• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

This very good
don't give a fuck what anyone says this anime is great

not this season tho

I second this. KLK was definitely a very enjoyable show for me, and the people I know who have watched it apparently liked it as well.

While it's also an older show, Madoka was another anime original I really liked.

Isn't the latest Gatchaman reboot an original series as well?

Cornbread78

Charlotte is the only non-short show that has started a first season that I could possibly recommend and even then your mileage with it may vary, it's fun enough to at least try out the first few episodes, ep 1 doesn't represent the series well though.

Avoid Classroom Crisis like the plague.

Hey, Classroom Crisis isn't that bad, lol.

Why? Genuine question.

It's like making a soup and throwing everything you can find in it, maybe the intention is nice but when you taste it it's going to taste like shit bland since there's nothing coherent to it.

The setting/premise is different enough to keep me interested. While it is a bit all over the place in terms of tone and presentation, I don't necessarily think it's that incoherent. Characters are a bit cookie-cutter, but just happen to be the archetypes I like.

Also, if anything is bland, it is the same Key elements being recycled again in Charlotte.

Razmos

At last 1 of the bikers was seen this season and named part of the biker gang, Dragon Zombie.
The blue scarf guy and red eyes are both characters that were in the first season.
I didn't really find this arc memorable when I read the LN, but it wasn't so bad animated..
Ah! you are right, the red eyed girl in particular looked familiar, I looked it up and I remember who they are now.

It's easy to forget about some of these characters after so long. There's a LOT of them at this point, and for relatively minor characters to show up out of the blue this late in the game is crazy.

Hyoka - 11

Well this episode was intense. Wasn't expecting a confrontation like that with Irisu.

I gotta say, this show is really impressive. I'm really enjoying just how much more depth these mysteries and characters have than they would normally seem.

Still, I can't say anything real spectacular has shown up yet. Though apparently the student festival that everyone loves about this show is next, so I'll see how that goes down.

But yeah, I'm definitely enjoying the show as it is now.

TUSR

Banned
Hyoka - 11

Well this episode was intense. Wasn't expecting a confrontation like that with Irisu.

I gotta say, this show is really impressive. I'm really enjoying just how much more depth these mysteries and characters have than they would normally seem.

Still, I can't say anything real spectacular has shown up yet. Though apparently the student festival that everyone loves about this show is next, so I'll see how that goes down.

But yeah, I'm definitely enjoying the show as it is now.

watch 11.5

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sora ga Seiyuu continues to be interesting probably only to me and me alone. I thought they would have run out of jobs to cover, but foreign film dubbing and recording audio books is something I didn't even think voice actors would do. But I guess it makes sense to just do everything, as opposed to the American market where foreign film dubs are no names and audio book readers are either the author or a famous comedian.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Has anyone watched Planetes?

Fucking phenomenal anime. Top-ten worthy.
Yeah, as probably one of the few hard science fiction shows around, I quite enjoyed it... although the ending was a bit sappy.

And I guess the funny thing is that there are still people who hate space exploration because "we aren't solving our own problems on Earth". That will probably never change.

save 11.5 for after the series, works better that way
nintendo listen to this.
In my opinion, that's really the wrong way to watch it. At that point, there's actually no point in watching 11.5.

jonjonaug

I've kind of realized that I seem to just watch adaptions of LN/manga that I've liked.
Any good, non-adaption anime out this season?

At last 1 of the bikers was seen this season and named part of the biker gang, Dragon Zombie.
The blue scarf guy and red eyes are both characters that were in the first season.
I didn't really find this arc memorable when I read the LN, but it wasn't so bad animated.
---------
I ended up being reminded about an old anime I liked The Irresponsible Captain Tylor.
Looking it up on Wikipedia it was originally a LN and the novels are:
The Irresponsible Captain Tylor
The Irresponsible Admiral Tylor
The Irresponsible President Tylor

Now I really want to know more about them.

Everything I've heard about the light novels for Captain Tylor amounts to "the anime was better". As far as I know they haven't been translated into English at all.

