• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Silent Storm said:
This person has uploaded gameplay footage of the game, also has the final boss recorded so don't watch if you don't want to be spoiled.

http://www.youtube.com/user/asdfkdgija
The true final boss is Peach who is fed up with being kidnapped by losers such as Bowser and being saved by same'ol plumber, and has decided to put and end to all this once and for all?

TheNatural

My Member!
So anyone who has the Japanese version, how long is the game from start to finish (including all "extras" and 100%ing it)?

I have a youtube news comedy series and today's episode is about the upcoming launch of SM3DL. It can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4dVTaQCaio

Just thought I'de share like I usually do when I create a video relating to a topic. Also got ones for Zelda and Mario Kart coming up. Which reminds me I should do one on NeoGAF.

Anywayz: I have'nt looked at any footage of this game at all outside of the E3 Trailers and the trailer on the eShop. Im not spoiling anything. Only ten more days till I get it. Im really excited for it since its the first 3D (Gameplay) Mario game for a handheld. And I love the that the Tanooki suit is back. Cant wait!

Mik2121 said:
Damn... the difference between the
First World
and the
Special World
is massive. Really, I think I spent about 15 lives just trying to collect all medals on the
S3-5 level

Really, even if you get all the way up to
World 8
without any issues, don't think you will be having the same luck all the way through the end :O
Do you mean
between the first playthrough and second or just between the first world as in the first set of levels and the last set, which are Special as in separate like Star Road or something like that? I'm guessing you mean the former but I didn't know that the entire game got harder, do they just throw more enemies in? Or speed stuff up? Or what?

WiiRevolution1 said:
I have a youtube news comedy series and today's episode is about the upcoming launch of SM3DL. It can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4dVTaQCaio

Just thought I'de share like I usually do when I create a video relating to a topic. Also got ones for Zelda and Mario Kart coming up. Which reminds me I should do one on NeoGAF.
Is this you and your parents? You should definitely do one of GAF. If you did a short video like this one I'd be excited to watch it, but if you did like a half-hour documentary type thing where you explain why people post here, what the average GAFfer is like, what goes on in the OT, etc. I'd pay a couple bucks to see it.

Truth101

Banned
dr3upmushroom said:
Do you mean
between the first playthrough and second or just between the first world as in the first set of levels and the last set, which are Special as in separate like Star Road or something like that? I'm guessing you mean the former but I didn't know that the entire game got harder, do they just throw more enemies in? Or speed stuff up? Or what?

Is this you and your parents? You should definitely do one of GAF. If you did a short video like this one I'd be excited to watch it, but if you did like a half-hour documentary type thing where you explain why people post here, what the average GAFfer is like, what goes on in the OT, etc. I'd pay a couple bucks to see it.

He means the first.
Everything should get harder in the second quest, that is what it is meant to be like. Or, that's how it was explained in the Iwata Asks.

Truth101 said:
He means the first.
Everything should get harder in the second quest, that is what it is meant to be like. Or, that's how it was explained in the Iwata Asks.
How though? The only thing's I can think of are
more enemies or a stricter time limit. Maybe less health? Fewer powerups? Making things like Bullet Bills and moving platforms faster? I don't really see how you make a Mario game harder without actually altering the level. Unless it's one of those options, but they seem like kind of a lame, half-assed way to make it harder, when I hear difficult Mario I think difficult platforming.

The spoilers only makes me want the game more.
Crumpet Trumpet said:
omg wow. this is like an amalgamation of every single mario game. lol at
bowser throwing barrels at mario.

I've never Bowser so ...persistent, it's a step up from most of the Bower boss fights before.

Oh, and if
Dry Bowser is just the first special world boss, I can't imagine who how the Bowser or whoever would be like on the last special world castle.

synt4x said:
Holy shit this game is officially fucking out now. But why must we Europeans have to suffer so? And not to mention our Australian cousins. They could release the game right now and be done with it. But no, they're just gonna sit on it until the end of the month and release it on the same fucking day as Zelda! Great. It's gonna be an expensive day.

