• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Thoraxes

RyougaSaotome said:
I feel like this has been understated, but SM3DL is REALLY pretty. Because of the simple visual style, the graphics are super clean. Kind of like how the Galaxy games looked gorgeous despite not being filled with graphical details.

The 3D also works exceptionally well, and I find myself not wanting to play with it off. In some ways it's actually easier to play with it on, due to the overhead sequences. I'm not a big fan of 3D at all but Nintendo clearly thought this one through.

And as noted earlier by others, the lack of text is really refreshing. The game doesn't hold your hand with tutorials.
I would imagine the game looks way better running on the actual system then some video we got too.

Thoraxes said:
I would imagine the game looks way better running on the actual system then some video we got too.

This. Screenshots and video haven't done a great job of representing the game on a visual level.

Probably the best overall looker of the current gen of 3DS games.

Vire said:
Man I love IGN...

Screen%20Shot%202011-11-03%20at%2011.14.10%20PM.png

Silly headlines, but I'm still buying both. Although SM3DL is still my most anticipated for the year.

Thoraxes said:
I thought it looked weirdly blurry on the video preview thing you can download from the eShop. I'm not sure how indicative that is of the final game, but I was sort of disappointed. It wasn't bad enough to make look bad really, but compared to other games and even other preview videos like Mario Kart, it definitely had a blurry, low-res look to it.

Celine

RyougaSaotome said:
The 3D also works exceptionally well, and I find myself not wanting to play with it off. In some ways it's actually easier to play with it on, due to the overhead sequences. I'm not a big fan of 3D at all but Nintendo clearly thought this one through.
Is the ghosting absent in the "normal view" as Iwata Asks implied?

@MUWANdo

Banned
dr3upmushroom said:
I thought it looked weirdly blurry on the video preview thing you can download from the eShop. I'm not sure how indicative that is of the final game, but I was sort of disappointed. It wasn't bad enough to make look bad really, but compared to other games and even other preview videos like Mario Kart, it definitely had a blurry, low-res look to it.

This is a chronic issue with pre-release 3DS media - screenshots, videos, you name it, it's all unflattering and rarely indicative of how the game actually looks, even the games that are genuinely ugly. In the case of videos it's usually due to them running at a lower framerate than the source material, or by them being poorly-encoded videos in general, but sometimes I really have no idea.

SmokyDave

RyougaSaotome said:
I feel like this has been understated, but SM3DL is REALLY pretty. Because of the simple visual style, the graphics are super clean. Kind of like how the Galaxy games looked gorgeous despite not being filled with graphical details.

And as noted earlier by others, the lack of text is really refreshing. The game doesn't hold your hand with tutorials.
Aaah, the wait for the 18th is killing me!

I love the 3D on the 3DS so it's great to hear that it's put to good use.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Added Cheese, enishi, Ryouga, and mutsu's impressions to the OP. Keep em coming!

BowieZ said:
haha i actually notated that version from scratch from a trailer. that's not the ACTUAL theme recording lolol. those synths came from my macbook pro :p

I figured. Love the tune though.

panda21

BowieZ said:
haha i actually notated that version from scratch from a trailer. that's not the ACTUAL theme recording lolol. those synths came from my macbook pro :p

wow thats pretty impressive. is there a long version of the actual music?

Just finished the game and
started on the special levels. Only played 1-1 and the castle, where I got Luigi. Classic Tanooki!!!! Holy Crap!!!!
Absolutely brilliant. The controls are a little difficult with the stick occasionally, particularly for the
Bowser fight at the end when my thumbstick gets sweaty
but so great! This is exactly what I wanted the game to be. Only way it can get better is if there are more awesome references to come like
the Yoshi's Cookie and Donkey Kong shoutouts and Super mario RPG looking cloud levels and new power ups.

Totally perfect that yesterday was a holiday in Japan and I could play it so much and that I had a half day today. Gotta put it down for now. Too much awesome.

panda21

BowieZ said:
I can't find it anywhere (that without sound fx, I presume you mean); I'm checking a couple other sites though.

In meantime, this is a higher quality version from my channel which that person ripped lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYDV3KP-fAw

sound fx is fine, i've not been following any media for it so I dont know which trailer its from, I checked a few trailers and they were different music

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

zigg

Cheesemeister said:
...it lead to nothing but waiting around for the "wah-wahs" and thus breaking any sort of flow... I'd rather be pulling off some mind-bending acrobatics than stopping to wait for yet another crescendo.
It's not like they suddenly became screen-filling impassible walls of flame on certain beats. They just moved a little differently. I don't understand why you felt you needed to stop and wait for them.

zigg said:
It's not like they suddenly became screen-filling impassible walls of flame on certain beats. They just moved a little differently. I don't understand why you felt you needed to stop and wait for them.

In some cases, not as a rule. It of course depended on Mario's position in relation to the enemies. It was rather annoying, though.

Mik2121

I'm right now on World 6 (Special) and this keeps getting better. But I guess after World 8 then it will truly be the end. Wonder if there's something else yet to unlock.. though I guess nope..

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Mik2121 said:
I'm right now on World 6 (Special) and this keeps getting better. But I guess after World 8 then it will truly be the end. Wonder if there's something else yet to unlock.. though I guess nope..
Do you confirm there is a time attack mode for street pass?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Impressions now have parts bolded for skim reading. Tried to be Fair and Balanced™ with what I highlighted.

Andrex said:
Impressions now have parts bolded for skim reading. Tried to be Fair and Balanced™ with what I highlighted.

Right on. Would it be too much trouble to put them in quote boxes or otherwise add attributions? Nevermind, saw the images.

Natiko

Banned
Still no Amazon release date delivery on this. I'd rather not have to bother going out and getting it but at this rate..sigh.

Mik2121

marc^o^ said:
Do you confirm there is a time attack mode for street pass?
I have yet to see any, but even if there is, it only has a small display that says "Time Record" (or something like that), then your Mii face and the time itself. The face and time keeps rotating showing other people's times, so I guess there you can see the people you've done street pass with.

However, I've done streetpass with 8 people that owns Mario already, and I have yet to see any. I will check again later see if they show up, but I kinda doubt it...

Mik2121

Sinthetic said:
Get your best time attack runs nailed cause in 2 weeks I'm gonna leave you all for dust.
I tried the same level about 20 times to get a great time record. The level is one of the Special ones, but I made it in 47 seconds. I will edit this saying which world, and you better note it down and try to beat me whenever it releases :D

According to the electronic instruction manual -- the only paper manual included is a set of control diagrams -- StreetPass is used to exchange Mystery Boxes and receive items.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I thought I read about a time attack mode somewhere. That's a missed opportunity then, it would have been nice to increase replay value.

i'm through world 4 and haven't found it remotely challenging so far (i say this as someone who thought NSMB wii was hard as hell and have never even finished super mario bros), but it's really brilliant. the way everything works together is just wonderfully thought-out, with cute touches that'll make you smile every ten seconds from nothing more than the ingenuity of it all.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I wonder what collecting all the Star Medals does.

Are there little star icons next to your save file or whatever, a la NSMB?

marc^o^ said:
I thought I read about a time attack mode somewhere. That's a missed opportunity then, it would have been nice to increase replay value.

It was mentioned in the Iwata Asks. You don't unlock the ability to record your times until you beat the main game, which may be why he hasn't received anyone elses' times via StreetPass.

Effect

Natiko said:
Still no Amazon release date delivery on this. I'd rather not have to bother going out and getting it but at this rate..sigh.
There won't be any option for it. Nintendo releases their games on Sundays. In order for release date delivery to work, and to factor in mail isn't delivered on Sundays, Amazon would need to ship games out at least that Friday or Saturday to arrive on that Monday. Why they don't do this I don't know. They'd just need to put up a short note explaining the issue. Seems to be an acceptable deal instead of having to wait for them to ship out Nintendo games that Monday and get it that Thursday to Saturday if you go for standard shipping.

This is why I went and preordered Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword from my local Best Buy. Still haven't decided if I'll do the same for Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7. Amazon with free shipping would be cheaper in the long run and I can wait for the games to arrive.

Peru

time attack mode is such a great, logical addition. best part of any platformer, whether it's a mode or not.

@MUWANdo said:
I wonder what collecting all the Star Medals does.

Are there little star icons next to your save file or whatever, a la NSMB?

Certain levels require having a certain number of Star Medals to be unlocked. If you don't have enough, you can just go on to the next level.

Star icons are shown for each level and world. I'm not sure about whether they're shown next to the save file, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Mik2121

345triangle said:
i'm through world 4 and haven't found it remotely challenging so far (i say this as someone who thought NSMB wii was hard as hell and have never even finished super mario bros), but it's really brilliant. the way everything works together is just wonderfully thought-out, with cute touches that'll make you smile every ten seconds from nothing more than the ingenuity of it all.
Use those stages to rack up extra lives. You will need them further down the line.. :)

Sinthetic

Mik2121 said:
I tried the same level about 20 times to get a great time record. The level is one of the Special ones, but I made it in 47 seconds. I will edit this saying which world, and you better note it down and try to beat me whenever it releases :D

I'm ready like Freddy!

TheNatural

My Member!
Diomedeskun said:
Just finished the game and
started on the special levels. Only played 1-1 and the castle, where I got Luigi. Classic Tanooki!!!! Holy Crap!!!!
Absolutely brilliant. The controls are a little difficult with the stick occasionally, particularly for the
Bowser fight at the end when my thumbstick gets sweaty
but so great! This is exactly what I wanted the game to be. Only way it can get better is if there are more awesome references to come like
the Yoshi's Cookie and Donkey Kong shoutouts and Super mario RPG looking cloud levels and new power ups.

Totally perfect that yesterday was a holiday in Japan and I could play it so much and that I had a half day today. Gotta put it down for now. Too much awesome.

How long did it take you to finish? Just wondering what the playtime in this is.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
EatChildren said:
Definitely not 60.
That's a damn shame. Despite its outdated visuals, the DS routinely delivered games at 60 fps. I was really hoping Nintendo would nail the performance with Mario.

Top Bottom