Jarmel

Banned
AOTW0602.png

Physical abuse is a staple of Japanese melodrama.
I wasn't really planning on commenting on Classroom Crisis anymore as I decided to drop it the other day as I realized the show was bad and certainly not getting any better but whatever I'll do a quick post on this. Classroom Crisis has almost no redeeming qualities whatsoever. The direction is bad, the animation is mediocre at best, the art direction is nonexistent, the story is meandering, the characters are largely one note, and the premise is lazy as fuck. The only thing that didn't make me drop it in the trash bin long ago was the office politics but after recent episodes I haver zero faith the writers and directors will do anything interesting with it. In many ways it reminds me of a bad Amagi Brilliant Park. Yes har har how can that possibly be, Amagi was already bad, but ABP did a lot of things very well on the directorial and story front that show how badly the concept can go awry.

Despite this being from Kenji Nagasaki, it exudes none of the charm or energy found in Gundam Build Fighters or hell even at the level of No.6, which at least had some good scenes early on. For example the budget for ATEC in the show is constantly cited as the reason ATEC is being closed down but the way it's presented in the show is as some nebulous changing element. There's no real enforcement of this other than them having to downgrade to that warehouse and despite everybody complaining about money or overtime, the direction and writing have done no service as to highlight that. ABP in contrast displayed how much time was left which reinforced the audience visually that time is always a factor and kept the show centered around the original premise, even when there was episodic material.
In Classroom Crisis, none of that directorial work is present which makes the audience wonder why they have a beach/onsen episode except to pander to otakus who want to see the girls in bikinis. There is nothing serving as a core to the work and so the material doesn't come off as lean. It's not just the larger elements but even on a smaller scale such as when more serious events occur, the storyboarding is fairly lackluster and there's been only one case where I thought the lighting helped the direction. Not to mention disastrous episodes like the 2nd one, where it was just a complete infodump in the worst possible manner, only serve to burn out the limited number of episodes the show has. It makes the Idolm@ster intro episode look like a masterpiece in comparison, and that's almost setting the bar on the floor.

I had seen people praise Maruto before the show started and I have no clue why. The setting is a terrible fit for the story that he wants to tell. It seems like he wants to do a scifi office thriller but then for god's sake why did he place it in a high school? The show damn near breaks itself trying to balance something that never should be balanced in the first place. Thanks to this, I imagine if a Patlabor reboot existed nowadays, the show would take place in a high school club or something similar. It's like writers/directors/producers can't step away from that background due to the fear that their show won't sell. For example Nagisa has to go to class despite running a department. Why? Why does this need to happen? I understand they want to force him to interact with his employees so he can save ATEC later but the way it's presented is stupid in nature. ABP had the common sense to do away with the high school, despite the main character being a high school student, and just focus on the park itself. Here we have the show trying to flesh out both the school setting and the ATEC element and failing at both. The ATEC components are half-baked and the high school setting has zilch there that is noteworthy. The episode where Nagisa is failing his exams has been done before in so many different series that I felt like groaning throughout it.
Then we have the characters which are just as bad. Mizuki is quite possibly the most bland human being alive. The only word I can use to describe Mizuki is nice. That's it. She's a nice person. There is nothing else to her character. Iris isn't much better as she hasn't done much other than be deadpan, follow Mizuki around like a lapdog, and is a good pilot/driver. She also has some sort of amnesia due to whatever generic tragedy that happened in her childhood. She's probably the brother of Nagisa or his bodyguard family but who gives a fuck? The show hasn't really attempted to flesh her out other than three short scenes. The only two interesting characters are Nagisa and Kaito and even there, the writing has been completely lackluster. Nagisa's background is almost insulting in that they had to pull out the old trope of physical abuse to make him more likable and pitiable. It's as if the writer had no clue how to make Nagisa more sympathetic to the audience so they pulled out that card. Nagisa's troubles of balancing school life and management have long gotten old both as a joke and a concept as nothing noteworthy has happened on either front. Kaito is fine although not much development with him as occurred other than the fact that he knows how to type up a budget breakdown now. The show repeatedly states that he's supposed to be some legendary genius but it's never really displayed in the work itself. The words I would use to describe him halfway through the show are the exact same ones I would use to describe him in episode 1. He cares about his students, ok, what else? The show feels like it's in some weird circling pattern for both the characters and narrative.

I don't even have anything to say on the animation other than the coloring/shading is bad, the animation has no charm, the models are largely static, the lighting is lackluster, and the backgrounds are some of the worst this season. It leaves no impression whatsoever other than the notion itself that it's unmemorable. They do have good reaction faces though. The colors in the show have this washed out look to them which don't make anything vibrant and the shading on the rocket was so bad that people thought it was CGI despite it being 2D. Just bad decisions all around.
There's also some stupid ninja nonsense which makes me want to rip my eyeballs out.

Sora ga Seiyuu continues to be interesting probably only to me and me alone. I thought they would have run out of jobs to cover, but foreign film dubbing and recording audio books is something I didn't even think voice actors would do. But I guess it makes sense to just do everything, as opposed to the American market where foreign film dubs are no names and audio book readers are either the author or a famous comedian.
I still watch it. Like you mentioned it has offered more than just simply anime voice acting, which I didn't really think of when I started watching the first episode. I just figured they'd keep auditioning and doing anime roles.
My favorite part though is the weekly guest stars, and what I'm going to assume is a personal touch to each of them. Like todays great Rikiya Koyama drinking that veggie juice.

Quasar

I've kind of realized that I seem to just watch adaptions of LN/manga that I've liked.

I've kind of had that problem for a few seasons now. Part of it is caused by sampling source material beforehand to judge whether upcoming anime and then getting sucked into the source material before the anime airs.

Overlord Episode 7

Behold, the great beast that will surely push our skeleton hero to the bri-wait...

BEHOLD FLUFFY THE DESTROYER!

Show continues to be good, though, never quite excellent. I like the humor of our hero not quite getting what he wants, not because of personal failings, but because everyone else is a bit thick.

That said, I do feel like the plot needs to get rolling.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What about
moon girl
??

I will.

Okay.

Well, now I'm conflicted!
I mean, it's your decision, but I've said many many times why I think 11.5 is an important episode that follows 11.

The Knick-desu S1
Well alongside Bojack Horseman here is another anime that doesn't disappoint. The industry might make it after all.
The thing that's the most interesting about this is that they filmed it like a movie with all the scenes in a location shot at once. Which is fine when thinking about a 120 page/2 hour film, but spread out across a 10 hour series it's damn impressive for everyone involved.

I still watch it. Like you mentioned it has offered more than just simply anime voice acting, which I didn't really think of when I started watching the first episode. I just figured they'd keep auditioning and doing anime roles.
My favorite part though is the weekly guest stars, and what I'm going to assume is a personal touch to each of them. Like todays great Rikiya Koyama drinking that veggie juice.
Yeah, I'm enjoying the cameos as well. It really does make the show more "legitimate", like any number of those self-effacing comedies about being in show business. I mean, ultimately I'd like to see like an anime version of Curb or The Comeback or whatever, where the actors playing themselves feel fine with being treated like clowns, but this is probably the closest we'll get.

My line of thought is whenever something is split opinion don't watch/do watch it you should probably watch it and decide for yourself.

This only counts for things that are actually split and not one crazy person telling you that DMC2 is worth playing

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Watch the original Gameboy Color release of Hyouka 11.5 to truly live the original Hyouka experience.

The thing that's the most interesting about this is that they filmed it like a movie with all the scenes in a location shot at once. Which is fine when thinking about a 120 page/2 hour film, but spread out across a 10 hour series it's damn impressive for everyone involved.

My respect for the show just grew immensely more. I might buy the new season on amazon prime when they release episodes. Assuming it's on there.

Despite loving Hyouka, I've never even bothered with watching 11.5. I certainly don't think I missed anything by doing so. It's certainly far from essential for the series.

Durarara X2 19

Well that was a huge shift in tone. Between Shinra
and Mikado
getting the crap beaten out of them by the stalker and
Mikado essentially burning said stalker alive
it's probably the most brutal episode this season.

In the meantime, It took a while but Mikado has actually become a compelling character now. He's far more interesting now then he ever was in the beginning.
And then there's Izaya's "friends."

Still a very good episode though. Looking forward to the next episode.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Despite loving Hyouka, I've never even bothered with watching 11.5. I certainly don't think I missed anything by doing so. It's certainly far from essential for the series.
I mean, that's fine, but I guess I would ask how you would know whether or not you missed something having not seen it?

Then again, I suppose I can't ever know what it's like to have never seen the episode.

Isn't that the pool episode?

While it was better than the average pool episode i mean it isn't like you're missing somethign essential. Then again it's been a while, maybe the sister showed her face there or we found out the MC is addicted to opium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom