. Particularly in this case. Not that I blame the anime for not being as good as the manga here, if they were going to cut down content for time anywhere this was the place to do it. I am a bit sad we didn't get these two pages though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom