• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

BowieZ

Banned
Wow I had no idea the
Zelda progress chime
was actually in this game! Awesome!

Nice nod to SMB3 (warp whistle theme)!

Somehow I completely missed the fact that this was coming out tomorrow. I'm definitely gonna snatch this up. If I find anything particularly mind-blowing, I'll be sure to post about it.

Ydahs

RyougaSaotome said:
Somehow I completely missed the fact that this was coming out tomorrow. I'm definitely gonna snatch this up. If I find anything particularly mind-blowing, I'll be sure to post about it.
Be sure to post impressions, regardless if you find something mind-blowing or not :)

sure am going to buy this after work tomorrow! i played the 1-1 demo in bic camera the other day, didn't glean much but at least i didn't hate the controls.

I'll definitely post some impressions once I get the chance. Gotta head into the city tomorrow anyhow.

I have no idea how I let a pretty high profile Mario game just sneak up on me.

TheExodu5

Banned
Kandinsky said:
Man not being hyped by a Mario game feels so weird :/

Indeed. I don't know why. I mean, I love Mario and was super hyped for NSMB Wii. I'm just going through the motiont this time around.

zigg

TheExodu5 said:
Indeed. I don't know why. I mean, I love Mario and was super hyped for NSMB Wii. I'm just going through the motiont this time around.
It's true; after what the SMGs and (to a slightly lesser extent) NSMB brought to the table, this game seems pretty pedestrian.

But it should be solid nonetheless, and between the extra stuff I've heard about and the purely academic curiosity I have about S3D platforming, I'm still getting it day one.

Punisher

Neo Member
Shiggy said:
Apart from the final two stages in SMG2, I cannot remember any stage looking as tough as this one.

TBH it doesn't look hard to me at all, but watching is ez of course :) Also, what a short stage.

Paid for the game today, will probably only arrive friday...Not super-hyped or anything, and even if the game isn't top notch, I still have to play it :p

Or I could as well dump my 3DS in the trashbin.

A steal by the way for 3.665 yen :p

i really like the look of this one. it's hard to put my finger on why. i wasn't hyped for Galaxy 2 really. probably because it wasn't something different. this mix of old and new is really doing it for me, and the levels look to be very platform oriented.

TreIII

Easily one of the titles I'm most amped to play in November. And that's saying a lot, knowing the amount of games I stand to acquire! :lol

While I like 3D Mario, no 3D Mario was able to quite tickle my fancy as any of the 2D ones. So, it'll be interesting to see if this one finally is the one to sway me.

...Still think it's a crime that for all of the SMB3 throwbacks that are in this game, the Koopalings aren't here, too. Hope we'll see Roy and them again sooner or later.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Same day as Zelda for me here, which will be good, as I can play it on the train ride home.

Sinthetic

EatChildren said:
Same day as Zelda for me here, which will be good, as I can play it on the train ride home.

I'm going to have a nightmare swapping between this and SS. I like to play 1 game at a time, it's going to have to be short bursts of 3D Land on the toilet and before bed.

It's just past midnight on release day in Japan, and like the 3DS launch, the local Geo refused to sell it until 10 am. Why do I even bother.

@MUWANdo

Banned
EatChildren said:

Mario, Zelda AND the AAA tour-de-force that is Cave Story 3D, all in one day!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Any word on framerate? I'm expecting 30 fps, but it would be awesome if they hit 60 like Galaxy. :)

disco

Any sales-age estimates for pre-orders/retail orders? I doubt this will knock the 2D games off their Day 1. pedestals.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Had to skip the OP, because I've been in mostly a media-black out on the title. I know it's a Mario game and spoilers don't really matter, but I made it this far, so I may as well not spoil it now.

disco

The sequel to Step to the Beep is insane. I keep mentally calling it Rock to the Beep and Bounce to the Beep as I've been playing old house and techno all day...

john tv

Partway into world 5, my battery died. Started playing tonight fully charged!

First time a 3DS game has kept my interest long enough to run the battery out.

(Also first time to realize how truly shitty the battery life is. Yeesh.)

Game is really fun. A little easy (perfected the first four worlds without too much effort), but really fun. Diggin' it.

Truth101

Banned
john tv said:

Game is really fun. A little easy (perfected the first four worlds without too much effort), but really fun. Diggin' it.

The
second quest
is supposed to be more difficult. Hope you get there soon, so you can tell us more about it.

Ydahs

john tv said:

How's the 3D effect? And is a world just a name for a level (or a 'galaxy') or is it a world as in 1-1, 1-2, 1-3? If the former, that battery must have drained pretty quickly :/

Truth101

Banned
Ydahs said:
How's the 3D effect? And is a world just a name for a level (or a 'galaxy') or is it a world as in 1-1, 1-2, 1-3? If the former, that battery must have drained pretty quickly :/

World refers to the 8-3.

While level would be the 8-3

I think?

Mik2121

Cheesemeister said:
It's just past midnight on release day in Japan, and like the 3DS launch, the local Geo refused to sell it until 10 am. Why do I even bother.
Yup. Why did you even bother...

I will be going to the Yodobashi Camera close to my house (where I live that's the closest 'store' that sells games and I don't wanna go further early in the morning..) and pick up the game.

Can't wait to play it in just a few hours from now! :_)

Spy

Am I the only one disappointed with how easy the game looks? I'll still pick it up when I get my 3DS but it's not looking too appealing.

TheContact

Man, I don't have TIME to play all these games! I have like 3 unopened games that I haven't gotten around to playing yet =\ This will be another one of them

Sinthetic

Not much ever makes me jealous, but I am damn jealous people are going to finish, talk about and annihilate this game before I even have it in my hands. Not cool man.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Cheese, Mik... tomorrow, we want your report on Media Create Thread for some news from stores about Mario and white 3DS, ok? :)
Apart for this... JAPAN, I HATE YOOOOOUUUUU!!!!!!!! XD

Dr.Hadji

john tv said:

Hah, I can read your posts in your voice now. Pretty neat side effect of listening to 8-4.

lawblob said:
Any idea how long the game is? How many levels should we expect?
seems 2x56, the half is something like SMG2 green stars I believe which is also unlocked after you beat the game; though not sure at all!

Dr.Hadji

walking fiend said:
@John

is it more fluid that NSMB DS? That game was not fluid at all, specially the level design

I swear, its like someone is using a new descriptor for Mario everyday. When you use fluid, what do you mean?

Top Bottom