• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunday Morning Trump Tweetstorm In Progress RE: Yesterday's NYT Article

HotHamBoy

UPDATE 2 Mods, if there isn't a thread about the NYT article maybe we can change the title of this thread to be more about that?

wZxZaK1.png

He is very slow. It has now been 20 minutes since he posted that.

UPDATE Woops, sorry for the delay. I got distracted waiting for his molasses-covered fingers.
36y4ISN.png

Okay, maybe a bit pre-mature to call it a tweetstorm lol.

Gotta love his 9 months of "accomplishments"

The article:

Promise the Moon? Easy for Trump. But Now Comes the Reckoning.

President Trump leaves little doubt about what he thinks of his predecessor’s top domestic and international legacies. The health care program enacted by President Barack Obama is “outrageous” and “absolutely destroying everything in its wake.” The nuclear deal with Iran is “one of the worst and most one-sided transactions the United States has ever entered into.”

Yet as much as he has set his sights on them, Mr. Trump after nearly nine months in office has not actually gotten rid of either. Instead, in the past few days, he took partial steps to undercut both initiatives and then left it to Congress to figure out what to do next. Whether either will ultimately survive in some form has become a central suspense of Mr. Trump’s first year in office.

In the case of health care, Mr. Trump is making a virtue of necessity. Having failed to push through legislation replacing the Affordable Care Act, he is taking more limited measures on his own authority aimed at chipping away at the law. On the other hand, when it comes to the Iran deal, he has the authority to walk away without anyone else’s consent but has been talked out of going that far by his national security team. Instead, by refusing to recertify the deal, he rhetorically disavows the pact without directly pulling out.

These are not the only instances in which Mr. Trump’s expansive language has not been matched by his actions during this opening phase of his presidency. On immigration, diplomatic relations with Cuba and international accords like the North American Free Trade Agreement and a separate trade pact with South Korea, he has denounced decisions made by Mr. Obama or other previous presidents without fully reversing them.

“The gap between President Trump’s ambitious promises and actual policies is large and growing,” said William C. Inboden, a White House aide under President George W. Bush and now executive director of the William P. Clements Jr. Center on History, Strategy and Statecraft at the University of Texas. “This is weakening the institution of the presidency itself, which becomes diminished when presidents over promise and under deliver, or when responsibilities normally handled by the president become habitually shirked to Congress or other nations.”

Mr. Trump pronounced himself happy with the approach he is taking on health care, which has been the most consuming domestic issue of his presidency so far. “We’re going a little different route,” he told an audience of religious conservatives on Friday. “But you know what? In the end, it’s going to be just as effective, and maybe it’ll even be better.”

Later in the day, he acknowledged that his new strategy on Iran would not actually scrap the nuclear deal but would allow Congress to come up with an alternative. Asked why he did not simply terminate the agreement, he said: “I may very well do that. But I like a two-step process much better.”

Democrats said Mr. Trump’s actions were meant to sabotage the health care program and undermine the Iran deal even without full repeal. By cutting subsidies to insurance companies, “it’s clear the president is trying to sabotage the health care market and send costs soaring,” said Senator Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island. Senator Benjamin L. Cardin of Maryland denounced what he called “the president’s reckless, political decision and his subsequent threat to Congress” on the Iran agreement.

Mr. Trump has taken partial steps on other campaign promises as well. He signed an order scrapping his predecessor’s program granting legal status to as many as 800,000 younger immigrants who were brought to the country illegally as children, but delayed the final effect for six months to give Congress a chance to restore it on a more solid legal foundation. Even then, he suggested that he would find another way to preserve the program if Congress did not meet his deadline.

He has boasted that he was reversing Mr. Obama’s diplomatic opening to Cuba. But while he has pulled out many diplomats and restored some restrictions on contacts with the island, he has not cut off relations again, closed the embassy or shut down travel and other interactions. He has talked about throwing out Nafta, but has actually left it intact and has taken the route of negotiating to see if it can be retained with improved provisions.

“There is now a new and scary spring in his step,” Mr. Kupchan said. “He could be entering a new phase involving fuller takedowns of agreements and institutions. The Iran deal and Nafta are bellwether cases. What’s really interesting is that he fired his chief revolutionary, Steve Bannon, but seems on the verge of taking on that role himself.”

Nodded off between tweets. Low energy.

He continued about twenty minutes later:

"...approvals of The Keystone XL & Dakota Access pipelines. Also, look at the recent EPA cancelations & our great new Supreme Court Justice!"

liquidtmd

Banned

"...approvals of The Keystone XL & Dakota Access pipelines. Also, look at the recent EPA cancelations & our great new Supreme Court Justice!"

I would, but I no longer acknowledge the corrupted entity called the EPA

Everything he mentions is pulling out of something (that is not even complete and done) or stuff that was already done and just needed a signature.

Whenever he needs to actually do something and built something, it fails. How is that wall going, btw?

bengraven

The failing Donald Trump, very low approval ratings, continues to lash out at shadows, afraid of his imminent destruction.

Sad.

rjinaz

Maybe he had a heart attack mid tweet?

Edit: Oh nevermind he did follow it up

...approvals of The Keystone XL & Dakota Access pipelines. Also, look at the recent EPA cancelations & our great new Supreme Court Justice!
5,480 replies 2,611 retweets 11,783 likes

Ithil

That he keeps having to resort to "But Gorsuch" as a accomplishment says it all, given whoever won the presidency was going to be getting an empty seat to fill. It's like listing what colour rug you asked for in the Oval Office as an accomplishment.

Ac30

I can’t believe I’m worried that a piece in the NYT will bait the president into doing something stupid. Fucking hell. Guess we can kiss the JCPOA and NAFTA goodbye after this.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Interesting that everything he calls 'accomplishments' can neatly be labeled as 'contrarian, destructive bullshit' by anyone with an ounce of sense.

sangreal

tpp withdraw - stupid
paris withdraw - stupid
keystole pipeline - stalled
dakota pipeline - congrats, you ran roughshod over natives
epa 'cancelations' - haven't gone through rulemaking process
justice gorsuch - congrats on getting a fundamentalist you probably don't even agree with on the bench by throwing out 200 years of tradition

Legislative accomplishments? None, other than rolling back important regulations that hadn't gone into effect yet. Hurrah, now senile people can continue to buy guns and industrial waste can continue to be dumped in water sources

Sagroth

It bothers me how much I loathe this man. Not because he doesn't deserve loathing(oh, he does), but rather because I didn't know I could detest someone so strongly without ever even meeting them.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Nobody is happy with the Dakota pipelines, even experts said that the pipes would bust anyway and looked what happened, and with that there was controversy with the native Americans there aswell

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Come on.. two tweets is barely a drizzle with this guy.

It's hilarious that he's touting Executive orders as 'accomplishments' though. Same with a stolen SCOTUS seat.

daveo42

Banned
The breaks between tweets are so he could look up additional things he could try and take credit for after running out of "CHINA" and "COAL".

Ithil

May be he stopped tweeting after hearing another Hurricane is about to hit his hotel in Ireland.

We're about to be hit by a hurricane? I should pay attention to the news here more often.
Also, that dipshit has a hotel here? I need to go buy some eggs.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Dude, this Captain Planet villain is way over the top...
As a kid, it always kind of beggared belief with me how Lex Luthor would keep exposing himself as a sociopath and yet Metropolis would always forget and fall under his spell for his next scheme.

Doesn't seem so silly anymore.

Jobbs

Banned
What's more -- The stolen SCOTUS seat is Mitch's accomplishment, not Trump's. Turtleman is responsible for that.

NH Apache

Banned
Interesting. Cancelation is rarely used in the english language. A lesser used variant of cancellation, it sounds like it was not written by someone who primarily uses the english language.

So, who's writing these for him?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Were soon one quarter through his
first
term. Bad PR aside, has he actually done anything of importance and longevity in the crucial first year is the question.

Steel

Banned
The thing he chooses to brag about are... interesting.

He was probably trying to think of things that he actually did.

Top Bottom