I can't figure it out either.

Myriadis

dr3upmushroom said:
How though? The only thing's I can think of are
more enemies or a stricter time limit. Maybe less health? Fewer powerups? Making things like Bullet Bills and moving platforms faster? I don't really see how you make a Mario game harder without actually altering the level. Unless it's one of those options, but they seem like kind of a lame, half-assed way to make it harder, when I hear difficult Mario I think difficult platforming.

I just saw the first level of the secret world in this youtube-playlist linked somewhere and compared it to the first level from the normal world. It looks like a completely new level, there's nothing in S1-1 that's similar to W1-1. Given that I only know about the first levels in both worlds, it seems that there are at least some new levels. One thing that showed me that Special World is harder is that there are enemies in the first level that will damage you if you try to jump on them - and they are walking on rather small platforms.

I'm in the middle of World 5, and this is really what a Mario game should be: lots of obstacle courses testing the player's dexterity and inquisitiveness.

It also does away with the pure fluff of star bits from Galaxy and nonsensical enemies dancing to certain beats of repetitive music of the NSMB games.

Yeah, this is awesome.

zigg

Cheesemeister said:
It also does away with the pure fluff of star bits from Galaxy and nonsensical enemies dancing to certain beats of repetitive music of the NSMB games.

But both of those things are awesome. :-/

Sinthetic

I'm happy to read end game spoilers etc, but I draw the line at ruining some awesome levels for myself by watching them on YouTube. Shame on you fellas! *Shakes head*.

Blizzard

Banned
Cheesemeister said:
I'm in the middle of World 5, and this is really what a Mario game should be: lots of obstacle courses testing the player's dexterity and inquisitiveness.

Yeah, this is awesome.
I liked the enemies dancing. That was one of my favorite parts of NSMB. :(

KarmaCow

After watching a couple random videos on that dude's youtube channel I'm warming up to the game. Does the game not have camera control? It's one my major problems with Galaxy and I doubt I'll be playing this in 3D anyway.

KarmaCow said:
After watching a couple random videos on that dude's youtube channel I'm warming up to the game. Does the game not have camera control? It's one my major problems with Galaxy and I doubt I'll be playing this in 3D anyway.
Don't really need it, any more than you'd need camera control in a 2D Mario. Mario only moves in 8 directions.

I only just hit world 2, but I'm really enjoying my time with it so far. Level design is a lot of fun and it feels more reminiscent of what a Mario game should be: fantastic level design etc.

Really dug the 'boss' of world 1. Totally unexpected and very, very cool.

I do miss the orchestral music, though I know that's probably an unreasonable expectation.

zigg said:
Me too! Complainers need to learn to listen to the music and an-ti-ci-pate.
Me too! I didn't like the game, but the first time I noticed that the enemies and flowers and everything dances to the music... so charming! I have fallen in love with Nintendo because of these cute details.

BowieZ

Banned
It's just a fact the dancing enemies in NSMB/W are awesome, and add an extra challenge, although minute, to the platforming. Should've been able to unlock a mode after completing them that speeds up the dancing!

Meanwhile, the only real disappointment I have for SM3DL is the world maps. I hope in the sequel they put that 3D to good use and 3D-ify the SMB3/NSMBW world map style of designs.

ajim

Allan Holdsworth said:
This game is gonna make me buy a 3DS. Damn.
Thats exactly what I'm thinking, and I REALLY wanted to hold off until at least the first 3DS console revision :(

hatchx

Banned
BowieZ said:
It's just a fact the dancing enemies in NSMB/W are awesome, and add an extra challenge, although minute, to the platforming. Should've been able to unlock a mode after completing them that speeds up the dancing!

Meanwhile, the only real disappointment I have for SM3DL is the world maps. I hope in the sequel they put that 3D to good use and 3D-ify the SMB3/NSMBW world map style of designs.

I've been saying this since the Mario 64.

Super Mario World is the only one that ever got it right.

Mik2121

Cheesemeister said:

Yeah, this is awesome.
You just wait until to you get access to the Special levels. Those are the real challenge.

By the time I was in World 8 I had like 150 lives, and now into the Special lives I'm down to around 90 or so, and things keep getting worse :p

mutsu

Got the game last night. Quickly got to World 3 this morning.

This game is quickly climbing up on my list of most favourite Mario games. At the pace it's going, it's already past NSMB, and soon even go past Galaxy 1/2.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Boney said:
I wish I had have done it as well

Suck it Boney.

hatchx said:
I've been saying this since the Mario 64.

Super Mario World is the only one that ever got it right.

Definitely agreed. Nothing has quite matched it yet.

artwalknoon said:
Don't know if this video has been shared or not. Its basically Mario (his voice) introducing the 3ds and all its features. For some reason it really disturbed me, like I was immediately put off by it. I think part of the reason is that we've never heard mario talk that much continuously ever. Something about it doesn't seem right: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYa7G467_Yo&feature=player_embedded
Uploader comment nails it: "I can't help but think of Charles Martinet in a recording studio whenever I hear Mario these days - especially if I just hear the voice with no Mario in sight."

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Are there ANY deals going on for this game at ALL? Gift cards, $$$ off, decent freebies... all I know of is the Tanooki keychain.

mutsu

I really like the fact that the game has almost ZERO text. It was one of the most annoying thing ever in NSMB.

Also, I was very surprised to be thrown right into the action without any tutorial whatsoever. Having played Galaxy you would at least think there are some visual clues on screen that teaches you how to play the game, but no! The only visual clue so far is press L to go into a pipe. Really like how clean the game is.

DavidDayton said:
Are there ANY deals going on for this game at ALL? Gift cards, $$$ off, decent freebies... all I know of is the Tanooki keychain.
@ Target you get a $5 gift card when you pick it up. Just pick up one of the cards. hurry though, it says to not sell the cards after Nov. 6 for that.

Mario Kart also has the same deal, but it says not to sell it after Nov. 27

10 days! :D

Vire

Man I love IGN...

Screen%20Shot%202011-11-03%20at%2011.14.10%20PM.png

I feel like this has been understated, but SM3DL is REALLY pretty. Because of the simple visual style, the graphics are super clean. Kind of like how the Galaxy games looked gorgeous despite not being filled with graphical details.

The 3D also works exceptionally well, and I find myself not wanting to play with it off. In some ways it's actually easier to play with it on, due to the overhead sequences. I'm not a big fan of 3D at all but Nintendo clearly thought this one through.

And as noted earlier by others, the lack of text is really refreshing. The game doesn't hold your hand with tutorials.

Blizzard said:
I liked the enemies dancing. That was one of my favorite parts of NSMB. :(

No, it lead to nothing but waiting around for the "wah-wahs" and thus breaking any sort of flow. It also resulted in a lack of music variety, which is remedied and well-balanced in SM3DL.

zigg said:
Me too! Complainers need to learn to listen to the music and an-ti-ci-pate.

I'd rather be pulling off some mind-bending acrobatics than stopping to wait for yet another crescendo.

walking fiend said:
Me too! I didn't like the game, but the first time I noticed that the enemies and flowers and everything dances to the music... so charming! I have fallen in love with Nintendo because of these cute details.

I know Kondo was all proud of the feature and it sounds like a good idea on paper, but it was simply an inherently broken annoyance.

mutsu said:
I really like the fact that the game has almost ZERO text. It was one of the most annoying thing ever in NSMB.

Also, I was very surprised to be thrown right into the action without any tutorial whatsoever. Having played Galaxy you would at least think there are some visual clues on screen that teaches you how to play the game, but no! The only visual clue so far is press L to go into a pipe. Really like how clean the game is.

Yes, thankfully this game lets players just jump right in without lecturing them with endless tutorials or a shallow story. I don't want to scroll through the same text between every level. It has that feeling of "conveyance" missing in so many modern games.

Top Bottom